NICHQ Reviews

Updated Feb 27, 2020

NICHQ President and CEO Scott Berns (no image)
Scott Berns
  1. "A bright star in a constellation of Boston-based nonprofits"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at NICHQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

At NICHQ, you will have the opportunity to do your part to improve health outcomes for children through systems change nationwide. The people at NICHQ typically embody the mission of the organization – they work hard in their capacity to improve health outcomes for children through systems change. Whatever your future position there may be, you will probably learn a lot about systems change and our nation’s health system by doing the work. It’s actually really interesting. Whether you’re a newcomer or a mid-career professional, I highly recommend this organization as a good career move.

Cons

None that I encountered, however, the subject matter can be emotionally challenging to discover how many children and families slip through the gaps in our local, regional and federal health systems. The bright side of this is knowing that the work you do *will* help fill those gaps by improving the health systems responsible for ensuring that children can develop and grow healthy and strong.

2. "Great Mission!! Great CEO and HR Manager"

4.0

I worked at NICHQ part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great CEO and HR

Cons

Lack of Diversity and support for HR and Admin staff

Continue reading

"great learning environment for starting out in public health"

I worked at NICHQ full-time

Pros

great learning environment for starting out in public health

Cons

low pay even for a non-profit

4. "Stay away"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time

Pros

Nice employees, although most unhappy.

Cons

Poor executive leadership. Org lacks direction. Financially unstable. CEO and COO don't respect employees. High employee turnover.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in Downtown Crossing, MA

I worked at NICHQ for less than a year

Pros

I can’t think of one Pro comment to share.

Cons

The CEO and COO were the rudest and manipulative people I have ever worked for. Both were out right rude and only perceived to be driven to what the organization worked for when they entertained prospective donors. I had to papers tossed at me, glared looks, rolled eyes at me, both COO and CEO asked for me to schedule time with them and then never were at the meeting, canceled last minute or just said they were too busy. How can anyone do a good job with no guidance?

Continue reading

"Powerful mission and great people"

I worked at NICHQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working to support/fulfill a deeply compelling mission across many areas of children’s health and healthcare. The organization attracts very smart and passionate people with deep content and other expertise. Including employees, board members, and other collaborators. They bring so much to their work and helping kids and families. I learned a great deal. It’s wonderful that many bright people build great knowledge and skills at NICHQ for a few years and launch into other awesome work in nonprofits, government and other places to continue to help kids and families in health and beyond.

Cons

Small/medium nonprofits (all that I’ve worked at) are challenged to build and maintain a diverse funding base. It is not unique to NICHQ and not unexpected given the type of work and being in midst of a robust non-profit sector. Growth in funding diversity improved recently at NICHQ and bodes well for the future. It can be hard in such sized organizations to create enough capacity for day to day work and bigger vision work. Building a team based on needs and strengths goes a long way and was also improving at NICHQ and bodes well for the future.

May 23, 2018President and CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience working at NICHQ. I am so happy to hear it was positive and we truly appreciate the constructive feedback you provided for management. As you know, NICHQ is a fast-growing organization, and we value all our employees’ input, work, and passion. We are glad we had the opportunity to work with you and wish you well with your career. Best regards, Scott Berns President and CEO

"Memorable for all the wrong reasons...."

Former Contractor - Temporary EA in Boston, MA

I worked at NICHQ

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the NICHQ mission of improving healthcare for children and their families. A noble mission, for sure, but I wasn't there long enough to determine how effective the organization is in achieving their goals.

Cons

Gosh… where to begin. Though I worked there a few days, it was a memorable experience – for all the wrong reasons. To start, the other employees in the office were not very friendly, which could be a sign of them being very overworked and stressed, or they may just be that unfriendly. Then there’s the physical environment. Cramped, stuffy office; a single two-stalled women’s bathroom used by at least 30 people on a daily basis – need I say what it smells like by the end of the day? Tiny kitchen with refrigerator stuffed with old food. There is a ‘kitchen fairy’ volunteer schedule, where employees sign up for kitchen clean up duty every week. However, like the ladies’ rest room, it’s a very small resource used by too many people. My first day, I was given a brief tour of the office, then plopped down at the front reception desk. I was asked to go through all of the prior email messages to figure out ‘what needed to be done’ in my new role, which was provide admin support to and manage the calendars of the CEO and COO. Funny thing is, what I noticed most was how many people had cycled through this role in the past year. I counted eight since August 2017 (!) And the email address name for this role? 'officetemp@.....' And then there’s the guy who runs it all – the CEO. To describe him as arrogant would be kind. Example: when a package was slipped under the door, he pushed it into the reception area with his foot, let me know it was on the floor, and actually asked me if I was going to come over to ‘pick it up’. I’m sure he sensed my my incredulity to his ‘request’, as he then claimed to have back problems and didn’t want to injure himself bending over to pick up the package. I didn't have much interaction with the COO. She seemed like a nice enough woman.

May 23, 2018President and CEO

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am disappointed to hear about your experience here at NICHQ. This is not what we want for any of our valued staff, whether temporarily or permanently employed. We are a team-driven organization, where every employee, including our leadership team, are willing to step in and help. We appreciate your feedback regarding the women’s restroom. These shared facilities are provided and maintained by an outside vendor and we will provide this feedback to them. Best regards, Scott Berns President and CEO

8. "NICHQ"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at NICHQ

Pros

Good & kind co-workers; positive work environment

Cons

In 12 months, leadership got rid of 5 people (~30 p office) without much explanation. Took toll on morale

May 23, 2018President and CEO

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good experience at NICHQ. We aim to create a positive work environment. As we continue to grow, it is important to us that all of our employees feel appreciated and supported. Best regards, Scott Berns President and CEO

"Micro management"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time

Pros

good snacks and good location

Cons

micromanagement. no trust in employess

May 23, 2018President and CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We gather feedback from our employees annually through our employee engagement survey. Our employees are our greatest asset, and we continue to strive to provide them with the support they need to be successful. Best regards, Scott Berns President and CEO

10. "Current Employee Review"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

The passionate, hard working staff are amazing. The mission is inspiring and the content is strong. The impact you have on children's lives here will be great.

Cons

Constant staff turnover, lack of leadership.

May 23, 2018President and CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience at NICHQ during our leadership transition. We strive for employee satisfaction and retention by continuing to improve our organizational culture, as we understand how important our employees’ satisfaction is to achieve our mission. Best regards, Scott Berns President and CEO

Found 16 reviews