NICHQ Reviews | Glassdoor

NICHQ Reviews

3.3
Scott Berns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A bright star in a constellation of Boston-based nonprofits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at NICHQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At NICHQ, you will have the opportunity to do your part to improve health outcomes for children through systems change nationwide. The people at NICHQ typically embody the mission of the organization – they work hard in their capacity to improve health outcomes for children through systems change. Whatever your future position there may be, you will probably learn a lot about systems change and our nation’s health system by doing the work. It’s actually really interesting. Whether you’re a newcomer or a mid-career professional, I highly recommend this organization as a good career move.

Cons

None that I encountered, however, the subject matter can be emotionally challenging to discover how many children and families slip through the gaps in our local, regional and federal health systems. The bright side of this is knowing that the work you do *will* help fill those gaps by improving the health systems responsible for ensuring that children can develop and grow healthy and strong.

"great learning environment for starting out in public health"

I worked at NICHQ full-time

Pros

great learning environment for starting out in public health

Cons

low pay even for a non-profit

3. "Stay away"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time

Pros

Nice employees, although most unhappy.

Cons

Poor executive leadership. Org lacks direction. Financially unstable. CEO and COO don't respect employees. High employee turnover.

"Powerful mission and great people"

I worked at NICHQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working to support/fulfill a deeply compelling mission across many areas of children’s health and healthcare.

The organization attracts very smart and passionate people with deep content and other expertise. Including employees, board members, and other collaborators. They bring so much to their work and helping kids and families. I learned a great deal.

It’s wonderful that many bright people build great knowledge and skills at NICHQ for a few years and launch into other awesome work in nonprofits, government and other places to continue to help kids and families in health and beyond.

Cons

Small/medium nonprofits (all that I’ve worked at) are challenged to build and maintain a diverse funding base. It is not unique to NICHQ and not unexpected given the type of work and being in midst of a robust non-profit sector. Growth in funding diversity improved recently at NICHQ and bodes well for the future.

It can be hard in such sized organizations to create enough capacity for day to day work and bigger vision work. Building a team based on needs and strengths goes a long way and was also improving at NICHQ and bodes well for the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage employees, board and others (as appropriate) in the vision and strategic work to ensure funding diversity and organizational capacity progress is maintained and supported. Keep finding and growing great people and launching them and the work forward.

May 23, 2018 – President and CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience working at NICHQ. I am so happy to hear it was positive and we truly appreciate the constructive feedback you provided for management. As you know, NICHQ is a... More

"Micro management"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time

Pros

good snacks and good location

Cons

micromanagement. no trust in employess

May 23, 2018 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We gather feedback from our employees annually through our employee engagement survey. Our employees are our greatest asset, and we... More

6. "Current Employee Review"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The passionate, hard working staff are amazing. The mission is inspiring and the content is strong. The impact you have on children's lives here will be great.

Cons

Constant staff turnover, lack of leadership.

May 23, 2018 – President and CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience at NICHQ during our leadership transition. We strive for employee satisfaction and retention by continuing to improve our organizational culture, as we... More

7. "Project Director"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

mission, worklife balance, culture, types of project, and staff

Cons

changing leadership, grant funded and therefore at times unstable

8. "Many good things, not very stable"

I have been working at NICHQ full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, good mission, sometimes interesting work, support for decent work/life balance, friendly culture.

Cons

Not much trust in management, policies and procedures change frequently, funding not stable, cliquish, very hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Bring in skilled and experienced management. Prioritize management and interpersonal skills in leaders.

9. "NICHQ - Mission/driven organization"

Current Employee - Administration in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administration in Boston, MA

I have been working at NICHQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Mission is critical to optimal health for children

Cons

Work-life balance is challenging as this is a small non-profit

Advice to Management

Continue to engage internal and external stakeholders and never lose sight of the mission

"Actions speak louder than words"

Pros

Wonderful, passionate, smart workforce. Truly good people.

Cons

Disconnect between executive team and the rest of the workforce. See below.

Advice to Management

Executives at NICHQ are fond of referring to the organization as a "family." I would advise against this practice. It's a workplace, and a very financially unstable one (which is the nature of being a grant-funded non-profit) that can't bank on keeping all of its family members. ,

Why I advise against this false sense of family:
    During a stream of layoffs, some members of the executive team and high-level directors didn't bat an eyelash as those who just lost their jobs packed up their desks. At a large, corporate organization, this might sound normal, but NICHQ praises itself heavily on deeply respecting its "people."

I recall one executive team member, in particular, loudly laughed at something in their office in earshot of everyone who was clearing out their desks, acting like nothing was happening. People notice these things. These experiences stay with people who go on to progress in the field, and they stay with those who lost their coworkers and friends and continue working. You lose your credibility as a "family" after putting everyone through experiences that feel full of hypocrisy, and with that you chip away at the heart, commitment and passion of your remaining workforce.

Hearing NICHQ called a "family" is cringe-inducing after you know about a coworker's heartbreaking layoff experience.

Next time, show the people you are laying off that you sincerely appreciated and valued their work and time. Take some time to really do that. You can still show compassion and be human -- no one thinks this is fun for anyone. Tell your highest level staff members to show compassion and not ignore people as they leave. The remaining workforce will know how you handled the layoffs, whether you do it privately or publicly. Why not end an employee's tenure on the most positive note you can? It's in everyone's best interest to do so.

Finally, be genuinely transparent about who you are at the end of the day: a business that needs to sustain itself, not a family.