Nanigans Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.6
Nanigans Co-founder & CEO Ric Calvillo (no image)
Ric Calvillo
Pros
  • "Free lunch every day, as well as plenty of snacks(in 15 reviews)

• "Nanigans has developed great software, a testament to hiring smart people and staying very committed to their core customer base's needs(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work / Life balance nonexistent(in 5 reviews)

• "There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures(in 4 reviews)

"Redefining Success within the Re-targeting Landscape"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Ae in New York, NY

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Technology focused company with a track record of building innovative & effective tech stack - Good culture with strong employee support structure in place - Work w/ A list customers, some of the top performance oriented brands in the world - Flexible policy on working remotely when needed

Cons

- Very narrow customer target list; the various factors that make up our ideal customer can be limiting at times - Facebook is our largest source of revenue while at the same time they are our biggest competitor; why we've diversified our platform to be fully cross-channel and full funnel

January 15, 2018VP

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are dedicated to maintaining our unique and collaborative work with some of the world’s largest consumer brands as we grow. Facebook has been a great partner and we recognize at times clients can see their native tools as a competing solution, but as you mentioned, that is one reason (among many) we’ve moved to be a cross-channel solution. Your feedback around equity is noted and our finance/HR teams are always looking to ensure our current approach is competitive within the market.

2. "roller coaster ride of a lifelong startup"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Nanigans full-time

Pros

Had lots of great people with a wonderful sense of camaraderie

Cons

Lots of shifts in direction

"Great startup for technology-aficionados / aficionadas and hands-on doers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Into: I am not a big fan of reviews on glassdoor. Just like many other companies, the picture rendered here is mostly biased by either disgruntled former staff, by individuals who try to compensate for lack of skills with overly positive reviews (those are mostly the reviews easy to connect to an individual). I took some time to let emotions fade and am now ready to produce a review which I think includes some aspects that are missing amongst the other reviews. For the average job seeker I think it is important to know these aspects to establish cultural fit. Nanigans is a great (and very typical) startup company. ‘Startup’ is mostly defined by few individuals having disproportionate amounts of capital invested into some idea which is usually not yet profitable. Hence, the few stakeholders will try to exercise their leverage and pull rank occasionally in order to achieve profitability/success rather sooner than later. Quite frankly, I’d do the same. Pros: Culture - Maybe the company with the most amazing culture I have seen so far. I still entertain a great relation with many current and former employees and could not say anything bad about the intra-company relation and how a startup culture is exercised. Nanigans provides lunch, snacks, fruits, sodas and more in some very nice office space in downtown Boston. The events Nanigans organizes are the ones you want to be invited to. Super-strong bias on Technology - Nanigans is trying to accomplish their goals, leveraging state-of-the-art technology. Many of the technologies used at Nanigans are a dream at other companies. Nanigans does not shy away from the risk introducing new technologies. Excellent existing product on Facebook Channel - Nanigans introduced a groundbreaking product years ago. The product is data-driven and provides insights into the business processes that any in-house marketing team dreams about. The product is still way ahead of the competition in those areas and hence, Nanigans still maintains significant clients with social paid. The list of companies using Nanigans Socal Paid product sounds like the who-is-who of companies I’d like to have in my address book.

Cons

Lack of investment into existing products - the aforementioned product for Social Paid fell behind Facebook’s aggressive roadmap. Just like ALL other companies competing in that space, Nanigans had to focus on some core areas and cover the bases they think are most relevant for their existing business. Marketing on Facebook becomes more and more a thing you do with … guess.... Yes, Facebook. Keeping existing customers is hard, winning new revenue streams is even harder. Keep in mind, Nanigans is still maintaining significant amounts of Facebook business. This fact is to me an important indicator for Nanigans being able to kick-start new business and develop their new product successfully. Slow speed with new products - Nanigans has some great ideas (I am out for too long to write about it and also think it would be borderline unethical, but reach out to them and they will tell you) and are currently trying to win customers, convince the market. TMO this should go more aggressively and faster. Company Structure - The company is driven by the CEO. There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures. If you come in and help Nanigans to establish and adhere to such structure, you could be the winner. (Needless to say, I wasnt) Communication - the company is simply too small to be anything but super-transparent. But, unfortunately it is not. Communication was the weakest part and caused a lot of frustration with some disenfranchised employees.

April 26, 2018VP

Thank you for drafting such a detailed and thoughtful review. It’s great to see that you still maintain a relationship with so many current and former team members. We also greatly appreciate your kind words on our culture as this is an area we continue to put investment in. You’re right about the challenges we face around keeping up with the rapid pace of development at Facebook. This is one of the main reasons we’re diversifying our revenue streams and adding “stickiness” to the platform by rolling out cross-channel solutions to the challenges that today’s performance advertisers face. Your advice on moving faster is well noted. We strive to bring new innovations to market as quickly as possible while maintaining the quality our reputation was built on. Finally, communicating across the org is something that we’re continually striving to improve on. We’re now holding more robust/frequent all-hands & posting more internal updates via Slack/email; all in order to build a fostering an environment where every team member has the visibility they need to succeed.

4. "Smart, fun company whose customers are the best e-commerce players."

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technology is the real deal- and there are not many companies for which this is true. Very smart, fun and collaborative people. Lots of spirited company events that we still talk about years later. Nanigans has done a great job proactively adapting as a strategic marketing partner of Facebook. Nanigans seeks to deliver true value through data for its customers- no obfuscation, no bs.

Cons

Focus on Facebook has been good for Nanigans, but it means they are dependent on one platform, that's very powerful. Nanigans may have done a subtle pivot in the last year, but i'm not sure about all the details.

"Unless you are a junior professional looking for a resume boost, stay far, far away"

1.0

I have been working at Nanigans

Pros

If you are a more junior professional looking for experience and knowledge of the industry, that opportunity exists at Nanigans. The hours are relatively relaxed and they have unlimited vacation and sick time. The new RTB product has the potential to be promising if handled correctly.

Cons

You are not working for a democracy at Nanigans. You are working for a dictatorship. The CEO's word is the only word that matters, regardless of your level of expertise in your field. Management is so aggressively micro-managing that employees have no free range to do what they think is right for the product and company, they simply play follow the leader all day. Engineers are held in higher regard to the rest of the company, openly and unapologetically. Culture is an atrocity -- if you are a female you will feel more comfortable in a Southern frat house with no clothes on. If you are sober or recovering, DO NOT WORK HERE. The only culture that exists is drinking. Expectations, deadlines and the direction of the company and product turn on a dime with little to no logic. Changes are not communicated to staff. Promotion is based on closeness with the CEO and not on skill or talent, leading to a management team that, while great at their skill of choice, is completely clueless about management tactics.

January 12, 2018VP

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. You’re clearly a passionate team member whose voice should be heard. We’re happy to hear you recognize the growth and learning opportunities Nanigans can provide to new team members, as well as the benefits of flexible time off for work/life balance. I am very sorry that your overall experience is not matching our intention of providing an amazing place for everyone to work. As we build out our promising new RTB technology, we understand how it may seem that engineering has been prioritized in some ways. This is true for many SaaS companies moving fast to build industry-first technologies, but the company’s success depends on every team—not just engineering. The executive team is working to better ensure all teams recognize their critical role in our shared success. Management is often faced with having to make quick decisions that have long term impacts, as our industry is changing so rapidly. However, we absolutely need to do a better job of communicating the reasoning behind these decisions to our employees in a clear and timely manner. I encourage you to ask any questions that you may have during our quarterly all-hands meetings. Finally, we’re also actively recruiting for a Director of People Operations to help move our company culture forward as we grow. Your feedback will help us make Nanigans and better place.

"Abysmal engineering standards and bad engineering management"

2.0

I worked at Nanigans full-time

Pros

- product leadership was solid - data science / data engineering was solid - CEO is smart and approachable

Cons

- every engineering system I worked on was an absolute disaster with the exception of the data science and RTB code base - mediocre to awful technical architects were promoted to senior engineering leadership positions and institutionalized their bad choices / engineering culture, it's hard to reverse this - refusal to fire people who were net negative contributors on engineering team (contributed more technical debt than any problems they solved) - constant re-inventing of the wheel to come up with uniquely terrible solutions to already solved problems; there is next to no use of common software best practices

January 12, 2018VP

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I’m glad to hear that you found our CEO Ric Calvillo approachable and smart. We feel that having a CEO with an open door policy who interacts with everyone from new team members to seasoned vets at the company is a unique strength of ours. You mention some concerns about leadership within our technical teams and to be incredibly candid we’ve made some changes over the past quarter (Q4 2017) and are looking for a new engineering executive who can guide our engineering team to new heights and elevate our infrastructure. Your advice is well taken and we’ve already used some of it to move the company forward.

"Exciting time with bright prospects, but obstacles do exist."

I have been working at Nanigans full-time

Pros

-A lot of autonomy in your work environment -Blue chip brands/some of the most exciting companies on the planet as clients -Many employees go on to work for Facebook, Snapchat, or in-house performance marketing teams -A product launch this year that is truly disruptive and is resonating with prospects -Free lunch everyday plus unlimited PTO and great office/location in DTX -The CEO cares an extreme amount about the product and changing the status quo within the industry

Cons

-In the past, their perhaps has not been as solid of vision for the company as it exists now, but the north star has been established and we're trying to move their at lightspeed -Facebook has been marginalizing the FMP ecosystem and it's been tough on all FMPs (not just Nanigans) to keep up with the innovations at FB. However, this is why Nanigans is diversifying it's solutions and revenues to be truly cross-channel. -Their has been turnover, but you'll see that at any start-up/tech company. Some hires ended up not working out or were great people, but just not right for a particular role. If you're considering a role here worry about who your supervisor will be and the renewed focus of the company.

January 12, 2018VP

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We very much appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you believe in our vision for the future.

"Good place to work, plenty of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

great and clever people, good social life.

Cons

The company seems to lack of steady direction, constant management changes. Lack of solid engineering leadership. Core code base is horrible.

January 15, 2018VP

Thank you for your review and although your comments are not what Nanigans is striving to deliver, we agree with you that we’re always looking for ways to improve. As a high-growth tech company, many employees speak highly of the challenging, collaborative, innovative and fast paced technical environment here. However, at times this can cause managers and individual contributors to lose sight of our strategic direction, which has been firmly cemented in Q3/Q4 of 2017. Regarding your comments about leadership, we agree that having effective managers is crucial to the success of any employee and company. We absolutely value our engineers and all employees and want to ensure that you feel successful and supported.

9. "Can Still be Great"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on your team, you will be working with some of the latest technologies out there. It is a great chance to build your skills. Depends on the team again, but you might get a lot of autonomy and freedom in the technical space. So once again, can learn and do a lot of things. Catered daily lunch. Work flexibility (though no regular WFH). Very talented people in the technology department. Didn't experience any politics.

Cons

If you work in any code that is customer-facing, you can expect a lot of feedback from upper management, which could mean rework. I like the upper management people, but they apparently seems a little more interested in product than sales or marketing. This also seems to lead to improper reaction to the market, sometimes overreacting, sometimes under-reacting, so the company's strategy radar is a bit off at times. Again, not knowing what they deal on a daily basis, this is only an outsider's perspective, and so may not be a fair assessment.

Continue reading

"Great Company, Great Product, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Account Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nanigans full-time

Pros

There are lots of really smart, driven, and fun people working here. The product is really great, which is why some big brands use Nanigans and keep coming back year after year. The company culture makes everyone feel a part of a team and included in the big picture. Free lunches, unlimited vacation and flexible work hours are obviously a plus and keep the company competitive in the ad tech space.

Cons

There is a retention problem right now, and the CFO and CEO clearly don't know how to fix it. While compensation is pretty fair and competitive, more frequent bonuses and promotions (or even acknowledgements) would help people feel valued and appreciated. Changes in direction are not uncommon, and the messaging and explanations are not handled well. The teams need a bit more confidence.

Found 56 reviews