National Interstate Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2021

4.0
National Interstate President and CEO Tony Mercurio
Tony Mercurio
Pros
  • "Good lunch program with daily specials at an affordable price(in 19 reviews)

• "Convenient location with free parking(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "no flex time(in 9 reviews)

• "no flex(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Mar 29, 2021 - Compliance Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None that I can honestly say.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Fun, fast paced culture, interesting work and great people

Apr 15, 2021 - Product Management in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Filled with awesome people who have a work hard, play hard mentality. The company walks the talk when it comes to doing right by its customers. Beautiful corporate campus with its own coffee shop and great fitness room. A lot of freedom and latitude to make decisions. The company is open to new ideas and innovating. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Systems are still behind the times. Need to invest in IT projects and catch up on some big initiatives.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to start a career! Especially for Akron or Kent State students!

Jan 5, 2021 - Underwriter Trainee in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits are great. Pay and PTO are above market compared to other companies. I started with 19 days of PTO per year and a higher salary than my counterparts at other companies. - Covid caused work from home. I am working from home full time and it is so nice. I can wear comfortable clothes, don't have to commute, and I'm saving money too. - I haven't felt like I've been asked to do anything that I don't know how to do. There are no unreasonable expectations and management seems pretty nice too! - Promotions are happening like crazy. My team's problem is they can't keep any underwriters around because they keep getting promoted.

Cons

- 401(k) is below market value. We only get a 4.5% match while I have friends getting a 6% match. - National Interstate is a relatively small company and is owned by Great American Insurance Group. I feel like Great American is the big brother and Natl has a bad connotation. - Insurance work can get boring. Pretty quick.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company but stuck in the past

Apr 5, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good employee friendly culture On site amenities are great

Cons

Due to nature of insurance industry, progress is slow even with chaotic work schedules and tight deadlines. A lot of bureaucracy to deal with.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A good place to start, not stay

Feb 1, 2021 - Claims Representative in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

The introductory experience for newly graduated young professionals is very good, especially for those in the Ignition program. Decent PTO offering. Nice facilities. Competitive pay.

Cons

There’s a suffocating culture of fear in the claims department. People are constantly under threat of being fired. Upper management is totally unaware of the daily work and processes that the claims department performs, and therefore makes many miscalculated and misdirected decisions. Systems are complicated and hard to navigate. Performance is not measured with any specificity and expectations constantly change without any direct notice to the employees they affect. Extremely high turn over leads to constant reshuffling of workloads and confusion about leadership. HR will not assist employees with issues. Toxic “good ole boys” club culture - if you’re not accepted by a certain group of higher up men, you will be openly ridiculed and made fun of. Most people who work here are absolutely miserable.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Feb 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, innovative, great team atmosphere. There’s great leadership in the company and constant positive changes.

Cons

Working from home full time should be an option for most positions. Other than that, no complaints.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company!

Feb 18, 2021 - Claims Adjuster Trainee
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are great, PTO is great

Cons

Pay lower than industry standard

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company When Times are Tough

Jan 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have direct access to my leader and the organization is making diversity a priority. The company has taken care of me during COVID-19.

Cons

Sometimes our organization is conflicted between being a large company or a small company culture - this makes for growing pains.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growing Company, Great Company

Dec 22, 2020 - Claims in Richfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable company with great employees. Company continues to grow which always presents challenges, but the management team does a good job navigating these challenges. Culture is fun, nice office perks and benefits, and the company has been very flexible during Covid-19.

Cons

Old systems but company working to implement some new ones.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

pros and cons

Mar 6, 2021 - Senior Business Technology Analyst in Akron, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible work culture.. great people

Cons

strong “boys club” culture... lots of areas to advance your career but the pay won’t reflect that unless you’re one of the “chosen ones”

Viewing 1 - 10 of 144 Reviews