National Interstate Reviews

National Interstate President and CEO Tony Mercurio
Tony Mercurio

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Strong job by management during the pandemic

Aug 2, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The senior team did an excellent job of keeping the company on track and protecting our employees. I feel honored to work for National Interstate!

Cons

I none at this time. please just keep trying hard on behalf of the employees

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Mar 23, 2022 - Senior Claims Representative in Richfield, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work environment Trustworthy leadership Collaboration

Cons

I haven’t experienced any cons to date

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Probably a better place to work if you don't work in claims

Apr 29, 2022 - Claims Representative in Richfield, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I was recruited, I always heard people talk about what a great place to work NATL was. And after starting, you would see people in the office (when we were in the office that is) from other departments who looked happy, and it always seemed like maybe they were experiencing something vastly different than me and my coworkers in claims. I think there's something to be said about NATL as a company, that they pay pretty well for industry standards (for new people that is - see more about that on cons), and that some people clearly are content there. But my department was just a bad one I think. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The company is stable and profits increase year over year. There are 3 different bonuses throughout the year, some of which are dependent on company performance/profit, but they have never missed giving all 3 bonuses since the early 2000s I believe.

Cons

In my department there was a lot of work and not enough people to do it. We would constantly hear from the managers that they were hiring new folks, but they were never hiring as fast as people were quitting, and it always seemed like they were hiring at the wrong level. For example, hiring a bunch of claims specialists, but then when the annual graduate development program came around, there were 0 new grads hired into the claims department. Why? We need more people to take on smaller claims, so hire new people to be trained! Bring in new talent that way! That seemed like an obvious miss to me. Additionally, I voiced several ideas for how to alleviate some pain points for the average joe in the department (not hiring related), and was brushed off by upper management and the claims training team. That leaves a bad taste in your mouth, when every monthly staff meeting all you hear is "if you have an idea, if you need something, tell us! We want to listen to you, we VALUE you!". It was all very two-faced. Additionally, a lot of people were quitting around the time I did. I was one of the last to leave at that time (that I know of -- I'm not sure who may have left after me). Of those people who were leaving, some of them had been there for quite a while before I was hired in. And several of them disclosed that they were leaving for pay issues. The pay I was receiving after being hired in with no experience was already equal or greater to their pay as someone who had been working in this department with the company for 5-7 years. They had not received any pay adjustments to correct this, and were choosing to continue their claims careers at companies that would value them more and compensate them accordingly. Additionally, many people in the department told me that if I didn't like doing claims I needed to get out while I still could. If you begin down the road of a claims career, it soon becomes your only marketable skill. Management told employees over and over again that if we were not happy, we should let them know-- they wanted us to find another place in the NATL family rather than quit. I did what I was told, I followed the advice from management, and multiple times I spoke to management and voiced my concerns that I didn't feel claims was the right fit and wanted to apply for other internal positions. I was blocked from those positions, treated poorly by a certain claims executive, and was made to stay in claims. Once NATL has you in claims, they will do all they can to keep you there, and will not let you move on unless you quit. I was naïve and I found that out the hard way.

4. 5.0

Great Employer - Right Place to Grow Your Career

Mar 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you want career development. Once you get your foot in the door, there are so many different areas for growth from internal trainings, to resources available through the parent company, to mentorship opportunities, to tuition/certification reimbursement and incentive awards. The Richfield campus is modern with an onsite cafeteria, Starbucks, and free workout rooms.

Cons

Only one high deductible medical plan to choose, but there is an HSA company match.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

People

Mar 13, 2022 - Process Technician in Richfield, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is willing to help get you started on your career at National.

Cons

We need to go back into the office a couple days a week.

6. 4.0

Company review

Mar 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance. Strong management. Good retirement benefits. New facilities

Cons

Pay is non-competitive. Systems are outdated and limited.

7. 5.0

great place to work

Mar 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Good learning environment Good pay

Cons

Some miscommunication, but that's normal

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Starting Job Ever

Mar 2, 2022 - Quality Assurance Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really open and honest company IT team that loves to come together Management from all levels really likes to share their thoughts Beautiful campus Cafeteria still staying strong through the pandemic Delicious food btw Great amenities like workout and yoga rooms Office space is homey and comfy

Cons

Can't think of anything meaningful that wouldn't just be nitpicky

9. 5.0

Great company

Feb 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people great atmosphere good benefits

Cons

Honestly a great company to work at no cons

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Start-Not a Place to Make a Career

Feb 8, 2022 - Underwriter I
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will have plenty of learning opportunities/responsibilities

Cons

They don't value their employees

Viewing 1 - 10 of 166 Reviews

National Interstate Reviews FAQs

National Interstate has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 172 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at National Interstate to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, National Interstate employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at National Interstate. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

78% of National Interstate employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated National Interstate 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at National Interstate to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with National Interstate Job Seekers