National Interstate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
National Interstate President and CEO Tony Mercurio
Tony Mercurio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good lunch program with daily specials at an affordable price (in 14 reviews)

• great co-workers, on site cafeteria, on site gym, full time benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of flexibility - no work-from-home options - THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM FOR A COMPANY NOT TO HAVE IN 2016 (in 6 reviews)

• Flexibility and work-life balance has been a struggle, but this is one of the issues our CEO addressed at the company meeting (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company!"

Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly

Cons

None. Great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work and open lines of communication:-)

2. "Customer Service"

I worked at National Interstate part-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, great people to work with.

Cons

I did not have any negative experiences here

"Poor claims management"

Former Employee - Claims in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Operations are in the process of change.

Cons

Senior claims management did not like anyone with the experience, or knowledge, who was capable of providing contrary opinions. Management targeted these capable supervisors and technicians over the last few years and forced them out. No one over the age of 60 remains. Management has surrounded themselves with yes-men (unskilled supervisors & techs). These employees are unable to identify many of the poor decisions management makes. Technicians continue to make the same mistakes because there supervisors lack the proper experience.

Advice to Management

The parent company, Great American, should clean house.

"Awful Company!"

Former Employee - Claims in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking, exercise room, summer party (free food and drinks)

Cons

Management does not care about the employees. Supervisors are not experienced and lie constantly to get themselves ahead. Employees are overworked and never caught up. No appreciation. HIGH turnover!

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of the young inexperienced managers before you lose more clients.

"Definite job security- you could work 24/7 and still not clear your desk."

Current Employee - Senior W/C Clms Adjuster in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Senior W/C Clms Adjuster in Richfield, OH

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with time off and nobody is watching you like a hawk all day long. Good benefits. HR puts on a lot of social activities. Casual dress. Free parking.

Cons

Overworked, understaffed and there is no consistency across the board with anything. Mgmt and leadership in claims depts leaves a lot to be desired. Going to HR to express concerns doesn't change anything.

6. "NATL is an Excellent Company to Work for"

I worked at National Interstate full-time

Pros

National Interstate is a top notch, professional company that is growing. The leadership team and employees are very friendly and passionate about what they do. The company has excellent benefits and invests in the growth and career development of their employees. They also have fun events and are engaged in the community.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

"Review"

I worked at National Interstate full-time

Pros

The facilities are very nice. Gym, lunch room (with subsidized lunch cost), and multiple buildings with ample parking. The location is right off the highway, close enough for a quick drive to Fairlawn during lunch if need.
    Coworkers are very friendly, which obviously is a plus for company culture. Management, is another issue.
    Monthly meetings are very informative and definitely a plus if you’re interested in the economic outlook for the company.
    Pay is OK and the benefits package is good.

Cons

Very inconsistent management. One manger can say one thing which directly contradicts another manager… Inconsistency seems to be the only consistent thing about the entire management group across all departments… A lot of managers didn’t seem to do much all day either.
    HR dept. is useless. They work hard to get you in the door, but the work stops there. They don’t take employee complaints seriously and they take forever to respond to questions. A couple are great people; the rest aren’t the brightest…
    IT was always behind. Software was extremely outdated. New ideas fell to deaf ears. Many of the processes could easily be streamlined but management seemed to think “not my problem” since they didn’t directly have to deal with it.
     ‘Promotions’ only came if you’ve been in the job for XX amount of years. Even if you worked your butt off and deserved the promotion, would go to someone with more years with the company even if they sucked at their job. Raises were nonexistent.
    Yearly performance evaluations are a joke. You could be ’exceeding expectations’ in all categories, yet your manager would only be allowed to give you ‘meeting expectations’ (or lower) as directed from their managers and the execs. This, of course, could affect your yearly bonus. Maybe instead of forcing managers to under-rank on performance evals because too many people were exceeding expectations, you should reward the group instead or just write higher expectations.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Figure out how to make it a career for them, rather than just a job.

8. "Wondering Where They Were..."

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

Growing company with a tremendous amount of opportunity for EVERYONE. With that said, this isn't the place for everyone. If you looking for a company that promotes based on length of time in a seat, punching the clock or restrictive tracks that predetermines your destiny, you won't be happy here. If you believe in rewarding people for results, that intelligent people can solve problems in and outside of their function and are willing to take calculated risks that can have a true impact on results, then you will love National Interstate!

I've read a lot of these reviews and wonder where some of these people worked. The results have been getting better each year, we are way ahead of other companies in our markets in terms of combined ratios and this is a fun place to work that has high expectations.

Cons

The company has made strides in flexibility but still has some room for improvement. You can see and feel the changes and the CEO has made this a priority. This has never been an issue for me personally.

Advice to Management

We are moving in the right direction and well positioned. The strategy is working so stay the course.

9. "Good Company, Becoming Great"

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly feel like I am doing something meaningful when I come to work everyday. National Interstate cares about employee development and provides opportunities to learn and grow. There is no shortage of stretch assignments if you are willing to take them. If you want to succeed and have the drive to do it, you will! We also have numerous opportunities to raise money, collect items, or volunteer for great causes. It feels good to know we are having such a positive impact on our surrounding communities.

The CEO recently addressed employee survey feedback at an all-company meeting. It was so refreshing to see our leader be transparent and address this feedback head-on in front of all employees. There is no doubt in my mind that he cares about us and wants to do what he can, within reason, to make National Interstate a great place to work. We have so many positive changes coming to us within the next year!

Cons

Flexibility and work-life balance has been a struggle, but this is one of the issues our CEO addressed at the company meeting. I can already feel the shift in our culture and I have seen many examples of managers and department heads allowing more flexibility. This is a good path to be on and I think it will continue to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, open to employee feedback, and open to change. We're heading in the right direction.

10. "Going in right direction"

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is very transparent. Collegial work culture. Great co-workers. Plenty of opportunity for exposure with senior management. Good focus on employees and customers.

Cons

Inconsistent management practices between certain supervisors as the company evolves into a more flexible workplace. Getting better now that CEO has addressed it during monthly employee meeting.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and we'll continue to strengthen our Employer of Choice status.