Netlist Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netlist Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Hong
Chuck Hong

1. "Product Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Product Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Design Product Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Netlist full-time

Pros

Great team environment, generous benefits, and outstanding product offerings. Patent portfolio of proven technology adopted by major industrial leaders. Increased licensed technology expanding exponentially.

Cons

Current workloads increasing, need for more qualified experienced personal.

Advice to Management

Need for larger robust design/R&D spacing.

Apr 6, 2017 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive experience as an Engineer at Netlist. When design and development is in an upswing the end result can often be exactly as you have stated - increasing workload ... More

"Bad working place"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great employees and good engineers

Cons

But, perhaps only a handful good engineers and the rest, 80%, is very low in talent and only know how to be cheerleaders and point fingers.
    The good engineers have been let go due to "re-org".
     Always late on schedule and delivery. All trickles down from the weak management.
    Total compensation is below competitors who they try to beat. With stock price always around $1, you really got nothing from the stock options, except a decent lunch at nearby food truck.

Advice to Management

Top management is too busy with litigation and perhaps should just convert the company into a patent and licensing company and just cut the cost by cutting non-delivering R&D department. It will boost the stock price better.
    Top management also very kind for letting engineering failing to deliver again and again. A great place to work with this type of job security.

May 9, 2017 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

It's unfortunate that your experience at Netlist was not a positive one. Most companies have "surface" issues, which can impact employees from time-to-time. It helps for employees to remember most ... More

3. "Credit & Collection Manager"

Current Employee - Credit Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Netlist full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with supportive management, focused on building great products and a safe & healthy environment; allows you to work with a flexible schedule

Cons

Hope in a close future the company will find a bigger office so everyone has more space in their office and cubicles

Oct 31, 2016 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

It's good to know that your 10 years at Netlist have been a positive experience. I believe we can all agree that a healthy environment and the ability to work a flex schedule go a long way toward ... More

"Potential for Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Netlist (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is decent and benefits start w/in 30 days. Everyone is friendly & helpful when you ask. Product training is encouraged & provided as often as needed which is very helpful. Kitchen is always stocked w/snacks & coffee which is nice & not usual for most companies. Everyone is very busy but there is a general open door policy. Great product and partnerships. Lunch & learns are a nice way to learn & team build

Cons

Benefits are very expensive, the most I've ever paid for just myself. Office in general is very quiet, everyone is very busy but you almost feel as if you need to keep a very low voice. Not the best plan or direction in place which I knew when from the start so going thru some transitional pains trying to find the best path to success

Advice to Management

The CEO could be a little more interactive, it's a small company with lots of talented, smart and hard working people, acknowledge them occasionally.

Jul 22, 2016 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

Thank you for this honest assessment of your experience so far as a Netlist employee. As a relatively new employee myself, I understand transitional pains while navigating a sometimes steep learning ... More

6. "A Challenging and Fulfilling Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Netlist (Less than a year)

Pros

(1) I am met with a challenging workload every day
    (2) Personally receive positive feedback from my boss and colleagues i.e. job well done, excellent effort, you exceeded my/our expectations, etc.
    (3) Company is full of intelligent, hand-working team players
    (4) Fully stocked complimentary beverages and healthy snacks - nice perk
    95) Comprehensive and well rounded benefits program with 401k matching

Cons

(1) Morale building activities would be beneficial: celebrating birthdays and employee anniversaries, in-n-out lunch truck, summer beach day
    (2) Noting when the company has done something momentous: Send out a message or have an all-hands meeting to let everyone know the good news
    (3) Bring your pet to work day

Advice to Management

Only advice I can share is that management should take the time to get to know everyone in their department, ask questions and let them know they care. More 1:1 outreach would be good.

Jul 15, 2016 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your upbeat review. As a new HR presence at Netlist, it is one of my goals to ensure job satisfaction wherever possible. The CEO, CFO and I have worked ... More

"Buying Cases of Dog Food at Walmart"

Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intersting high tech work. In the past, free lunches every Friday.

Cons

There were plenty of downsides to working at Netlist. Among them, I saw a lot of favoritism where certain employees could do no wrong. To reiterate what was previously said about nepotism, it seemed that there was a Korean mafia in charge of the place, and if you were Korean you could do no wrong.

However, the thing that bothered me most about Netlist was its narrow market focus. Netlist specializes in designs that use dynamic random access memories (DRAMs). I know of two other companies, Intel and Dallas Semiconductor, that used to design DRAMs and got out of the DRAM market several years ago.

Why? At one time in the distant past (say the 80's) DRAMs were an advanced research topic, and companies were spending millions of dollars to figure out how to cram ever increasing numbers of transistors into a silicon die. But at some point in the 90's, DRAMs made an abrupt transition from a research topic to becoming a commodity that was bought and sold on the open market according to the laws of supply and demand.

So buying DRAMs for a digital design became like going to Walmart and buying several cases of dog food, or going to Home Depot and buying several boxes of nails. Nothing more than a commodity where the profit margin became very thin due to competition between different semiconductor manufacturers.

So apparently Netlist has committed itself to a type of product where the profit margins are and will remain razor thin for the forseeable future. As nearly as I can tell, it was and will remain a company whose foundations are built on a deck of cards. It will only take a slight puff of wind to throw the whole system into chaos.

Advice to Management

I share some of the previous observations about nepotism. Get rid of the Korean mafia that runs the place. Also try to figure out how to diversify your product line to minimize the risk that accompanies market fluctuations for a narrow product line.

"Reviw"

Current Employee - Staff FAE in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff FAE in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netlist full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company atmosphere
    Working with large OEMs

Cons

Top Management will drive away good talent when they are unreasonable

Advice to Management

Build what the customer is asking for

"Netlist is a bad place to work."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was reasonable, and the work was interesting

Cons

I heard from two employees on separate occasions that the CEO had a history of taking clients to lunch or dinner and getting falling down drunk in the process.
    When I was there, it seemed like a Korean Mafia was in charge. If you were Korean, you could do no wrong.
    The product the company makes has turned into a commodity, bought and sold on the open market. Buying DRAM's is llike going to Costco and buying 6 cases of cat food, or going to Home Depot and buying 5 boxes of nails.
    If you want to know what Wall Street thinks of Netlist, go to Google and type "Netlist stock quote Morningstar".
    If I remember correctly, Morningstar give the company a "D" for growth prospects, and an "F" for profitabillity.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO, and get more diversification with upper management (not all Korean).
    Broaden your product line to include something other than just DRAM's,

"typical engineering working environment"

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Need to handle multiple projects at the same time. Had free Friday lunch and $25/month fitness reimbursement

Cons

Company has difficulty in survive and the price margin is not pretty good. Cost reduction of company is very tide.

11. "Sales"

I have been working at Netlist full-time

Pros

Experienced company that's focused on cutting edge technology vs the cookie cutter approach. Several major innovations in the past that others are current using. Upper management lets you know where they're coming from.... nothing hidden. Encourages travel to build lasting relationships. Sales is provided with the tools to be successful.

Cons

Engineering heavy that's used to a quiet environment...... Challenging for sales to keep voice down during sales calls.

Feb 13, 2017 – Sr. Human Resources Manager

Thank you for pointing out what makes Netlist a cut above others in the industry, it's greatly appreciated. I understand your challenge with using the phone in a quiet environment. Fortunately the ... More