Network Computing Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Gobielle

"Good company to work for - but come prepared."

Former Employee - Security Practice Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Security Practice Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the security practice leader for close to two years, and having insights into activities at the executive levels of the company, I have a unique perspective to share regarding NCA. My goal here is to give an honest review based on my own personal experiences within this company - nothing more, nothing less.

First of all, I believe that the leadership team has nothing but the best of intentions for the company and its employees. The folks in charge really do care - and everyone is treated as part of a family.

The work itself can be both challenging and exciting - engaging with customers on a regular basis and being closely tied into the security industry has significant benefits and rewards.

A lot of emphasis is placed on recognizing individual and collective contributions. As a small company, everyone knows everyone - and saying 'thank you' is an important part of the culture.

Finally - the technology engineering services offered by the company are top notch. NCA hires very high caliber, deeply committed technical resources who truly thrive on new challenges.

Cons

Being completely honest, the company does have some issues (though many of these appear to have been addressed over the past few months). For instance:

The company has changed it's strategic direction several times over the past few years, and at times there's been some confusion about what the company is all about and what it does.

The sales team can be difficult to partner with in some areas. There are communications breakdowns that occur from time to time, contributing to increased service delivery errors.

There is a tendency (across the company) to overcommit to things. A lot of juggling (and extended hours) can occur as a result.

However, I would bestow far more positive attributes than negative ones on the company overall. NCA *is* a good place to work if you can handle the demands of the job and work together as part of a team. I look back on my time with NCA quite fondly... And wish them all the best.

Advice to Management

No company is perfect - but NCA makes every effort to treat its employees right, while doing the best it can to generate customer opportunities and engage in the sound delivery of equipment and services.

My advice to the management team is to continue moving forward with equipment sales, professional technology services, and managed service offerings. Know your goals and your limits, lean on your partners to fill in any gaps, and keep the sales force on track with clear guidance and support.

But (from what I've been told lately), this is exactly what the company is doing now. That's good to hear and makes me glad for everyone who's still there.

2. "Small company. Small opportunity."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects (More than a year)

Pros

Nice folks. Good for technical staff.

Cons

Slow PS quote turn around, not competitive pricing and very low commission splits.

3. "NCA is a great company to build or continue a career with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NCA fosters a very entrepreneurial work environment that allows it employees to grow and creatively work with their customers and co-workers. The ability to leverage premier vendor and supplier relationships to deliver relevant solutions to our clients sets us apart from the competition.

Cons

Being that it is a small company it's difficult to recognize and promote every individual consistently and endlessly.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on relevant technology trends and continue to hire reputable sales and engineering individuals.

4. "The culture is definitely entrepreneurial in nature."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are the sort of person that thrives on individual contributions to teamwork, this is a great place to work. The culture is definitely entrepreneurial in nature. Individual contributions are valued.

Cons

If you prefer to work for a paycheck only, this is not the place for you. It is a small company that expects a lot from employees, every day. There is not a lot of room for non-performers.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire individuals who are able to multi-task, take on more than humanly possible, and praise them for their contributions.

5. "Positive Work Life & Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive and friendly employees, the company is the right size to get to know everyone and to build successful working relationships. Training and certification courses are encouraged and provided for engineers as requested. This company is a great place to learn and gain knowledge about security solutions and they focus on putting customer needs first.

Cons

Unfortunately I left NCA due to moving out of the state, but was very happy for my time spent learning from this side of the technology industry.

6. "Since I have been here I have been given a great opportunity to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my previous jobs I had some primary responsibility, but not a lot of variety. At NCA I have an opportunity to work on many different and interesting projects. The team I work with is great and customer satisfaction is a primary objective. I get a lot of freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard representing multiple solutions through multiple vendors as they all compete for the same customer. There has been considerable effort to reduce the products sets which will make my job easier this year.

Advice to Management

Stay with the plan to sell more solutions through fewer vendors and keep working on developing NCA braded solutions. Easier to support.

7. "A Failure of Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling... A few good people who try hard, but keep running into the same walls.

Cons

No real direction. CEO is a 'nice guy' but not really a leader. Company is mostly run by the CFO, who values profit over all else. No one really knows what's going on. Like ever! And its been this way for several years now. There were a couple of new faces within the leadership team last year who had good ideas and a solid plan for the future, but they got fed up and left. I do not recommend working at NCA until the current CEO steps down, the CFO is no longer pulling all of the strings, and there is a leadership team in place who can actually make good things happen! It's sad to say these things though, because there's so much opportunity and so many possibilities. If the company could get out of its own way it might just have had a real chance. Who knows; maybe it still will one day. Not a good place to be until it does.

Advice to Management

Do one thing and do it well, don't try to be all things to all people... Make sure your product and services are aligned properly and tell a compelling story that makes sense. And for gods sake, be realistic and willing to invest in strategy, marketing, and professional development. Get sales to think bigger, and listen to your people!

8. "Good company but lacking any care for employees"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The ability to have time off whenever needed. Management has an open door policy and open book policy on the company status and direction.

Cons

No base salary, unequal distribution of support, lack of any career development or advancement. No clear direction of where the company is going.

Advice to Management

Give the sales reps a base salary and realize that we don't have the support necessary to be successful at our jobs.

Network Computing Architects Response

Jun 22, 2016 – HR Manager

This is a dated posting. Senior Account Executives at NCA are paid a base salary plus a generous commission plan. NCA offers a support staff that includes a robust PMO, an Associate Account ... More

9. "Individual Contributor"

Pros

NCA is a great place to work and what I like is that they have proven that the company can adapt and adjust to the changes in the technology that is delivered to our long time customers. The vision comes from the leadership, management and key employees, which includes feedback from our customers and where they are seeing things going for them. The quality of the employees is high which makes me proud to represent myself in the market with the NCA brand. We continue to hire talented and ambitious new co-workers.

Cons

Although there is varied training and education available, I have found it best to take on learning in areas that I am most interested on myself. From a vendor perspective the training is unlimited and encouraged.

Advice to Management

Continue to be involved and interested in both employee and client feedback as the markets we serve are in continual change. Rely on the experience of the employees to confirm the direction as we go forward.

10. "Truly Invested in their Employees- Work/Life balance"

Pros

NCA truly cares about it's employees. As a small company, every person has the opportunity to truly make a difference and employees are recognized for their contributions! Co-workers become friends and management is open to all ideas. If you are innovative, passionate about what you do and want to love the people you work with- this is the company for you!

Cons

As a small business, there are some resource restrictions. It is also important to coordinate schedules with team members to make sure customers are always covered.