Neverware Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2020

Neverware CEO Andrew Bauer
Andrew Bauer
  1. COVID-19

"Reliable and fair employer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fair work environment. Salaries all visible from within the company. Flexibility to mold your position to something that fits you (for example I started six years ago as a server admin and moved to Software Engineering a few years back.) Leadership genuinely cares about your professional growth and wants to help you find niches that fit 'you'. Work life balance is fantastic, with the company actively promoting that you take time for yourself. Neverware has gone above and beyond to make sure all of their employees feel comfortable through the current pandemic. No one has been let go, the office has moved to a full remote work set-up and management is very open about a plan to return to office work, but only when everyone is comfortable with it. Management is very transparent about the company's plans and financial state which is great since nothing is ever a surprise.

Cons

Due to being a pretty small scale company there have been times where we've had to take pay cuts during financial hardships (for example, the early stages of the pandemic.) Though both times this has happened all employees have been paid back in full all income lost after the company found it's footing. Even though employees are generally setup to try to carve out a career path for themselves, sometimes the available paths can be very unclear or even non-existent. Lack of job overlap means that certain employees may not have team members they can fall back on as much as others (specifically on the engineering team,) though we're currently trying to hire more roles to fix that issue so this may not be a problem come 2021.

2. "Great Company, Great Product, Great People"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Neverware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Neverware values it's people and takes very seriously who they hire. They try their best to make sure the company is the right fit for you as well as for them, before you even set foot in the door. This focus on hiring creates an environment where you feel like you are actually an important part of the overall mission. Culture here is very welcoming and allows for you to balance work and life in a sustainable way without the pressure of feeling judged. CloudReady is an awesome product and it's fun to be a part of something that's never quite been done before.

Cons

Benefits aren't as great as my previous company, but they still provide an amazing culture and decent benefits.

"Almost too good to be true"

Current Employee - Director of Quality Assurance in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty of information online about Neverware and how great it is to work here, but until you take a look for yourself you might not fully understand what we are about. It’s no surprise that candidates are skeptical about how much we brag about the experience at Neverware. The first pro starts with the interview process. As a candidate the process is setup so that you can evaluate us as a company just as much as the company is evaluating you. It’s important that a candidate is sold on us as much as they sell themselves to us. That’s why we invest a lot of time up front getting to know you and showing you what we are about. Once you are part of the Neverware team the process continues to be a benefit to you since it finds qualified and friendly colleagues you can trust to do their part in the mission of the company. You also get to be part of the interviewing process since we invite current team members to give input on candidates as they progress through the process. Transparency is also big at Neverware. Everyone is encouraged to stay in the loop on how the company is doing and what is coming down the pipeline. There are no big surprises. Okay I lied there are some surprises like random food appearing in the kitchen and the occasional puppy party. None where one day we close up shop because we ran out of money or we decide to pivot into selling magic legumes. As a Neverware employee you get full transparency on how we earn and spend our money. Weekly and monthly company meetings are available to take a peek into what other departments are up to and our CEO always welcomes questions about what’s going on in the big picture. These are just a couple of pros that I feel are hard to communicate in short bullet points on our website. As I mentioned in the beginning there is plenty of info about us regarding benefits like unlimited PTO and flexible working hours/location.

Cons

I’ve only been here for a relatively short time and I’m lucky so far to not have experienced any real pain while at Neverware but I’ve heard the stories from when we were struggling financially to get our feet under ourselves. The fact that we are a small startup will always be a potential risk. I think there is also the risk of can we keep up this great culture and environment as we grow larger as a team and as a business. This will be something that will take effort to preserve as we grow.

Continue reading

"A real nice place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering (and QA) in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The people you work with here care about the work and are good at doing it. This was something I loved at my last place, and I'm so glad to again be surrounded by competent people. There was a thing I came across recently where someone from Netflix was talking about a moment early in their history where they had a big round of layoffs and found that they were "getting more work done with fewer people, and enjoying it more". I think Neverware's unusually stringent hiring process ends up meaning that we've got the kind of people that can get more done with less, and it's inspiring just to see the folks here do so much. We're all also fairly committed to the company. When we were low on money a couple of years ago and everyone's salary got cut only one person out of ~20 left because of it. We've all been through the ups and downs, and we're all sticking around. * The trust in people really helps the work happen. You're held accountable for getting your work done, but there's a lot of freedom to do your work the way that's best for you. Want to show up at noon and work until 8pm? That's fine. See a way to improve the team's productivity? You don't need to write up huge planning documents and push it through a big bureaucracy, just do it or chat with your boss to get the extra resources to make it happen. * Trust in leadership is a big thing, too. It's not perfect, and I don't know that it can ever be with the kind of power imbalance that necessarily exists in a business hierarchy, but I think we do a pretty good job with it. Every month we go through the financials as a company, and Andrew (the CEO) tries to highlight the risks as well as the things that are going especially well. If ever we're in a place where we're going to run out of money again, we'll know long before it happens. * Communication more broadly. We put a lot of effort into getting better at communication. We've added more structured managerial reviews, and twice-yearly peer reviews (which -- I tear up when I think about all the positive things my coworkers said about me, and I'm really trying to work on and internalize what they highlighted as my weaknesses). Leadership is always experimenting with better ways to communicate larger changes that are coming, and I've seen significant (positive) changes in how the folks on my team interact with each other. * The food. The weekly freshdirect order is fine, it's nice to have snacks and quick lunch food around. The great thing about the food is this weird collective thing of everyone bringing stuff in all the time. There's Kendall's regular "armenian cheese with nigella seeds", there's Dave and his wife Cat who bake bread & pastries for the office sometimes, there's Karthika bringing karela chips and spicy thatta chips back from india. And then there's the yearly "Neverware Iron Chef" competition: three solid weeks of "apps and 'zerts". * The product is something I feel pretty good about, too. I believe we've delayed tens of thousands of computers from ending up in the garbage, and I think we've saved thousands of school districts significant sums of money. As we've moved into the "enterprise" space over the past couple of years that's become less of our focus, but it's still something easy to feel good about. If I have to work a job, at least it's not a job building missiles, y'know? A long time ago I heard this thing about how "there's three things that matter in a job: money, enjoyment of the work, and coworkers/environment. If you've got 2 of the 3 you're in a good place". At Neverware I enjoy the work, I love my coworkers, and I get paid a fair salary for what I do.

Cons

* Money. We're a small startup, and sometimes money is tight. Salaries have been flat for a few years. While the plan is for that to change within the year, it's still been a bit of a drag. * Sort of as a result of that we often focus on running lean, and I think I'm beginning to see some places where we're running a little too lean and it's going to hurt us in the long run. Working on turning that around. * The "everyone who works here is great at doing their part" comes at a cost: hiring is really slow. We also are learning how to handle people who aren't doing as well as we expect.

Continue reading

"A company where you actually like coming to work every day"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beyond the now-typical startup benefits (food, gym reimbursement, keg, equity), Neverware treats employees like adults - PTO is "unlimited" but perhaps more importantly, employees can set the hours that make sense for them instead of being forced to adhere to arbitrary rules like "Our start time is 8:30am." Of course, being treated like an adult means acting like one, too. You own your role and the expectations are high, but everyone here is willing to support you because we all want to succeed.

Cons

There's a running joke-that's-not-really-a-joke that we're all overworked and underpaid. That said, I challenge you to find a company that's this relaxed, fun, and fulfilling in terms of its product.

June 17, 2019CEO

Thanks for taking the time to leave the review. I'm really happy to hear that the professional trust & autonomy implicit in the way we work is viewed by you as a "pro" when evaluating the organization. As you noted - expectations are substantial. But I think the net result is that we have attracted and retained folks who take tremendous pride in the work that they do. Regarding the "con" - fair point. We're are undergoing a review of compensation policy as we speak, and I hope to be able to directly address that issue with the whole company in the next 30 days.

"A Company That Practices It's Motto Everyday"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honesty, transparency, and an environment that is open to ideas. A surrounding that echoes genuine people, their hard work and love for the product/company. Because of the characteristics mentioned above, one can truly understand exactly how much one's work contributes and how critically it impacts the business. This is something I have not experienced in my previous companies. The company and the people nurture an environment that makes me happy to get up and come to work every day.

Cons

It is an early stage technology company so you can see the industry standard cons you would expect it to have but that's about it.

June 4, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to submit this thoughtful note. Its great that during your (relatively) short time the style of communications has resonated with you. I'm most pleased that you feel happy to come to work - I really enjoy coming to the office every day! Any success that we have is only because of you and the team doing such a high level of work each and every day. Please use our company surveys (or just Slack me) to be more specific about those "industry standard cons" so we can be sure we are targeting the right things.

"Great people, great product, great culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Engagement here is incredible. That comes as no surprise, considering the combination of a great product, an exciting startup atmosphere, and amazing people. The product, CloudReady, is simple, secure, fast, and eco-friendly, in an industry where bloatware and over-consumption seem to dominate. The people here are cooperative, smart yet willing to learn, and fun to be around. As mentioned in other reviews, transparency is genuinely a goal here. It goes both ways: management is open with financials, general strategy, and such, while concerns can be raised, and often are, by anybody who feels the need.

Cons

There's not much diversity here, even for tech standards. I get that it's not easy for a tech startup, but perhaps this is an opportunity. I'm not asking for diversity just for the sake of diversity (although that would be good, too). It would be both a precursor to, and result of inclusivity which would give us a better shot at raising performance even higher and make life and work more interesting.

January 30, 2019CEO

Thank you for your thoughts. I share your view that our strengths are in our people and our product. Open, honest and frequent communications between all team members is the foundation for the growth of the organization. I also share your frustration with the lack of diversity. We are not making progress fast enough - no excuses. We will work harder in 2019 to broaden our reach with candidates for all roles.

"A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a career working in larger corporate organizations, this place is a breath of fresh air. This is a company that doesn't just talk about building an inclusive, transparent, welcoming, fun, upbeat culture; they simply just do it. The team here is comprised of some of the smartest people I've come across and it's super-motivating working with those who care about all the little details. It's exciting to be a part of a team that's trailblazing with a product and technology in a space where there is very little public documentation and knowledge. I have very high hopes for the future of this organization, as it seems they have the right talent, mindset and direction for success.

Cons

Internal HR/benefits knowledge is a little lacking. I've pointed this out to the leadership team and it's already being addressed.

January 30, 2019CEO

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm especially happy to hear that your experiences with the team have been so positive. Every organization says "Its all about the people" - and they are all right. It IS all about the people, and we are super fortunate so many talented folks have invested their time & efforts with us. You are right to call out that we still need to work on HR infrastructure. Hopefully you have seen improvement in the last 2-3 months, but please let us know if we are not moving fast enough.

9. "Strong Buzz!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Neverware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the last year, Neverware has accelerated its sales & marketing efforts, increased its employees and there is considerably more energy and buzz in the office than previously. A deepening relationship with Google, international expansion and significant traction with enterprise customers has made everyone in the company (from long-time veterans to new additions to the team) even more bullish about CloudReady's place among top Operating Systems, and Neverware's place among top companies in the competitive NYC tech landscape.

Cons

We're beginning to outgrow our space, which means re-arranging our office to optimize what's left, and as we grow, it will undoubtedly require us to move.

January 29, 2019CEO

Thanks for your note and your enthusiasm. I couldn't be more excited for 2019! Regarding the constraints of our office - we just finished a project increasing our restrooms by 50% (from 2 to 3), so we are trying to keep up with the growth. Keep letting us know what we need to do to make this a great environment.

10. "Director of Worldwide Sales"

5.0

I have been working at Neverware

Pros

Neverware is a company that truely believes in transparency and accountability across all departments. Amazing culture and opportunity to grow with a true SaaS company backed by Google

Cons

Working in SaaS company you need to be able to were many hats when needed.

August 7, 2018CEO

Great to have you join the team - its an exciting time at Neverware! Keep the lines of communication open and let us know how we are doing.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews