Nipsco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Violet Sistovaris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Merrillville, IN

Pros

The people you work with are great!! Always have been.

Cons

Project planning needs to be more efficient. The Company is currently working to better improve this process.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Nipsco full-time

Pros

Growing caring large
    Caring
    Large
    Professional
    Good culture
    Regulated
    Good

Cons

Lazy
    Not customer focused
    Can’t make a decision

3. "Alright"

Pros

Learn a lot from a lot of senior engineers

Cons

Low pay. People that come in after you make more than you.

4. "Several People Are Crying At Their Desk"

Former Employee - Engineer in Goshen, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Goshen, IN

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is plenty of work for everyone employed with the company.

Cons

I witnessed two union employees crying at their desk because they were overwhelmed from the high stress due to mountains of files that were expected to be filed. The staff is rushed to process high level engineering documents and plans for major government projects. The management is good at paying lip service to safety but when it comes down to spending unplanned money human life becomes expendable. A supervisor would not replace a widow maker electric pole because the budget didn't permit it and became upset when the union workers found the unsafe practice abhorrent. Designs methods espoused by the American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE) were discounted by the same manager when calculating buoyancy of a pipe. Conformity to antiquated company standards were consider more important than changing.

Advice to Management

The company should heed the warning of the IURC in regards to the safety warnings that were established by the largest utility fine in state history. Recognize that if a person is rushed to process a design that proper due diligence cannot be rendered to the project and public safety is compromised.

5. "Great job with good benefits"

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow in the company.

Cons

Some of the more "coveted" positions seemed to go to individuals that were with the "in crowd"

Advice to Management

I would say to be more accepting and understanding of people that have been raised in more challenging environments.

6. "New IT dept"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most all superiors tried to help you.

Cons

Limited access to then Current equipment Made learning difficulties.

Advice to Management

Made learning difficulties. For those interested please let them see how it is done. Don’t stop their learning. Not necessarily hands on but do what you can to help them learn.

7. "company"

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has no competition so we are good

Cons

management changes every 6 months to a year

8. "Constantly dealing with reorgs"

I worked at Nipsco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid company with great benefits. One of the more stable, higher paying companies in a generally low-cost area. This is a place where you can accumulate skills and live comfortably, if that's you're goal.

Cons

In the 6 years that I worked there, I saw a rolling average of 5 re-orgs every 2 years. Often a new director would bring 2-3 managers from their previous employer, and when the director would leave (within about 2 years) the managers would leave as well. This happened a LOT.

Advice to Management

You've hired skilled people, both in the union and in the offices. Listen to them. They know their craft, and they are your best measuring tool for improvement.

9. "Okay company"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with a great. The overall benefits are good as well. Good company if you want to move around to different positions.

Cons

The pay for certain positions is below the industry standard. Some of the positions are just simply a stepping stone into the company.

"Leave your motivation at the door"

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, stability

Cons

1. Abysmal IT support (IBM), to a point that should be deemed criminal for a regulated utility. Broken and disbanded systems, each "upgrade" to a financial system feels like a downgrade, often the upgrades do not address underlying issues or create new ones. Additionally, things like phones and pcs: I wasn't provided a fully functional phone for over a month, onboarding screwed up my credentials for logging into my pc, and it regularly takes a month or longer for new employees to receive a pc.

2. No accountability for processes. Accounting shifted responsibility of accounting judgments to executing employees by virtue of never updating their process documentation. Project managers are not held responsible for providing field information for budgeting/forecasting/accruals.

3. From my last day at NIPSCO, I have reason to believe that ethics personnel are anything but ethical. My complaint was partly software driven and I discovered in the meeting that my ethics representative had personally participated in the 2010 NIPSCO/IBM contract (before being asked into ethics, what a weird change of occupation...). I have reason to believe they told management I was meeting with them. In a separate conversation with my temporary manager, he indicated that "the company doesn't always seem ethical does it" and "you know, places like Google look for the best and brightest; Nipsco isn't necessarily that way.". That kind of talk from a manager is not a sign of a healthy and ethical company.

4. I was denied tuition reimbursement for database management classes, which would have been quite helpful in my position given that Nipsco's software is so cruddy and disjointed. My director did not say why I was denied directly to me, but management indicated the reasoning was that db mgmt can "be learned on your own". In my opinion, that is a poor way to treat an employee looking to do better at his position. It is dishonorable not to call the employee directly, at the very least.

5. Coworkers of mine were criticized for being sick and asked to work on days that they were sick.

6. Asked to flub/unjustifiably alter project forecasts prior to submission.

Advice to Management

Manage your IT; its unbecoming for a utility to waste so much money due to unnecessary/unhelpful software upgrades.

Manage low level data consolidation in house to save cost for Indiana residents.

MANAGE YOUR PROCESSES, don't shift all decision making to low level employees and then ask why things are done incorrectly. Make departments update all process documentation annually, and hold them accountable for doing so.

HOLD PROJECT MANAGERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR PROVIDING INFORMATION.

NEVER ASK AN EMPLOYEE TO REPORT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TRUTH. numbers don't lie, only you can do that.