Nipsco Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Violet Sistovaris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "general review"

I have been working at Nipsco (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and great employees

Cons

none to list at this time

2. "Okay company"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with a great. The overall benefits are good as well. Good company if you want to move around to different positions.

Cons

The pay for certain positions is below the industry standard. Some of the positions are just simply a stepping stone into the company.

"Leave your motivation at the door"

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, stability

Cons

1. Abysmal IT support (IBM), to a point that should be deemed criminal for a regulated utility. Broken and disbanded systems, each "upgrade" to a financial system feels like a downgrade, often the upgrades do not address underlying issues or create new ones. Additionally, things like phones and pcs: I wasn't provided a fully functional phone for over a month, onboarding screwed up my credentials for logging into my pc, and it regularly takes a month or longer for new employees to receive a pc.

2. No accountability for processes. Accounting shifted responsibility of accounting judgments to executing employees by virtue of never updating their process documentation. Project managers are not held responsible for providing field information for budgeting/forecasting/accruals.

3. From my last day at NIPSCO, I have reason to believe that ethics personnel are anything but ethical. My complaint was partly software driven and I discovered in the meeting that my ethics representative had personally participated in the 2010 NIPSCO/IBM contract (before being asked into ethics, what a weird change of occupation...). I have reason to believe they told management I was meeting with them. In a separate conversation with my temporary manager, he indicated that "the company doesn't always seem ethical does it" and "you know, places like Google look for the best and brightest; Nipsco isn't necessarily that way.". That kind of talk from a manager is not a sign of a healthy and ethical company.

4. I was denied tuition reimbursement for database management classes, which would have been quite helpful in my position given that Nipsco's software is so cruddy and disjointed. My director did not say why I was denied directly to me, but management indicated the reasoning was that db mgmt can "be learned on your own". In my opinion, that is a poor way to treat an employee looking to do better at his position. It is dishonorable not to call the employee directly, at the very least.

5. Coworkers of mine were criticized for being sick and asked to work on days that they were sick.

6. Asked to flub/unjustifiably alter project forecasts prior to submission.

Advice to Management

Manage your IT; its unbecoming for a utility to waste so much money due to unnecessary/unhelpful software upgrades.

Manage low level data consolidation in house to save cost for Indiana residents.

MANAGE YOUR PROCESSES, don't shift all decision making to low level employees and then ask why things are done incorrectly. Make departments update all process documentation annually, and hold them accountable for doing so.

HOLD PROJECT MANAGERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR PROVIDING INFORMATION.

NEVER ASK AN EMPLOYEE TO REPORT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TRUTH. numbers don't lie, only you can do that.

"Issues employees have are not taken seriously by upper management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a great many Philanthropic opportunities.

Cons

Management is given too much power over employees and are not checked.

Advice to Management

Please take action after more than 4 employees are run off by a manager instead of looking the other way. And in the least, take some sort of action.

5. "Deadend"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of work for all.

Cons

Cronyism promotional structure. Brown nose advancements.

Advice to Management

Promote staff by education with experience.

6. "don't get locked into a dead end job"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay, good benefits, most coworkers are hard working. Union employees can make $100k with little effort, and I do mean LITTLE effort.

Cons

micro-management at plant level and above, decisions based on opinions and not what is good for the company and employees, tuition reimbursement is a joke. The longer you stay static in a position, the less likely for advancement. Too much of who you know not what you know.

Advice to Management

Hire people that are knowledgeable about the industry, who have a college education, and trust your front line leaders. Don't hire outcasts from other utilities or cronies that bring nothing to the company's future. As for one of the most ethical companies, I totally disagree, just look and you will see...

7. "Been a good job I'm grateful to have"

Pros

Good pay and good benefits. Chances to move around in the company. Have made a lot of good connections with people in different departments.

Cons

Upper management very disconnected from supervisor level. Lots of favoritism and it's all about who you know. Don't offer ideas or voice concerns

Advice to Management

Listen to those in the field, they are the ones that see what's going on.

8. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Merrillville, IN

Pros

The people you work with are great!! Always have been.

Cons

Project planning needs to be more efficient. The Company is currently working to better improve this process.

9. "An underground guys dream come true!"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Nipsco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and respected for maintaining a safe community by customers. The company cares for your safety and takes good care their employees in many aspects.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say. This is a dream career for a construction worker in Indiana. Can't transfer from non- union to union or vice-versa.

10. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Nipsco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place with wonderful benefits. Good work schedule and professional organization. Tenured and knowledgeable work force. Great pay.

Cons

The upper management has l9st touch with the middle management team. A new philosophy of training and job replacement strategy is needed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees