Nucor Reviews | Glassdoor

Nucor CEO John J. Ferriola
John J. Ferriola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance is very poor (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours leading to inefficient use of time just to meet minimum work week expectations (in 7 reviews)

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Safety is number one priority, flexibility to determine your own career path, team-based environment, good pay, strong company culture, teammates are most important asset, company stays true to mission statement and culture, decentralized operations can react quickly to market conditions, feels like a small business (mom and pop) with the backing of a $20 billion organization, decision-making is pushed to the person closest to the situation which is usually front-line teammates, egalitarian management philosophy means no hierarchy, minimal red tape/bureaucracy

Cons

Poor work/life balance, antiquated vacation policy, limited leadership diversity, sometimes too concerned with teammates' feelings over what's right/necessary for the company.

Advice to Management

Look for more ways to innovate, challenge old beliefs and processes, embrace technology in all areas of business, understand the balance between decentralization and efficiency and leverage, focus more effort on hiring the new generation

2. "Union-ize Please"

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Salary is well above minimum wage.

Cons

If you get on the wrong side of the wrong person, you will wreak havoc

3. "Good if your single and plan on staying single"

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yearly profit sharing
    Have some opportunities for overtime

Cons

Never guaranteed a descent paycheck
    Old unreliable machinery
    Promotions questionable

"It's a great place to work, the bonus system is the best thing I've ever had an employer do for their employees."

Current Employee - Welder Fabricator in Portland, TN
    Current Employee - Welder Fabricator in Portland, TN

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits, medical and we have a doctor on site two days a week. The bonus system is like no other place I've ever worked at.

Cons

The biggest challenge is in winter time, work is very slow, and bonus drops. We work fewer days and less hours per week.

Advice to Management

If there was a way that we could make buildings to store our work. That way we could work the same all year.

5. "Process Engineer"

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Amazing, adaptable team
    Interesting problems
    Great pay
    Culture

Cons

Relatively slow moving industry
    Tough to move up

Advice to Management

Keep innovating!

6. "Shipping/Receiving/Quality Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is on a "production bonus system" which allows the employees to make great money, when business is good.
    Benefits are excellent (401k, employee medical, time off options, holiday's...).

Cons

When business is slow, your paycheck will suffer to great lengths.
    Being a woman with an all male staff, it was really difficult proving myself and my worth, especially when my direct report submitted my ideas as his own.

Advice to Management

Head quarters should listen to the ideas of the plant employees.

7. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Mechanical Utility Ll in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Utility Ll in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, room for advancement, and good benefits.

Cons

Out of date technology around the plant.

Advice to Management

Hire because of skill and ambition over seniority.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Huger, SC
    Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Huger, SC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nucor is a great company that tries to put its people first. They are focused on safety and making money. The majority of our pay comes from hourly bonuses that multiply our base rate by percentage. If you earn $15/hr and have a bonus of 200% you get an additional $30/hr added to your base pay for a total of $45/hr. Looking at the base pay of most people (at or below $18/hr) it doesn't come across as a high paying job. However most people in technical positions break $100k by October.
    People are friendly and have an interest in your personal life. It is like a big family. If you want to learn something here you can. Cross training is encouraged and people are eager to share what they know. Also shift work is 4 12 hr. days in a row followed by 4 days off. Plenty of time to pursue other interests.

Cons

The environment is the hardest part. My Nucor plant is in the south and many days in the mill are over 100 degrees. The process is beyond filthy. If you have an aversion to dirt, grease, oil, dust, or grime of any kind don't even bother taking a tour. Just walking into the offices will get you a bit dirty!
    The work is physically grueling also. Fire retardant clothing, heavy steel metatarsal boots, hard hat, ear plugs... all in a mill that produces steam and massive amounts of heat. Lots of stairs and cramped spaces to fit into and work. Ear-splitting noise means you must shout to talk to people when out in the mill. Also the schedule mentioned above is rotating between days and nights. Every other week you're subjected to a 12 hr jet lag.
    All said the good outweighs the bad. Nucor does what it can to mitigate the problems mentioned above but it's the process of steel making that is really the issue, not the company itself.

Advice to Management

I am proud to work at Nucor. Please continue to be good stewards of the environment. We're the largest recycler in North America and that's something to be proud of. If the new administration succeeds in defunding the EPA to help the bottom line of a wealthy few, I challenge Nucor to stay the course and not relax its responsibilities to the environment and the people of our community, even if it helps our bottom line. At the end of the day we must remember: we can neither eat nor breathe money.

"Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent, LA

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Great company, lots of freedom and room to move

Cons

Louisiana location is terrible at communication and haven't figure out their process yet

"Millwright"

Former Employee - Millwright in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Millwright in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool process. Historic facility. Good pay & benefits.

Cons

Terrible management. Promotions go to those who are the best brown-nosers not the best candidate. Terrible shift/work schedule. Focus is more on their safety record and not on the actual employees setting those records.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who dont deserve it. Not who the boss is most fond of.