Nucor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Nucor CEO John J. Ferriola
John J. Ferriola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Safety conscious, Hands-on experience, good pay (in 20 reviews)

• Great company, very fast paced work environment (in 13 reviews)

1. "HR Admin"

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Everyone truly cares about each other & pushes to better yourself.

Cons

I can’t think of any cons.

2. "Potential to be a great job"

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Cofield, NC
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Cofield, NC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When the steel market is good the pay is more than what most jobs out in their areas will pay. There is freedom to come up with ideas to improve the process and implement them at your design. Safety is held to the highest standards. 4 days on, 4 days off schedule is good when not having to work extra. Profit sharing pays well into 401k for a good business year.

Cons

The pay is not consistent at all, based on production bonus. When told to come in, not specifically covering a shift, you get only a third of the pay because you won't be getting paid production bonus. Nucor is growing a lot as a company, and it is turning away from placing value on its employees and turning to doing what it can to please share holders and raise the bottom dollar. Electricians are stretched extremely thin, there is no one "on the bench", so when one quits someone else has to shift into a different area or the rotation changes to 5 days on 3 days off 12 hour shifts if you're lucky. I came on having to do 6 on 2 off. Most people live far away so a 12 hour day takes up the whole day.

Advice to Management

If no one has told you, morale is extremely low. From the melt shop to the shipping bay. There is nothing being proactively done to make the job enjoyable, and you would be wrong to think that having a job you enjoy doesn't matter. Turn focus back to the employees, listen to them to figure out how to make the job better. This place can really be a great place to work, but under the current maintenance management we have lost too many good electricians due to poor leadership.

3. "Nucor"

I have been working at Nucor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stability, nucor has been around a long time and claims to have never laid anyone off due to lack of work.

Cons

Pay is not great for the area, benefits are woefully mediocre.

Advice to Management

Market value not really offered for pay, and the 401k plan here is really sub-par.

"Happy to get there even happier to leave"

I worked at Nucor full-time

Pros

The people and the benefits.

Cons

Lack of direction, shoot first ask questions later type of mentality.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the people you have working under you instead of talking over them.

I was happy when I first came aboard and looking forward to the possibilities, However dealing with the management changed my mind quickly and really made me want to leave badly and with the exception of maybe the one or two top people in the office most people have no Idea what is going on because the information does not filter down from the top. Also to be fair I was dealing with some non work related issues that made it much easier for me to leave the office and not that it's an excuse but they were extremely short handed which led to me receiving almost zero training. I would say that the Managment is very honest and does try to be fair however I also think they are over worked and under staffed which makes it tough to give new employees the training they need and deserve.

5. "Event Mgr"

I worked at Nucor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team and great customer service

Cons

Small budget and limited service area

Advice to Management

Promote the company

6. "Metallurgist"

Current Employee - Metallurgist in Jewett, TX
    Current Employee - Metallurgist in Jewett, TX

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of ways to move up within the company

Cons

Locations are rural and it could be hard to retain talent

Advice to Management

There is a big gap in generations and it is hard to adapt to them but it is very important to keep that in mind

7. "Maintenance Engineer"

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Lots of great projects
    Great people
    Freedom to try new things
    Trusting management

Cons

Not really any
    Keep doing what we are doing and do it safely

8. "Electrician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent, LA

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great people

Cons

Not a good family atmosphere.

9. "Excellent benefits and potential."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked here over 15 years. Company that is not afraid to take risks. You can go as far as you want (yes, even EVP or 'C' level positions) from the ground floor. Hired on as entry level temp worker and have created three (!) new positions that I subsequently bid on.

Cons

Some sense of entitlement at the Seattle facility among Supervisors, but this I believe is because they were part of the previous Labor Union that was purchased by Nucor when Birmingham Steel went bankrupt. This is changing however with the influx of new workers entering the labor market.

Advice to Management

Need to step up your game! If all ideas are coming from your workers, you may need to reevaluate your role in the Hierarchy...

"Is Nucor right for you?"

Current Employee - Ladleman in Darlington, SC
    Current Employee - Ladleman in Darlington, SC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safety Safety Safety.... is first priority and should be the focus of all employees. Compensation for production employees is above average in my city. Their 401k and profit sharing is your retirement. Future employees should be mindful of this and take full advantage of this opportunity. Health benefits are really decent . Vacation time off is based on years employed.

Cons

Production employees are expected to work rotating shifts that vary from 8 to 12 hours per shift. Melt Shop employees currently work on a very tiresome 2on 2off 3on 3off schedule. Hopefully that will change to a safer schedule like a 4 on 4 off allowing more time to adjust from working evenings and days.

Advice to Management

Previously my suggestions have fell on deaf ears. Some higher ups are educated beyond their intelligence level and just can't allow advice from an hourly employee cloud their scholarly education. However, this is the real world and the wheels keep spinning. Overall, I find that management tries to do whats best for the company. I choose not to offer advice but to just say, Regardless whether your and hourly or salaried employee of Nucor, There is always room for improvement. Never have a "settle for" attitude.