Nucor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

3.1

Entry Level Metallurgist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Decatur, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nucor (Decatur, AL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview that lasted about an hour and was with a panel of five metallurgists currently working at the facility. An onsite interview followed, consisting of three different panel interviews. Two were with the team members and the third was with the managers. The onsite interviews lasted a full work day and included a tour and lunch.

Interview Questions

• What is something that I am passionate about that helps to motivate me in school and in work?   Answer Question
    • What are the four strengthening mechanisms for steel?   Answer Question

Network Administrator (SMG) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Passed the written personality and IQ test, had positive recommendations from Nucor employees from prior work, and had two phone interviews (I was only asked vague open-ended personality/opinion questions). After the second interview they said they were pursuing someone else. They have a habit of hiring unqualified (for the advertised position) internal employees over outside qualified employees. They were probably just doing the interview to say they tried to find others and meet an undisclosed interview quota. It's very rude to not give a reason to turn someone down or mention whether they would be kept in mind for future positions. This is especially true since I took hours of my time taking their tests and interviewing with them.

Interview Questions

• What type of personality trait do you find easiest to work with and why?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

I interviewed twice, one on campus and the other at the firm. I felt like the interview was average but i wae given a structural test which included stuff i had never seen during my undergrad. Also, one of the interviewers took me out to lunch and gave a tour of the facility which was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a teammate and what did you do about it.   2 Answers

Metallurgist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor in August 2016.

Interview

2 Panel interviews, 3 people in each interview. Panels consisted of engineers and managers.
    Interview questions consisted of about ten or so behavioral (STAR) questions. Technical questions regarding your work history are sprinkled in as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you made a mistake at work, and how did you correct it?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Everyone was very helpful to make arrangements for traveling and getting me to the facility. The interview process took about 4 hours and it was done it sets of two interviewers at the time. I think I did about 4 or 5. The process was painfully repetitive. My interviewers were visibly unprepared and some of them had not even read my resume. All the sessions started with the same question, to summarize my resume in chronological order which some of them had printed and some others just took notes of what I said. The rest of the questions were stock/generic questions. I was asked to tell them about a time I faced a difficult challenge about three times. There was long times between the interview sessions as if no one knew who was coming next. It was a very disorganized and awkward. It was slightly upsetting that some of the interviewers did not stop checking their phone. My impression was that in this company everybody has each other personal number and that is how they communicate on everything. One of my interviewers even told me very proudly that he was still in contact with operations while on vacation. Of course, he said because he wanted to. However, this makes me worry about what the company expects of you or what you get peer pressured to when you are off the clock. I really appreciated was that employees seem to have a great sense of belonging and team effort. They like to highlight how they take care of each other and help each other even when it means to work outside of their work description. However, it just seems to me that disconnecting during vacation or when you are off the clock is frowned upon . But that was just my impression. It would be wise to ask about this if you interview with them.

The title process engineer does not mean much, basically what I learned after 4 hours is that any engineer can be a process engineer. Their title is very generic and the job responsibilities seem to go all over the place wherever they need you. I had the feeling that nobody really knows what they are doing and they just wing it. I understand a lot of jobs can be like that but still with a certain structure. Here, I did not see any structure whatsoever. They highlight their lack of structure as a plus. In a way they are right, it is a great opportunity for growth and for learning new skills. But at the same time it seems to me like it is unorganized and that worries me a little.

They told me they were considering 5 or 6 other people for the one position. It's been almost two months since my interview and I have not been contacted back. I know I did not get it. Which is ok, but I wished they would have answered with a rejection letter. I think it is the decent thing to do and there is no excuse when you do not have a high volume of candidates. A stock email would have sufficed. But that is just me, no answer is the answer for some companies.

That's all I have to offer. Good Luck on your job search.

Interview Questions

• Summarize your resume from most recent.. over and over again.   Answer Question

Materials Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

It was on-campus recruitment. They had several events throughout the month where you could spend time with the recruiters and learn more about the company. I had previously done a lot of these events and develop a relationship with the recruiters, along with being able to tour a facility with my college. I talked to them at our career fair and was called later in the evening asking to schedule an in-person interview the following week. I then had an interview with 2 recruiters, one of which I knew and the other I did not. We sat on either sides of a table. They asked a lot of questions, and important ones, but it was relatively casual and relaxed. They also give you an online assessment to fill out with some personality type questions and some critical thinking questions. After a few days I received an email with a general offer for the company and then was sent my assignment later on.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jewett, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nucor (Jewett, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

It was a very laid back interview. We just had a conversation about why I wanted to work there. They also went into more detail for what I would be doing as an intern. We talked about being flexible with my class schedule. Overall, it was a very low pressure interview.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor (Fort Wayne, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

First had a standard phone interview with hr that lasted about 40min then was called to set up an email with the recruiter/design team leader. That interview was over an hour and a half answering standard interview questions and just having a dialogue. Then they had me drive to site which was reimbursed where had an all day interview that consisted of two panel interviews, a plant tour, lunch, and a technical test. Everyone on the team has to like you and you must pass an in site drug test To get an offer.

Electrical Industrial Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Nucor (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I want with my knowledge and work experience to join the group of workers in your company. I am industrial electrician/ strong electrical maintenance experience.-Experience with circuits, AC, DC, PLC, and troubleshooting electrical issues.-Ability to read blueprints/electrical schematics.-I have basic hand tools.

Interview Questions

• Maintenance Industrial Electrician????
      *Troubleshooting
      *All around equipment maintenance (Electrical,
      Mechanical, Welding.)
      *Automatic control PLC system and CNC...
      1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eufaula, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor (Eufaula, AL) in October 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at an engineering career fair at my university and was contacted via phone two days later. I had a phone interview that week and two weeks later I went to their office to tour their facility and do an in-person interview. I was interviewed by two design engineers and given a structural analysis tests.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to work in a team situation where you didn't get along with one or more of the team members?   2 Answers