Octagon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Octagon Chairman and CEO Rick Dudley
Rick Dudley

Pros
  • Very enjoyable place to work with great people and cool accounts (in 10 reviews)

• Fun work atmosphere with young professionals interested in sports and entertainment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay for long hours, cliquey, HR not responsive, managers are close in age (in 13 reviews)

• There are many trainees, very few opportunities after tour (still have to reapply), opportunities after tour feature low-pay with 0 benefits (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Committment, Passion and Possibility."

Pros

GREAT people. Employees are proud to work here. You work hard but have fun. The company just rebranded and there is a renewed sense of energy. This is an exciting time to work for Octagon and there is a lot of opportunity to grow and make an impact.

Cons

Creating a renewed sense of culture, but I'm confident we will get there.

Oct 3, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We think it's fantastic when our employees take the time to tell everyone how much they enjoy working here. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share ... More

2. "Event Trainee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Octagon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People and an opportunity to travel the country

Cons

Long hours and didn't see a lot of games

3. "Event Trainee"

Pros

Octagon is a great company to work for! The employees are a great group of people who love what they do and strive for success!

Cons

The pay is not the greatest, but for an event trainee position I understand why.

5. "Event Trainee"

I have been working at Octagon part-time

Pros

-Overall the culture of the company is great and there is a lot of opportunity to network and meet new people

Cons

-Some account managers seem to be a bit unorganized but other than that everything else is great

Advice to Management

It always amazing to see companies hire from within and offer opportunities of growth for current employees. My advice would be to continue with the Event Trainee Program!

Mar 28, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

So great to hear your feedback on our Trainee Program. We are proud to say that over 70% of our fulltime Account Executive hires come from our Trainee Program, so this is a very important program ... More

6. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Octagon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Octagon is full of passionate people who come to work every day striving to be their best. Clients and events are top notch.

Cons

Potential disconnect between "job levels" and experience level but moving in the right direction.

7. "Great company; opportunity for success with the right leader"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Octagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Octagon is a great company that thrives on employee advancement and morale. I work in a regional location and I enjoy the social hours and the focus on diversity -- diversity committees plan activities and events for staff to attend. For the most part, most employees are friendly and you have a team atmosphere amongst the various accounts that are setup within each office location.

Employees also have the opportunity to advance if a vacancy opens for them to work on another account.

Cons

While the company focuses on employee wellness and success, I think the corporate team needs to be certain they focus on employees in regional offices. Myself and other employees oftentimes have issues that we do not feel comfortable talking to higher ups in the office about, so relying on HR from afar can be tedious.

Surveys also need to be conducted to see how employees feel about their current positions and their managers, so strategies to improve can be provided to account directors that may not be good directors. Some individuals are promoted due to vacancies that need to be filled quickly; and that's not always a good thing when they aren't good managers. This can lead to turnover and low morale.

There is not a work-life balance when it comes to busy seasons on specific accounts. If you've been in the workforce a long time and you are salaried, you may be use to having comp time to compensate working over 40hrs per week. Unfortunately, Octagon does not have this type of policy in place. If it's to the discretion of the supervisor, that's not something that is provided because that supervisor may be by-the-book. So be prepared to work hard because you will get burned out if you don't create your own happy medium. PTO is plentiful, but again if you're so busy and you can't use it..defeats the purpose of having it.

Advice to Management

Create a plan to determine if directors are good directors. Strategize how to provide HR resources to regional offices, to ensure individuals are getting the fair end of the stick when it comes to having the resources and support they need to be the best they can be.

Also, find a way to implement "how to work with millennials" training to individuals in upper mgmt that manage new graduates. I have a few coworkers that feel misunderstood because more seasoned staff speak to them in a way that isn't conducive to what Octagon values are when it comes to employee morale and growth.

Consider annual bonuses. Employees work hard on accounts and contribute to success of the account they work on. If the client provides their direct employees with year end bonuses, the same should be considered for Octagon staff that helped the client achieve success.

Feb 20, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your thoughts and feedback. We care about what you have to say and how you feel about working for Octagon. It sounds like you really care as well. We know this is what makes us a ... More

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Octagon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, young environment. Friendly people who all have the work hard/play hard mentality. Currently addressing culture shift that will hopefully continue to improve. Great experiences for recent grads/younger professionals.

Cons

As mentioned throughout, pay is average at best and structured poorly. Could very easily reward those who are performing well with heftier raises, but due to structure, same 'capped' percentages are given to all with a +/- of 1% to 2% or so. Should be more flexible, especially for mid-level employees who are proven and high-performing but do not have an opportunity to move up within current account scope. Burnout is inevitable unless your timing is just right for a promotion due to vacancy.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate pay/raise/bonus structure. Truly reward those who have proven themselves at the middle management level and invest in their talent to keep them here. Continue improving culture and progressive work environment with flex schedules, office improvements, benefits, etc.

9. "Account Trainee"

I have been working at Octagon part-time

Pros

You get a lot of hands on learning experience on and off site. It is the chance for you to grow and to learn as much as possible. I look at this position as a masters program.

Cons

Knowing you are limited term at such a great company.

10. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Octagon full-time

Pros

-Octagon is a huge brand with a lot of recognition in the agency world, which is why it's a great place to begin your career.
    -The Trainee Program is extremely competitive but if you make it through that process the HR team and Octagon staff is awesome and will do everything they can to get you into a full time position.
    -Octagon has big name clients with office locations around the globe which gives you a great opportunity to make contacts and work in almost any location.

Cons

-The Octagon salary as an Account Executive makes it very challenging to live in a big city on your own.
    -Communicating with HR can be challenging while going through the trainee program, not being full-time

Advice to Management

Offer higher salaries, bonuses/raises to employees that are living in high rent areas

Feb 5, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments. Our Trainee Program is an important part of our hiring strategy for fulltime Account Executive positions. We hire almost 70% of our Account Executives internally, with a ... More

11. "Event Coordinator"

I worked at Octagon part-time

Pros

100% Travel. Opportunity to travel to many major US cities. Company card and $50 a day for meals.

Cons

You drive everywhere. I don't mind road trips, but some might.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.