Octagon Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Octagon Chairman and CEO Rick Dudley
Rick Dudley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great People and an opportunity to travel the country (in 12 reviews)

• Takes pride in being a trustworthy agency that assists global brands navigate the sports and entertainment space (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, they throw you right into the fire and expect you to learn on the fly (in 18 reviews)

• Relatively low pay for an elite marketing agency (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Group Director"

Current Employee - Group Director in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Group Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Octagon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture + people!!!
    Updated and state of the art offices
    Direct updates from upper management on weekly basis to status of company
    Ability to work within sports/properties you know/love given reach in industry

Cons

Working to bolster social/digital/content offerings - well on our way, with more work to do!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jul 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing. With updated office space in many locations around the globe, Octagon is on the move. You can feel the energy!

We look forward to continuing to find ways to make Octagon a... More

2. "Jr. Planner"

Current Employee - Junior Planner in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Junior Planner in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Octagon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is great and has a young feel. Many teams want you to succeed and grow and try to accelerate that growth as much as possible.

Cons

Pay is relatively low, but typically job perks outweigh this.

Advice to Management

Put value into your internal hires-- there are so many advantages to keeping employees that start with your company, and there is not much to show for it.

3. "Not a long term place to stay"

I worked at Octagon full-time

Pros

Great starter company to begin your career.

Cons

Compensation is a bit low.

"Don't fall for Octagon's "Event Trainee" position aka SLAVE LABOR!"

Former Employee - Event Trainee
    Former Employee - Event Trainee

I worked at Octagon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unless you like being taken advantage of by a large company that tries to justify slave labor, there are no pros.

Cons

This is how Octagon tries to recruit slave labor under the guise of an "Event Trainee":

-This position is limited term: November - December, working towards full time
    Candidates must be post grad
    -This role is located at _____ or _____ - would you be able to travel here at your own expense?
    -About 40 hrs./week
    -Compensation is $11.00/hr. with overtime at time and a half - no benefits
    -This is a great get your foot in the door opportunity. We will have longer trainee positions open in January. So, you'd be internal, getting priority consideration for other roles of interest to you
    -You'll be a part of our trainee meetings and will have access to my team to work on your career development

Ask yourself these questions before applying to work with this agency:
    Why would you want to work as if you are a regular full-time employee but get no benefits and a pay rate that is way below industry standard? If you just made it through graduate school because you decided to invest in getting an education, wouldn't you find $11/hr degrading? As a post-grad with years of experience working activations for many different brands, I am sad to say that working for Octagon is not worth it.

Why is being an "Event Trainees" a standalone job when every other agency provides independent contractors paid training on top of payment for working events?

Why are Event Trainees expected to work about 40 hours per week when every other agency gives independent contractors the freedom to work however many hours they want?

"Event Trainees" are basically working for free after taxes are taken out! HOW IS THIS LEGAL?

It is extremely insulting of Octagon to try luring people into accepting a knockoff full-time employee position by saying, "This is a great get your foot in the door opportunity. We will have longer trainee positions open in January. So, you'd be internal, getting priority consideration for other roles of interest to you." Just because Octagon says they will give trainees priority over other candidates when hiring for other roles, there is no guarantee of growth in this company!

After reading several reviews from former Event Trainees on Glassdoor, it is apparent that Octagon has been getting away taking advantage of workers financially for quite some time now. This disturbing exploitation of labor needs to STOP! Paying fake full-time employees $11/hour is unacceptable. Octagon need to be exposed and shut down for using slave labor because what they are doing is criminal.

For Octagon to call themselves the "world's largest sports and entertainment agency, " they can definitely afford to pay their workers more. According to Forbes, Octagon has made $114.4 million in commissions since September 2017. Where is all that money going???

Advice to Management

The Event Trainee position is just a facade to get people to perform slave labor. Start paying workers fair wages instead of trying to pocket almost all the money!

Dec 2, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your feedback. While we firmly believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion (this is why Glassdoor is in existence) we do feel it’s important to... More

"VP"

I have been working at Octagon full-time

Pros

Young, modern culture with amazing new office space in Stamford, CT

Cons

Below-market salaries and limited growth potential

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on delivering great work with your best people

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Your comments are appreciated. A strategic priority for us continues to be our people and putting programs in place that will help us to attract and... More

6. "Account Supervisor"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Stamford, CT

I worked at Octagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managed great events around country

Cons

Low salary, long hours and terrible benefits

Advice to Management

Increase wages if you want people to continue working there

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Octagon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, educational, and you really get the feeling that the company cares about each and every employee

Cons

Advice to Management

Encourage "unplugging" from work at night. More inclusive, fun activities for the whole company to participate in to bring everyone together

Sep 18, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments. Great to hear your thoughts on our culture. We care about our employees and believe in creating an environment that is inclusive; where everyone feels welcome, free to... More

8. "Great training program pipeline into FT work"

Current Employee - Account Executive (Formerly A Trainee) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive (Formerly A Trainee) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Octagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work culture best I have encountered
    -Flexibility in location/account after you begin your career
    -Make great contacts
    -Travel Opportunities

Cons

-Relatively low pay for an elite marketing agency

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We hire over 200 Trainees per year and our Trainee talent is our first stop when looking for candidates to fill our fulltime Account Executive roles. We typically... More

9. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at Octagon full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, opportunity to work on many different projects, regular company outings. It's very much agency life and it's not for everyone, but if you enjoy agency work and the chance to work on many different projects, then Octagon is a good place for you.

Cons

Low salary at the management level

10. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Octagon full-time

Pros

Agile work environment, the move to Stamford was an upgrade in work enivronment.

Cons

Benefits package should be considered average at best. Not terrible but should be considered for review.

Advice to Management

Identify talent and be more active in the account. Avoid playing favorites and realize who really is growing your business.

Aug 21, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Great to hear from you and thanks for sharing your comments. As noted, our HQ offices moved in June to Stamford, CT to new office space that is state-of-the-art with an open floor plan that... More