OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is phenomenal" (in 6 reviews)

• "The atmosphere is both casual and energized, so it's a fun place to come to work every day" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I came from a place where there is no free food or drink" (in 4 reviews)

• "They are constantly trying to conquer new areas of responsibility at the expense of someone else or some other team" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun Company with Big Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OfferUp has a fun and exciting culture and the potential to be one of the next big Companies in the Seattle area. The employees have the opportunity to help create products and features that make a difference for millions of users who want to find great deals or get cash for unneeded items. The teams generally get along well and jerks aren't tolerated. The atmosphere is both casual and energized, so it's a fun place to come to work every day.

Cons

Working at a startup is not for everyone. One of the OfferUp values is be scrappy, and if you expect to have all of the problems solved and all of the systems and processes already built, this may not be the place for you. However, if you'd like to participate in building them, OfferUp is a great opportunity.

Oct 15, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for the feedback and for being part of building on our culture.

2. "Really happy to work here @offerup"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, friendly, technologies, culture, challenging task,

Cons

can't think of anything at this moment

"Truly a great place to work"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

I have worked at a few tech companies in and around in Seattle and I can definitely say that OfferUp tops the list. They have built, in my opinion, a very cohesive, collegial, and engaging place to work. They have also done an excellent job at hiring great people; OfferUp employees are kind and friendly, and genuinely interested in helping you accomplish your tasks and projects as best they can. I think the company is also very balanced in it's goals and expectations, which aren't unrealistic or overly ambitious. The company's leaders expect a lot of their employees, but the expectations are often rooted in realistic and well thought out plans, so you know as an employee what is expected of you and how you can reach those goals.

Cons

You are able to tackle a variety challenges and tasks at OfferUp, some of which that may fall outside of your typical role. So if you aren't someone who is open to learning how to take on new tasks or explore new areas, and prefer a more confined role that doesn't expect you to explore and help in under-utilized areas of your or other departments, you may find that challenging. I personally think it one of things that makes OfferUp great, but I can see how some may not get as much out of that approach.

Oct 15, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for your feedback and we are glad to hear our core values have become a real part of your journey here. Glad you are a part of it!

4. "Exciting Startup, Fantastic Culture, High Impact"

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Backend in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer, Backend in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are actually excited about the work they are doing and want to come into the office each day. This excitement and happiness has created a culture that is great for productivity and just a fun overall workplace.

Engineers work on very high impact projects. Since we are still a small company, each engineer works on projects where they can really see the impact they are providing. The combination of the fast-paced environment and the high impact projects really keeps employees engaged and excited about their work.

Work/Life balance is phenomenal. Employees leave work early to go skiing together on a weekly basis during the ski season. Managers want to see that you are getting your work done, the amount of time you take off doesn't matter as long as you do your work!

Cons

Startups aren't for everyone. You have to be comfortable with the uncomfortable, every day is different!

"Fantastic Place to Make an Impact!"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This startup has a ton of potential and there is always something new and different to tackle. The leadership team is communicative and open to working with employees at all levels. They encourage you to spread your wings and actually value your opinion. It is amazing to see something you're doing impact the largest mobile marketplace. I have never felt more valued than I have in my time here at OfferUp

Cons

It is a lot of work and you need to be ready for it. A lot of the time we underestimate what we need to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things like Office Hours and being open to having conversations with all levels of employees--it makes a world of difference!

Oct 15, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for taking the time to write this note. We love that you have been able to make an impact and feel a valued part of our team!

"Account Executive - Autos"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

Smart people, healthy culture, experiencing rapid growth in the market, loyal customer base, and great product offerings.

Cons

OfferUp hires young managers who can come across a bit inexperienced, so there can feel at times a lack of support, and the majority are young, white educated males.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to innovate and take care of the customer and provide an outstanding user experience! Consider putting programs in place to promote more women into management roles from within the company, in order to provide stronger gender balance in female leadership roles in the workplace at OfferUp.

"False hope"

Pros

Free drinks and some free food

Cons

False hope by some folks in management

"Just really sad"

Former Employee - Android Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Android Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OfferUp was the first organization in my life I truly felt part of. There are not many tech companies where the product by its very nature brings good into the world. And, for most of my time there, I felt a sense of family and belonging, which made me really happy.

I felt valued as a person and felt I could make a difference. After listening to the CEO and one of our PMs talk about how it would be nice to be able to move around seating arrangements, I suggested wheels on desks and our CEO there and then made a call. After seeing how a lot of people seemed depressed, I was able to talk to the head of our community team about how I thought being able to see our customers' stories more would help us feel more connected to what we were building and it then became a feature of our all hands to have a user come in and tell us their story of using the app. And, while I was on the engagement team, I felt really connected to my PM and could even help relieve his workload by helping to drive several features.

Cons

But, apparently, with our rapid growth last year, a lot of politics developed. And, as a result, we lost many of the people I respected the most, three of the best PMs you could ever work with, a rockstar content strategist/strings master, and pretty much our entire design team.

As I had written the MVP for our new shipping feature, when we did a re-org, I reluctantly changed from the engagement team to the shipping team. And that is when work stopped being fun. I would repeatedly see large issues before they truly manifested in the decisions of the shipping team leadership, but when I told said leadership about them I was consistently ignored, and only after those issues manifested and the entire team complained would they be addressed, if ever. The features I was working on would change almost every day due to the entire team rushing and not taking the time to fully spec everything out and, as a client developer, I would usually be the one to catch any design, product, backend, data science, or client intersection issues, so most of my days were spent talking to people and helping to fix these problems, often without any thanks. And, most importantly, despite these issues being brought up in three separate retrospectives, nothing ever seemed to change.

I kept trying, however, and kept bringing up the issues. And, for that, I was put on probation and given an offer to leave. I loved the company and, were I to quit or be fired, I knew I wanted to take a break rather than immediately finding another job, so I waited, attempted to moderate my stress levels, and tried to see if the mess that was going on would change. It didn't, and, as I expected, a whole lot of features slipped their deadlines. I was finally fed up and asked if I could change teams and two work days later, right when I thought I would be changing teams and things would get better, I was fired and spent about an hour crying.

Advice to Management

Nick, try to reign in the mismanagement going on below you and try to make sure those going the extra mile to make the company succeed are properly thanked. I tried to keep making the company more efficient instead of leaving but a lot of other great people have decided to quit and more will do so in the future if nothing changes. You won't be able to replace them with people as skilled. And, as a result, the quality of OfferUp employees will slowly lower and lower.

The product you've created is so awesome and does so much good, so please don't let our users and my friends still at the company down.

Sep 21, 2018 – VP CX

We appreciate your passion and heard your feedback while you were also an employee at the company. As you noted, employees can have a direct impact on how the company operates and we pride ourselves... More

"Change is Good"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with offerup for a couple of years now and it has grown and changed quite a bit. Like all new companies, there are it's good and bad moments but I have to say, we are pretty lucky here at OfferUp. I love all of the fun events to bring the office together, opportunities to grow within the company and of course, the free lunches and snacks are a great perk as well!

Cons

Startup means constant change but that isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Sep 21, 2018 – VP CX

Thank you for being part of building OfferUp. This is an exciting time and adaptability is key. Thank you.

"An inspiring and happy place to work!"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

*Truly inspiration mission of the company. (so many touching offerup customer stories)
    * Friendly people and innovative environment
    * Challenging work
    * Great culture
    * Good Coaching and Learning opportunities

Cons

* Not clear liquidity plans
    * No chefs onsite (yet) :)

Sep 21, 2018 – VP CX

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for being part of this ride!