OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company treats its employees very well, and the work life balance is super (in 5 reviews)

• I very much value our executive team standing up and being so transparent and their intent to make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I came from a place where there is no free food or drink (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of people are leaving and for good reason (in 2 reviews)

"An inspiring and happy place to work!"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

*Truly inspiration mission of the company. (so many touching offerup customer stories)
    * Friendly people and innovative environment
    * Challenging work
    * Great culture
    * Good Coaching and Learning opportunities

Cons

* Not clear liquidity plans
    * No chefs onsite (yet) :)

"Mission driven and a very fulfilling work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I should write this one after I just read one of the a recent reviews. It is unfortunate most of the reviews are from disgruntled former employees who vent it out here rather than reflecting the true state of affairs. Yes the company has growing pains but it is no way close to few of the recent reviews. It has great culture, amazing people, lot of opportunities to learn, a leadership team which genuine cares wanting to push the envelope to win.

I have past experiences in both big and small companies and I would with no doubt say this is the best place I have worked in.

Cons

All the challenges expected from a fast-growing team and company.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus and more focus. Some of the recent changes are very good.
    Do not over react to any of the negative vibes, just let it die its own death.(It is mostly dead!)

"Glacial!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s exciting to work at a company that’s come so far! They have a large and growing user base, and when I mention it to anybody they’ve either used it or at least heard of it. Maybe not quite the household name that Craigslist is, but not far off at least on the West coast.

Cons

Things move incredibly slow. No sense of urgency. Not a strong engineering culture. If you have an issue, such as for example incompetent coworkers making it so you spend most of your time fixing, reverting, undoing and having cardiac events every time you get a “wtf?” code review that’s insanely complex, careless, and built out of hacks-upon-hacks, where do you escalate to? There’s nowhere to escalate to.

Advice to Management

What’s the reason for above “cons”? My first thought was executive engineering leadership, and while it is true that the person in that post is a complete joke, a person who has to be briefed on things in short repeatable phrases that he can parrot back to whoever, and a person with no ability to rally engineers behind him or steer the ship with a coherent vision, I don’t actually think that’s the problem.

The root problem is that engineering itself, the entire organization, is not empowered. You could install a CTO with a sure hand, with gravitas, with authority that stems directly from technical competence and experience but that wouldn’t even matter. He’d fail because look at this org chart! Individual contributor engineers effectively report to some PM. Meanwhile your actual reporting chain up through engineering goes no place, except some ineffectual headless adrift “leadership.” There is no pride in engineering. There is no ownership in engineering.

A brief anecdote: Back in Q4 2017 one of the executives called a meeting because the dev teams were sucking, really making a pitiful amount of progress. He gave us a pep talk about stepping things up next quarter, but also shamed us about how little we’ve been accomplishing. At the time I was insulted, but what else could he do? He was grasping at straws. Was wearing a cape and choosing a bird mascot and berating the team and telling them to work longer hours the right move? Of course not. Can I sympathize with his sense of exasperation? Definitely.

My suggestion is to give engineering more authority, more delegated autonomy right from the very top, letting them be equal-footed peers to product, so that they can move with the quick pace that comes from the excitement of ownership. Do this and watch them accomplish literally 5x with the same headcount.

May 4, 2018 – Vice President, Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The evolution of OfferUp, especially forward progress on making the company a household name, has certainly been an exciting journey so far. A... More

"Fast Paced with lots of team collaboration."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone’s ideas are valued and you are not just a number. I have not been with OfferUp for very long but every meeting the executive team is genuinely interested in my opinion and values my ideas. The culture is fantastic and the people are all laser focused. It’s awesome!

Cons

Honestly the only complaint is snacks need to be rotated or changed ever so often. Only been here a short time and I already want some change.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Dr. Seuss's Sneetches didn't learn they launched a startup."

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single "pro".

Cons

The very people who should lead by example (VPs/CEO),will habitually pass you by and make an effort to avoid/ignore your presence. As with most companies these days this one will use you until they have no use for you, then show you the door with no warning or remorse. Again while its not uncommon, for Offerup to be so small this behavior is disgusting especially when they pride themselves on being"#neighborly".

Advice to Management

I know this review will be written off as that of a disgruntled ex-employee or removed..but I just have to say..good luck. I have colleagues that still work for offerup so I hope for their sake the company does well but eventually either in business or elsewhere the surreptitious way you conduct yourselves will catch up to you.

"Exciting and Fun company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at OfferUp for about a year. I have fully enjoyed the people I work with, the culture, and the opportunities I have been given.

It is exciting to see the impact of my work on a day to day basis, and watch the company and product grow.

We get to have an impact on the only unicorn company in WA. An opportunity usually only available in the bay area.

The company treats its employees very well, and the work life balance is super.

Working on a consumer marketplace is very exciting your product is being used everyday by millions of people all over the USA. Much different than enterprise companies.

Cons

Being a startup in a more "mature" engineering location, it can be hard for some people to adapt to the frequent change of direction or new focus areas that are inevitable in a startup.

The infrastructure is still being built out so some of the tools and services of a big company are lacking

Advice to Management

Provide more leadership opportunities to current employees. Make sure to continue to focus on retaining and attracting top talent to help the company grow to great heights. Also, as the company continues to grow ensure that there are ways for people who are no longer happy with the company to adapt, share feedback or leave (with their equity).

Feb 12, 2018 – Vice President, Employee Experience

Thank you for sharing your sentiments. I think your assessment of where we are as a company compared to other (especially larger, more mature organizations) is spot on. It's a good reminder that... More

"--for-the-win->"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

This is a true startup. It is nice to see how things are evolving and changing here.
    Proud to work under leaders who own up and lead from the front. Hats off to our VPE who took an uncomfortable question head on in our company all hands! (I cannot imagine myself in a situation like that - no wonder they are our leaders) It was a slap on the face of the malicious intent of the questioner and the negative tribe in the company which is slowly fading away. The new engineering leadership seems strong. I very much value our executive team standing up and being so transparent and their intent to make a difference. The CEO genuinely cares for the company and I am positive we will win big under his leadership.

Cons

Be ready for things changing very fast and to change gears very often. If you are looking for a stable environment and everything given to you in a golden platter OfferUp is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! #DNA

"Great talent"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

- Very transparent executive team
    - Great engineering talent
    - Great Learning environment

Cons

-Planning process can use some improvement. Team is aware and diligently working towards.

Advice to Management

Priorities and focus on few needle movers.

Jan 22, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I, too, feel like we have some great talent throughout the company (in addition to our Engineering team.) As we continue iterating on our... More

"Fantastic company!"

Current Employee - User Experience in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OfferUp Leadership is one of the most transparent I have worked with in tech. The CEO is accessible and open to discussions about any topics. He has strong opinions but he should! I have never felt my ideas were dismissed but we have had a few lively conversations. I love this! I enjoy a culture that encourages diverse thought.

As a startup company we are experiencing rapid growth and with that comes some ambiguity. But that does not mean we lack direction. Decisions are made with all the data available. And decisions are reconsidered when new data is available. This is a sign of maturity not indecision. In the larger companies I worked for decisions were often protected and hyped long after it was clear they were off the mark. Strong leaders are reflective and course correct rather than make excuses. They listen to diverse opinions. And they make decisions based on the data. This is OfferUp in a nutshell.

The benefits and pay are very competitive! If I need some focused time working from home no one questions it. Everyone is focused on getting results not on corporate control head games. There is ample knowledge sharing with lunch and learns, Company wide meetings. And Friday demos. These are all opportunities to learn and ask questions as well as informal networking. This is a company culture you don’t see much theses days!

UX is a key investment and it shows. We have a steady stream of Customer data and it seems every day I see changes that have been driven by Customer insights. Significant investments are being made to design and UX research to deliver Customer driven enhancements.

Cons

Things move fast and it can feel chaotic at times. Life at a startup can feel vulnerable. We can’t do everything we would like to but then again I’ve never been at a company where there wasn’t a perpetual trade off analysis of resources and priorities. We have lost some good team members though given the robust Seattle Job market I guess this isn’t surprising even though it can feel stressful when folks need to fill those gaps.

Advice to Management

Continue to be bold! Don’t be complacent about culture. It is difficult to build and easy to break. Keep making time to listen to employees. Embrace the diversity of ideas.

Give credit! Ideas come from many directions and ultimately the final fit and finish belongs to many individuals but try to give credit and be cognizant of the fact that leadership is often piecing together the diverse voices of the team. People need to feel heard and valued for their contributions not just paid. I think some guy named Maslow had a triangle for this. It is subtle but whenever leaders say “we” instead of calling out their team members they may be eroding trust. Giving credit overtly and often by leadership reflects both integrity and strength.

"A Promising Startup"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

I joined the company because of its quite promising potential. The life here has its ups and downs and the infrastructure has room to improve, but we have a bunch of folks who are capable and willing to improve. No to mention the strong sense of ownership here you don't see much from other places.

Cons

We are going through the growth pain when the company grows. The way it used to work when the company was smaller will stop working.

Advice to Management

We need to prioritize better.