OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Safety and Security Specialist"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

Great environment to be in!

Cons

Overall, no cons. Free food is awesome

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent!

"OfferUp is all talk and no action"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (medical, dental, and vision paid for), fun work environment (for the most part), slightly over the top parties and events, and a stocked fridge with food and drinks including alcohol so you can drink to cope with all of the other problems you'll more than likely be dealing with (see below for more information)

Cons

Honestly, I have so much to say here that I don't even know where to start. I've had my share of good days and [many more] bad days, and I think you can take note of how I'm being treated here as indication of how you may be treated as well. Anyway, let's get to it.

If you enjoy feeling like you're completely disposable, then maybe OfferUp is the right place for you! There used to be a time where that wasn't the case; I walked in every day feeling like the work I was doing made an impact, and I felt truly excited. Now, it's become just another job run by politics and some senior management that, without much experience, landed the job when we were a very small startup. OfferUp visibly prefers the opinions of management over the concerns of normal employees, and while they might seem to listen to you, your opinions will go in one ear and out the other. Cool.

Hiring is crazy right now and has been for a while. We will see anywhere from two to eight new hires each week. That's awesome, except there was a previous review that stated how OfferUp would prefer to hire than promote, and while this might be different for certain teams, it is 100% true on my team unfortunately (I'll at least tell you it's a big team). Really, what a great way to motivate your team!

OfferUp prides themselves in having a flexible schedule and great work/life balance, but that's actually a massive lie. This is one of those things that used to be great, but with such a huge cultural change with all of the new hires and management, you're basically expected to overwork yourself and nothing less.

Let's get back to senior management and execs. I have not a single clue what [some of] these people do during the day. Lots of us feel completely out of the loop with where the company is going, and while they pride themselves in being transparent (and it definitely felt that way a year and a half ago), it is unfortunately the complete opposite of that now. From a product standpoint, you would think that we would like to work on some features that our users are asking for, at least to some extent, right? Wrong. Someone in senior management whose voice somewhat matters to the company decided they had a good idea and now we just do it. To further show how little power you get in your position, I've seen and heard some designers not even have a say when it comes to design/UX. That's literally their job. From what I can tell, we always seem to go for the "easiest and quickest" solution, which isn't alway the right solution, and that's just no fun for anyone. I quite literally am not very proud of a lot of the work we do.

I don't entirely have much good to say about HR. We fill out an employee satisfaction survey every year and they get a clear answer on what the employees are asking for in terms of change and what will help us have a better work environment, and we're promised thing will change, and they never do. Never. I will say that there's like two employees on that team who are always willing to drop what they're doing to help you out, so thanks for that.

There's probably so much I've left out, and it's so sad to see OfferUp go down the path it has. If things don't get any better, I can't say I'll want to stick around much longer. Here's to hoping we get acquired! (Isn't that sad?)

Advice to Management

Read the other reviews. I don't need to restate the exact same thing all the negative reviews are stating.

Aug 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we do have regularly quarterly business updates, we also have many ways for employees to stay informed on business performance, including... More

"Not quite what I had hoped for"

Current Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OfferUp is still small, so there is potential to have a big impact on the product as an engineer. This is particularly true if you're hired at a staff or higher level, and if you're happy to sacrifice some work/life balance for generous stock options and salary.

Nick Huzar's confidence and drive is infectious, and I trust the people on the business and product side of the organisation to keep us competitive in a competitive market space.

OfferUp has an unlimited vacation policy, and I've always been able to take time off or work from home.

The location (despite constantly sinking into the Mercer Slough) is beautiful and relaxing.

Cons

The engineering ladder is very granular for such a small team. We've attracted senior talent from respectable companies, and it can often feel like decisions are made by a cabal of the engineers at the higher rungs of the ladder with little regard for the input of the greater engineering team.

The codebase and infrastructure feels chaotic and of low quality. This may be par for the course for a company at this stage of their lifecycle, but I suspect things could be a lot better with a little more forethought. Design often feels overlooked due to a sense of urgency to ship and stay relevant. It's hard to influence decisions unless you are in a senior role.

Engineering management all seem to mean well, but I've yet to work with any really strong leaders. I'm concerned at the number of engineering managers I've heard intimate or outright state that a good work/life balance can't be expected right now.

Advice to Management

Try to give *all* engineers input into, or at least context for, decisions. You have to actually be transparent and inclusive - not just say it. Focus on helping the new engineering managers grow - they should be more than rebranded tech leads. Prioritize reconciling speed with quality. You can't just put some "DevOps engineers" on the problem - it requires an organizational and cultural shift.

Aug 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As fast as OfferUp is growing we’ll never do things perfectly. That said, I encourage you to share this feedback with your manager. We can’t... More

"CX"

Current Employee - CX Member
    Current Employee - CX Member

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly upbeat, fun place to work. It can just be frustrating at time. Co workers are great and company leadership is pretty well put together.

Cons

If you're not an engineer, expect to get put on the back burner. A LOT.
    Not much room to grow within the org.
    Incredibly slow pace with any new change needed.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the people interacting with your customers.

Aug 8, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments. As a technology company it is true that the bulk of our hiring for now is within engineering with a focus on technology. Part of these tech investments include more ways... More

"Sparkly exterior, rotten interior"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

There are many perks of working at OfferUp. Pay attention to these numbers, because they'll be important later.

1. You have access to some of the leading minds in the tech industry, all the way from powerhouse giants like Google and Microsoft, to some interesting companies like Wizards of the Coast.

2. They host and participate in many different events, including things like team building exercises, lunches with different organizations, as well as many different celebrations of milestones in the company's history.

3. The company boasts competitive salary, unlimited time off, paid holidays, and a lot of flexibility with working from home being one of the major perks.

4. Coworkers are incredibly diverse both in terms of culture and personality.

5. There is actually a huge focus on creating more equal ground for women at OfferUp.

6. OfferUp loves food. You have access to snacks - both healthy and not - as well as a stocked fridge full of beverages.

7. The CEO will often gather anyone nearby to engage in a friendly round of shots (liquor) at 9am.

8. OfferUp is expanding quickly even for a start up, with many opportunities for growth in the company.

Cons

1. Many individuals at OfferUp are stuck in the mentality that they got there because they're amazing individuals. While this is true for a lot of people, you can't escape the ego. It's a road block in literally every org, and every avenue of the job. VP's and managers will make incredibly important decisions because they think their position makes them more qualified to do that then you are, even though they just hired you to make those decisions. Prepared to be ignored, and when you're not ignored, to have your input (valuable or otherwise) brazenly dismissed.

2. While parties and events and the like are super fun, there's a certain point where you realize that half the people around you are just passing time until the next excuse they have not to work. These events are not for all people in the company - its either first come first serve, or you need to be on someone's "favorites" list to make it.

3. Unless you're in the CS org, and then none of this applies. The listed job description, all the way up to the official description given in the job offer, specifies all these wonderful perks. Upon signing on, you're informed that none of that applies to you because you're in CS. Whoops. Sorry not sorry.

4. There are people from all over the world and all walks of life at OfferUp. That's great, except the company frequently fails at accommodating religious requests. While I can't speak for the (I think two other) people at OfferUp who identify as part of the LGBTQ community, I didn't feel safe here. I was frequently harassed and stereotyped, and on more than one occasion, cornered after hours by employees who were uncomfortable with who I am.

5. This actually refreshing and incredibly empowering.

6. What's more important - letting people order as many alcoholic beverages as they want at the restaurant you rented out for another unnecessary party, or putting some extra funding into teams that are woefully under-budgeted?

7. If you like doing shots at 9am, I guess this is cool. Nobody will give you a hard time about it (to your face).

8. They company is often lovingly referred to as a rocketship. I chuckle to myself every time I hear this, because there are simple asks from departments (like can we have this feature configured in Zendesk) that have been languishing as internal tickets for over a year. Nothing goes anywhere, development stalls constantly, and every suggestion made to any department comes with the caveat that it isn't a priority item.

Advice to Management

Managers - Listen to your people! Set aside your ego for like two minutes - its cool you did all these things at your last job - but that doesn't matter now. It's time to move forward on to bigger and better things. If you don't, we all suffer for it.

HR - I don't even know what to tell you. Disappointing, to say the least. I think everyone is afraid to challenge HR because they're waiting for the dagger to drop. They're not far off.

CEO - You're a cool guy, and I wish that you were keyed in on these things. You seem like you really mean it when you get up there in front of everyone, spirited, confident, excited. But while you're doing shots, making calls, and taking flights - the gears you rely on to keep the machine running are grinding to a halt. Violently and with abandon.

Coworkers - I guess it's difficult to be so young in such a burgeoning industry. You're ambitious, keen to succeed, and you work hard. You're sensitive to your own doubts and fears and insecurities, but you're cruel towards others you don't like. I handled less emotional abuse at the hands of my homophobic highschool bully than the mental beating you gave me every day. The world is changing to be more accepting of different people, so why can't you?

Jun 7, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It's extremely disappointing to receive feedback like this as it's always hard to read about these types of concerns online, instead of... More

6. "Great place to work, great engineering culture, I'm learning a lot."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The engineering team is growing fast, fixing platform issues, building new features. This is the most exciting and interesting job I have had. My co-workers are great engineers who joined from great companies.

Cons

Fast change == some chaos.

Advice to Management

Be careful of growing too fast

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots of challenges to be overcome, management with a strong, consistent vision

Cons

Lots of technical debt needing to be retired

Advice to Management

spend more time clearing debt

"OfferUp is an echochamber of poor managerial decisions and disappointment."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, excellent benefits, cool events.

Cons

OfferUp lures you into wanting to work with them by promising room for growth and the opportunity to work with a fast moving startup, but your growth is limited.

Management and HR at OfferUp is misguided and they have no loyalty to long term members of staff. Time and time again, you will be passed over for promotion or let go altogether to make room for the latest and greatest. OfferUp has a long history of hiring from outside rather than investing in their current employees.

Senior leadership is a disappointment. They do not listen to staff ideas and frequently shut down any attempt to think outside of the box. They are disorganized and communicate poorly, leaving departments disconnected and unaware of other team priorities.

Employee morale is at an all time low, which has not been acknowledged by HR or any senior leadership. Promises to move towards change have been made and not kept. Their "company culture" is one of under-appreciation and distrust; not the fun, community oriented environment they make it out to be.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with grace and respect, instead of treating them as if they are disposable. Invest in those that have invested in you. Stop allowing senior leadership to be a dictatorship and allow more room for hearing the voices of those who give their all to you.

Apr 13, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. As OfferUp continues to grow, we'll continue to make adjustments to do what's in the best interest of the company, our teams, and our employees so we can get closer to... More

9. "WOW. I LANDED MY DREAM JOB!"

Pros

-Great Mission>>> What we do matters and impacts the lives of millions of people (plus your family and friends actually know the company you work for)
    -Leaders with a clear vision and roadmap for the company-- They're super accessible as well, we have an open floor plan and they welcome
    -Transparency: Business goals/challenges are communicated. Execs keep us in the loop.
    -Awesome Team- No matter what team you're on people are so friendly and open. The leaders have set a high-hiring bar and embrace difference/diversity.
    -We advocate for one another- One Team. One Dream. It's nice to have seniors that take the time to mentor and share best practices with the junior folks.
    -Ideas become projects- everyone who works at OfferUp are scrappy and brilliant. When we see gaps or inefficiencies in processes we're empowered to find a solution and innovate. Little hoops to jump through to get sh*t done :)
    -Employee Recognition- They make it a point to recognize employees for their hard work. Give us a platform to give shout outs to our peers for slayinn.
    -Understand that we are humans with lives outside of work>> UNLIMITED PTO- good for the Wanderlust in all of us
    -SNACKS. ON SNACKS. ON SNACKS--- you'll never go hungry. And if you're thirsty, we have a bar and a keg
    -Unicycle or scooter around the office. And during the summers we get to kayak and paddleboard behind the office.

Cons

-With a plethora of snacks and drinks at our finger tips, I think I've gained the freshman 15.
    -No baby carrots available. WE NEED THIS. ASAP. :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! Don't forget about the little people as we get bigger.

"Making a huge impact with an awesome team"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Backend in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Backend in Bellevue, WA

Pros

It is a wonderful team. People are really willing to reach out and help each other.

Work with smart people solving interesting problems or creating useful features with a lot of impact on our customers.

The company cares about doing things right for our customers, not what competitors are doing. The company also cares about each employee.

Transparent from top down.

You may be surprised to find out how big OfferUp is. You will also be amazed by how small and efficient the engineering team is comparing to other startups with similar valuation.

Cons

This is not really a con. I came from a place where there is no free food or drink. Now I need to remind myself to keep fit and not to go to the kitchen too often.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.