OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company treats its employees very well, and the work life balance is super" (in 5 reviews)

• "I very much value our executive team standing up and being so transparent and their intent to make a difference" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "I came from a place where there is no free food or drink" (in 4 reviews)

• "Lots of people are leaving and for good reason" (in 2 reviews)

"An inspiring and happy place to work!"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

*Truly inspiration mission of the company. (so many touching offerup customer stories)
    * Friendly people and innovative environment
    * Challenging work
    * Great culture
    * Good Coaching and Learning opportunities

Cons

* Not clear liquidity plans
    * No chefs onsite (yet) :)

"Just really sad"

Former Employee - Android Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Android Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OfferUp was the first organization in my life I truly felt part of. There are not many tech companies where the product by its very nature brings good into the world. And, for most of my time there, I felt a sense of family and belonging, which made me really happy.

I felt valued as a person and felt I could make a difference. After listening to the CEO and one of our PMs talk about how it would be nice to be able to move around seating arrangements, I suggested wheels on desks and our CEO there and then made a call. After seeing how a lot of people seemed depressed, I was able to talk to the head of our community team about how I thought being able to see our customers' stories more would help us feel more connected to what we were building and it then became a feature of our all hands to have a user come in and tell us their story of using the app. And, while I was on the engagement team, I felt really connected to my PM and could even help relieve his workload by helping to drive several features.

Cons

But, apparently, with our rapid growth last year, a lot of politics developed. And, as a result, we lost many of the people I respected the most, three of the best PMs you could ever work with, a rockstar content strategist/strings master, and pretty much our entire design team.

As I had written the MVP for our new shipping feature, when we did a re-org, I reluctantly changed from the engagement team to the shipping team. And that is when work stopped being fun. I would repeatedly see large issues before they truly manifested in the decisions of the shipping team leadership, but when I told said leadership about them I was consistently ignored, and only after those issues manifested and the entire team complained would they be addressed, if ever. The features I was working on would change almost every day due to the entire team rushing and not taking the time to fully spec everything out and, as a client developer, I would usually be the one to catch any design, product, backend, data science, or client intersection issues, so most of my days were spent talking to people and helping to fix these problems, often without any thanks. And, most importantly, despite these issues being brought up in three separate retrospectives, nothing ever seemed to change.

I kept trying, however, and kept bringing up the issues. And, for that, I was put on probation and given an offer to leave. I loved the company and, were I to quit or be fired, I knew I wanted to take a break rather than immediately finding another job, so I waited, attempted to moderate my stress levels, and tried to see if the mess that was going on would change. It didn't, and, as I expected, a whole lot of features slipped their deadlines. I was finally fed up and asked if I could change teams and two work days later, right when I thought I would be changing teams and things would get better, I was fired and spent about an hour crying.

Advice to Management

Nick, try to reign in the mismanagement going on below you and try to make sure those going the extra mile to make the company succeed are properly thanked. I tried to keep making the company more efficient instead of leaving but a lot of other great people have decided to quit and more will do so in the future if nothing changes. You won't be able to replace them with people as skilled. And, as a result, the quality of OfferUp employees will slowly lower and lower.

The product you've created is so awesome and does so much good, so please don't let our users and my friends still at the company down.

3. "Change is Good"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with offerup for a couple of years now and it has grown and changed quite a bit. Like all new companies, there are it's good and bad moments but I have to say, we are pretty lucky here at OfferUp. I love all of the fun events to bring the office together, opportunities to grow within the company and of course, the free lunches and snacks are a great perk as well!

Cons

Startup means constant change but that isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

"Why sure..just steal my idea"

Current Employee - Crisis Specialist
    Current Employee - Crisis Specialist

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

unlimited booze, food, PTO, and did i say booze?

Cons

Managers will hold a "team huddle" for ideas on a project, then pitch the entire idea as their own. Most of the management there, simply does not have a realistic grasp of what they are doing. You are shunned if you dont "drink the kool-aide." There is definitely a culture of favoritism and mental abuse. Most of the employees are often drunk and loud. If you are not a engineer, you are not respected or valued.

Advice to Management

Nick, you are doing a great job. I'm sure you are not aware of everything your leadership is doing to their subordinates and the amount of fraud that occurs. I think its time you start to clean house before the board finds out.

"Mission driven and a very fulfilling work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I should write this one after I just read one of the a recent reviews. It is unfortunate most of the reviews are from disgruntled former employees who vent it out here rather than reflecting the true state of affairs. Yes the company has growing pains but it is no way close to few of the recent reviews. It has great culture, amazing people, lot of opportunities to learn, a leadership team which genuine cares wanting to push the envelope to win.

I have past experiences in both big and small companies and I would with no doubt say this is the best place I have worked in.

Cons

All the challenges expected from a fast-growing team and company.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus and more focus. Some of the recent changes are very good.
    Do not over react to any of the negative vibes, just let it die its own death.(It is mostly dead!)

"Glacial!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s exciting to work at a company that’s come so far! They have a large and growing user base, and when I mention it to anybody they’ve either used it or at least heard of it. Maybe not quite the household name that Craigslist is, but not far off at least on the West coast.

Cons

Things move incredibly slow. No sense of urgency. Not a strong engineering culture. If you have an issue, such as for example incompetent coworkers making it so you spend most of your time fixing, reverting, undoing and having cardiac events every time you get a “wtf?” code review that’s insanely complex, careless, and built out of hacks-upon-hacks, where do you escalate to? There’s nowhere to escalate to.

Advice to Management

What’s the reason for above “cons”? My first thought was executive engineering leadership, and while it is true that the person in that post is a complete joke, a person who has to be briefed on things in short repeatable phrases that he can parrot back to whoever, and a person with no ability to rally engineers behind him or steer the ship with a coherent vision, I don’t actually think that’s the problem.

The root problem is that engineering itself, the entire organization, is not empowered. You could install a CTO with a sure hand, with gravitas, with authority that stems directly from technical competence and experience but that wouldn’t even matter. He’d fail because look at this org chart! Individual contributor engineers effectively report to some PM. Meanwhile your actual reporting chain up through engineering goes no place, except some ineffectual headless adrift “leadership.” There is no pride in engineering. There is no ownership in engineering.

A brief anecdote: Back in Q4 2017 one of the executives called a meeting because the dev teams were sucking, really making a pitiful amount of progress. He gave us a pep talk about stepping things up next quarter, but also shamed us about how little we’ve been accomplishing. At the time I was insulted, but what else could he do? He was grasping at straws. Was wearing a cape and choosing a bird mascot and berating the team and telling them to work longer hours the right move? Of course not. Can I sympathize with his sense of exasperation? Definitely.

My suggestion is to give engineering more authority, more delegated autonomy right from the very top, letting them be equal-footed peers to product, so that they can move with the quick pace that comes from the excitement of ownership. Do this and watch them accomplish literally 5x with the same headcount.

OfferUp Response

May 4, 2018 – Vice President, Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The evolution of OfferUp, especially forward progress on making the company a household name, has certainly been an exciting journey so far. A... More

"Fast Paced with lots of team collaboration."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone’s ideas are valued and you are not just a number. I have not been with OfferUp for very long but every meeting the executive team is genuinely interested in my opinion and values my ideas. The culture is fantastic and the people are all laser focused. It’s awesome!

Cons

Honestly the only complaint is snacks need to be rotated or changed ever so often. Only been here a short time and I already want some change.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Dr. Seuss's Sneetches didn't learn they launched a startup."

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single "pro".

Cons

The very people who should lead by example (VPs/CEO),will habitually pass you by and make an effort to avoid/ignore your presence. As with most companies these days this one will use you until they have no use for you, then show you the door with no warning or remorse. Again while its not uncommon, for Offerup to be so small this behavior is disgusting especially when they pride themselves on being"#neighborly".

Advice to Management

I know this review will be written off as that of a disgruntled ex-employee or removed..but I just have to say..good luck. I have colleagues that still work for offerup so I hope for their sake the company does well but eventually either in business or elsewhere the surreptitious way you conduct yourselves will catch up to you.

"Exciting and Fun company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at OfferUp for about a year. I have fully enjoyed the people I work with, the culture, and the opportunities I have been given.

It is exciting to see the impact of my work on a day to day basis, and watch the company and product grow.

We get to have an impact on the only unicorn company in WA. An opportunity usually only available in the bay area.

The company treats its employees very well, and the work life balance is super.

Working on a consumer marketplace is very exciting your product is being used everyday by millions of people all over the USA. Much different than enterprise companies.

Cons

Being a startup in a more "mature" engineering location, it can be hard for some people to adapt to the frequent change of direction or new focus areas that are inevitable in a startup.

The infrastructure is still being built out so some of the tools and services of a big company are lacking

Advice to Management

Provide more leadership opportunities to current employees. Make sure to continue to focus on retaining and attracting top talent to help the company grow to great heights. Also, as the company continues to grow ensure that there are ways for people who are no longer happy with the company to adapt, share feedback or leave (with their equity).

OfferUp Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Vice President, Employee Experience

Thank you for sharing your sentiments. I think your assessment of where we are as a company compared to other (especially larger, more mature organizations) is spot on. It's a good reminder that... More

"--for-the-win->"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

This is a true startup. It is nice to see how things are evolving and changing here.
    Proud to work under leaders who own up and lead from the front. Hats off to our VPE who took an uncomfortable question head on in our company all hands! (I cannot imagine myself in a situation like that - no wonder they are our leaders) It was a slap on the face of the malicious intent of the questioner and the negative tribe in the company which is slowly fading away. The new engineering leadership seems strong. I very much value our executive team standing up and being so transparent and their intent to make a difference. The CEO genuinely cares for the company and I am positive we will win big under his leadership.

Cons

Be ready for things changing very fast and to change gears very often. If you are looking for a stable environment and everything given to you in a golden platter OfferUp is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! #DNA