OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best startup in Seattle"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of my colleague today shared with few of the bad reviews which are showing up in Glassdoor on OfferUp. I felt very sad seeing that today and wanted to share my thoughts here. I have been here little under a year and I really like it here.

There has been recent attrition I have noticed from our ops team - pretty much the entire team left. I don’t have full context on why that happened. But based on my limited experience I absolutely detested and scared to work with few folks in that team. If I have to guess the negative reviews below it would be from the 6-7 folks from that team who left recently. This team did not get along with the platform team and the most of the engineering team. There was always tension I saw in the slack channels and emails. With most of these folks gone I hope things return back to normalcy. I sincerely hope they find other opportunities which are better fit for their style and expectations. It is very sad they turn to write such unfair harsh criticism on a company which is actually a pretty awesome place to work in.

Cons

The infrastructure is pretty week here and things need to get better but I see the leaders talking about it all the time and taking action. It is not far off from my previous experiences.
    The executives talking mostly above making $$$ rather than our customers is something I am not used to. It would be better for the company wide messaging to be about the customers rather than making money. The money will come when you take care of customers.

"Fantastic company!"

Current Employee - User Experience in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OfferUp Leadership is one of the most transparent I have worked with in tech. The CEO is accessible and open to discussions about any topics. He has strong opinions but he should! I have never felt my ideas were dismissed but we have had a few lively conversations. I love this! I enjoy a culture that encourages diverse thought.

As a startup company we are experiencing rapid growth and with that comes some ambiguity. But that does not mean we lack direction. Decisions are made with all the data available. And decisions are reconsidered when new data is available. This is a sign of maturity not indecision. In the larger companies I worked for decisions were often protected and hyped long after it was clear they were off the mark. Strong leaders are reflective and course correct rather than make excuses. They listen to diverse opinions. And they make decisions based on the data. This is OfferUp in a nutshell.

The benefits and pay are very competitive! If I need some focused time working from home no one questions it. Everyone is focused on getting results not on corporate control head games. There is ample knowledge sharing with lunch and learns, Company wide meetings. And Friday demos. These are all opportunities to learn and ask questions as well as informal networking. This is a company culture you don’t see much theses days!

UX is a key investment and it shows. We have a steady stream of Customer data and it seems every day I see changes that have been driven by Customer insights. Significant investments are being made to design and UX research to deliver Customer driven enhancements.

Cons

Things move fast and it can feel chaotic at times. Life at a startup can feel vulnerable. We can’t do everything we would like to but then again I’ve never been at a company where there wasn’t a perpetual trade off analysis of resources and priorities. We have lost some good team members though given the robust Seattle Job market I guess this isn’t surprising even though it can feel stressful when folks need to fill those gaps.

Advice to Management

Continue to be bold! Don’t be complacent about culture. It is difficult to build and easy to break. Keep making time to listen to employees. Embrace the diversity of ideas.

Give credit! Ideas come from many directions and ultimately the final fit and finish belongs to many individuals but try to give credit and be cognizant of the fact that leadership is often piecing together the diverse voices of the team. People need to feel heard and valued for their contributions not just paid. I think some guy named Maslow had a triangle for this. It is subtle but whenever leaders say “we” instead of calling out their team members they may be eroding trust. Giving credit overtly and often by leadership reflects both integrity and strength.

"A Promising Startup"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time

Pros

I joined the company because of its quite promising potential. The life here has its ups and downs and the infrastructure has room to improve, but we have a bunch of folks who are capable and willing to improve. No to mention the strong sense of ownership here you don't see much from other places.

Cons

We are going through the growth pain when the company grows. The way it used to work when the company was smaller will stop working.

Advice to Management

We need to prioritize better.

"Who are these people!?"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn, good people, good culture and happy place overall.

Cons

Why the recent negative reviews in GlassDoor? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Do they really work in OfferUp? Shocking write-ups below.. I am here for 6+ months and hard to relate to the truth of the negative comments I see here.

Advice to Management

Please ensure everyone is happy! Looks like there are few unhappy folks. The management needs an internal avenue for these unhappy folks to share their concerns and address them. (if indeed they currently work at OfferUp still)

OfferUp Response

Nov 20, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for taking a moment to share your feedback. We respect everyone's opinions, even when the sentiment is critical. We are building a unique and special culture and recognize working in a... More

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Works hard to have a creative and friendly atmosphere. CEO is very driven, focused, and approachable.

Cons

Growing quickly, so results in rapid changes

Advice to Management

Keep being open to change!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible , welcome culture, free lunch Friday, potential to IPO, lots to learn, fast peace, work life balance is good in some team.

Cons

Not much so far, probably common con like other startup, uncertainty, less technical proficiency , not well defined process, less growing space.

OfferUp Response

Nov 20, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. It's great to hear your positive experience so far working at OfferUp. We definitely have lots of opportunity to help define processes, which can be... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative, open, and promotes open thinking

Cons

if you are expecting allot of structure, documented processes this place is not for you.

"wait and see"

Current Employee - SDE2 in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A friend showed me some of the recent postings here last week. Being at OU for over 2 years, I can say all the negative reviews are true now. One review I thought was too mean though, even if it is true. If you look closer, you'll see the negative posts are recent, things were good before. This is only a recent happening.

This was not always the case, last year the company was great, even could be 5 stars. It's only now that it's bad, hence the new rating which I didn't want to give.

As far as a place to hang your coat everyday, this place is fine. Aside from the elitism of company leadership, the regular people are good. There is not much pressure for work in tech and looks like even less in product and design teams.

Cons

Only recently have things gotten bad. That is what all the negative feelings for management come in. They are just too elite heavy-handed and don't care that things are bad.

This whole "worried" feeling just happened in the past months because of leadership decisions and lack of transparency. People are silent and have a fake sense of security and optimism to wait it out and see what happens suffering in silence. Looks like some others are posting their feelings here as an outlet. I would avoid coming here until some house cleaning happens and things turn around. I'm going to wait and see if things get better otherwise will look at moving on leaving.

Advice to Management

Create an anonymous internal channel and follow through to turn things around, otherwise the negativity will keep spreading. Take some action and be transparent with people.

"It is like Seattle weather here - either you love it or hate it... you decide! I love it!!"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is going through what I call a growth spurt - folks who are ready for it are enjoying it here and bunch are not. Do come here if you are ready for an unique challenge and opportunity for your life. Do come here if you want to be part of a once in a life time opportunity. If you are a fighter, the company wants you. Loved the company all hands today. Contrary to few comments below I really look up to the Engineering Leadership here. I love my manager and my Skip.

Cons

*Do not * come here if you expect everything to be handed over to you in a golden platter; This is not a Facebook/Google(yet!)

Advice to Management

Tip for the leadership: Please show some courage and accelerate the weeding out some of the negative culture. A specific group of folks mainly few old timer need to adapt or just get out of the company! This group which is mostly bunch of weak engineers seems to more intent on back channel gossips, tarnishing people credibility and bringing the morale of the rest of the company down.

"Great place, good people and good culture..."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here few months here so far and I really like it here. Good set of engineering problems to solve and folks have a very positive attitude. I am glad I picked Offerup among all the choices I had.

Cons

Curious how the company does in the long run.

Advice to Management

Please continue to he open and transparent.