OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 3, 2019

3.8
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Others like the flexibility work/life balance relative to working for a larger company" (in 7 reviews)

• "The atmosphere is both casual and energized, so it's a fun place to come to work every day" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I came from a place where there is no free food or drink" (in 4 reviews)

• "They are constantly trying to conquer new areas of responsibility at the expense of someone else or some other team" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun Company with Big Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OfferUp has a fun and exciting culture and the potential to be one of the next big Companies in the Seattle area. The employees have the opportunity to help create products and features that make a difference for millions of users who want to find great deals or get cash for unneeded items. The teams generally get along well and jerks aren't tolerated. The atmosphere is both casual and energized, so it's a fun place to come to work every day.

Cons

Working at a startup is not for everyone. One of the OfferUp values is be scrappy, and if you expect to have all of the problems solved and all of the systems and processes already built, this may not be the place for you. However, if you'd like to participate in building them, OfferUp is a great opportunity.

Oct 15, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for the feedback and for being part of building on our culture.

2. "Lots of challenges and an exciting road ahead."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work on a small but great team working on figuring out how to manage our first large revenue source. We have the ability to speak our minds and come up with solutions that will pave the way as the team gets larger.
    The products works well in metro areas where we have a lot of users.
    I believe in the companies mission and am looking forward to see all of the positive changes to come. I am looking forward to growing with this team and seeing our product evolve to become a big player in this space.

Cons

The administrative part of this position seems to take up a lot of time but hey its a startup and will get better with time.
    The location is tough if you want to take public transportation to work .

Advice to Management

Keep the monthly all company meetings in place. I enjoy hearing updates from the different teams and about upcoming releases.

3. "OfferUp - Great place to work and learn."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transparency. OfferUp is one of the rare companies that I have worked with that allows us to have insights on all aspects of the business. Exec hours are held regularly so anyone can have a conversation with the guys and gals on top of the decision making and provide feedback, opinions, or just shoot the breeze. The compensation is fair. And the flexibility is great. I have "zero" micromanagement and I really appreciate the unlimited vacation and life/work balance.

Cons

Things change quickly. If you are not used to changing you may want to look at a company that is not in startup mode.

Advice to Management

Train to promote within.

"Retain consistent high performance versus one trick pony’s!"

I worked at OfferUp full-time

Pros

Valuable and timeless concept; pay is usually higher in comparison to other start ups in seattle; beautiful building and location.

Cons

Lacks strong leadership- the current leaders are so weak and mediocre that have failed to earn respect and therefore allow poor performers to continue collecting a paycheck and distracting and demotivating those who truly care for the company and want to be there for the long haul. That is one of the reasons why many outstanding employees have left because that environment seems a joke- If Nick (CEO) really knew what happens down at that level he’d be disgusted too. Many of these one trick pony’s employees are there to party, eat all the snack and drink-technically living up to the “Life at OfferUp” hiring campaign they were once attracted to and fortunately for them , it didn’t disappoint . Work and what an employee is hired to do becomes the least of their priorities!

Advice to Management

Nick, hire a strong human resources team that can work hand in hand with your leadership team to build their confidence in addressing mediocracy in performance at an early stage and polish those leadership skills so they can lead their own teams more efficiently; not only the team morale will be better but also more work will be done. A win-win situation for offerup! Also, you may want to rethink your employee recruiting strategies in terms of showing how working there is all fun, drinking, partying and work only when you want (your manager will never know anyway) -You are attracting exactly that!

"Stock options don’t cut it"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really liked the people I worked with. Everyone I was hired with are some of the best guys I’ve had the chance to work with. Most of my team was helpful and wanted to help out. This was nice because managers aren’t always at their desks to approve your deals. Lots of good snacks and free food. Most people from other areas were nice and friendly.

Cons

4 pay cuts to commission in 3 months.
    Commission’s are now less than half of what you can make at other sales companies in Seattle and Bellevue. Outside of selling, not many opportunities to grow inside the company.

Advice to Management

If you find it vital to make your teams feel empowered to offer the best possible solutions for your customers, you can’t cut the commission structure in half and then cut it three times after that. Reps who can’t pay their bills, won’t be happy at work and around their coworkers. They also won’t come off as happy when they are on the phone with a customer.

"Account Executive- Auto’s"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks. Good product. Nice people.

Cons

BE VERY CAUTIOUS! The executive leadership team and managers are not quite sure how to successfully make money and be good leaders. When I was on the Auto’s Sales Team I saw managers and execs fire good people, good people making an impact in the company and industry. From what I have heard and seen, they will fire you quickly and not give you much reason. They are frantically trying to figure out how to grow, scale, and monetize successfully and if after a few months they feel you are not a 100% fit for their plan then you will be gone. When I was there I saw my manager get fired, who was a great leader and good person. A VP left because that person no longer believed in what the execs were trying to do. Head of Recruiting left, etc. There are a ton of great companies in the greater Seattle area with very smart, successful, and most importantly experienced leadership. Be cautious if you interview with OfferUp. Like I said, they have a great product but lacks quality leadership.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced executives and leaders. OfferUp has done an outstanding job building an amazing product but having a successful company is much more than having a good product.

Dec 10, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

We are sorry that you didn't have a great experience. We are committed to improving our ability to execute and operate more efficiently. As part of this, we do expect these types of growing pains as... More

"One of Seattle’s best startups!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, promising product line and overall fun working environment. New management promises structure and strategy.

Cons

Leadership feels a little top heavy right now. Clarify growth paths that are aligned to deliverables, not shmoozing.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to make decisions and take ownership. Resist the bureaucracy that comes with this size (and quickly growing) company. The new execs are moving in the right direction, time to re-evaluate whether you need so many VP’s.

Dec 10, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for your feedback. It is vital that our teams feel empowered to develop the best possible solutions for our customers as it's an important part of our DNA!

8. "Have drive? Will succeed"

Current Employee - Product Management in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make an impact
    The culture allows you engage and put your ideas forward.
    If you see a challenge and have the drive, you can chase it dow.
    You get to be part of a startup with stability and marketplace traction with lots of potential upside.

Cons

I'm in my first year so not sure yet, I suppose if you require someone to prescribe your work to you and if you need lots of direction, it might be a challenge as the place operates in startup mode in many ways.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing maybe with fewer meetings. :-)

Dec 10, 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear that you find your work is both challenging and engaging. It's great to have you on the team!

9. "Great choice for leaders looking to make an impact and invent new customer experiences"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at OfferUp for just a few weeks but the feedback from those who work here is consistent. People are here because of their ability to make a big impact. The size and scale of the opportunity is huge. The size of the customer base is huge and the leadership obsess over how to constantly improve the customer experience.
     Other reasons why folks are here is that they like and respect the people they work with. Others like the flexibility work/life balance relative to working for a larger company. But most of all they value the opportunity to add value and have much greater autonomy than at a large company.

Cons

While no good restaurants nearby is a drag, the thing that people would like to see is that the company improve its ability to execute and operate more efficiently. These are normal growing pains as OfferUp is transitioning form a pure product and engineering company to one that is building a business and grow revenue.

Advice to Management

I am brand new to the management team and I am soliciting feedback from all across the company.

10. "Really happy to work here @offerup"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, friendly, technologies, culture, challenging task,

Cons

can't think of anything at this moment