One Reverse Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at One Reverse Mortgage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at ORM because I feel supported, appreciated, and empowered to be my best self in a positive environment that values their team members. After nearly a decade working in various roles, I continue to enjoy coming to work every day knowing I am a part of a strong and amazing team that encourages innovation and improvement in all areas of the business and that is passionate about helping our clients achieve their goals of aging in place. In addition to the fun but hard-working atmosphere, we also have a supreme benefits package and many team member perks that allow for a healthy and happy work/life balance.

Cons

There are many industry, business, and process changes which can be difficult to navigate and execute and it can be stressful at times but with the right team members that believe in the "We'll Figure It Out" attitude, anything can be done and done well!

Advice to Management

Continued support, execution, and transparency motivates team members to shine and appreciate the amazing company we are a part of.

"A Great Place to Grow in Your Career"

Current Employee - Marketing Team Member in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at One Reverse Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company, especially my leader, is supportive of you learning more and doing more to advance your career and your talents. The office atmosphere is colorful and fun, and there are a ton of great benefits. I can't speak for the mortgage banking side, but if you work for another team, chances are you won't get bored doing the same thing every day because you dip your toes into a ton of different projects, which expands your knowledge in various areas and grows your confidence in your abilities as a professional.

Cons

If you work on a small team here, there will be times when there are multiple projects going on at once and it can get stressful and hectic. You really need to know how to prioritize, stay organized, and stay on top of every project you're a part of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support. It really helps push your employees to learn and/or try new things.

"Almost 7 years in... an still going strong"

Current Employee - President's Club Banker and Lieutenant Director of Mortgage Banking (LDMB) in Detroit, MI

Pros

I started with One Reverse Mortgage after I graduated college and quite frankly, I see myself continuing to work with the company in some capacity until I retire. After being with the company for almost 7 years, I have seen the ups and downs of the industry and challenges that the market has presented to us. I have an unwavering faith that the leaders in our company are always going to continue to do the right thing and steer the ship in the right direction while fostering a culture that focuses on the goals for each of our clients as well as personal goals for each of the team members. A few additional pros include: An amazing training team-no experience necessary; cutting edge technology to keep up with constantly changing market and social conditions. Leads are provided not purchased by the team members individually. Flexible work hours for tenured team members. Fun, exciting, business casual work environment. Generous compensation plan based off of salary and commission. Tons of opportunity for growth and development both personally and professionally. Amazing culture that is not based on a hierarchy. The doors of communication and support are wide open.

Cons

If you don't want to work hard and you are not willing to tough it out while you are learning, this job isn't for you. The first few years of working with One Reverse require a significant amount of time invested including weekend hours. This is not your typical 9am-5pm job. You will get what you put in. Personally, I don't view this as a "con" but more of a lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing. I think we have an amazing group of senior leaders that continue to keep the best interests of not only the company but also each team member at the forefront of the business plan. Keep the doors of communication wide open.

4. "Reverse Mortgage Banker Sr."

Former Employee - Senior Reverse Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Reverse Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at One Reverse Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. That's really it.

Cons

Work/Life Balance, high stress, maturity level of directors. At one point, my director had taken his headset off and thrown it at me. Threats of employment if you didn't meet un-exeedable goals.

5. "Mortgage Banker"

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at One Reverse Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment , nice co workers, nice snacks

Cons

Pyramid scheme, no work life balance, minimum of 55 hours per week, no overtime (instead you get paid half time for every hour past 40) intense micro managing, much like slavery.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, make it a 40 hour work week, pay the bankers what they deserve

6. "Lead"

Current Employee - Lead in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Lead in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at One Reverse Mortgage (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun office environment, and great benefits and time-off.

Cons

Moving up can take a long time, and the pay seems lower then other places in the industry.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with work atmosphere, and managing work life balance.

7. "Terrible management"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, office, that's it.

Cons

All female management. Catty, petty, non-stop drama. They act like they are 16 and never miss a chance to remind you they are management. Most have no college degree and they only hire those they think they are superior to or not threatened by.

The culture there is to do your job and don't question anything. They have these idiotic "isms" that aren't even original, they are all cheesy clichés.

Advice to Management

Clean house of current "management."

8. "Just Understand what you are getting in to"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Fun people to work with
    Upbeat environment
    AMAZING Training
    Office environment is not your standard office and competition helps the day go by quickly.
    You are quickly trained and have the opportunity to make a lot of money very quickly

Cons

No work/life balance
    Directors don't seem to really care for the employees. They can call-in without consequence when they have a family issue, but do not understand when the employee does the same thing

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your training, but start caring more. They are your most valuable asset. Until you make the employee believe that you care, you will always "Turn and Burn"

"It is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at One Reverse Mortgage full-time

Pros

Environment is fun. The people I work with are wonderful. Getting together outside of work allows us to experience each other in a much different setting and I have made lifelong friends. If you want to be challenged day in and day out, this is a company for you.

Cons

East vs west coast is really the only issue I have had. The time zone difference causes a few hiccups from time to time.

Advice to Management

Flex time.

10. "Mortgage Banking Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at One Reverse Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made some friendly connections with my "team" or class of mortgage bankers.... Fast forward to today many of them have left before and after I have and felt the same way. Was educated in mortgage banking, received 11 state licenses!

Cons

Pressured to produce. Call cannon - start pretty much as a call center for a mortgage product. Leads really were not coming to you, most of them was through marketing like a "birthday card" sent out for wherever they found lists of people turning 62... time for a Reverse Mortgage, right?
    Working in downtown Detroit. Having to move to a new building each month because OMG they're growing! Didn't feed into their "isms" yes... they had isms!
    I wanted to visit my spouse while he was away for AIT in the US military for one weekend after him being away from home for over 6 months. Was told I could not go since I'm not producing to their liking! Took me into the ORM boss' office with my director and had a "friendly interrogation." Left the next day.
    I didn't want mortgage banking in the first place, thought that would be natural for me since I am a sales-driven individual. Found out the hard way and now I am turned off to their company. I'm not the only one, I feel like many are apprehensive to speak up.

Advice to Management

I am aware money makes the world go 'round but it isn't everything.