One on One Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

One on One Learning Reviews

2.2
Marcel Monnar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Start for Aspiring Educators"

Pros

- Good hours
    - Flexible Schedule

Cons

- Long drives
    - They don't cover gas expense
    - Getting clients is sometimes a slow process

2. "Very Unorganized"

Former Employee - Reading Tutor
    Former Employee - Reading Tutor

I worked at One on One Learning part-time

Pros

Good pay. Flexible hours. Great working with kids. Rewarding. Main office in Florida more organized than local managers.

Cons

Do not tutor in groups, they will totally rip you off in pay. Keep very detailed record of the hours worked. Having to pay for all gas, supplies for the children with no reimbursement. A lot of evening and weekend hours. Very unorganized from the local level up in management. Cannot get anywhere when there is a problem, you need to go to the top managers to get problem resolved. Do not plan on getting the required paperwork needed to tutor at the times you need them.

Advice to Management

Get better program managers. Get more organized on the local level. Make sure or follow through on the local level, possibly with the tutors to make sure they are getting what they need from program managers.

3. "One On One Learning"

Pros

Great Pay and great job.

Cons

Job is only part- time as it is tutoring children after school.

4. "Incompetent Supervisor"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

Pros

The actual work that you will do is fairly straightforward, stress-free, and enjoyable. The students that I worked with and their families were delightful.

Cons

Our training was extremely bad. We were given a huge packet of forms. Different paperwork applies to different districts only, so most of the paperwork is not even relevant to your specific position. Despite listening and trying to understand, even taking notes, I could not understand which paperwork was necessary for me because the paperwork is not clearly labeled and some forms have the same name, and asking my supervisor did not help. I have taught in a public school before and never had this much trouble figuring out paperwork before. Our supervisor sends out literally hundreds of e-mails, most of which do not apply to me personally, but are unprofessional reprimands of other employees for mistakes they have made. She even uses names in some cases or makes it obvious which employee she is talking about by referencing their district. Expect your inbox to be flooded by irrelevant personal messages, ex. "I won't be able to meet Jane in Northville today", (when you don't even know who Jane is). When I do have questions for her personally, she takes days to reply to my e-mail and has never once addressed my issues, even when I tried to ask simple, direct questions. She has zero ability to explain what is necessary for the paperwork, which, by the way, takes hours to complete, and you have to drop the paperwork off at her house, which all takes time. Don't be fooled by the offer of 25/hr. With this incompetent supervisor, you will end up spending at least five extra hours per month just trying to figure out the paperwork. Also, they charge you hundreds of dollars up front to do a background check and fingerprints, and will not accept fingerprints done at a local police station (which is FREE). If your fingerprints are sent back, you need to pay again. Basically, you will work directly with your supervisor, so if they are incompetent, you have no where to turn for help. Good luck...

Advice to Management

Please reach out to employees to evaluate the effectiveness of their supervisors. This is ridiculous, and I don't even know who to contact with my concerns.

"Private companies are all about the bottom line"

Former Employee - Lead Tutor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Tutor in Miami, FL

Pros

Pay is as good as other similar companies.

Cons

Quantity vs. Quality....it's all about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better.

"Decent temp work with education experience"

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

-Fairly flexible schedule
    -Pays quite well in group tutoring sessions
    -Can be rewarding when kids are cooperative and making progress.

Cons

-Schedule is mostly determined by parents' availability
    -Mostly appointment based, so pay is determined by people keeping appointments
    -Must consider drive time between appointments and driving costs

Advice to Management

My main concerns are not with the company itself. One on One Learning seems to be a capable company, but much of its success depends on its tutors. But I suppose the work itself will weed out those not suited for it.