Optiver Reviews

Updated May 7, 2020

4.3
Pros
Cons
  • "Bit of discrepancy in salary between developers and traders(in 10 reviews)

• "Long hours which are (unfortunately) an industry standard(in 9 reviews)

"Challenging and rewarding IT environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Optiver full-time

Pros

Incredibly collaborative environment that presents constant opportunities to learn. Optiver gives young employees a chance to make a serious difference within an industry leading firm. The built in support system of extremely intelligent technical professionals helps members throughout IT learn to act in principled ways, leading to a stable, reliable IT infrastructure. The work is engaging, challenging, and rewarding. That, coupled with the benefits and workplace perks make this a great place to work.

Cons

Very few cons come to mind.

Optiver2020-02-19
  2. "Good culture and people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Optiver full-time

Pros

All the usual tech company perks (breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee) Reasonable hours for finance in general Good compensation, with transparent performance based bonus system.

Cons

Hours could still be better, 8-5:30pm is pretty much the minimum expected for software devs, and it only gets worse. Compared to some other tech firms my peers are working for, that's pretty bad. Compared to other fintech firms my peers are working for, that's pretty good/on par

Optiver2020-03-24

"Toxic culture built on fear: great benefits"

2.0

I worked at Optiver full-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing, great 401(k) match, fully funded insurance, 25 vacation days a year, annual bonus. Breakfast and lunch provided.

Cons

Culture is extremely toxic, especially within IT. Long-time employees fired without warning regularly. CTO gave a speech about how fear should be the main motivator for our jobs, and that keeping our jobs was the reward for good work. Regularly heard others engaging in racist and sexist language during the workday. This was ignored because the individuals were partners within the business. Little to no career advancement opportunity.

Optiver2020-02-13
  4. "Very Isolating"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Optiver full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of great learning in a short amount of time

Cons

You need to figure everything out on your own with zero on-boarding and training. Expectations are not clear.

Optiver2019-12-04

"Great benefits, long hours, good bonuses"

Current Employee - IT Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Optiver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Base pay is average, bonuses are good in recent years as the company has done well (bonus payout is directly tied to profits). 401k match is fantastic. Fun company events every few months including a yearly trip. Opportunity to work with new technologies that you may not get to use at a company with smaller budgets. Optiver is not afraid to spend on IT as long as it will improve trading.

Cons

Work/life balance for IT Ops staff has decreased a lot in the past 12 months. Working Saturdays and late into the evening has become quite common as projects are pushed by trading. This has also been the source of some recent resentment between various departments. People have become increasingly stressed and overworked in recent months.

Optiver2019-10-28
  6. "Good at what they do"

Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at Optiver full-time

Pros

Good at what they do

Cons

Culture is not great imo

Optiver2019-09-17

"Great benefits, smart people"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Optiver full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with a lot of smart people. There is very little dead weight, and everyone contributes. I.T. isn't viewed as a cost to be reduced, because I.T. is the lifeblood of the company. Pay and benefits are outstanding.

Cons

With the pay (especially bonuses) being so high, it means management knows you'll put up with a good deal of crap before leaving. Also, the flip side of being a company with lots of smart people is that if you're not above average in your field, your days will be numbered if you happen to slip through their interview process.

Optiver2019-08-19

"They do a lot of things right, but have room to improve"

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Optiver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Optiver many years ago, so take everything with a grain of salt. From a trader perspective, they do a lot right. The people are very talented, the software is cutting edge and fast, and the compensation/benefits are very good. I think they also did a good job creating and keeping a culture where everyone tries to improve, and everyone feels like they're on the same team.

Cons

I feel like the top traders don't necessarily make for the top managers, and they need to continue to train traders throughout their career. Non-traders sometimes were treated like second class citizens, which obviously shouldn't be the case. The culture is very aggressive - there's a ton of pressure to keep improving or you could be out of the company sooner rather than later, which is a lot of stress to have. And the comp structure, while good, was very top heavy.

Optiver2019-07-26

"The best!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Optiver full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very competitive internally and externally. Solid teams.

Cons

Relies strongly on organic growth, doesn't hire many experienced traders.

Optiver2019-04-20

"Strong trading firm"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Optiver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely good compensation, trades a lot of products, well-established, relatively transparent

Cons

Some coworkers can be very difficult to work with and won't be told to change by management. Management in general doesn't really listen to your concerns

Optiver2019-04-17