Optiver Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Optiver Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2017

3.5

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Applied for summer trader internship. Passed phone screen, pattern recognition test, and phone math test. Got flown out to Chicago for a day - tests included a market making activity, probability simulation. Did not end up getting the internship.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver in July 2017.

Interview

phone interview. It was random and I don't believe they were ever considering me as a candidate unless I actually said something wrong. I thought the talk went well. The very next morning they emailed me saying I was not being considered. this was written by a different person I spoke with on the phone. The person I spoke with was convincing me to be interested in the company, even telling me to follow up about my current networking, yet it was all talk. I don't think this position will ever get filled. It was actually rude how they used me to do their jobs.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Process took a few weeks. Applied online and then interviewed at the office in Chicago in Feb 2017. Started with a mental math test online (80 questions in 8 minutes). After that there was a phone call, mostly behavioral, pretty straight forward. Third was a sequence and pattern style recognition test (30 minutes 26 questions if I recall). After those there was a technical phone interview, mostly stats/probability type questions. Final was at their office, full day of stuff, they make you re-take the online tests in person to make sure you don't cheat, and then also a couple behavioral interviews, some shadowing, one or two technical ones, and a lunch that doubles as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What would be the strike price of an option for a 12 on a 12 sided die that goes up by odds. The sides would be 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 and each dot on the die is 1 "point"=$1   2 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Very random, some recruiter talks about Optiver, what to expect and then I have to follow-up after 4-5 days to find out they will not consider me further. I don't understand the point

Senior Windows Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I felt the interview was long, but fair and appropriate. I got to meet people from various groups across Optiver. First I met a lead from application engineering. Then I met two network engineers who asked me to figure out an interesting 'Design Interview' to test your critical thinking. Lunch came afterwards. After that I talked with a few guys from the Windows team then a few guys from the Linux team.

I left the interview feeling good that I answers the questions the best i could and answered them appropriately. Unfortunately I was told later that week they ended up selecting another candidate. That sucks but I wish him or her the best of luck at Optiver!

Interview Questions

• What's an example of an accomplishment you're proud of?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a project you felt you failed in.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

From email contact, we moved to an HR interview via phone. The recruiter talked about the company, and from there we moved on to my experience and how that might fit into their areas of expertise. This phase seemed to go really well, and the recruiter sent me a Hackerrank test.
    Here was where the wheels fell off the wagon. My interviewing skills are a little rusty, and I tried to get a little too clever. While my solutions generated all of the right answers to their test cases, the phrase the recruiter kept repeating was "clean code," and some of mine was not as elegant as it should have been. Not surprisingly in retrospect, I received a very polite email informing me that they were pursuing other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How would you define "clean code"?   1 Answer

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I was asked to complete math problems for a certain period of time. Then asked to finish the sequence (find the next element). I was unfortunately not able to get past the first round, will definitely try again later after much more preparation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (New York, NY).

Interview

Took and passed online math challenge
    Initial phone screen was scheduled for a couple days after - didn't make it past that stage, no reason given; recruiter I was speaking with didn't really seem interested

Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

1) Mental math online test. 80 questions, 8 minutes. Need ~55 to pass. Just be fast. I practiced with tradertest.org and caseinterview.com/math
    2) Behavioral phone interview w/ HR -- 15 mins
    3) Sequences online test. 30 mins, 26 questions. Not sure what the cutoff was. Practiced with tradertest.org
    4) Technical phone interview w/ trader -- 1 hr
    5) On-site. Sequences test followed by a bunch of technical and a behavioral interview back-to-back

Interview Questions

• They give a city & #. You say if you think the actual population is over/under that #. How confident are you? + how much would you put on it   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

First round consisted of mental math test— advice is to study up on mental math before you even apply. The test is sent out via email and timed; having to complete very shortly after application sent out.