Optoro Reviews

Updated May 3, 2021

4.1
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore
Pros
  • "Work is interesting and fast-paced(in 6 reviews)

• "This is a great place to start your career if you are a recent college grad(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains from startup to enterprise firm(in 5 reviews)

• "Hard to advance upper management could use some work(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Even More Motivated After my 1st 6 months!

May 3, 2021 - Senior Vice President of Talent in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Optoro at the end of 2020 and have found the role, company and opportunity to be exceeding my expectations. I have felt welcomed, supported, encouraged and trusted. High growth companies provide limitless opportunity to grow and gain valuable experiences. There is a lot to manage, navigate and deliver. With this said, the ability to make an impact and know that you are really solving a critical problem is beyond energizing!

Cons

I do not have any cons.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mission driven company impacting the world

Apr 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Impactful and relevant mission/purpose Innovative and talented group of people to work with Career development opportunities Emphasis on CSR Amazing PTO and sabbatical leave Mid-size company so my voice is heard and invited to the conversation CEO really cares about the employees

Cons

There can be too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to making decisions and easy decisions can take a while because of the "cooks"

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid at all costs - extremely toxic

Mar 29, 2021 - Product Team in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can learn how to deal with terrible leadership, favoritism and manipulation here better than anywhere else.

Cons

- Horrible leadership - high ego, controlling, absolutely don't care about employee well-being, choose favorites and give them all projects, promotions and rewards. - Company has no roadmap and throws stuff at the wall to see what sticks - My manager took credit for my work and presented it as his own to leadership - it's extremely unclear to me what he even does (I created all slides for him) - A toxic culture where people recognize favoritism and awful leadership and bring that negativity to work - Not that I wanted this from the role but compensation is well below market for a horrible experince

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not much room for growth

Apr 22, 2021 - Procurement Specialist in Norfolk, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are nice and you can build nice relationships.

Cons

Management and no room for growth

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Optoro - the best and worst of working in tech

Jan 8, 2021 - Product
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Nice office and fun-loving people -Nice perks that come with working at a new-age tech company (events, free food, etc) -Decent work/life balance -Nice mission (in theory)

Cons

Depending on the team, a pretty negative culture. Leadership was not transparent and often apathetic to issues, until it was too late (if at all). Unfortunately found the environment a combination of the dysfunction of an extremely new start-up [lack of process & ownership, stepping on toes, professionalism, etc] AND those of an old-school corporate environment [biased, political, pompous attitudes, and wholly exclusive of certain groups]. There was very obvious favoritism of some people, while complete disregard for the work and opinions of others.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall a great place to work

Feb 10, 2021 - Principal Software Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced, challenging, I have a lot of autonomy, I have made an impact on the business. The problem with returns is real and motivating. I genuinely like everyone I work with.

Cons

Some growing pains as we mature past the scrappy startup phase; lack of focus/follow-through; desire for and reliance on quick over robust; product direction and target market need to be tightened up

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great start-up culture

Feb 18, 2021 - Director of Marketing in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

culture, smart people, great mission

Cons

constantly changing their business model, priorities, focus

8. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 21, 2020 - Vice President Sales in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Very smart and collaborative staff and management. Executives are very smart and very determined and they are intent on diversity and inclusion. The software solution is leading edge. They truly care about their employees.

Cons

Some lack of clarity and alignment around the strategy. This can result in some confusion which is unsettling. It's a minor con to overcome but it does have to be corrected. They also tend to avoid the bad news and only promote the good news. Better to be fully transparent and gain buy in for change from all.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Mature startup with growing pains

Feb 20, 2021 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office and people, unlimited PTO, relative autonomy in job depending on role

Cons

Company has had major growing pains for a while, low morale due to strain of scaling company, long hours in certain departments

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great, agile tech company rapidly growing towards market fit

Aug 29, 2020 - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I could not have asked for a better place to grow as a software engineer. During my time at Optoro, I was lucky to be surrounded by talented, collaborative people who were all focused on solving an important, environmentalist problem together: that of eliminating waste from retail returns. With a focus on delivering products to users, I got to learn from skilled software engineers within truly cross-functional teams, cooperating with ops, site reliability peeps, data analysts/scientists, product managers, UX designers, and quality engineers on the regular. The teams I worked in had great documentation (compared to other places I've been) and a culture that embraced psychological safety, transparency, and learning, something that was reflected in timely pull request reviews and the many pairing sessions I participated in. At Optoro, I was never siloed and I got to give input into team and broader company decisions, input that was listened to and taken seriously. While Optoro has solid processes, employees are continuously striving to improve, not just with in-team retros, but intra-team retros where the whole of the tech department comes together, from new college grads to staff/lead level engineers and tech directors, all discussing how we can improve as an organization. Yeah, things were not perfect, but people cared and strove for it. Optoro also cares about diversity and inclusion, and as a minority, the progress I witnessed on that front during my time there meant a lot to me.

Cons

Given the large market that's being targetted by Optoro and the fast rate of growth, sometimes the workload borders on overwhelming. For some teams, priorities can shift rapidly as well. This comes with the nature of the monumental problem that Optoro is attempting to solve and that type of work may not be for everyone. For me, the experience definitely pushed me to grow faster than I would have in a more legacy software company, so the pace of work had an upside to it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 Reviews