Optoro Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Work, Great Colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging pace, bright engaged colleagues, inspiring mission, awesome location and facilities

Cons

Benefits package could be better

Advice to Management

Enhance benefits package to take care of employees and promote retention

2. "Fast growing tech company with a great culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

Rapid growth, fast paced, brilliant people, fantastic culture of trust and empowerment

Cons

Work is often hectic, as fast growing startups can be

3. "Overall"

Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD

I worked at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good with promoting within the company, and shows employees so care

Cons

don't allow the employees to enhance their careers, hold them back due to friendships

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees at times, and stop partying.

Aug 3, 2017 – Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing this information with us. We are always looking for new ways to improve upon company culture, and value your feedback. We hope to use your suggestions as an opportunity to address... More

4. "Good Company - Growth Ahead"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Office
    Awesome People
    Phenomenal DC location
    Lots of tough problems to solve

Cons

Fear of saying something bad vs. not saying anything at all.

Feb 19, 2017 – Talent & Culture Business Partner

Thanks so much for your review! Recruiting top talent is a priority for us, so it’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed working alongside your team members. We’re especially proud to offer more space... More

"A Satisfying and Enjoyable Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in Tech.

I enjoy going in to work every day. Optoro moved into new offices in June 2016, and that's made a pretty dramatic difference in the day-to-day quality of life. The previous offices were massively overcrowded, but the new ones are pleasant. There are lots of common spaces to spread out in; it's great.

My co-workers are smart and engaged. If you're the sort of person who likes learning new stuff, there are tons of opportunities for this: conference budget, regular brown bags and talks, several meet-ups meet at the office, and almost everyone is happy to help.

The mission of the company is both profitable and noble. This is hard to find in a company and helps motivate me to continue working hard and wanting the company to succeed. We're finding value in unused and unwanted goods, which is good for the environment and helps both our clients and ultimate customers.

Most people are nice and easy to get along with, which makes the day-to-day of working here easy and enjoyable. It's work, so you won't always get along perfectly with everyone, but that's true almost anywhere.

Cons

The path to career progression is unclear and there's a fair amount of title-inflation at times. Some departments have multiple "directors", "senior directors", VPs, etc with unclear or non-existent management responsibility. Other departments have more sensible structures, but it's really unclear how one would ever get promoted and what that would even mean if it happened.

That being said, Optoro is in mid to late-stage start-up mode and I'm sure they'll figure it out as they grow further. They're pretty good about recognizing good work these days; it would just be nice if that translated more directly to something more than smiles and gold stars.

Advice to Management

Shoutouts and praise are nice and appreciated, but they're ultimately not why we work here. Find more ways to reward your high-performing employees with clear paths to promotions, raises, and other financial incentives. Otherwise they'll just end up moving on elsewhere in order to advance their careers (and increase their earning potential). It's frustrating to know I'm doing a great job and be told as much, and then have it not translate into anything.

Aug 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for submitting a review that covers some of the key components of our company’s culture! We’re proud to be part of a company that is driven by making real change for our clients, our... More

"Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optoro is such an exciting place to grow and learn. The team is predominantly young, social, and fun -- and always highly intelligent, motivated, and helpful.

I've had access to unique learning opportunities simply by reaching out to my teammates and superiors, and shadowing, etc (e.g. I'm interested in XX skill, can you teach me?). I find it to be rewarding - and also rare - to work with others who are so eager to collaborate, and lend a hand.

No company is perfect, but Optoro is constantly seeking feedback in order to make itself better. The Talent and Culture Team has facilitated a great work environment, both in terms of company culture as well as the new office space.

Cons

The biggest cons at Optoro can be true of many rapidly growing companies.

When you're doing things that haven't been done, you're going to experience some growing pains. Sometimes procedures aren't as efficient as they should be, or hiring is more reactive than proactive.

Sometimes you'll be given a project with high hopes and expectations, and no guidance or security blanket because well -- as I mentioned -- no one has done it before. You may also work crazy hours from time to time.

Sometimes upper management isn't as transparent as I'd like, but that's often because they're probably still trying to figure out the whole "trailblazing" thing.

It's exciting, but it's not for everyone. Also, if you don't like soccer balls and nerfs around your work space, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

My advice is predominantly positive: Keep doing what you're doing, hiring great talent, and letting the talent have the autonomy to reach their potential.

On the flip side, I'd appreciate a little bit of extra transparency. We totally understand that some information is sensitive and cannot be disclosed, and we also get that sometimes you don't have all of the answers. We'd rather have you tell us what you can, and be honest when you don't have an answer than to feel like you're not disclosing information.

Jul 13, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thank you for your comprehensive and insightful review! As you mentioned, the Talent & Culture team has been focused on developing and maintaining a culture in which every employee is willing to... More

"Great culture and motivated staff"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are smart and eager to learn. The talent and culture team has created an incredible company culture which has served as a North Star as we've grown rapidly. There's a good mix of personalities, but everybody likes to work hard and have a good time.

Cons

Like many fast growing companies, we need to continue to strengthen alignment between departments. Sometimes the company is a bit too casual; we could foster professionalism a bit more especially client facing behavior.

Advice to Management

Stay committed- it's inspiring to work hard for such hardworking people.

Jul 13, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback! At Optoro, we have worked hard to create a culture that fosters openness to learning and collaboration by hiring intellectually curious... More

"Breath of Fresh Air"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vertical mobility with this company is amazing. Management gives you opportunities to learn and interact with other departments in the company, and encourage employees professional development so they can rise within the company. As a startup, there is a major emphasis from upper management on feedback and ensuring employees have the tools necessary to do their job, and are always looking for suggestions and areas where they can improve. I genuinely feel that the company and my direct supervisor care about my professional development and want me to thrive within the company. This is a great place to start your career if you are a recent college grad. The office in DC very much has a millennial feel. Fully stocked fridge with drinks and snacks. Very friendly outgoing people, across all departments. Management is down to earth and approachable.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to communicate ideas and newly implemented processes across departments and locations. However, management is always open to feedback from employees on new processes to make the company more efficient, and genuinely take employees questions and concerns into account and look to quickly resolve any arising issues.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee and customer feedback, and being willing to address concerns.

May 4, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

We’re glad you’re having such a positive experience with Optoro! One aspect of our company that we’re proudest of is our strong leadership. Our managers are genuinely invested in the learning and... More

"Warehouse Work"

Former Employee - Shipper in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Shipper in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Optoro (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me job skills for my resume.

Cons

Just about everything you would expect from a warehouse. Long hours go unnoticed promises are made about advancement and then never kept and the complaints about the broken tools and technology were never fixed. Overall one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Remember that people deserve to be treated with dignity and not just as replaceable parts of a bigger machine.

Sep 20, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing this information with us. Unfortunately, your experience as an employee of a third-party contractor was largely outside of our control, but we’ll be sure to share your feedback... More

"Fantastic Enviroment"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optoro is a great place to work. The success of this high growth online retail firm is fuelled by a bunch of extremely talented, friendly, and uber cool people. And -people are always willing to help out!

Cons

Like any growth company, things can get a little chaotic at Optoro, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing as the right amount of chaos can sometimes lead to awesome levels of creativity :)

Advice to Management

The leadership team is great. However sometimes things can get a little reactive which is typically for a growth company. Leadership need to ensure that this does not lead to a negative environment.

Mar 21, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for this great feedback! We place a high importance on fostering a community of friendly, intelligent colleagues who are eager to work together to solve problems. Like you mentioned, this is... More