Optoro Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast growing company, with a focus on having a fun workplace (in 4 reviews)

• Rapid growth, fast paced, brilliant people, fantastic culture of trust and empowerment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be difficult to communicate ideas and newly implemented processes across departments and locations (in 2 reviews)

• Ownership, alignment, and communication across teams and departments (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good people, moving quickly"

Current Employee - Platform Stability in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Platform Stability in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, nice office, convenient location. You're pushed to keep learning and owning responsibilities as new requirements. There are a lot of people here that really know what they're doing and are more than happy to help you do something or learn something.

The goals and mission of the company are important for the long term health of the economy and environment - and we're proud of the changes that we make.

Cons

Ownership, alignment, and communication across teams and departments. Misunderstandings over priorities and goals cause friction across departments.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards the long term vision, ensure day-to-day priority setting stays in line with the long term future of the company. Watch for burn out and single points of failure.

2. "Dream Job in DC, Hands Down!"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At a fast-growing company like Optoro, I have really valued the experience of working collaboratively and across teams. I'm surrounded with smart, creative, brilliant people who I can count on to deliver and make it happen. Optoro has a multifaceted business model and therefore, our team structure splits out into many areas of focus, all interdependent on one another.

From my perspective, the great workplace culture starts with Adam (president) and Toby (CEO), who are very present and communicative in sharing the long-term vision for the company. Then, at a team / personal level, we have a great deal of autonomy in how we execute to hit those milestones. I’ve personally found it really productive and motivating to have this type of team dynamic and management style. It truly breeds success and confidence in the work we do. We’re all in it to win it together, yet at the same time, I enjoy total ownership in my role and contributions.

All in all, I am so thrilled to have found a fulfilling career at Optoro at the forefront of DC's vibrant tech scene. From the beginning, I was drawn to the company’s mission of sustainable recommerce and I continue to be inspired at how we're innovating in the reverse logistics space to eliminate all waste in retail returns. Since I joined, we formed a strategic partnership with UPS which has positioned Optoro as the industry leader and opened many new opportunities for the future.

Last but not least, I would be remiss if I didn't mention some of the many benefits and perks at our office. It's genuinely the best place to work! We have frequent social events and team celebrations; individual professional growth stipends; monthly employee recognition; cold brew coffee, draft beer, sparkling water on tap; a beautiful, open workspace with standing desks; amazing rooftop garden with WIFI; awesome snacks; free gym membership in our building; commuter benefits; great healthcare; and the list goes on!

Cons

I have only positives! It's a fast-paced environment where prioritization is key to success. While we've crossed over from a "true start-up" to a maturing business, the "start-up mentality" is very much alive and well! We continue to push the boundaries of our industry and will not rest on our laurels. I personally love the new challenges each day brings, the opportunity to keep learning in my career, and the exciting growth potential of being part of a disruptive tech team.

3. "Collaborative, Exciting, Fun, Environment with Growth Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely collaborative environment. There are plenty of opportunities to make a positive impact. The team here consists of super smart people who are interested in sharing what they know and learning what they don't know. It is a very exciting, fast paced business on the leading edge of the reverse logistics industry. Leadership is considerate of work/life balance and there are lots of wonderful perks including beautiful office space and location, organized social and volunteer events, and monthly and annual awards for CRUSHING IT!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any...........

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing..........

4. "Great Work, Great Colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging pace, bright engaged colleagues, inspiring mission, awesome location and facilities

Cons

Benefits package could be better

Advice to Management

Enhance benefits package to take care of employees and promote retention

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you for leaving us your review! As a company focused on attracting and retaining the top talent, we value your feedback on our benefits packages. Optoro strives to provide the best benefits it... More

5. "Fast growing tech company with a great culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

Cons

Work is often hectic, as fast growing startups can be

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you so much for your review! Optoro values its commitment to creating an engaging, positive environment, and we appreciate knowing our employees value our culture! It is important to us that... More

6. "Overall"

Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD

I worked at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good with promoting within the company, and shows employees so care

Cons

don't allow the employees to enhance their careers, hold them back due to friendships

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees at times, and stop partying.

Aug 3, 2017 – Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing this information with us. We are always looking for new ways to improve upon company culture, and value your feedback. We hope to use your suggestions as an opportunity to address... More

7. "Good Company - Growth Ahead"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Office
    Awesome People
    Phenomenal DC location
    Lots of tough problems to solve

Cons

Fear of saying something bad vs. not saying anything at all.

Feb 19, 2017 – Talent & Culture Business Partner

Thanks so much for your review! Recruiting top talent is a priority for us, so it’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed working alongside your team members. We’re especially proud to offer more space... More

"A Satisfying and Enjoyable Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in Tech.

I enjoy going in to work every day. Optoro moved into new offices in June 2016, and that's made a pretty dramatic difference in the day-to-day quality of life. The previous offices were massively overcrowded, but the new ones are pleasant. There are lots of common spaces to spread out in; it's great.

My co-workers are smart and engaged. If you're the sort of person who likes learning new stuff, there are tons of opportunities for this: conference budget, regular brown bags and talks, several meet-ups meet at the office, and almost everyone is happy to help.

The mission of the company is both profitable and noble. This is hard to find in a company and helps motivate me to continue working hard and wanting the company to succeed. We're finding value in unused and unwanted goods, which is good for the environment and helps both our clients and ultimate customers.

Most people are nice and easy to get along with, which makes the day-to-day of working here easy and enjoyable. It's work, so you won't always get along perfectly with everyone, but that's true almost anywhere.

Cons

The path to career progression is unclear and there's a fair amount of title-inflation at times. Some departments have multiple "directors", "senior directors", VPs, etc with unclear or non-existent management responsibility. Other departments have more sensible structures, but it's really unclear how one would ever get promoted and what that would even mean if it happened.

That being said, Optoro is in mid to late-stage start-up mode and I'm sure they'll figure it out as they grow further. They're pretty good about recognizing good work these days; it would just be nice if that translated more directly to something more than smiles and gold stars.

Advice to Management

Shoutouts and praise are nice and appreciated, but they're ultimately not why we work here. Find more ways to reward your high-performing employees with clear paths to promotions, raises, and other financial incentives. Otherwise they'll just end up moving on elsewhere in order to advance their careers (and increase their earning potential). It's frustrating to know I'm doing a great job and be told as much, and then have it not translate into anything.

Aug 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for submitting a review that covers some of the key components of our company’s culture! We’re proud to be part of a company that is driven by making real change for our clients, our... More

"Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optoro is such an exciting place to grow and learn. The team is predominantly young, social, and fun -- and always highly intelligent, motivated, and helpful.

I've had access to unique learning opportunities simply by reaching out to my teammates and superiors, and shadowing, etc (e.g. I'm interested in XX skill, can you teach me?). I find it to be rewarding - and also rare - to work with others who are so eager to collaborate, and lend a hand.

No company is perfect, but Optoro is constantly seeking feedback in order to make itself better. The Talent and Culture Team has facilitated a great work environment, both in terms of company culture as well as the new office space.

Cons

The biggest cons at Optoro can be true of many rapidly growing companies.

When you're doing things that haven't been done, you're going to experience some growing pains. Sometimes procedures aren't as efficient as they should be, or hiring is more reactive than proactive.

Sometimes you'll be given a project with high hopes and expectations, and no guidance or security blanket because well -- as I mentioned -- no one has done it before. You may also work crazy hours from time to time.

Sometimes upper management isn't as transparent as I'd like, but that's often because they're probably still trying to figure out the whole "trailblazing" thing.

It's exciting, but it's not for everyone. Also, if you don't like soccer balls and nerfs around your work space, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

My advice is predominantly positive: Keep doing what you're doing, hiring great talent, and letting the talent have the autonomy to reach their potential.

On the flip side, I'd appreciate a little bit of extra transparency. We totally understand that some information is sensitive and cannot be disclosed, and we also get that sometimes you don't have all of the answers. We'd rather have you tell us what you can, and be honest when you don't have an answer than to feel like you're not disclosing information.

Jul 13, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thank you for your comprehensive and insightful review! As you mentioned, the Talent & Culture team has been focused on developing and maintaining a culture in which every employee is willing to... More

"Great culture and motivated staff"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are smart and eager to learn. The talent and culture team has created an incredible company culture which has served as a North Star as we've grown rapidly. There's a good mix of personalities, but everybody likes to work hard and have a good time.

Cons

Like many fast growing companies, we need to continue to strengthen alignment between departments. Sometimes the company is a bit too casual; we could foster professionalism a bit more especially client facing behavior.

Advice to Management

Stay committed- it's inspiring to work hard for such hardworking people.

Jul 13, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback! At Optoro, we have worked hard to create a culture that fosters openness to learning and collaboration by hiring intellectually curious... More