Optoro Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Satisfying and Enjoyable Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in Tech.

I enjoy going in to work every day. Optoro moved into new offices in June 2016, and that's made a pretty dramatic difference in the day-to-day quality of life. The previous offices were massively overcrowded, but the new ones are pleasant. There are lots of common spaces to spread out in; it's great.

My co-workers are smart and engaged. If you're the sort of person who likes learning new stuff, there are tons of opportunities for this: conference budget, regular brown bags and talks, several meet-ups meet at the office, and almost everyone is happy to help.

The mission of the company is both profitable and noble. This is hard to find in a company and helps motivate me to continue working hard and wanting the company to succeed. We're finding value in unused and unwanted goods, which is good for the environment and helps both our clients and ultimate customers.

Most people are nice and easy to get along with, which makes the day-to-day of working here easy and enjoyable. It's work, so you won't always get along perfectly with everyone, but that's true almost anywhere.

Cons

The path to career progression is unclear and there's a fair amount of title-inflation at times. Some departments have multiple "directors", "senior directors", VPs, etc with unclear or non-existent management responsibility. Other departments have more sensible structures, but it's really unclear how one would ever get promoted and what that would even mean if it happened.

That being said, Optoro is in mid to late-stage start-up mode and I'm sure they'll figure it out as they grow further. They're pretty good about recognizing good work these days; it would just be nice if that translated more directly to something more than smiles and gold stars.

Advice to Management

Shoutouts and praise are nice and appreciated, but they're ultimately not why we work here. Find more ways to reward your high-performing employees with clear paths to promotions, raises, and other financial incentives. Otherwise they'll just end up moving on elsewhere in order to advance their careers (and increase their earning potential). It's frustrating to know I'm doing a great job and be told as much, and then have it not translate into anything.

Aug 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for submitting a review that covers some of the key components of our company’s culture! We’re proud to be part of a company that is driven by making real change for our clients, our... More

2. "Overall"

Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD

I worked at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good with promoting within the company, and shows employees so care

Cons

don't allow the employees to enhance their careers, hold them back due to friendships

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees at times, and stop partying.

3. "Good Company - Growth Ahead"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Office
    Awesome People
    Phenomenal DC location
    Lots of tough problems to solve

Cons

Fear of saying something bad vs. not saying anything at all.

Feb 19, 2017 – Talent & Culture Business Partner

Thanks so much for your review! Recruiting top talent is a priority for us, so it’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed working alongside your team members. We’re especially proud to offer more space... More

"Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optoro is such an exciting place to grow and learn. The team is predominantly young, social, and fun -- and always highly intelligent, motivated, and helpful.

I've had access to unique learning opportunities simply by reaching out to my teammates and superiors, and shadowing, etc (e.g. I'm interested in XX skill, can you teach me?). I find it to be rewarding - and also rare - to work with others who are so eager to collaborate, and lend a hand.

No company is perfect, but Optoro is constantly seeking feedback in order to make itself better. The Talent and Culture Team has facilitated a great work environment, both in terms of company culture as well as the new office space.

Cons

The biggest cons at Optoro can be true of many rapidly growing companies.

When you're doing things that haven't been done, you're going to experience some growing pains. Sometimes procedures aren't as efficient as they should be, or hiring is more reactive than proactive.

Sometimes you'll be given a project with high hopes and expectations, and no guidance or security blanket because well -- as I mentioned -- no one has done it before. You may also work crazy hours from time to time.

Sometimes upper management isn't as transparent as I'd like, but that's often because they're probably still trying to figure out the whole "trailblazing" thing.

It's exciting, but it's not for everyone. Also, if you don't like soccer balls and nerfs around your work space, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

My advice is predominantly positive: Keep doing what you're doing, hiring great talent, and letting the talent have the autonomy to reach their potential.

On the flip side, I'd appreciate a little bit of extra transparency. We totally understand that some information is sensitive and cannot be disclosed, and we also get that sometimes you don't have all of the answers. We'd rather have you tell us what you can, and be honest when you don't have an answer than to feel like you're not disclosing information.

Jul 13, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thank you for your comprehensive and insightful review! As you mentioned, the Talent & Culture team has been focused on developing and maintaining a culture in which every employee is willing to... More

"Warehouse Work"

Former Employee - Shipper in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Shipper in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Optoro (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me job skills for my resume.

Cons

Just about everything you would expect from a warehouse. Long hours go unnoticed promises are made about advancement and then never kept and the complaints about the broken tools and technology were never fixed. Overall one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Remember that people deserve to be treated with dignity and not just as replaceable parts of a bigger machine.

Sep 20, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing this information with us. Unfortunately, your experience as an employee of a third-party contractor was largely outside of our control, but we’ll be sure to share your feedback... More

"Fantastic Enviroment"

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optoro is a great place to work. The success of this high growth online retail firm is fuelled by a bunch of extremely talented, friendly, and uber cool people. And -people are always willing to help out!

Cons

Like any growth company, things can get a little chaotic at Optoro, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing as the right amount of chaos can sometimes lead to awesome levels of creativity :)

Advice to Management

The leadership team is great. However sometimes things can get a little reactive which is typically for a growth company. Leadership need to ensure that this does not lead to a negative environment.

Mar 21, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for this great feedback! We place a high importance on fostering a community of friendly, intelligent colleagues who are eager to work together to solve problems. Like you mentioned, this is... More

"Exciting company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Optoro (More than a year)

Pros

This company is fun and exciting to work for! There is a bright future here and those currently working have the opportunity to move up in their career path since they like to hire internally.

Cons

Some of the communication can be watered down and not fully given to everyone.

Advice to Management

Open up to everyone about the future and changes. People are accepting of change as long as the vision is defined.

Mar 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thank you for submitting this useful feedback! As you highlighted, here at Optoro, we value our employees’ professional development and strive to give them opportunities to further their careers. One... More

"A great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Washington, DC

Pros

Optoro is a young company full of successful, excited young people with great ideas for the future. We're idealistic and unconventional and frankly, sometimes we're making it up as we go - but that feels good! We have ownership of our own projects and work and enjoy being here together each day. This team is a work family that I look forward to seeing in the morning.

Cons

The office space in Lanham needs an update - but it is workable until then. The team here makes it fun.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating such a wonderful environment - remember to support your team members across all locations.

Mar 2, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

We’re thrilled to read your comments about Optoro’s unconventional and collaborative team! Our Senior Management strives to constantly strengthen company culture, and ensure that each team member is... More

"Exciting company, people, and potential for growth"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

- Optoro is a fast growing and exciting company based in DC and MD. The company has a strong and sustainable business model and a lot of opportunity for continued growth.
    - Lots of smart and talented coworkers from diverse backgrounds.
    - Technology that is solving a real problem.
    - Strong focus on company culture and values.
    - Standard startup perks -- free food, transportation stipend, unlimited PTO, casual work environment, etc.
    - Open and transparent culture. The cofounders are very open and honest with the entire company about goals, milestones, success and failures.

Cons

- The company has expanded a lot over the past few years, so there are a few growing pains. Management is aware and focused on this issue, but sometimes there are hiccups with internal processes and ownership.
    - Work life balance can vary amongst teams.

Advice to Management

- Keep promoting from within the company and offering opportunities for growth. Employees are smart and eager to take on more responsibilities.
    - Stay open and transparent, it's one of the best things about the company!

Feb 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Fantastic feedback – thank you! Your review touches on some of the most important values here at Optoro, transparency and collaboration amongst all of our talented coworkers. We’re so excited to hear... More

"higher ups"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

Great family environment off weekends

Cons

Hard to advance upper management could use some work

Feb 16, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a less than positive experience at work. We care about each of our team members and want to ensure that Optoro is a... More