Optoro Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fast growing company, with a focus on having a fun workplace" (in 4 reviews)

• "Work is interesting and fast-paced" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Ownership, alignment, and communication across teams and departments" (in 3 reviews)

• "I think the (small) problems are typical of any fast growing start-up, like figuring out ways to share information, collaborate across teams, and so on" (in 3 reviews)

"Good vibes and good values"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

- Office culture is great. Work/life balance is (genuinely) prioritized; work from home policy is generous, you don't feel guilty for taking time out to take care of, say, a dentist's appointment or a kid's school event.
    - Work is interesting and fast-paced. Optoro sells itself as a "green" for-profit company - working on both a business and environmental solution. I would normally be skeptical about this, but I really do think the business's value prop is exciting and real: the reverse supply chain is no joke!
    - Big encouragement for professional development/learning, as well as diversity and inclusion efforts.
    - You can see your work contributing to the growing business - and that's exciting!
    - Everyone's relaxed, friendly, and helpful. I've worked in some environments that were a lot more stressed/toxic, and it can feel a bit dog eat dog: people are stressed and unhappy in those places. That's not the case here. I genuinely enjoy going into the office, and people seem to feel the same way?

Cons

- It's a high growth phase, which means some teams are working longer hours (though they get thanked and recognized for it - again, I've worked in places where working evenings or weekends was expected, not praised as exceptional).
    - The high growth can sometimes mean that we suddenly change focus; so sometimes things feel chaotic.

"Great place for recent college grads"

Current Employee - Rotational Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Rotational Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with smart, interesting, and fun people every day. I have the opportunity to tackle both business and environmental problems. Tons of other perks like beautiful office, cold brew, rooftop, etc... The flexible WFH/PTO policy is also quite generous. I feel so lucky to be working here while we are in this growth period!

Cons

I think the (small) problems are typical of any fast growing start-up, like figuring out ways to share information, collaborate across teams, and so on. Definitely making steps in the right direction though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - we appreciate it :)

"Good people, moving quickly"

Current Employee - Platform Stability in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Platform Stability in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, nice office, convenient location. You're pushed to keep learning and owning responsibilities as new requirements. There are a lot of people here that really know what they're doing and are more than happy to help you do something or learn something.

The goals and mission of the company are important for the long term health of the economy and environment - and we're proud of the changes that we make.

Cons

Ownership, alignment, and communication across teams and departments. Misunderstandings over priorities and goals cause friction across departments.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards the long term vision, ensure day-to-day priority setting stays in line with the long term future of the company. Watch for burn out and single points of failure.

"Dream Job in DC, Hands Down!"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At a fast-growing company like Optoro, I have really valued the experience of working collaboratively and across teams. I'm surrounded with smart, creative, brilliant people who I can count on to deliver and make it happen. Optoro has a multifaceted business model and therefore, our team structure splits out into many areas of focus, all interdependent on one another.

From my perspective, the great workplace culture starts with Adam (president) and Toby (CEO), who are very present and communicative in sharing the long-term vision for the company. Then, at a team / personal level, we have a great deal of autonomy in how we execute to hit those milestones. I’ve personally found it really productive and motivating to have this type of team dynamic and management style. It truly breeds success and confidence in the work we do. We’re all in it to win it together, yet at the same time, I enjoy total ownership in my role and contributions.

All in all, I am so thrilled to have found a fulfilling career at Optoro at the forefront of DC's vibrant tech scene. From the beginning, I was drawn to the company’s mission of sustainable recommerce and I continue to be inspired at how we're innovating in the reverse logistics space to eliminate all waste in retail returns. Since I joined, we formed a strategic partnership with UPS which has positioned Optoro as the industry leader and opened many new opportunities for the future.

Last but not least, I would be remiss if I didn't mention some of the many benefits and perks at our office. It's genuinely the best place to work! We have frequent social events and team celebrations; individual professional growth stipends; monthly employee recognition; cold brew coffee, draft beer, sparkling water on tap; a beautiful, open workspace with standing desks; amazing rooftop garden with WIFI; awesome snacks; free gym membership in our building; commuter benefits; great healthcare; and the list goes on!

Cons

I have only positives! It's a fast-paced environment where prioritization is key to success. While we've crossed over from a "true start-up" to a maturing business, the "start-up mentality" is very much alive and well! We continue to push the boundaries of our industry and will not rest on our laurels. I personally love the new challenges each day brings, the opportunity to keep learning in my career, and the exciting growth potential of being part of a disruptive tech team.

"Collaborative, Exciting, Fun, Environment with Growth Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely collaborative environment. There are plenty of opportunities to make a positive impact. The team here consists of super smart people who are interested in sharing what they know and learning what they don't know. It is a very exciting, fast paced business on the leading edge of the reverse logistics industry. Leadership is considerate of work/life balance and there are lots of wonderful perks including beautiful office space and location, organized social and volunteer events, and monthly and annual awards for CRUSHING IT!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any...........

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing..........

"Great Work, Great Colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging pace, bright engaged colleagues, inspiring mission, awesome location and facilities

Cons

Benefits package could be better

Advice to Management

Enhance benefits package to take care of employees and promote retention

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you for leaving us your review! As a company focused on attracting and retaining the top talent, we value your feedback on our benefits packages. Optoro strives to provide the best benefits it... More

"Fast growing tech company with a great culture"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

Rapid growth, fast paced, brilliant people, fantastic culture of trust and empowerment

Cons

Work is often hectic, as fast growing startups can be

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you so much for your review! Optoro values its commitment to creating an engaging, positive environment, and we appreciate knowing our employees value our culture! It is important to us that... More

8. "Overall"

Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Checker in Lanham, MD

I worked at Optoro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good with promoting within the company, and shows employees so care

Cons

don't allow the employees to enhance their careers, hold them back due to friendships

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees at times, and stop partying.

Aug 3, 2017 – Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing this information with us. We are always looking for new ways to improve upon company culture, and value your feedback. We hope to use your suggestions as an opportunity to address... More

9. "Good Company - Growth Ahead"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Office
    Awesome People
    Phenomenal DC location
    Lots of tough problems to solve

Cons

Fear of saying something bad vs. not saying anything at all.

Feb 19, 2017 – Talent & Culture Business Partner

Thanks so much for your review! Recruiting top talent is a priority for us, so it’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed working alongside your team members. We’re especially proud to offer more space... More

"A Satisfying and Enjoyable Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tech in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in Tech.

I enjoy going in to work every day. Optoro moved into new offices in June 2016, and that's made a pretty dramatic difference in the day-to-day quality of life. The previous offices were massively overcrowded, but the new ones are pleasant. There are lots of common spaces to spread out in; it's great.

My co-workers are smart and engaged. If you're the sort of person who likes learning new stuff, there are tons of opportunities for this: conference budget, regular brown bags and talks, several meet-ups meet at the office, and almost everyone is happy to help.

The mission of the company is both profitable and noble. This is hard to find in a company and helps motivate me to continue working hard and wanting the company to succeed. We're finding value in unused and unwanted goods, which is good for the environment and helps both our clients and ultimate customers.

Most people are nice and easy to get along with, which makes the day-to-day of working here easy and enjoyable. It's work, so you won't always get along perfectly with everyone, but that's true almost anywhere.

Cons

The path to career progression is unclear and there's a fair amount of title-inflation at times. Some departments have multiple "directors", "senior directors", VPs, etc with unclear or non-existent management responsibility. Other departments have more sensible structures, but it's really unclear how one would ever get promoted and what that would even mean if it happened.

That being said, Optoro is in mid to late-stage start-up mode and I'm sure they'll figure it out as they grow further. They're pretty good about recognizing good work these days; it would just be nice if that translated more directly to something more than smiles and gold stars.

Advice to Management

Shoutouts and praise are nice and appreciated, but they're ultimately not why we work here. Find more ways to reward your high-performing employees with clear paths to promotions, raises, and other financial incentives. Otherwise they'll just end up moving on elsewhere in order to advance their careers (and increase their earning potential). It's frustrating to know I'm doing a great job and be told as much, and then have it not translate into anything.

Aug 10, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for submitting a review that covers some of the key components of our company’s culture! We’re proud to be part of a company that is driven by making real change for our clients, our... More