Optoro Reviews

Updated Jan 25, 2020

4.2
Optoro Co-founder & CEO Tobin Moore
Tobin Moore
Pros
  • "Work is interesting and fast-paced(in 6 reviews)

• "This is a great place to start your career if you are a recent college grad(in 5 reviews)

Cons

"Growth-stage company with big opportunity"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really talented collection of people. Lot's of cross-functional collaboration. Optoro is solving a major problem in a growing market. People have the ability to drive change and impact the company. Office is excellent and right in the middle of DC. Lot's of fun company events throughout the year. Well-respected in the broader DC tech community.

Cons

Company still reverts back to a start-up mentality at times. Communication across the organization can be improved. Strategic initiatives can shift quickly, even before the results of the previous approach are known.

Optoro2019-09-03
  2. "Flexibility but disorganized as a company"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Optoro full-time

Pros

Startup environment although pretty big company people wise, unlimited PTO, and decent annual development training allowance

Cons

Experiencing growing pains currently and can be hard to get tasks completed because most decision-makers are at max bandwidth

Optoro2020-01-13

"Great environment, terrible organization, worse product"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are amazing at times. The culture is pretty set in stone and it can be hard for a new person to come in, especially if they have different opinions and views. Overall, I got along with most people. The office is AMAZING! One of the nicest offices I have ever worked in. They have awesome events frequently. If you are looking for a great opportunity to learn and improve your dev skills, this is actually a great place.

Cons

The #1 reason I left this company is due to the direction this company is headed. From the outside looking in, it looks great, they are winning big clients back-to-back-to-back and crushing their growth goals. Yes, this may be happening, but not because of their revolutionary product. During my time there, I spent more time in meetings talking about how we were going to "hack/repurpose" a module, rather than actually executing. This then led to us having to "manage the customers expectations" as I heard daily. This is mainly due to the fact that sales just says yes to everything the customer asks during the sales cycle. "Oh can we return something to you, you then sell it for Bitcoin, then convert that into martian space rocks?" Exageration, yes. But seriously, I would 100% believe it if there was a study done that the sales team didnt know what the word NO is. This would put an immense amount of strain on the engineering team and the implementation team. We frequently had to jump through hoops, meet unrealistic deadlines, and develop one-off requests, just so we could get the deal signed. So like I said, the product is what is the main problem. Optoro just signed their biggest client yet, but I have very little confidence that they will successfully (on time, on budget, within scope) implement them. I left shortly after the scoping phase and the requirements needed (that were supposed to be gathered and negotiated with sales) were eons away from what the software could do. So, back to seeing how they can "manage customer expectations" and "hack" the system. This is the norm and if you have a new idea or want to explore a new direction, good luck. Unless you are a tenured, principle engineer, you have no say. The principle engineers pretty much-run engineering and product management. If they don't like your idea, then you might as well not even raise your hand. This happened to me dozens of times during my time there.

Optoro2019-08-15
  4. "great place"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

well paying job with smart people

Cons

very bro culture and tech heavy

Optoro2019-07-22

"Okay at best"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager

I worked at Optoro full-time

Pros

Great people, most everyone wants to collaborate and win for the company, cool vibe, great tools depending on your team.

Cons

Under resourced HR team that are capable of improving the employee experience but don’t have bandwidth, CONTROLLING executives

Optoro2019-06-12

"True start up, real purpose & values"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great place to work, great people, great culture - Love my team, best team ever! - True vision-led company that actually lives and breathes its purpose - Learn from great leaders and managers, amazing talent and fast moving company - Lots of growth / learning / skills development opportunities to accelerate your career growth - Open leadership culture, changing and experimenting all the time with new ways to innovate, develop the organization - Great activities, competitive benefits / package

Cons

- Moving really fast, start up life is not for everyone. more - Co-founder and leadership challenges are improving but still needs some work

Optoro2019-04-06

"Great company with lots of future potential"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

The people and culture are great. Work is rewarded and recognized fairly and all employees have a work hard-play hard mentality. It is energizing being a part of Optoro and I see nothing but positive growth for the company.

Cons

Growing pains from startup to enterprise firm. Lack of important HR/operational processes in place. Sometimes confusion in direction of product and company vision. Lack of internal mobility and promotion structures.

Optoro2019-04-03

"Great place to work"

I worked at Optoro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of opportunities to work on everything from ecommerce to enterprise apps

Cons

As grows larger gets more bureaucratic, decisions take a long time.

Optoro2019-03-12

"Good vibes and good values"

I have been working at Optoro full-time

Pros

- Office culture is great. Work/life balance is (genuinely) prioritized; work from home policy is generous, you don't feel guilty for taking time out to take care of, say, a dentist's appointment or a kid's school event. - Work is interesting and fast-paced. Optoro sells itself as a "green" for-profit company - working on both a business and environmental solution. I would normally be skeptical about this, but I really do think the business's value prop is exciting and real: the reverse supply chain is no joke! - Big encouragement for professional development/learning, as well as diversity and inclusion efforts. - You can see your work contributing to the growing business - and that's exciting! - Everyone's relaxed, friendly, and helpful. I've worked in some environments that were a lot more stressed/toxic, and it can feel a bit dog eat dog: people are stressed and unhappy in those places. That's not the case here. I genuinely enjoy going into the office, and people seem to feel the same way?

Cons

- It's a high growth phase, which means some teams are working longer hours (though they get thanked and recognized for it - again, I've worked in places where working evenings or weekends was expected, not praised as exceptional). - The high growth can sometimes mean that we suddenly change focus; so sometimes things feel chaotic.

Optoro2018-10-27

"Great place for recent college grads"

Current Employee - Rotational Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with smart, interesting, and fun people every day. I have the opportunity to tackle both business and environmental problems. Tons of other perks like beautiful office, cold brew, rooftop, etc... The flexible WFH/PTO policy is also quite generous. I feel so lucky to be working here while we are in this growth period!

Cons

I think the (small) problems are typical of any fast growing start-up, like figuring out ways to share information, collaborate across teams, and so on. Definitely making steps in the right direction though.

Optoro2018-04-27