OwnLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Lloyd W. Armbrust

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Still the best job I've ever had"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've learned and experienced so much during my time at OwnLocal that has set me up for a great career.

My co-workers are hard-working, supremely helpful and understanding. We have a very open no-dumb-questions culture of learning and improvement that I'm glad I've been able to help grow.

I have had a lot of opportunities to significantly improve our product and customers, and I'm very excited about our future roadmap.

Cons

Focusing on new unproven platforms at the expense of the existing product was a pretty serious misstep, thankfully this has been corrected.

We're a bit of a rowdy bunch on occasion, can get somewhat noisy. Nothing a good pair of Bose headphones can't cure.

Advice to Management

Having a significant portion of your company laid off on short notice is a bit of a downer. I understand the need business-wise but most companies I know announce layoffs before taking effect to give people time to prepare.

I'm more excited about our future than (frankly) I've been in a while. We're on a great and still improving trajectory, keep it up!

"Meh . . . Pretty Standard Austin Start-Up"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Great hiring practices, really get some quality people into the company. Nice benefits. Working downtown is always fun. Good idea behind the product. You can take on a lot of work on if you are trying to gain experience and build up your resume.

Cons

Pretty standard Austin start-up run by patriarchal leadership with inflated egos and delusions of grandeur. It's sort of baffling that so many high-level employees can be brought on but have to be let go or leave due to leadership problems. The Sales team will always suffer due to lack of quality leadership in the department, selling tech is not the same thing as selling wigs. I think until that is dealt with the company will continue to flounder or be sold at some point to cover losses for investors (Again the same problem with most Tech Start-ups). The benefits are nice but things like free lunch are pretty much considered part of your salary, I mean prisons get 3 meals a day so everything is relative.

Advice to Management

Just get it together and stop treating employees like tools and actually try to build a culture and product that people can be proud of. I understand we have a society built on money and making money but if that's all your company is about you should just be honest about it from the get go.

"It's a startup...."

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great people
    - niche product that's a differentiator in the market
    - perks and benefits are good (food, insurance, etc.)
    - if you display ownership you will be well respected

Cons

- bad communication from leadership
    - lack of direction as a company

This isn't just a con of OwnLocal, but of all startups.....there is dysfunction. The company seems to change direction frequently. There aren't a lot of processes in place. Typical startup stuff.

Advice to Management

It's easy to talk about the good stuff but you need to communicate better when things aren't going so well. We are all adults. We can handle bad news or the fact that we missed a goal here and there. Talking about this kind of stuff only makes us better.

"not sure what happened"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, career growth if you're in the know

Cons

Most of this is basically just since early-mid 2017.
    So many pivots
    Transparency issues
    ill-planned growth leading to layoffs
    What's going on with the engineering team? Why are they dropping like flies?
    Occasional bad planning - last year the entire company had to do 8+ hours of data entry for a few days during a new product release
    and other things

Advice to Management

Get it together. We used to be great. What happened?

"Ebbs and flows but OwnLocal is heading toward high tide again"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re motivated and capable, it’s possible to significantly level up at OwnLocal. I started with the company in an entry-level position and now serve in a role that directly impacts company strategy.

Amazing co-workers that will challenge and support you. You are never the smartest person in the room.

After years of focusing on uninspired (though lucrative) products, the company is finally using its talent to innovate. New products are exciting to work on.

Compensation and benefits are competitive within the market. This wasn’t always the case but leadership took action to rectify this over the past year.

OwnLocal gets four stars for now, but its been five stars before and will be again if current trends hold true.

Cons

Company culture has struggled after a difficult year. Though efforts are underway to rebuild, this is an organic process and takes time.

Structured training, feedback, and ongoing education won’t be offered. You have to ask for these things when you need them.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to the core operations of the company.

Recognize that a diversity of personalities and opinions strengthens the company.

"Good company, great people. Stay the course."

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really care about employee satisfaction and engagement.
    Doing interesting work with big potential.
    Hard working, high caliber teammates.

Cons

Not for everyone, must be high performing, self directed, and flexible to succeed in the startup environment.

Advice to Management

Company has been on a good path, with stronger products and improved culture. Stay the course.

"We've come a long way. We have a long way to go."

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a growing company, entering its adolescence. Metaphorical hormones are raging, but it's awesome to watch what we're becoming. The employees here are some of the smartest people you will ever work with. Even on days when I'm dreading the tasks on my plate, I'm excited to go into the office.

Cons

The culture has been floundering for about a year. While we're actively working to get everyone back on track, it's going to be a while until we fully recover.

Advice to Management

You need to take better care of your people's mental wellbeing. We love this company too, so we're willing to burn ourselves out for it. You shouldn't be letting us.

"What I Always Wanted"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and environment of OwnLocal is what I have always been searching for in my career.
    This truly is a place where once you are hired, you are trusted to perform your job well, and to do your best work! Because of this, there's little to no micromanaging. There's just not a need for it. Everyone who works here has a strong work-ethic, and while collaboration is not always perfect anywhere, the employees at OwnLocal really do listen to, and respect one another.
    I have never worked with such funny, quirky, and outright pleasant people before in my life (and this includes management)!
    Plus, the company benefits make being at work that much easier. There's 100% paid medical insurance, free Starbucks every day, free lunch every day, a fully-stocked kitchen with tons of snacks, drinks, beer and wine, and bus transportation reimbursement.
    The company parties and outings are always amazing, and the employees actually like hanging out with one another outside of work.
    I would definitely recommend working here!

Cons

I can't complain about getting free lunch every day, but for what it's worth, I do miss having our old caterers here everyday. They were awesome!!

Advice to Management

When the company does so much for the employees, it's difficult to suggest anything more, but it would be really nice if we could have paid-parking or parking reimbursement downtown, as taking the bus adds a significant amount of commute time onto the day. I would be willing to give something up if we could add this perk. If I had the choice between Starbucks for instance, or paid parking, I would choose parking. We already have great coffee in the office :)

"Poor engineering morale"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

- You're surrounded by smart people.
    - Benefits are great (100% paid healthcare, free lunch, free Starbucks), but don't mistake perks as culture.

Cons

- In 2017 the leadership made many decisions that have felt unfair to engineering and engineers have been punished for decisions that were made by people who are no longer here.
    - Because of all the pivoting, it's hard to feel accomplished by your work.
    - Career growth is reserved for people who are friends with the CEO.
    - Six engineers have left the company in the past three months. To put that in perspective, they started 2017 with 20 engineers, went down to 10 in July after layoffs, and haven't hired any engineers since. They're simply unable to maintain the volume and speed of work that product management and leadership request.

Advice to Management

To Lloyd: learn from more experienced leaders. Respect your employees. Stop looking female employees up and down.

"Getting Better But Still Needs Work"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

- Non-exec team colleagues are exceptional and great to work with
    - Work being done to rebuild the culture and to restore faith in the executive team
    - Lots of work to be done if you're a go-getter
    - Freedom to try new things
    - Some opportunity for career growth

Cons

- Product puts all chips in one basket then quickly pivots
    - Poorly executed 2017 layoffs threatened remaining employee trust and the company's hiring allure
    - Layoffs left some departments in disarray with confusing plans about how to recover

Advice to Management

Lead with respect and without aggression. Humility goes a long way.