OwnLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2019

3.5
Lloyd W. Armbrust

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits and very flexible work schedule" (in 7 reviews)

• "100% health coverage, open vacation policy, no time clocks or work hours, free starbucks and lunch, great company retreats" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "While we're actively working to get everyone back on track, it's going to be a while until we fully recover" (in 2 reviews)

• "On top of recent massive layoffs, they are hemorrhaging the few remaining clients and employees every day" (in 2 reviews)

"Great company for tenured employees"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Great people. Generous severance. I didn't leave a review when I first left the company because I was sad, but I understood why it was necessary. We were overstaffed and needed to scale back. With our departure, we were given a generous severance, a long timeline to transition, and introductions to new employment. I've never seen a company do this before. Now I've been working for close to 15 years so I've seen my share. Most of the bad reviews are from the kids they should of never hired in the first place. First job, entitled, wanted to be paid while watching Netflix. I wish I was joking, but it was common to see on the screens. It actually really bothered a lot of people who cared about the company. But one benefit, they trust you to do you job. Its sad to be coupled in with that bunch, but if it was my company, I would have done the same.

OwnLocal is an actual real cash-flow positive business who's not bloated by VC money. They care about the bottom line and that's good if you want to work for a real business, not one chasing the next fundraising round. If you are lucky enough to get to work here, just know whatever happens you'll be taken care of.

Cons

The newspaper industry is rough. It's hard to be the most successful company in a dying industry. To grow we have to cover the natural decline and then some. Also, there's not much day-to-day oversight, which is great for natural leaders or self-motivated people, or real professionals who know how to be employees but not ideal for folks who need a lot of direction, guidance, and acknowledgment.

Advice to Management

Celebrate the wins more. And not just what sales was doing. For each team. We always had a lot but we focused on where things were failing instead of the good we each were doing.

"Good time to own something"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feels like a fam. Changes in the newspaper industry means we aren't as big as we used to be, but everyone still here is sharp and we work well as a unit.

Plenty of new and existing projects to choose from; leadership seems to genuinely want you to work on things things that you like, so you have freedom.

Great benefits and very flexible work schedule.

Cons

Because we're small, failing to deliver on a project hurts more than just the company, it hurts the people around you. If that sounds stressful for me it also makes my day-to-day more meaningful.

Leadership is not afraid to be blunt. If you have thin skin you might leave with a bruised ego.

"On Its Last Legs"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were good, but even that was affected a bit by cost cutting measures. The people were great, but most of them are gone now too.

Cons

I'm not sure why I'm writing this review because I seriously doubt OwnLocal will hire a new employee ever again.

OwnLocal’s leadership has steered the company straight into an iceberg and the ship is rapidly sinking. The CEO is dishonest and not fit for leading a company. The CRO is a 7ft tall toddler that just wants to play with his toys (literally) and throws tantrums when he doesn’t get his way. These two are the root of OwnLocal's toxic environment.

Other contributing factors? There’s no product leadership. There’s no innovation. Sales are tanking, and there’s no path to recovery. In between the 2 big layoffs that happened in the last 1.5 years, the company continued to hemorrhage talent and failed to course-correct. OwnLocal used to be a scrappy startup filled with great people. It was always unorganized and a little chaotic, but at least you could grow your career and work with talented and eager people. But those people–honestly, OwnLocal’s only redeeming quality besides benefits–are gone now. Anyone still there is either trapped by circumstance or delusional.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop lying and gaslighting your employees. Try being honest for a change.

"Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

People are good
    Health benefits are pretty good

Cons

Parts of the exec team fit the worst stereotypes of wannabe tech bros (imagine Uber or Riot's culture)
    Multiple layoffs in the past couple of years.
    Throwing stuff at the wall to see what works and what doesn't
    It feels like the CEO and execs are siphoning all the money they can from the company.

Advice to Management

Treat the remaining people decently otherwise, everyone is going to leave even faster.

"A Field of Broken Dreams"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a job with very little experience you can probably get a job here and that could be a pro. Basically it could be a good place to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Think long and hard before working here, seriously. If you can't find any other tech jobs and need to pay your rent or want to get your foot in the door then maybe this is the place for you.

"Has some promise...."

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Will the company be a multi-billion dollar beast? No. However, it will grow 20% per year at minimum. OwnLocal has established itself in the market in such a way where it has it's "hooks" in a lot of it's customer base. Can grow quickly if product improvements are made.

Cons

Making up for mistakes of the past can be tough. Lack of momentum. Lack of product market fit at the moment. Needs better cross-functional communication.

Advice to Management

Communicate better internally and make sure the entire company knows the direction. Remember, everyone is, or should be, in Sales. All departments are needed to grow the business.

"Basic Austin Startup"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

You receive basic perks you see at most Austin based companies, above average insurance coverage, you could consider this a good stepping stone to something better, and there are quality employees who are wonderful to work with and learn from.

Cons

There have been multiple layoffs, leadership exists in title alone, growth opportunity is non existent, turnover is alarmingly high on multiple teams, political culture with occasional gaslighting, and an overall adolescent, high school like, energy to the company. Maybe my experience was oddly unique, but it's hard to believe that truth when you see so many other negative reviews on this company mentioning similar issues.

Advice to Management

Read the Glassdoor reviews and feedback. Learn from them rather than blowing them off and attempting to guess who wrote each one.

8. "OwnLocal on Upswing"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Aside from the perks that even the 1-star raters agree on, the environment is greatly improving. People that survived the scale-back from last year seem cautiously optimistic and excited to be improving the product, company, and each other.

Cons

Anything I could list here is improving. It has the right people working on doing the right things.

"Meh . . . Pretty Standard Austin Start-Up"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Great hiring practices, really get some quality people into the company. Nice benefits. Working downtown is always fun. Good idea behind the product. You can take on a lot of work on if you are trying to gain experience and build up your resume.

Cons

Pretty standard Austin start-up run by patriarchal leadership with inflated egos and delusions of grandeur. It's sort of baffling that so many high-level employees can be brought on but have to be let go or leave due to leadership problems. The Sales team will always suffer due to lack of quality leadership in the department, selling tech is not the same thing as selling wigs. I think until that is dealt with the company will continue to flounder or be sold at some point to cover losses for investors (Again the same problem with most Tech Start-ups). The benefits are nice but things like free lunch are pretty much considered part of your salary, I mean prisons get 3 meals a day so everything is relative.

Advice to Management

Just get it together and stop treating employees like tools and actually try to build a culture and product that people can be proud of. I understand we have a society built on money and making money but if that's all your company is about you should just be honest about it from the get go.

"Still the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've learned and experienced so much during my time at OwnLocal that has set me up for a great career.

My co-workers are hard-working, supremely helpful and understanding. We have a very open no-dumb-questions culture of learning and improvement that I'm glad I've been able to help grow.

I have had a lot of opportunities to significantly improve our product and customers, and I'm very excited about our future roadmap.

Cons

Focusing on new unproven platforms at the expense of the existing product was a pretty serious misstep, thankfully this has been corrected.

We're a bit of a rowdy bunch on occasion, can get somewhat noisy. Nothing a good pair of Bose headphones can't cure.

Advice to Management

Having a significant portion of your company laid off on short notice is a bit of a downer. I understand the need business-wise but most companies I know announce layoffs before taking effect to give people time to prepare.

I'm more excited about our future than (frankly) I've been in a while. We're on a great and still improving trajectory, keep it up!