OwnLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 1, 2018

3.8
Lloyd W. Armbrust

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "We really are a team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

These people are incredible. I've never enjoyed working with my coworkers more. People truly care about the quality of their work and care about their teammates.

Cons

The maturity of the company is occasionally questionable.

"A Field of Broken Dreams"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a job with very little experience you can probably get a job here and that could be a pro. Basically it could be a good place to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Think long and hard before working here, seriously. If you can't find any other tech jobs and need to pay your rent or want to get your foot in the door then maybe this is the place for you.

"Has some promise...."

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Will the company be a multi-billion dollar beast? No. However, it will grow 20% per year at minimum. OwnLocal has established itself in the market in such a way where it has it's "hooks" in a lot of it's customer base. Can grow quickly if product improvements are made.

Cons

Making up for mistakes of the past can be tough. Lack of momentum. Lack of product market fit at the moment. Needs better cross-functional communication.

Advice to Management

Communicate better internally and make sure the entire company knows the direction. Remember, everyone is, or should be, in Sales. All departments are needed to grow the business.

"Basic Austin Startup"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

You receive basic perks you see at most Austin based companies, above average insurance coverage, you could consider this a good stepping stone to something better, and there are quality employees who are wonderful to work with and learn from.

Cons

There have been multiple layoffs, leadership exists in title alone, growth opportunity is non existent, turnover is alarmingly high on multiple teams, political culture with occasional gaslighting, and an overall adolescent, high school like, energy to the company. Maybe my experience was oddly unique, but it's hard to believe that truth when you see so many other negative reviews on this company mentioning similar issues.

Advice to Management

Read the Glassdoor reviews and feedback. Learn from them rather than blowing them off and attempting to guess who wrote each one.

5. "OwnLocal on Upswing"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Aside from the perks that even the 1-star raters agree on, the environment is greatly improving. People that survived the scale-back from last year seem cautiously optimistic and excited to be improving the product, company, and each other.

Cons

Anything I could list here is improving. It has the right people working on doing the right things.

"Meh . . . Pretty Standard Austin Start-Up"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Great hiring practices, really get some quality people into the company. Nice benefits. Working downtown is always fun. Good idea behind the product. You can take on a lot of work on if you are trying to gain experience and build up your resume.

Cons

Pretty standard Austin start-up run by patriarchal leadership with inflated egos and delusions of grandeur. It's sort of baffling that so many high-level employees can be brought on but have to be let go or leave due to leadership problems. The Sales team will always suffer due to lack of quality leadership in the department, selling tech is not the same thing as selling wigs. I think until that is dealt with the company will continue to flounder or be sold at some point to cover losses for investors (Again the same problem with most Tech Start-ups). The benefits are nice but things like free lunch are pretty much considered part of your salary, I mean prisons get 3 meals a day so everything is relative.

Advice to Management

Just get it together and stop treating employees like tools and actually try to build a culture and product that people can be proud of. I understand we have a society built on money and making money but if that's all your company is about you should just be honest about it from the get go.

"Still the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've learned and experienced so much during my time at OwnLocal that has set me up for a great career.

My co-workers are hard-working, supremely helpful and understanding. We have a very open no-dumb-questions culture of learning and improvement that I'm glad I've been able to help grow.

I have had a lot of opportunities to significantly improve our product and customers, and I'm very excited about our future roadmap.

Cons

Focusing on new unproven platforms at the expense of the existing product was a pretty serious misstep, thankfully this has been corrected.

We're a bit of a rowdy bunch on occasion, can get somewhat noisy. Nothing a good pair of Bose headphones can't cure.

Advice to Management

Having a significant portion of your company laid off on short notice is a bit of a downer. I understand the need business-wise but most companies I know announce layoffs before taking effect to give people time to prepare.

I'm more excited about our future than (frankly) I've been in a while. We're on a great and still improving trajectory, keep it up!

"not sure what happened"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, career growth if you're in the know

Cons

Most of this is basically just since early-mid 2017.
    So many pivots
    Transparency issues
    ill-planned growth leading to layoffs
    What's going on with the engineering team? Why are they dropping like flies?
    Occasional bad planning - last year the entire company had to do 8+ hours of data entry for a few days during a new product release
    and other things

Advice to Management

Get it together. We used to be great. What happened?

"Ebbs and flows but OwnLocal is heading toward high tide again"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re motivated and capable, it’s possible to significantly level up at OwnLocal. I started with the company in an entry-level position and now serve in a role that directly impacts company strategy.

Amazing co-workers that will challenge and support you. You are never the smartest person in the room.

After years of focusing on uninspired (though lucrative) products, the company is finally using its talent to innovate. New products are exciting to work on.

Compensation and benefits are competitive within the market. This wasn’t always the case but leadership took action to rectify this over the past year.

OwnLocal gets four stars for now, but its been five stars before and will be again if current trends hold true.

Cons

Company culture has struggled after a difficult year. Though efforts are underway to rebuild, this is an organic process and takes time.

Structured training, feedback, and ongoing education won’t be offered. You have to ask for these things when you need them.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to the core operations of the company.

Recognize that a diversity of personalities and opinions strengthens the company.

"Poor engineering morale"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

- You're surrounded by smart people.
    - Benefits are great (100% paid healthcare, free lunch, free Starbucks), but don't mistake perks as culture.

Cons

- In 2017 the leadership made many decisions that have felt unfair to engineering and engineers have been punished for decisions that were made by people who are no longer here.
    - Because of all the pivoting, it's hard to feel accomplished by your work.
    - Career growth is reserved for people who are friends with the CEO.
    - Six engineers have left the company in the past three months. To put that in perspective, they started 2017 with 20 engineers, went down to 10 in July after layoffs, and haven't hired any engineers since. They're simply unable to maintain the volume and speed of work that product management and leadership request.

Advice to Management

To Lloyd: learn from more experienced leaders. Respect your employees. Stop looking female employees up and down.