OwnLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

Lloyd W. Armbrust

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good times!"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work everyday. The people, product and environment are awesome. OwnLocal is filled with a bunch of fun people that are committed to success and have fun doing it.

Cons

The company is growing and thereby changing. The leadership team has not done a great job communicating how the change is beneficial to the company yet...but they seem to be working on it. Personally, I like the change and new direction, but some of my peers don't.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the product and future of the company. It will pay off!

"Failure of Executive Team"

I worked at OwnLocal (More than a year)

Pros

The people were amazing. I would not have stayed as long as I did if it weren't for each one of my co-workers who was more than willing to work 12 hour days, constantly combat a broken product and receive a ridiculously low salary, all the while with a smile on their face. Recently OwnLocal laid off a sizable amount of people and I can only hope that they don't lose sight of what makes the company great.

Cons

The Executive Sales team failed the company. The CEO failed the company. Financials were completely mismanaged which resulted in the massive layoffs. Inappropriate relationships created tension and distractions in the office.

Advice to Management

Allow those with cooler heads to make the big decisions. Focus on the main product instead of constantly coming up with new ideas that are unsustainable.

"Bro-town USA"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Your coworkers are smart and hardworking, and generally people you would want to hang out with.

Cons

The leadership team is a cliquey group of bros. Even the one female leader is a bro.

Advice to Management

Be inclusive to the rest of the company, we are the ones getting things done.

"Scaling Arrested Development"

I worked at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

The employees of OL are what make it special. Not leadership.

I took a 50% pay cut to join OL to share my expertise as they scaled the business. To further drive this point, several of my co-workers worked a 2nd job to make ends meet because their entry level job pays less than a living wage at a little over $10, but hey, you get a free lunch and after 90 days you get free Starbucks and free parking eventually... (you have to wait for a spot to open so sometimes much longer than 90 days) it's the CEO's philosophy to bring "some" jobs (imo, those he doesn't value) in way under market. He likes making people work for it. He said he did it in his 20s (like 8 yrs ago) so his employees should do it too. All right, Dad.

OL has done some things well. Scaling it up will be hard unless you are willing to listen. Otherwise, I saw a potential for UBER culture. Don't let that happen. You have really great people working for you

Cons

On the 5th day of employment, I knew I was not a fit. It's very clique-y and one of the worst examples of the Millennium gen cliche. The culture is high performance borderline fear based. Not for everyone for sure.

Leadership needs to be careful with their words as they often expose themselves to possible litigation. They prefer to ignore that advice. A couple of employees allowed each other 1 racial slur a day against the other one. Neat, huh? IMO, there's a hardcore bro culture with a side of alcoholism. Witnessed the CEO yelling at and belittling his wife reducing her to tears. Not in front of the kids, please.

My final straw...during the voting session of a potential hire...the person's age (saying the candidate was old) came up over and over again.

Advice to Management

Yes, you're cool. You really are. Everyone knows it. Congrats-job well done!

Now, get undone and get down to it. You've got an amazing Engineering team ...Give them the focus and dedicated attention -focus on your product and make it scaleable.

Oh, and if adjustments haven't already been made...please pay your awesome Customer Support team more. They need a raise, seriously...

OL's ultimate success will be accomplished if they can manage to grow up. You don't lose your culture just because you grow up a little bit. I know how important this company is to you. It is your life's work so far. Don't screw it up by remaining arrested and it starts at the top.

"Favorite Job Ever"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never felt so invested in by an employer. I have been with the company for several months, and learn something new everyday about the industry, and about myself professionally. Its a fast-paced environment with a culture of ownership, and transparency. I hope I can do as much for this company as they have done for me.

Cons

I wish I had started at OwnLocal sooner! The only real con is that some salaries start below industry standard, but you're compensated through many other benefits (free Starbucks, AMAZING lunches, fun work events, unlimited vacation, and seriously good insurance).

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on! I hope OwnLocal can hold on to its values and culture while scaling up.

"Best company I've worked for"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

The culture is very open, including the leadership, and you're given the space, tools and opportunity to do great work. The work is interesting and compensation + benefits are superb.

Cons

Almost none, really. If any, can get a little loud at times, but that is to be expected in a new office.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. Stay transparent, have fun building out the new office, and hope we have a great 2017.

"Great culture, vision and people!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being surrounded by smart, driven, nice people.
    Working on a great service with huge potential.
    Having your voice heard, developing new processes.
    Great management from the top down.
    Fun and upbeat work environment with endless perks.

Cons

Not much to complain about here, it's a startup so there's some inevitable uncertainty and change but the leadership team is open about business decisions.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the culture you have now.

OwnLocal Response

Dec 5, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback--I really appreciate the time you took to leave a review.

As you know, we spend a lot of time on hiring the very best people that want to work hard and do the best work... More

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time

Pros

Have a set career path, with the options of branching out. Have another field you are interested in after starting with OwnLocal? You have the opportunity to transition within the company. Gives you responsibility from day one. Free lunch everyday. Take it when you need it vacation policy. Free Starbucks.

Cons

Just like any growing startup, could get acquired at any moment, which is a pro or con.

Advice to Management

Continue to give employees more and more responsibility.

OwnLocal Response

Dec 5, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for leaving this note--it's always good to hear positive things from employees.

It might be interesting for you to know that while we have had several opportunities to sell the company over... More

9. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Sweet Office Space
    Awesome people
    Interesting Business

Cons

The interview process is pretty rigorous, but everyone here is more invested in each other as a result.

10. "Wonderful People, Fulfilling Work, Compassionate Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OwnLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OwnLocal is full of people who want to help others do their best work. Even from the beginning, they've taken my ideas seriously and given me the resources to learn and grow. Because we're growing so fast, there's several opportunities to build new processes and leave a mark on the company.

There's also plenty of growth opportunities in the company; within and across departments. New positions are regularly filled internally.

OwnLocal also takes care of their employees. Great healthcare, open vacation policy, and plenty of resources dedicated to our comfort and wellbeing.

Cons

There will always be something on your to-do list. If you personally have trouble turning the "work" mode off when you need to, you're liable to burn yourself out.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees well as we continue to scale. That's what makes us extremely loyal, and gets us through the hard days.