POLARIS Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Bryan Debshaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, good benefits, casual work environment, open door policy, job stability (in 3 reviews)

• good for entry level people or people who are not familiar with a laboratory (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will fabricate causes to fire people that disagree or they feel threatened by (in 7 reviews)

• They could do a better job of trying to avoid that (in 3 reviews)

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule. My manager is the best manager I have ever had. He works just as hard as everyone on the team. When I first started everyone went out of there way to make me feel welcome and answer my questions. All of my coworker are awesome people who are a joy to work with.

Cons

It is a big learning curve when you don’t know anything about oil analysis. There are office politics like at most companies. They could do a better job of trying to avoid that.

Advice to Management

Keep working on open communication and sticking to lean. Also put more of an emphasis on cross training so that when there is turnover we are not in a whole.

2. "Great Company Fun Products"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company with great products

Cons

Need to get better at reducing recalls

"Management"

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time

Pros

Gym, other employees, free snacks and drinks, open offices

Cons

HR doesn't seem to really care, management can be vindictive and nonsupporting, if they also give no accountability when it is clearly hurting moral of the company.

Advice to Management

Most of your supervisors need a class in work ethics.

"Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for POLARIS Laboratories for over two years and was sad to leave. The culture and flexibility are unmatched. The "work hard, play hard" cliche really applies here. It is a casual atmosphere and jeans are acceptable. The company has numerous events for their employees year round including holiday parties, game lunches, cookouts, pancake breakfasts, cooking competitions, and more. My experience at POLARIS has been very pleasant. I like both the work and the people I work with. Since I arrived I have been given opportunities for training and advancement. I felt like I was believed in and well respected. I find that management is easy to get along with and wants what is best for the organization. I think that it is easy to succeed at this organization if you are a hard worker and get along well with others. One thing I genuinely appreciate about the organization is their constant drive to improve. They knew that they weren't the highest paying and since I arrived they have drastically improved pay rates. They heard from employees that they wanted changes made to benefits, so they created an employee group to help make decisions on benefit plans moving forward. Those are just a few of the examples. The organization is genuinely concerned with the thoughts and opinions of it's workforce.

Cons

It is a smaller organization so while there are many chances to advance in the organization at headquarters if you are willing to move, there is only so much upward movement available at the remote locations. The company has, however, relocated many employees from the remote locations to headquarters for advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the population and drive for improvement and change. Do that and the organization will continue to thrive, and retention rate will continue on an upward trend. I truly enjoyed my time with POLARIS. It certainly helped to improve and advance my career.

"Management"

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time

Pros

Plenty of work. Many opportunities for OT. Easy to make friends with the work force.

Cons

Management can be a bit fickle. Work efforts are not often recognized. Opportunities to move upward are pretty limited.

Advice to Management

More voaability in the lab. Get to know the people for more than just your "hired hands".

"Good with its bad"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

Pros

Causal environment.nice hr.u dnt ve to be friendly if u dnt want to just come do ur work and go

Cons

Poor training due to some employees won't want u to know better than them so they just do as they like and cos that ve been there longer than u.u dnt necessary matter and that leaves u to figuring things out by our self and making mistakes at which they will still write u up for.

Advice to Management

Follow up with ur new employee am talking about one on one not some survey

"Wouldn't wish this job on anyone"

Former Employee - Laboratory Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-People All good to talk to, and there wasn't a lot of people that I would qualify as unbearable.
    -Entry level lab experience

Cons

-Pay way lower than the market average, most employees could not afford their insurance and rent if they weren't forced into working overtime regularly
    -Lab employees have little to no chance of advancing
    -Entire organization is run by people with 3 different last names
    -People often promoted to department head who could not be less qualified or a worse fit for the position.
    -When asking employees for advice, management actually wants you to confirm how smart they are.
    -Possibly the worst, most poorly thought out implementation of Kaizen you'll see in the professional world
    -Managers will claim credit for ideas that the supervisors or employees who report to them came up with
    -Many changes that employees suggest will be documented as having been done and no actual change took place
    -Laboratory supervisors are treated like whipping boys. Supervisors were consistently told to focus on goals that contradict each other which loses them a great deal of credibility with their subordinates
    -Upper management will fabricate causes to fire people that disagree or they feel threatened by
    -Painfully outdated interfacing hardware for lab equipment (PCs)
    -Poor maintenance support all around
    -Sales will frequently make promises that fall outside of the capabilities of the laboratory
    -Raises, if they ever happen, are a pittance
    -Competing with McDonald's for the same employee base
    -Incredible disconnect from top to bottom
    -Actively hire outside the company instead of promoting those who show potential and work ethic
    -First shift can do no wrong. Second and third shift will constantly foot the blame for issues that should have been resolved on first shift. In fairness, I don't believe there is a third shift anymore.
    -Everyone is self serving, there isn't any degree of collaboration between departments
    -Management will NOT back supervisors if an employee takes an issue to HR
    -CEO lacks strategic vision, you ain't runnin' laundromats anymore buddy
    -IT support is basically non existent
    -Lab employees are expected to keep up with critical company announcements on a social media platform "Yammer" with barely functioning PCs that often had a lot of core functionality disabled (like internet access)
    -Yammer

Advice to Management

I wish I had some. The arrogance displayed by management is staggering. The decision makers have been there making the same decisions for a long time and they couldn't fathom ever not doing something the way they want to. I would clean house completely and find some people who actually earned their place in the industry.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Coworkers
    -Experience
    -The pay has definitely gotten better since when I started 3 and a half years ago.
    - The turnover rate (at least in the Houston lab) has gone down quite a significant amount from the first year or 2 I was there.

Cons

-Benefits are ok
    -If you work at a remote location that's not Indianapolis, there isn't really anyway to move up in the company unless you move to Indiana.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing(Listening to your employees, giving them better pay, taking their suggestions, etc)

I feel like all these things have contributed greatly the past year or 2 in keeping people around. I feel like at the Houston location especially we have a great team to work with that sticks together and gets things done everyday. Getting to keep the people we have cuts back on training time and lets the people we have become more experienced and familiar with the machines and people we work with everyday.

"Lousy leadership makes for lousy company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are nice. They listen to each other well and we all look out for the other.
    The building is clean and still looks new.
    There is a fitness center some of us use. They do spend much effort pushing wellness activities.
    My manager is somebody I would do anything extra for. Treatment most managers get from owners seems so unfair.
    Some neat internal activities for staff done by hr or managers.

Cons

Micromanaging owners. Managers aren't suposed to think for themselves at polaris or risk getting in trouble with the ceo. Never challenge ceo or you will be let go fast.
    Benefitts are lousy. I can spent half a paycheck on just benefits.
    Health and dental insurance doesnt cover much.
    Polaris spends a lot of money on basic equipment but then stiffs employees with no raises.
    We often get told what to think. We are smart we know what we see.
    Ceo has all the answers. This leads to turnover and lots of people have left. I lose track of how many different managers i had since started.
    We are expected to work late and even weekends. We get told company has to be important than family.

Advice to Management

Ceo should treat managers and employees better. We may stay.
    Improve the health and dental insurance. No increases on an already high cost plan is not good news to us and is still too expensive.
    Quit blaming people who leave for all your problems. They are leaving because of how the company is ran.
    Let the managers manage the company. Dont get in there way.
    Pay employees better.
    Make the company fun again. We dont want to come to work and here were too slow, not focused or not doing a good job by a ceo who isnt around much anyway.
    Things are soo different since leadership changed hands last year.

"Joke of a company"

Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Different than all other companies. Sexual harassment, discrimination, nepotism and favoritism are all traits of the CEO. Reputable companies won't stand for this and have rules in place to prevent these practices along with mandatory training - not Polaris. Individuals report up through their spouse, employees with high insurance claims have been discriminated against, those who aren't facebook friends with the CEO are discriminated against also

Cons

* Turnover at the exempt level is high. In the past 6 months, many key personnel have left the company and more will follow. No one can work for an egotistical CEO who is doing his best to chase off good talent and run this company into the ground

* Quality has never been a focus - TAT is the only metric that matters to ownership. Customers should be concerned.

Advice to Management

Quit begging Glassdoor to remove 100% accurate negative posts.