PSEG Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Ralph Izzo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "On call engineering schedule is bad for work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "No opportunities for engineers to work from home occasionally" (in 7 reviews)

1. "IT Intern"

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Welcoming and Friendly corporate enviroment.

Cons

No parking around area.

2. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Longevity. Flexible depending on the job and your manager.

Cons

"Who you know" matters more than "what you know.

3. "Environmental Department"

Current Employee - Environmental Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Environmental Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive pay, very stable corporation, offer more career based positions, company is trying to come up to speed with current values

Cons

Very political, more like an old boys club, not about what you know but who you know, interview process is very subjective, seems like a lot of conflict between age groups and between management and union

Advice to Management

Provide better benefits for management to learn how to manage (leadership training, management certifications, etc). Make the interview process more objective than subjective and about luck in the interview that day and provide interviewees with copies of each question as the interview is occurring. Provide internal (and possibly external) employees who interview for positions a written outlook of how their interview went and where they fell short of being offered the position due to the subjective nature of the interview.

4. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Alot to learn if you have a good manager who supports you which is hardly the case

Cons

Nepotism; weak leadership and no young engineer wants to stay more than couple of years at this place. It is dead. And once the projects are done they will slowly lay off people without causing any media hype.

Advice to Management

You need to step up and witness who is working and who is only talk.

5. "Good Old Boy's Company Struggling to Modernize"

I have been working at PSEG full-time

Pros

Room for growth / Many Departments
    Solid Benefits
    Flexibility

Cons

Everything is dated - from employees to systems
    Resistant to real change
    High expectations
    Poor work life /balance perpetuated by antiquated cultural values and practices

6. "Good company to retire from"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at PSEG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slow-paced environment with good job security.

Cons

Too many politics. Outdated technology.

7. "Great Company to Start Your Career"

Pros

Decent Pay and benefits. Job security!

Cons

Outdated Equipment and Culture. Have a decent Cafeteria in divisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little guys

8. "Good work environment"

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Mostly good people, large equipment

Cons

Long commute, can feel a bit governmental

9. "Worst job that I have ever had! Terrible management, no growth."

Former Employee - Meter Reader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Meter Reader in New York, NY

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Good if you want to be a lineman in the future.

Cons

Waiting 5 years for a pension plan, no vacation or sick days for the first year, expensive healthcare, lousy management, no growth opportunities, terrible pay, no job training beyond reading meters, DANGEROUS (no matter what they tell you!)

Advice to Management

The job is not "safe", as some reviewers have stated. Homeowners whom have never seen a meter reader ( and most don't know that the meters are manually read), will call the police on you, or run out of their homes demanding to know who you are. Never mind that you are in full PSEG attire, with logos from head to toe!
    Then there are the ferocious dogs. Many houses have doggie doors which are left unlocked during the day. You will have to go into many backyards to read meters, and many have loose dogs and doggie doors. I was confronted by dogs more than 5 times, and I consider myself lucky that I was not yet attacked. Although I did work with someone who suffered massive dog bites to the face after being attacked by a dog. Rattling the gate or calling out does not insure your safe entry, either.
    My manager was an idiot. Managers compete with each other for numbers on reads. An estimated bill will result when a meter is not read and logged in as unaccessible for any reason. Therefore, you have to leave the read open so it does not go in as a closed read resulting in an estimate. Managers get upset when you do not have a 97% or better read rate. And, this will result as beyond your control. If you take the time to knock, and wait, you will not have time to finish your route, and that will count against you, as well.
    So, even if a homeowner has a locked gate, and/or you cannot access the meter, you're screwed. You have to leave that meter reading open, and that also will affect your overall meter read.These results will be brought up on you review, and limit your ability to land another position within the company. A near impossibility with all the factors being considered.
    The job paid $17.05/hour. I literally can sit on my cheeks for that amount of money. Some of my co-workers thought that this pay rate was a lot of money. It is not. Don't drink the cool-aid, because many other jobs pay a lot more and are less dangerous and much more enjoyable.
    Pension benefits don't kick in until after 5 years, and sick/vacation benefits don't kick in until 1 year later. Furthermore, there is no training for preparation into other job roles within the company. Roles which you will not have access to until the other meter readers hired before you (sr's) move into other positions. There are only a few positions which open up every month, somewhere around 2 each month which require specific skills, such as "forklift experience", etc., which you will not learn at PSEG.
    Many of the senior meter readers looking for a better opportunity will not pass the tests, or don't have the skill set. You will find that you must wait around for several years to find another opportunity within the company. The more time you invest in waiting, the more committed you are in having to wait until you move up. Most meter readers are reading for 3-4 years before even being considered for another position. If you have the time to sit around, then go for it.
    In all honesty, I don't understand all the positive reviews I have read for this job. I did not find one person in two different yards who liked being a meter reader. Every meter reader was waiting for a better opportunity, and they were MISERABLE!

10. "Great"

Current Employee - IT Intern in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it’s a very relaxed environment

Cons

People are too busy to teach new employees

Advice to Management

Great management