PSEG Reviews

Updated May 30, 2020

3.6
PSEG Chairman and CEO Ralph Izzo (no image)
Ralph Izzo
Pros
  • "Good pay, great coworkers and bosses(in 39 reviews)

• "Employees get good benefits, the work is not that challenging(in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place to work on Long Island"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, community volunteer program, flex work hours, work life balance, provide great service to customers

Cons

Storm duty, difficult to get promoted

PSEG2019-12-30
  2. "Volunteer to lead and take on more, and see the fruits of your efforts soon"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has recently started Flexible work options, and it is great.

Cons

No Vacation rollover, so you're screwed if you have unplanned vacation needs at the year end.

PSEG2020-05-22
  3. "none"

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Paulsboro, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wages and benefits were good.

Cons

Politics, age and gender discrimination was prevalent at all levels.

PSEG2020-05-30
  4. "Great Company with some great people"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at PSEG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Desks are nicer than most places

Cons

The lunch area is poor. Not many food options.

PSEG2020-05-05
  5. "Meter reader"

Current Employee - Meter Reader

I have been working at PSEG full-time

Pros

Great work place but long walks but good exercise

Cons

None great place to start a good career

PSEG2020-04-30
  6. "A nuanced opinion- the good and the bad"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay was decent. There is a cash pension, yearly bonuses, employee stock purchase plan, tuition reimbursement. If you do accept an offer there make sure you take advantage of these from day 1 because they build up quickly over time. At the end of my tenure the employee stock purchase plan accrued over $20k with a limited investment. Safety is extremely important and the company took this very seriously.' Work was generally pretty interesting. I started in the project management organization and worked on numerous projects that interfaced with many parts of the company, from IT to electric operations to procurement to external partners. They have some good people working for them, and you'll want to be on these people's teams because that will make the difference in your experience and growth. Very stable. Even the bad managers/employees will not get fired but rotated to another position. This is both good and bad, it promotes a culture of uselessness but also ensures that employees know their future is rock solid. Great place to start your career and finish it. But if you're mid-career and looking to innovate, I'd caution jumping aboard.

Cons

It's a conservative company. They pride themselves on being around for a long time and will continue to make decisions based on that. Not a bad rationalization but if you're looking for something glamorous and high-growth this place won't be for you. Your experience and growth will largely depend on who you work for. Managers need to speak up on your behalf when senior management is assessing who gets promoted. This makes it tough if you have a soft-spoken manager despite performing at a higher level. HR is unfortunately nonexistent. I'm not sure what the issues are here but if you have some sort of internal conflict, HR will not be there. Personally I never had any issues but colleagues have told me about problems they've had and their interactions with HR and said that they couldn't even get someone to respond. Dealing with lifers. There is a large amount of the workforce that seemed to have not cared or were indifferent. They were just doing their time and more often than not created more problems than they solved. Typical politics, bureaucracy, too many emails, too many meetings, all leading to too little time. Storm duty for MAST employees was always a pain. Depending on company rules and classifications your time was free when performing. It always seemed to me that there was a more efficient way of managing this rather than throwing a handful of people in a room at odd hours of the day. Internal professional departments seemed to be lacking industry specific investments and knowledge. For example, internal engineering never seemed to be able to deliver on its promises for designs. IT always needed at least 6 months lead-time to even land a data connection. Etc. It could be that the company is better set-up to manage on-going maintenance rather than new-builds. When I was there there was no work-from-home option. Everyone was deemed critical and required to get through the snow risking life and limb to sit in a cubicle. I think the company has changed this from my understanding so take it with a grain of salt. With so much stability, there isn't a lot of room to grow and advance.

Continue reading
    PSEG2020-04-29
  7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Supervisor in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at PSEG full-time

Pros

Good pay and benifits, large company with job growth potential

Cons

Recent management downsizing, forcing movement of positions

PSEG2020-04-22
  8. "Lineman"

Former Employee - Lineman

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary with alot of overtime

Cons

Away from family and children alot

PSEG2020-05-03
  9. "Great company"

4.0
    Current Employee - First Line Supervisor

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Extremely diverse company that is constantly changing to meet the times. You are compensated well for your long hours and hard work.

Cons

As with any large company there can be micro management issues or corporate decisions you may not like or agree with.

PSEG2020-04-17
  10. "Watch out"

1.0
    Former Employee - IT Ops

I worked at PSEG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair pay and started off pleasantly

Cons

Alienated the wrong person who was managers toady, they manufactured phony story to terminate me 3 months later.

Continue reading