PacifiCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PacifiCorp President and CEO Stefan Bird
Stefan Bird

Pros
  • good people, good management, good pay (in 10 reviews)

• Very good work/life balance, at least in my department (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management rewards other insane people, scares away valuable seasoned employees (in 8 reviews)

• Poor Leadership, lack of respect for anyone not in a leadership position (in 3 reviews)

"A genuinely great place to work"

Current Employee - Grid Operator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grid Operator in Portland, OR

I have been working at PacifiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a wonderful work environment! If you have ever worked in transmission before, you know that it can be hectic, but there has been no moment at which I felt stressed with the great team of professionals I served with here.

Cons

Funding for much needed projects is lacking. There are also many issues to be waded through with foreign utilities. None of this detracts much from the good experiences you will have.

2. "Management is awful"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at PacifiCorp (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and annual bonuses. Work environment is generally stiff and benefits aren't anything to write home about. Salary is about it

Cons

Corporate, shady, no trust in employees. An overall low morale in regards to most elements of employment. Constant fear of being fired for no reason.

Advice to Management

Trust your people

3. "run do not walk- do not work here"

Former Employee - Finance Department Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Finance Department Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at PacifiCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good starting salary, possibility of a good bonus once a year. Possibilities for advancement if you are a white male.

Cons

Long work hours, old boy network, diversity lip service but you will hear a lot of inappropriate comments on the trading floor. No life/work balance, 12 hour days are common, as are weekends. My boss never missed his PT, but the rest of us worked insane hours.

Advice to Management

You can't do more with less without impacting life/work balance. Retirement contributions are worthless if you keel over from stress before you get there. Start noticing how many people are leaving and address the reasons why.

"Communications / Electrical Engineering Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at PacifiCorp (More than 3 years)

Pros

Obtained experience designing: schematic, wiring, substations, optical fiber, and site plans, Some good people willing to help.

Cons

Some people were there only for themselves, unwilling to even speak to others or give away their knowledge (which kept them employed since they were the only ones who knew what they were doing). Most of them had been there for years, as long as 10 years on a contract, no benefits or even Holidays. Management does not care for anyone, as long as they don't make noise, they stay. Some of the engineers had no clue about what they were doing but kept their job due to their "friends". My boss spoke 6 or 7 times to me in 2 1/2 years! mostly "Hi"

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees and give them a raise once in a while. Some know more than you do.

"substation engineer"

I have been working at PacifiCorp full-time

Pros

the people are great to work with

Cons

there is bad coffee in the break room

Advice to Management

needs more experience

"Slow moving utility with high employee mobility because of retirements and engineer exodus"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PacifiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally very nice colleagues at your level, some flexibility in workload order, large utility with intriguing problems to solve, utility is starting to recognize it is having difficulty keeping young engineers

Cons

Upper management is not greatly invested in being direct with or compensating employees at a competitive industry rate, very high turnover rate for a utility, message from management is often to do more with less, needlessly strict work environment in some areas of the business, suggestions will often fall on deaf ears, utility is often backwards thinking and not prone to change, many projects do not have owners because of the high turnover (many things fall through the crack), the problem keeping engineers as the older employees retire has not inspired great introspection or change

Advice to Management

Seriously consider why young engineers do not stay here long term, embrace change and new ways of thinking, compensate employees at industry rate, relax work environment

"Greedy"

I worked at PacifiCorp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Four walls and a roof

Cons

It's all about the bottom line

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are an asset and not a liability

"Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at PacifiCorp full-time

Pros

A handful of very kind people are left, but I can't imagine them staying around a lot longer. Working so much unpaid overtime will mean you can learn about the industry very rapidly.

Cons

Upper management rewards other insane people, scares away valuable seasoned employees. Heartless psychos run this place. They're all drinking the Ayn Rand kool aid and believe the rank-and-file employees are sub-humans who exist to be abused and humiliated. It is going to be really unfortunate when the company fails and a million customers have no electricity because of this bizarre social experiment.

Advice to Management

Stefan, please see a psychiatrist. You are not as smart as you think you are.

"pacific power"

I worked at PacifiCorp full-time

Pros

great pay and benefits for employees

Cons

almost impossible to get into company, unless already a journeyman

"Getting worse and worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at PacifiCorp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's health insurance. Sometimes you get a cookie. Free coffee. My fellow customer service reps are as friendly as they can be. Some managers care.

Cons

Over the years (I've been here 5+ years), this place gets worse and worse. Less flexibility. More treating the employees like robots. Everything is so numbers driven, the higher ups sometimes forget that we're human. Mandatory overtime like you wouldn't believe. Some managers and others play favorites and hold grudges to the point of harassment (and no one does anything about it).

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop treating us like we're a renewable resource. Treat your employees with respect.