Packsize Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

4.2
Hanko Kiessner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Technical Support Engineer"

I have been working at Packsize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, good training, nice people

Cons

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great place to work...especially if you're male"

I worked at Packsize full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment. Most of the executives including the CEO take the time to get to know everyone at the company.

Cons

Hard to progress in the company. A lot of out of state hires rather than promoting within. Definite hierarchy in meetings - opinions/views of "lower level employees" are often dismissed and ignored.

Advice to Management

Value input from all levels, can miss out on good ideas.

Nov 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, we see you gave us high marks for culture and values, work/life balance, and senior management; but we also recognize that you think there's more we... More

3. "Risky Job"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Packsize full-time

Pros

Great technology that is the leader in the space. Great value proposition. Young environment. Quota achievable if you grind.

Cons

Management isn't the most friendly. Everyone is looking out for themselves. People are let go every day for reasons unknown and turnover is high. Don't expect your manager to have your back as they are trying to make a name for themselves. All the best accounts in the areas have already been closed, only accounts left are small.

Advice to Management

Choose leadership that knows how to lead, not just based on the number of years experience. Recognize your employees who are doing the hard work.

Nov 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We agree that our technology is groundbreaking and our customers experience significant efficiencies with our solutions, which are LEAN and... More

4. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Packsize full-time

Pros

Nice CEO, Good swag (get the backpack).

Cons

Product Management (Software R&D) is impossible to appease.
    As a Software Engineer, you'll be working in a semi-hostile environment as Product Management will badmouth you every chance they get.
    The User Stories are always incomplete, but expectations will be high.
    The Team Leads do not understand how to do estimates, they choose the lowest estimate, and in many cases you are stuck with it. If you go over, which you probably will because it wasn’t your estimate in the first place – you will be docked in your quarterly review.
    The bonus structure, specifically in Software R&D, is haphazard at best. Depending on the project you are assigned to, your work/life balance might suck and your bonus will be worse than those who barely put in 40 hours a week. Also, get used to writing quarterly goals and being evaluated on them.
    The Project Management group is largely self-serving, and will throw you under the bus at a moment's notice.
    I really did not want to write this review, but I felt as though I needed to do so.
    This is seriously one of the worst jobs I have ever had. Micromanaging galore, far too many meetings, pointless team exercises, ridiculous mandatory "show & tell" gatherings at the end of every sprint, and people that shouldn’t even be there.

Advice to Management

1) Consider replacing the Product Management team, and by "consider," I mean do it. The team creates dysfunction, sends constant emails to the Development Manager regarding when developers are behaving in a way they don't deem desirable, and a host of other infractions that I would be more than happy to discuss.
    2) Fix the bonus requirement structure. Some developers are stuck on projects that require their full attention and they are not able to complete any “above and beyond” type of quarterly career goals, yet they are punished come bonus time.
    3) Consider replacing or reassigning the team leads. If they are going to choose the lowest estimate, and not even go with an average or max – someone is going to get hosed.
    4) User Stories should have clear expectations.
    5) Condense the quarterly reviews and “show & tell” meetings. Heck, eliminate the “show & tell” altogether. It’s juvenile, and it doesn’t even make sense.

Dec 13, 2018

We've honestly thought a lot about your feedback. As one of the fastest growing companies in Utah we enjoy a fast-paced environment with competing priorities, and a noble mission. Packsize is a... More

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Packsize full-time

Pros

The company’s dedication to sustainability

Cons

Managers that do not lead effectively

6. "Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Packsize full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The CEO is awesome, super humble and down to earth. He really does care about his employees, and it shows in the way he treats us.

Cons

Things can get a little hectic due to the fast growth and therefore always changing nature of the company

7. "Sales"

I have been working at Packsize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, environmentally conscience company. They realize their employees are what make PackSize great and treat accordingly. No gimmicks, while complex, very transparent sales process.

Cons

Very fast growing company, things can change quickly, keeps you on your toes.

Advice to Management

A little more planning before leaping would probably prevent a lot of backtracking, but overall, keep it up!

"Disingenuous - No integrity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Packsize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will make someone else rich.

Cons

Too long to even share.

Advice to Management

Stop removing all "negative" reviews. I am not sure how, and I am questioning this website now, you removed any and all negative reviews.

If you are a technology professional, don't join Packsize. Engineering management has no clue about technology nor how to run a multi-geography team. Management manages by fear (if you don't drop what you are doing at moments notice to travel to the worst "partner" customer) and threaten if you don't pull the weight. Say goodbye to work life balance.

Managers are in place here in the U.S. that have no experience in hardware. The hardware team overseas does not observe any sort of rules of engagement with the U.S. (essentially they do what they want).

Be careful in the work environment, you might make a mistake that causes HR to get involved. I think to date, Packsize has had more lawsuits in it's history as a company.

I guess I should put in the pros section that you can just dial out for days and do nothing without consequence. Any good leaders have been witch hunted out of Packsize.

Mar 30, 2018

After many positive reviews, it is with a heavy heart that we learn of your dissatisfaction with the work environment at Packsize. We hope you are making use of the avenues available to you to... More

9. "Great growing company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Packsize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Packsize is growing very fast and it is a great company to work for.

Cons

Could use some more vacation time or at least allow us to roll some of it over. It sucks to have to use all of your vacation time in December to make sure you don't lose it. Pretty petty thing to complain about. Haha.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Mar 30, 2018

We love knowing that you took the time to recommend Packsize as a great company to work for. We agree and are continually looking for ways to improve. As we grow, we will continue to look for ways... More

10. "Executive"

I have been working at Packsize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top class CEO, fast growing company that cares about employees, Exceptional commitment to the environment, attentive to work life balance, opportunities to grown and work aboard.

Cons

As with every company that grows fast, can seem chaotic at times

Advice to Management

Dont get comfortable with success, keep innovating, investing!