Paper Source Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Winnie Park

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It was sometimes challenging to manage staffing as the majority of the staff is part-time" (in 17 reviews)

• "The Custom Print department needs a lot of work" (in 16 reviews)

"Small Company with a Big Heart"

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of several companies I have worked for in retail, and I've worked for many in close to 20 years. This is by far one of the most supportive, committed, unique, fun and empathetic places I have worked. What you don't get to see as a customer is the sincere interactions, the genuine relationships and authentic attitudes that every single person in this organization exudes. From the CEO down to the sales associates, everyone is known by name and the leaders in this company never make you feel like you're replaceable. They truly are appreciative of what every single person brings to the table and of what each person, manager or sales associate alike, does to contribute to the success of the customer experience.

It is a small company, and there are pros and cons to that. And if your store is run right, and partnered with the right regional like mine is, it truly feels like family. I've often referred to this company as "Retails best kept secret." There are ups and downs, of course, and change is felt on a daily basis, but I have never felt unsupported or discouraged for not knowing certain things or being able to keep up with the pace at times. While it is true that each store and the personalities in it are different, there is the core of what Paper Source is and done right, you will have found the home you need for a successful career.

Cons

I think part of this is being picky, but there are only three "cons". Salary first, Advancement opportunities second and cost of benefits third.

While I find that I am below the market average for my area, I will tell you there is a trade off - the scheduling can be extremely flexible, and with the right store manager writing it there is a HIGH value of work/life balance. This is not a company that has no grasp of life outside of work. They do NOT want to burn you out or not enjoy your job. There is a very high understanding that we are PEOPLE not robots and have lives outside of those four walls.

Also, many of the stores don't follow "Mall Hours" based on location, so the latest I work outside of seasonal times is 7:30pm.

Growth outlook is not what it was when I first started a couple years ago, and I fell that limits the opportunity for advancement unless someone leaves within the company. If you aren't relocatable or aren't willing to relocate to the opportunity that does become available, you might find it hard to get a Store Management position. With that being said, the company appears to be extremely stable and is still supporting itself and making money.

Also, it's a small company, and I have worked for retailers with over 1,000 stores so the cost of benefits isn't really fair to list as a con. You can't expect a smaller retailer to get as big of a price break on employee benefits as a global retailer. But it does cut a dent into your gross pay. I know that when they can the company will definitely provide lower premiums to their associates.

Advice to Management

You all value your people so much, and I know at my store we are so blessed to have the people we do working for us. With that being said, I hope going forward we can find a way to invest in the people more after the investments in our business structure have paid off. You have a sea of talent at your disposal but your fabulous culture, generous respect and unparalleled heart won't pay everyone's bills. Analyzing the cost of living based on your stores' individual markets and compensating management appropriately to be competitive with retailers as a whole in their markets would be a big help.

May 24, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. It is great to get employee feedback on what is working and how we can continue to improve our culture and processes as we grow as an organization. We... More

2. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People who worked there, interesting customers, a variety of tasks and responsibility, responsive and understanding managers, employee recognition, discounts, ability to take and teach workshops, and more. It was also nice to feel like you were helping people complete creative projects and be able to learn about different crafting techniques. Never knew it could be so interesting to learn about paper.

Cons

Only part-time if you're not a manager, etc. Also, some things were disorganized at times but managers would be willing to work together.

"Key Holder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paper Source part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really fun place to work

Cons

Difficult to move into upper management

Advice to Management

Promote from within!! You have several loyal employees who love Paper Source and want to progress in their careers. Don't discount your retail employees, I would have loved to stay but I could not move up so I had to find work elsewhere.

4. "Paper Source (Holiday Seasonal Position)"

Pros

The people you work with are super nice and are always willing to help you. The store was easy in the beginning to understand, etc. The manager always "chatted you in" so you knew the sales goal that day, how much made so far, etc.

Cons

People who mostly work there are older (late 20s +) so sometimes it get's difficult

"Nice enough for basic job"

I worked at Paper Source part-time

Pros

Co-workers were really friendly and creative, so it was a nice workplace attitude. Fortunately the company doesn't punish employees for low sales numbers, at least in my experience, which makes it easier to stay positive.

Cons

It's still a low-paying hourly wage retail job.

Jun 29, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you for your service with Paper Source!

"Great Team"

Current Employee - CSA in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSA in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

management is open for special projects

Cons

hard to advance, hours of operation make it hard to pick up more shifts

Jun 29, 2018 – Paper Source

We are glad you are on the team and appreciate your feedback! We are fortunate to have long term leaders within the organization and encourage growth and development within our teams.

"Slooooooooow Progress"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The whole vibe of the store is very appealing. People often ask if we are a pop-up shop or locally run and are usually surprised when we say we're a corporate chain. I really love my coworkers and consider them family. This job is a warm environment for me to recharge and perk up after rough weeks at school or home or life in general. My home life isn't the greatest, and it makes me extra grateful for a place like Paper Source to rejuvenate and conquer the other aspects of my life.

Cons

I've worked at Paper Source since Nov 2015. In my time here, I have come to the conclusion that this job works fairly well for students, those with other part time jobs, and those with greater sources of income that do not depend on this job but enjoy it in their spare time. Those of us who need this job as their primary money source will be disappointed unless they are an assistant store manager or the store manager.

CSAs are not respected the way they should be. The culture and atmosphere of the job and coworkers is simply wonderful: you are in an environment with friendly people, often in a friendly neighborhood, and you share so many interests with these people. On the corporate end of the spectrum, however, you do not receive the recognition and respect you deserve.

Take gift-wrapping, for example. Recently our gift-wrapping service has gotten a large price increase: $ 8 per box, an additional $ 8 for larger parcels, and the cost of any materials used. Patrons can be expected to pay anywhere from $ 16 - $ 30+ for a simple giftwrap. Does any of the money go to the CSA who wrapped the package? Of course not! The $ 8 service fee goes straight to Paper Source's pocket, even though the corporate bigwigs are nowhere near the store when the wrap is happening. Major thumbs down to that.

The custom printing situation at this company is a MESS. It's clunky, it's cumbersome, it's drawn out. Several appointments, emails, phone calls, and sometimes even transactions often have to be made to complete one single order. It takes weeks to receive an order, and God forbid you try to change quantity or add a new aspect to your purchase after printing/stamping/letterpressing/whatever has started. It's 2018 and the custom print methods here are stuck in the '90s, with all orders being handwritten, scanned, photocopied, and then some. And, of course, employees receive 0 commission, even from several-thousand-dollar orders.

I have worked nearly three years at this company and have never received a raise, an employee review, or a promotion. The only time my pay has changed was because New York State mandated it to. Hours are scarce and it's all thanks to corporate. They often make pay cuts to stores even when their sales numbers are making company history. Managers hire more and more CSAs even with our dinky payroll. People are unofficially delegated to certain roles whether they want them or not. If you're good at teaching classes, whether you like it or not, you'll likely be a workshop teacher and nothing more. Certain employees are expected to do certain things like custom print, heavy lifting, workshop/private party teaching, gift-wrapping, etc while others don't have to bat an eyelash.

Customer registry is stressed time and time again, but there is no motivation for customers to join our email list. I don't even get our emails because they are frequent, repetitive, and useless. They look pretty and that's about it. We rarely have sales, we don't have a rewards program, and we don't even have free shipping, so why should anyone get our emails?

I've often been teased about promotions, but nothing has ever come of it. My first manager wanted me to become a key holder, but my school schedule did not allow it. When I had more free time, he was unfortunately let go. We were left without a store manager for nearly an entire year. Our new manager finally arrived (a transfer from another store after over 9 months without a manager) and no promotions were put in place due to several budget cuts. After multiple shifts in management, transfers, promotions, whatever--we finally have a balanced management team that can allow for promotions and employee development. It only took 2 and a half years.

Advice to Management

You've had plenty of harsh reviews like this one. Take the criticism into consideration and put your employees at the forefront. WE run the stores, WE make the sales. If we are unhappy, your wallets will be unhappy. Maybe you'll give a crap then.

Jul 5, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. It is so important and helpful to receive employee feedback on what is working and how we can continue to improve our culture and processes as we grow as... More

"Shift Supervisor"

I have been working at Paper Source part-time

Pros

Great enthusiasm for the working atmosphere, and a very encouraging corporate family environment. Plus, the product and workshops are fantastic, and really generate a happy feeling for people who come into the store.

Cons

Under paid with a lot of work expected of the team, without any real benefits to non management employees. Selective rewards without an accurate tracking system beyond numbers, and some pretty obvious growing pains for a company striving to reach the top tier of retail.

Advice to Management

Have a way to review store managers beyond sales. Their attitude and experience effects the entire team, and it is important to listen to the sales associates on this matter. High turnover negates slightly above average sales.

Jun 29, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you for your input. We appreciate feedback on what is working and how we can continue to improve our culture and processes as we grow. We are glad you are on the Paper Source team!

9. "none"

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

good pay and easy going enviroment

Cons

place is very dirty, parking is terrible

Jun 29, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We will take your comments and share them with the team. Thank you for your service!

10. "Accounts Payable"

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Work schedule, benefits, and management listens to you

Cons

None, keep up the great work.

Apr 30, 2018 – Paper Source

Thank you for your feedback and service!