Paper Source Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Winnie Park

Pros
  • Great work environment that allows for maximum creativity of its employees with generous employee discounts (in 12 reviews)

• Supportive, creative environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Custom print orders were always a challenge working one on one with a customer (in 11 reviews)

• Associates are only available to be part-time (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Work Place"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training - company sets you up to succeed
    Excellent feedback and communication
    Growing company but still has that small family feel
    This is the first company I have worked for, where everyone is kind and friendly

Cons

There isn't anything I can think of at this time. If there are any concerns, it's just a phone call away.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Sep 16, 2016 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Great to hear. I agree..great support and team environment. We are so glad to see your leadership in our store and the positive impact you are making. We appreciate your leadership and passion.

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an environment where creativity is encouraged. I love my managers! I'm blessed that they are flexible. Our location is like a family. You get a 30% discount.

Cons

Very few hours are allotted per store for associates other than management. I have 6 hours this week and I work more than the other CSAs. Although we get a 30% discount, I can still find products cheaper online.

Advice to Management

Paper Source CSA's work hard! Please give us a better discount and more hours.

Mar 13, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

It is so great to hear the positive feedback around the creative culture and your management team- and I am sure the customer feels this when they walk into your store; we thank you for that passion ... More

"So much potential"

I worked at Paper Source full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company overall is growing and depending on the department they want to promote from within. They are open with sales and plan information which is helpful and really want to see you succeed. Teams begin to feel like family after a while and really care for each other.

Cons

No consistency between teams/departments. Some groups promote and encourage from within, others are completely stagnant and only bring in from the outside. Rewarding/celebrating individual or team accomplishments is spotty at best and completely inconsistent. Senior leadership either micromanages or lets people flounder and fail. There is no training, or advancement path for anyone outside of the stores. Inconsistency in pay with hourly and salaried staff. Hostile work environment situations are poorly handled by HR and in general HR doesn't stay consistent with their own policies and procedures. Exit interview and process poor at best and issues were not handled appropriately and still have open issues. Lack of communication across the board on all levels with lots of finger pointing instead of problem solving.

Advice to Management

Consistency and communication is key. Treat all employees with equal care and concern. Blatant disregard for difficult issues don't make the issues go away, handle them appropriately. Giving people the tools they need to succeed makes everyone succeed, letting someone fail for lack of training, resources, or information is a failure for the whole company and not always a reflection of someones poor performance. Invest in your people and they will return that investment tenfold. Expect more of your senior leadership in terms of actually leading, guiding and being role models, if they do not posses those qualities and skills you will have a hard time finding those qualities in those below.

Mar 17, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for your comments and your tenure. I am coming up on my 9 year mark here and have seen the company grow as you have. Unfortunately, this is a difficult forum to understand and discuss all ... More

5. "It's all about passion for the product!"

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

Great product assortment and services to offer.

Cons

Needs to work on what it's brand really means.

Mar 22, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback.

"Meh"

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pretty products, cool customers, discount

Cons

lack of company organization, horrible training program, no values

Mar 22, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

We certainly do have some great product, cool customers and a great discount- thank you for pointing that out, it feels really good to hear this feedback. As we continue to grow, we have made some ... More

7. "Customer Service Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paper Source part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with creative people, being a part of an enthusiastic team, interacting with overall happy customers and great product. Flexible hours! My store manager was really great and she put together a great team of management and associates.

Cons

Being a part timer is great for a college student. Unfortunately I couldn't keep up with my bills so I had to move on to another company that offered me more pay. I kept getting 8-12 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Phones! I had a supervisor who was constantly on her phone to check her social media, she wouldn't jump on the cashier on a busy day and it would delay our closing.

Mar 20, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thanks for the great feedback on your experience. I especially appreciate hearing about the store team. Great teams make for a rewarding experience both for the associate and the customer. I am sorry ... More

"Do Something Creative....Pay a Living wage"

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Customers and fun product
    Employees care about the company and their customers

Cons

The company decided to forgo raises this year; however, they seem to have the resources to open new stores. The few people that stay all year are rewarded by no merit raises and wait there is more..Hours will be cut too! A company with so many women at the top should understand the challenges of the women working in your stores. Pay your employees a living wage and stop screwing around with the hours. Mc Donalds pays #12.00 per hour where we live. Get creative in this tenuous retail environment. Let Paper source lead the way.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about the time constraints to execute the various tasks. It can take hours to build a wreath or make and hang a window display or refresh a table. The buyers need to get in the stores and walk the stockrooms and see some of the fails. Be more aggressive when taking markdowns and get rid of slow moving goods. Everyone seems scared to give any real feedback. Also, some of the product can be found at target or worse the grocery store. Also, it is not safe for employees to be alone in the store especially in a downtown area where there is not mall security: they are vulnerable and with the decrease in hours sometime there in one on the floor during breaks not to mention you obviously cannot ring the register and greet and assist customers. Doing floor sets while trying to ring and cover the floor is not ideal. extra hours should be allotted for major moves.it is not fair to the customer or the associate.

Mar 17, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You mention in your review that one of your concerns is voicing feedback. We certainly have avenues to share this both confidentially and with leadership and I ... More

"Company is not the same, and that's not a good thing"

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros include having the ability to close at a reasonable hour, exposure to really fun crafting techniques, nice co-workers, and good location of store.

Cons

Way too many last minute tasking that is "required" to be completed before the next day opening; useless weekly reSource that has grammatical errors (it's become a joke in our store to see how many we can find) and little information; ridiculous workshop expectations with little acknowledgement that not all stores have the same customer needs/wants; pay raise is laughable especially for employees who have consistently performed well and been with the company for several years

Advice to Management

It would be nice if management would reconsider future store openings and instead look at paying their employees the raises they deserve. Right now labor hours have been cut, but tasks and expectations have increased...all with no pay raise. But you say you appreciate the employees so much? This company is not who it used to be and it's not a good thing. Morale is low as CSA's are wanting to work more hours, and managers are stressed about having to do everything in the store.

Mar 13, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback. I have shared the Paper Resource concern immediately with our internal team. Unfortunately, the retail traffic trend is concerning for many retailers and Paper Source is ... More

10. "Work and Play!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paper Source part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still relatively inexperienced in the job world, I was incredibly grateful for the friendly staff atmosphere and "learn by example" methods. I was constantly encouraged by my managers and fellow staff to explore new projects and product knowledge. I gained crafting knowledge, product expertise, and learned how to engage customers in a pleasurable shopping experience.

Cons

The only possible downside to working in a craft store is lack of knowledge about the products. A general understanding of the store is provided and more details are learned through experience. But several crafting machines and products update and turnover quickly so having a proper background for the customers wasn't always possible.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to have occasional staff meetings/information on new products so each associate can be prepared for new projects and customer questions.

Feb 24, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Such a great review around the staff - love reading this feedback and most importantly the passion around the shopping experience. I am surprised on the product knowledge as we provide such great ... More

"crafting at its finest"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paper Source full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product and concept.

Cons

pay rate is terrible to hire qualified associate and keep them!

Advice to Management

Pay the people to keep them.

Feb 24, 2017 – Manager- Field Recruitment

Thanks for the feedback and happy to hear you love our product. The Paper Source concept is amazing and seeing our growth is so inspiring. Paper Source has done some great work on ensuring we are ... More