Paper Source Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Winnie Park

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Creative environment, great products (in 15 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, interesting products, employee discount (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • custom print (the amount of time and effort definitely calls for some form of commission-based compensation) (in 17 reviews)

• Not offering benefits for those who work part-time (in 16 reviews)

1. "Loved the creative atmosphere"

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

Leader in creativity and market trends

Cons

Retail hours aren’t always preferred

2. "Sales Associate Seasonal"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people! and kids with curious minds wondering throughout
    the store!
    Great team members and management staff!
    An amazing place to be creative!
    Management is always supportive!
    The company gives bonuses!

Cons

Not offering benefits for those who work part-time.
    The pay is decent but could pay a bit more.

3. "Customer Service Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Paper Source part-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, interesting products, employee discount

Cons

Salary, management, rigidity, lack of training

Advice to Management

Appreciate your part time employees!

4. "Store Manager"

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

I loved working with the great products. The visuals and floor sets were always fun to create. You really do get to do something creative everyday even as a store manager. They have an annual meeting for all the store managers in Chicago.

Cons

Holiday hours were long (to be expected in retail). It was sometimes challenging to manage staffing as the majority of the staff is part-time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to work on creating a career path for store managers to grow with the company.

5. "Assistant manager"

Pros

Loved it-- amazing people with inspiring creatuvity

Cons

Under paid and too much asked from part time help

Advice to Management

Keep the communication going! Great leadership

6. "Typical Retail"

I have been working at Paper Source full-time

Pros

Paper Source can be a really fun place to work. The staff are generally creative unique people and that gives it a certain kind of flair. This is also a fairly creative place to work and teaching your customers to be creative can be really rewarding as well.

Cons

As the company grows, they have cut hours with higher pressures on staff to complete tasks. Also, depending on the general manager, you may be well trained and empowered or the complete opposite.

Advice to Management

Train your general managers to empower their staff and be great leaders.

7. "Creativity in Retail a Big Plus"

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Paper Source part-time

Pros

Coworkers can really make or break a job experience, and my coworkers have been the best! We bonded quickly and have so much fun at work that it quite often doesn't even feel like work. I love the opportunity to show people new crafting products and the ability to use my creative skills in a retail environment.

Cons

It being part-time and retail, it's nearly impossible to rely on a consistent schedule or even a schedule more than a week in advance. Even though it's a creative environment, there are so many creative restrictions when it comes to making samples and teaching workshops. Little room for creative exploration outside of the specified curriculum.

"Will anything ever change?"

I worked at Paper Source full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paper Source designs are pretty and it's still the best paper out there.

Cons

It feels like no progress was made to help stores run better. The company needs to streamline the way the stores operate. They ask us to be customer focused. However, the amount of manual work that needs to be done (window builds, floorsets, workshops, ENTIRE custom print process) just to operate overrides the customer's experience.
    It's often confusing to know what to focus on... helping customer's in a way that makes them want to buy more... or making sure a stockroom is spotless clean on top of recutting window vinyl (on slow machines that must be manned by an associate) because communication was last minute and often times, incomplete.
    Yes, we realize that operations are important. We just wish the company would do more to make the process of operating easier. It's very archaic and doesn't seem that attention has been given to the processes.

Advice to Management

It's sad that a lot of great people have left the company. We feel like there is no clear direction because clear change has not happened. That has left many of the associates (still working there) feeling hopeless because they cant trust that anything will get better.

Please hire store and regional managers that are nice. Big egos and talking down to people do not make good leaders, nor do ones that hardly work. It is surprising to a lot of associates that Paper Source has a few like that working for them. The RM's and SM's that sincerely put people first are always the ones we look up to. People work for people. Treat people right. And corporate should act quickly on the bad ones.

Make it easy for the stores to pay attention to the customers. PS doors are open for customers. That is how we make our sales plan. It is crazy that PS doesnt realize that it's the customer that matters - NOT how clean a stock room is!

Get rid of the old product (cant you open an outlet store??) Its the same stuff for years! The new product is beautiful - but when you add it to a store that is already packed with thousands of other items that have been there for years, the allure is gone. The store is hard to shop in - customers get overwhelmed! Paper Source is not a Michael's. We are so much smaller than that, but the walls and tables look like we have as much product as they do! PS paper is the BEST out there - but is overshadowed by everything else going on in the store.

Thank you and good luck to all the good people still left.

"Marketing"

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful product, inspiring content, great people!

Cons

Some of the systems are old but are now getting improved with technology upgrades

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (More than a year)

Pros

So crafty!
    The locations allow you to meet tons of great people
    Attracts artists, crafters, and doggies on walks
    Unique workshops and classes
    Your job entails more than just being a cashier, but this can also be a bad thing

Cons

The pay does not account for all the other duties one may have to do, such as:
    - custom print (the amount of time and effort definitely calls for some form of commission-based compensation)
    - teaching workshops (oftentimes a small handful of employees are the main workshop teachers while others have never taught a single one; this plus the new $ 50 workshop fee should be more than enough to pay teachers extra for the classes they teach, which they are often volunteered for rather than asked)
    - giftwrapping, which is a $ 6 charge to customers but the money doesn't go to the employee who wrapped. wtf?
    - inventory, stocking, and heavy lifting, though that is included in the job description as a requirement (while the first two aren't!)

Hours can be very scarce and corporate has taken it upon themselves multiple times to reduce the amount of hours given to a store while also failing to provide merit-based raises (cutting our budget) OR not enforcing to the store managers that merit-based raises are mandatory after a certain amount of time worked (I have worked here since Nov 2015 and have not received a single raise or employee review besides the increase of minimum wage).

There is little training for custom print and, again, no commission for placing orders no matter how many hours or shifts one has worked to complete said order. One of my coworkers consistently places orders for $ 800+ and spends several hours, phone calls, emails, and even uses her personal time to communicate with the custom print headquarters and the customers but still makes minimum wage.

Certain employees are expected to teach workshops with little to no notice in advance. I also feel that certain employees rarely receive shifts unless they are for teaching a workshop. Workshops / private parties can include over 10 guests, which goes beyond the limit of only 8 participants, and oftentimes they are young children and only one employee to wrangle them all while keeping track of time and teaching the material at hand. It's very unfair and, again, there are employees who have not taught a single workshop while you are made to teach several a month despite your wishes of toning down your number of classes.

Gift wrapping costs $ 6+, but the money goes straight to Paper Source's pocket, not the employee who actually wrapped the gift. This makes no sense, moral or otherwise, as a human is doing the wrapping and should be paid for their service. It does not get added onto your paycheck, so there is no compensation fo doing a giftwrap, no matter how large or cumbersome the package is. If you're lucky, a very generous customer may give you a couple dollars as a tip, but that's it.

There is an (annoying) emphasis on customer registry, even though the interface has changed and makes it more difficult to enroll customers onto our email list. Many times customers simply don't want to get our emails, which is beyond our control, but employees are reprimanded anyway if their registry numbers are low.

Advice to Management

Paper Source (at least my location) has been consistently improving sales over the past year, but we are rewarded with significant hour cuts and no raises for 16+ months. My store has gone through several management changes in the past two years as well: the first manager was unfortunately too unorganized or perhaps lazy and did not complete reviews for any employee, giving us no raises. The second was very proactive, but because of corporate decisions, we are not allotted raises, making it almost 2 full years with no wage increases for any employee, especially the ones who need it more than others (the full-time workers making only $ 11 or $ 13/hr! they have rent to pay and I feel so bad that they are making such poor pay). Corporate is unattached to the life of an hourly worker and does not seem to understand how to properly allot hours based on the number of employees. This job is very enjoyable on the surface, but many many many of my coworkers have quit due to the lack of hours, benefits, or proper compensation for the work they are expected to do, especially the work that was not mentioned on the job application or even during the interviews.