Perks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Jeff Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place to work"

Pros

This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

There are no cons to be listed.

Advice to Management

No advice to be given.

2. "VP"

I worked at Perks full-time

Pros

Hard working and smart people. Channel technology second to none

Cons

Technology in developmental stages for solutions outside of Channel.

3. "LA Perks"

Former Employee - Technician in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Technician in Sparks, NV

I worked at Perks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay great benefits

Cons

Behavior by management sometimes borders on the harassment sife

Advice to Management

Change the culture starting with behavior from team leafs

Dec 21, 2016 – VP, Marketing

It would appear that this review is not for our company 'Perks'. There are other companies with perks in the name. We don't have anyone with the role technician and we don't have anyone located in... More

4. "Cool place to work at."

I have been working at Perks full-time

Pros

Growing company, exciting growth opportunities for employees

Cons

None that I can think about

Dec 4, 2015 – VP, Marketing

Glad to hear that you like it here.

5. "perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Perks (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice place to work at

Cons

none that i know of

Advice to Management

stay

"Fun, Motivating, Challenging, Family Environment. Perks lives up to their name."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Perks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks has done a great job to establish a fun, motivating and challenging workplace. What stuck out to me from Day 1 is that everyone there seems like family, and back biting is practically non-existent. I've been very pleased to become a part of that family! The size of Perks employee base and office space help you feel connected to your coworkers and makes communication a breeze. The CEO works out of the Little Rock location (as do a majority of the employees) and is very down-to-earth. He's not intimidating to speak to and regularly mixes it up with the rest of us. It's extremely easy to walk into your manager's office at any time to get help or ask questions. Work can be challenging and you're always working on something different, but that is a refreshing change from the mundane day-to-day at most businesses. The company culture is one that is very helpful. Camaraderie is the word that comes to mind. Everyone behaves like they know and support that we're all in this together.

Some other Perks Pros:
    -Ample Vacation time
    -Standard business hours
    -Great pay
    -Great incentives (We are compensated for business ideas, peer-to-peer recognition, employee-of-the-quarter, employee referrals, social media interactions, etc.)
    -HAPPY HOUR! (Sometimes we shut it down an hour early on Fridays to boost office morale and camaraderie at a local brewery)
    -Endearing coworkers (seriously, you'd love these people)
    -Accessible management
    -Opportunities for advancement
    -Perks sponsored fun activities (Field Day, Horse Races, and this year we have a lake day planned)
    -Casual dress (I'm not even sure that we have a dress code)
    -Work in the nice part of downtown LR (lots of food places you can walk to, great for afternoon walks, safe)
    -Profit Sharing (not a guarantee, but we've received it for the last 2 years that I've known about it)
    -Competitive healthcare costs
    -Access to the roof (which has a great view, and chairs, and a grill!)
    -Fantastic work/life balance!

I laugh, everyday. I learn something neat about a coworker, everyday. I have opportunities to help the people around me, everyday. I leave work feeling fulfilled and I don't dread coming back each morning.

Cons

As great as Perks is, everywhere has it's cons. Luckily for Perks, they're few and far between. Some of us are required to track our hours, which often feels like a chore for me. I understand the purpose behind it, I would just prefer that I didn't have to do it. We've been growing lately and our work space is beginning to feel cramped. It's becoming difficult to secure a conference room for conference calls/meetings. If we add one more employee I seriously don't think we have another desk for them to sit at.

I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to think of more cons, but that's all I could come up with!

Advice to Management

Managers should take more departmental meetings off-site. We've got a great roof, a park across the street next to Acxiom, Riverfront Park, Andina's, etc. Let's take advantage of those spaces for some of our weekly meetings!

Bring remote employees in to the LR office more often. We get to visit with them so rarely, it would be nice to have more opportunities to work with them face-to-face and help build those relationships.

"Perfect for me and my family"

Current Employee - Developer in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Developer in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Perks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks had been a really great place to work for the past 4 years. The pay is really competitive and so are the benefits. It's a small company so it has flexibility that larger companies don't. We are always growing and the future looks very secure. I almost never work late (1-3 times per year) and I always get to make it up by taking some extra time off. The atmosphere is the best part. Is a very positive and fun place to work. I'm very happy.

Cons

It's still work. We aren't allowed to work from home which is kind of backward since we are a tech firm and easily could.

Advice to Management

It would be awesome to be able to work remote once a week.

"Best employer I had worked for to date, great coworkers, relaxed environment. But..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Perks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Review Title (continued):
    Best employer I had worked for to date, great coworkers, relaxed environment. But there were a couple of very serious employment/compensation/benefits related mistakes Perks made (at my expense) that should have been resolved by the company ASAP but instead I was told "sorry man, don't know what to tell you". I had to pay (in personal income lost) a few times as a consequence for mistakes Perks made. That sort of dumping responsibility for company mistakes onto your employees must not only be stopped but turned around 180degress if Perks is to truly deserve their employee-centric image. The image is an illusion if, when push comes to shove, a company will screw over its employees by failing to honor commitments simply because it can get away with it. So...A few big changes in the way Perks treats and interacts with their employees, and some changes in how they resolve certain problems or handle employee course correction and especially mistakes in employee compensation/benefit information (big problems for sure, but only in a few particular/narrow types of situations- for the most part Perks employees have it very good). A few major corrections and Perks would really be on it's way to the next level, or at least be an excellent example to other businesses. More on addressing the problem areas to follow.

Pros:
    Relaxed environment, very casual dress, lots of collaboration, very talented and committed team, multiple fun team building days per year (field day, horse races, bowling, etc.) Company very respectful of after hours/personal/family time (expects 35-40hrs per week the majority of the time with the rare all nighter, maybe once a year, when absolutely necessary). Very friendly work environment with great coworkers willing to work together to get things done. Most people would happily pitch in to help others outside of their jobs responsibilities as needed. Probably the best group of people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Small company by count of employees, bosses and owner were devs during Perks infancy and early years and naturally some early devs moved into "leadership" roles that only seemed to fit them regarding their technical expertise, skill, company knowledge, and years of experience with Perks' systems and solutions (but perhaps weren't the best fit in terms of being a supervisor). Being a small company there were virtually no clear expectations. Some expectations changed without notice. Supervisors have a hard time clearly communicating with employees when there were concerns. No formal procedures, no official documentation, no clear expectations on how to resolve issues, etc. Very much a "from the hip", play it by feel management style. Processes made up on the fly for each situation and never reused the same twice. It's very frustrating not knowing what is expected of you, or when there is an issue, or what resolving that looks like according to your supervisor. Breeds a lot of frustration and needless turmoil/turnover where clarity and communication through procedures clearly established up front could have resolved matters quickly and effectively.

Advice to Management

Setup a process for correcting concerns with an employees performance that are very clear, with clear expectations. This = solving the problem, this = so-so, this = some specific action being taken. Don't sling around words like "on probation" or "written-up" to cover up mistakes made by management and start using them in an official manner and under predefined conditions (not based on feel or mood). One employee should not be "put on probation" for a simple honest mistake just because it really upset the owner while another employee makes a serious error without any recourse. Probations, reviews, and write ups are tools meant to clearly communicate to an employee a concern or issue that his or her supervisor wishes to see resolved. They also serve as employment yellow lights- letting an employee know there is an issue that must be resolved in a satisfactory manner to continue his or her employment and good standing (and clearly defines what is seen as satisfactory resolution, gives a time table, etc.).

Also, avoid changing the rules, expectations, commitments, payouts, etc. where employee rewards programs are concerned. It may seem like honest course correction but it comes across to Perks employees as greed and dishonesty. Treat internal employee rewards like an external client- adjudicate quickly and pay as promised. Take the time to create a very clear employee packet for benefits, bonuses, etc. Again- an area too open to manipulation and dishonesty (even if only in appearance). HR manager said very clearly that 401k was 100% match to 4% once a year (matching the last year) and had no vesting period. After a year I discovered it was a 50% match up to 4% (2%) and there was a vesting period. That is a failure to make good on an agreement. It leaves an employee shorted potentially thousands of dollars and committed to a program they can't leave and take all of their investment with them as was understood when the decision to participate was made. In short, it's stealing from your employee by forcing them to be responsible for company mistakes or inadequacies in clear documentation.
    It doesn't matter if you let go of the employee who was in that position- that does not absolve the company of responsibility for what a former employee did on Perks behalf during their employment. And it certainly should not expect current employees to pay for the mistakes of others. Employees don't choose predecessors or coworkers, company management does. If they aren't given clear instruction then management made a mistake either in choosing the employee or in failing to be clear. Absent any clear and readily accessible documentation and fine print such a one-person "HR department" is for all intents and purposes the official voice for Perks on employee benefit and compensation matters. Their information is a commitment on behalf of Perks and should be honored as such. If they aren't getting their information right that is a separate issue between management and that employee and should have no bearing on other employees. Employees make benefit election decisions based on the information given and assume it is honest and accurate and will be upheld. Expectations are sensibly set at this point and should be met. If the information given is in error it is NOT acceptable to shrug and say "that's not right, he/she was wrong about that" and expect the employee to eat the consequences for a mistake outside of their area of responsibility. An employee shouldn't be penalized for receiving bad information from those in charge. This is a simple matter of taking responsibility for mistakes and owning the consequences. Pushing off the fallout on the victim of the mistake is a terrible way to treat employees. And again, commitments were made and not upheld. And a dollar figure can be put to these broken agreements. That is very unethical and could be fairly called stealing from your employees. A business couldn't operate if clients decided post delivery of products and services to pay what they felt like paying as opposed to what was agreed upon upfront. Or say that they didn't know a former company leader approved and signed off on the sale. This, too, is theft. It's unethical, it's very bad for image of integrity in the world of Capitalism. A deal is a deal as it was originally agreed upon- you don't change the agreement on a whim after the ink has dried. Don't do to your employees what you'd not tolerate from a business client. Honor your commitments and expect others to honor theirs, even if it costs you. If the business made an error then the business should pay the price for it. It should eat its own mistakes, even if the mistake was made in who management chose to hire for certain positions. Or in lack of clarity given to that overseer. Leadership is always responsible. When a business expects others to suffer the consequences of mistakes it is responsible for it creates by example a culture that says "don't pay for your own mistakes if you can push the consequences off on others". That's not a culture any business wants to cultivate in their employees.

Also, pay bonuses on time. Commit to a time frame and stick to it. When it comes to employee compensation everything should be crystal clear and should not be changed mid stream or delayed. Set a clear cutoff date for when someone must still be employed to receive their bonus pay from the previous year (ideally December 31 of that previous year). This tells your employees that you valued what they actually did for the company during a given time frame- it's compensation for employees valuable contributions. Or even better, prorate such bonuses for employees who leave during the course of the year. Most companies don't do that, but most companies is probably not the goal. The goal is to be the best. The best businesses will necessarily have the best employees, and the best employees will gravitate towards companies that show them respect and appreciation by going the extra mile. As opposed to cutting the race short when an employee is leaving or being let go- such circumstances shouldn't create an excuse for the company to withhold compensation for previous contributions long since contributed, and certainly not on the basis of "if you're still here when we get around to paying out bonuses, be that February or December". Timeliness in delivery, clarity on qualifying and how bonuses are calculated, and doing what what you say you'll do where an employees' compensation or benefits are concerned says volumes and generates top notch employee-employer relationships. It manufacturers loyalty and commitment. A business that does right by it's employees, that goes above and beyond, is a business who's employees will do the same for the business. The business ultimately wins in the long run when it takes care of its employees honestly, openly, clearly, and in a timely manner. Very late payment, unclear structuring or determination of amounts, repeated delays and missed deadlines, etc. bespeak that the company isn't concerned about how it effects the lives of its employees. It makes it ok to repeatedly fail to live up to commitments. The primary reason an employee works is to earn a living and no business should forget that. Lack of concern about your employees' living is as good as saying "we don't care about you beyond what you contribute and how it benefits us." Employees tend to respond to such treatment in kind, right or wrong.

In short, treat employees the way you'd like for them to treat your business. If you want them to own their mistakes, take responsibility, and do what it takes to fix them then the business should do likewise. If it costs the business, so be it. Eat it, learn from it, fix it going forward. A company that shows it cares about it's employees by taking responsibility for company mistakes that effect its employees is a top notch business. A business exists to make money and should strive to do so but never at the expense of doing what is right; never by cutting corners. Employees will go the extra mile an employer they respect and trust implicitly to do right by them. Absent that trust and irreproachable character an environment of "looking out for number 1" develops to the detriment of everyone involved.

"Nice Place"

Pros

Everyone is nice and welcoming.

Cons

Needed more strategic planning in place.

10. "Business Development"

I have been working at Perks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are passionate about their jobs and the team work attitude is refreshing. The company has a very active employee recognition program that re-enforces the supportive atmosphere present within the company.

Cons

As with any growing company of this size, sometimes it's a plus to be smaller and flexible company but sometimes it can be slightly restrictive. Though growing pains are temporary and essentially to getting the comany to the next level!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and momentum! Nothing is out of reach...go for it!

Dec 4, 2015 – VP, Marketing