Pinterest Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann
Ben Silbermann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is whatever you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

• There are a lot of problems to solve and a lot of smart people to learn from (in 8 reviews)

1. "Partner Manager"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Best office culture in ad sales in Chicago

Cons

There really aren't any cons

Advice to Management

Keep the culture as we grow

2. "Pinterest Employment"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is good

Cons

- Decisions by consensus, even though we're small

Advice to Management

- Less layers of ownership
    - Empower people to make decisions quickly

"Meh."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible PTO policy.
    - Good medical/dental/other benefits.
    - The product has incredible untapped potential.
    - There are a lot of smart, friendly people here.
    - The executive team is starting to resemble a group of mature professionals.
    - No micromanagement.
    - Work/life balance is whatever you want it to be.

---
    Obviously, YMMV depending on what team you're on and what you do, but my day-to-day work experience is generally positive. I don't work with a bunch of a**holes, I get to work on things that I enjoy, and I don't have anyone breathing down my neck to kill myself in the name of artificial deadlines. For junior engineers, Pinterest seems to be a pretty good place to be. There are a lot of problems to solve and a lot of smart people to learn from.

However, more senior people who come in are struck by some of the stupid engineering decisions that were made in the early days of the company and the complete inertia that seems to surround the notion of changing these things. It also seems that people who have only been here a year or less are still drinking the kool-aid, but the longer you stay, the more you start to wonder about the emperor's wardrobe.

Whether or not Pinterest is a good choice for YOU depends very much on what is important to you in a job. If you just want a place to come hang out for a few years, do some work and collect your paycheck, and maybe learn a few things along the way, you can do that here. If you've still got that idealist fire in your eyes and you want to go work on something special, or if you want to go somewhere that you can make a big impact, think twice before you come here. It might work out for you, but you might also end up very disappointed.

Cons

- Very average base pay, no bonuses.
    - No 401k match.
    - Codebase is drowning in technical debt.
    - CEO is an amateur who has outlived his usefulness.
    - Some engineering teams are perpetually understaffed and others get all the love.
    - Overall product / company direction sometimes feels like a boat without a rudder.
    - Too much focus on doing things that look good on the surface but lack real impact.

---
    Most of the executive team has been replaced with industry veterans over the past couple of years, but we still have a CEO who is learning on the job and who is eventually going to become the albatross around Pinterest's neck. The other reviews which talk about how he can't handle criticism are all spot-on; he does a fine job of coming across as a genuine, caring individual, but all of that goes out the window if you disagree with him. If Pinterest is to have any chance to become all of the things that he says that it can be, Ben needs to step aside and let a more professional captain run the ship.

I'd like to be more positive about Pinterest, but the fact is that so many people here just seem to be going through the motions for one reason or another that any lingering effects there might have been from drinking that cup of kool-aid when I started working here have long since worn off. Outside of a few small teams, there's not much technical innovation going on, engineering direction is always changing, and it really has gone from something to be excited about to just another job, which means there's no longer anything special about Pinterest that separates it from any of the hundreds of other companies in the bay area that an engineer could work for. It's a job. It pays the rent.

It should serve as a wake-up call to management that every quarter, the percentage of engineers that expect to still be working at the company 12 months from now keeps going down. Yet nothing seems to change.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter, nobody is listening. Besides, there has been so much upheaval in 2017 that further changes in the short term are probably just going to make things worse. A lot of people were hired in 2015, and the 3-year mark seems to be when people start getting restless and looking elsewhere, so if you're not careful, 2018 may end up being a very rough year.

"Not a lot of enthusiasm for the product"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

- Flexible PTO
    - Fun events like KnitCon, an internal conference where employees teach each other
    - I believe the product has huge potential
    - Folks are generally nice

Cons

- Many employees, particularly engineers, don't use the product at all and aren't passionate about it
    - Horrible on call; 100+ pages in a week, little interest from team and management in trying to improve the process
    - Interteam efforts end up being a game of hot potato, with no one taking initiative on ownership and essential work just not getting done

Advice to Management

Work on making the fundamentals better in engineering. Make sure that employees are working on projects that are likely to have meaningful impact for pinners.

"The mess goes to the top."

I worked at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Nice people, good environment, some teams seem great.

Cons

Meetings at the C level tend to be the worst, they have leaders with no experience and have grown way too quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop, establish an infrastructure for business, then proceed.

"Best first few months I could ever imagine"

Current Employee - Partnerships in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partnerships in New York, NY

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people are so nice it makes my friends outside work look like terrible people. It's seriously the friendliest crew I've ever seen.
    -The product itself is very uniquely situated in the ad tech/ publisher world and has a promising trajectory.
    -The offices (NYC and SF) are works of art. There is something very "Pinterest" about the design philosophy. Also Pinterest seems to have a pathological obsession with artsy staircases.
    -The work life balance is amazing. Coming from a smaller, more startup-y company, it's a little weird. Sometime I look around at 5:30 and there is almost nobody left in the office.
    -They feed us and the food is seriously top notch.
    -The employees here have all sorts of backgrounds, some relevant and some not, but they all have one thing in common: they are super smart.
    -The upper management really cares about their employees. It's surprising how far out of their way they go to make sure their DR's are happy and fulfilled.
    -The founders are seriously good dudes. They aren't just good at their jobs; they are genuinely kind and honest. It comes through in their tone, their actions, and the way other speak about them.

Cons

-A couple days a week, we run out of avocados.

Advice to Management

-Keep doing you.

7. "great culture"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As Pinterest has matured as a business, it has become more focused on profitability and execution, but at the same time retained a very friendly and warm culture.

Cons

There are really no negatives to speak of, aside from the fact that sometimes people can be "too nice" at the expense of ensuring scalable and robust engineering systems.

8. "Great"

Pros

Great culture, talented coworkers, competitive salary

Cons

parts of code base are messy

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Really enjoy the exciting projects everyday

Cons

cannot think of anything particularly concerning

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits, flexible work hours

Cons

Changes in depts and managers is frequent and there are a host of new managers which can be a huge pain point