Pinterest Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann
Ben Silbermann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is whatever you want it to be" (in 25 reviews)

• "Flexible PTO, and great perks (our chefs randomly leave treats like creme brulee and smoothies around the office)" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing now and isn't as small as it was during my internship" (in 12 reviews)

• "Growing pains of getting bigger" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Partner Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales, great company, flexible schedule

Cons

Have to prospect. Haven't grasped how to use a lead gen network.

"Nice people but lacks dynamism"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Plenty of very smart and nice people
    Great benefits and convenient office location
    Good work life balance
    Amazingly tasty yet healthy cuisine served daily
    Pre-IPO with tons of upside potential
    Low hanging opportunities everywhere for anyone to come in and make an impact
    The internal tools for employees are some of the best I have seen compared to other tech companies

Cons

The politics on the ads product team is discouraging. Even though one of the focus is to grow the ads business, there is so much time and effort wasted on politicking instead of fixing the glaring issues with the ad product. Every team is trying to protect their “territory”.

The rate of shipping new changes is one of the slowest compared to the other big and small tech companies I have worked at.

The ads product is barely industry standard, the people actually building it have little to no advertising experience and yet they don’t want people meddling in their backlog.

Everything important to building a real ads business is 6-18 months out. It really has to change, else the business will run into serious issues.

There has been some reshuffling on the team recently but the general attitude doesn’t seem to have changed.

In general, overall, many of the managers need to be better trained to focus on career path conversations and ensuring the well-being of their teams.

Advice to Management

Fix the ads product team - put your most talented resources on it asap and hire experienced ad engineers and PMs if you really want the Pinterest business to grow exponentially. It’s in a critical phase now.

3. "Glad to work at a mission-driven tech company that values its people"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company values, diverse workplace and a really thoughtful team that prioritizes its users.

Cons

Honestly, I don't have a lot to put here.

"Monetization / Ads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Unique and inspiring culture that focuses on creativity, building new skills and experiences and really celebrating individuality
    - You'll never work for a company where users love the product more; Pinners LOVE Pinterest
    - Opportunity to focus on the bleeding edge in the space (ads, consumer product, design, etc.), everyday
    - Urban campus setup. All the benefits of a large tech company, conveniently next to CalTrain / in SoMa.

Cons

For context, via consulting / FTE roles I have worked at over 15 companies in a 10 year career.

Pinterest was, by far, the most political, disorganized and lost organization I've ever encountered. My comments are more for the Ads team, than the core experience group--but each week/month/quarter brought an endless stream of reorganizations, reprioritizations and re-buzzwords. It's a product that has a very clear fit and need within the marketing landscape--but is forever mired in internal resource fights, personality clashes and confusion. One day you're chasing what Facebook just did, the next what Google just did, the next what we talked about 6 months ago but no one can seem to remember.

Every week starts out with identifying organizational misalignments. And rather than spend your week building toward something. Thinking about where to go next. You'd spend your week fire-fighting the crisis of the day. If you're looking to expel a lot of energy managing political cycles that never seem to go anywhere, this is the place for you.

I learned more in two years at Pinterest than I did anywhere else--It was one of the most diverse and challenging roles in my life. But I'll probably look at it as the worse epoch in my career. When I worked there, every time I interacted with another alum--they'd always start with, "Is it still crazy?"

My answer was always Yes.

5. "An amazing work environment"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

Extremely friendly staff; transparent recruitment, hiring, and onboard; amazing perks

Cons

Accepting your fate as a tech worker forever due to the golden handcuffs

6. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start-up style, a lot of works to do and good for self-improving

Cons

Not sure about the future of company. Not good 401k policy.

"a unique company definitely worth joining"

Current Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

perfect size of a company for you to make impact as big as you want
    very interesting product to work on
    smart and genuinely kind people
    good work life balance

Cons

data tooling can be a pain...
    a good amount of product basics to be fixed

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It's surprising, but their tech is probably one of the cleanest and innovative I've come across. Everyone is very talented
    - Good career growth
    - Nice amenities and culture.
    - Diverse
    - Good hiring bar
    - Good work life balance
    - management is transparent. CEO is very active with everyone

Cons

- I left because it wasn't a product I enjoyed using personally. It appeals to specific kinds of people
    - apparently there were a lot of politics going on but I wasn't aware or affected by it
    - not sure where this company will go
    - co-founding team are still relatively inexperienced

"Meh."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible PTO policy.
    - Good medical/dental/other benefits.
    - The product has incredible untapped potential.
    - There are a lot of smart, friendly people here.
    - The executive team is starting to resemble a group of mature professionals.
    - No micromanagement.
    - Work/life balance is whatever you want it to be.

---
    Obviously, YMMV depending on what team you're on and what you do, but my day-to-day work experience is generally positive. I don't work with a bunch of a**holes, I get to work on things that I enjoy, and I don't have anyone breathing down my neck to kill myself in the name of artificial deadlines. For junior engineers, Pinterest seems to be a pretty good place to be. There are a lot of problems to solve and a lot of smart people to learn from.

However, more senior people who come in are struck by some of the stupid engineering decisions that were made in the early days of the company and the complete inertia that seems to surround the notion of changing these things. It also seems that people who have only been here a year or less are still drinking the kool-aid, but the longer you stay, the more you start to wonder about the emperor's wardrobe.

Whether or not Pinterest is a good choice for YOU depends very much on what is important to you in a job. If you just want a place to come hang out for a few years, do some work and collect your paycheck, and maybe learn a few things along the way, you can do that here. If you've still got that idealist fire in your eyes and you want to go work on something special, or if you want to go somewhere that you can make a big impact, think twice before you come here. It might work out for you, but you might also end up very disappointed.

Cons

- Very average base pay, no bonuses.
    - No 401k match.
    - Codebase is drowning in technical debt.
    - CEO is an amateur who has outlived his usefulness.
    - Some engineering teams are perpetually understaffed and others get all the love.
    - Overall product / company direction sometimes feels like a boat without a rudder.
    - Too much focus on doing things that look good on the surface but lack real impact.

---
    Most of the executive team has been replaced with industry veterans over the past couple of years, but we still have a CEO who is learning on the job and who is eventually going to become the albatross around Pinterest's neck. The other reviews which talk about how he can't handle criticism are all spot-on; he does a fine job of coming across as a genuine, caring individual, but all of that goes out the window if you disagree with him. If Pinterest is to have any chance to become all of the things that he says that it can be, Ben needs to step aside and let a more professional captain run the ship.

I'd like to be more positive about Pinterest, but the fact is that so many people here just seem to be going through the motions for one reason or another that any lingering effects there might have been from drinking that cup of kool-aid when I started working here have long since worn off. Outside of a few small teams, there's not much technical innovation going on, engineering direction is always changing, and it really has gone from something to be excited about to just another job, which means there's no longer anything special about Pinterest that separates it from any of the hundreds of other companies in the bay area that an engineer could work for. It's a job. It pays the rent.

It should serve as a wake-up call to management that every quarter, the percentage of engineers that expect to still be working at the company 12 months from now keeps going down. Yet nothing seems to change.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter, nobody is listening. Besides, there has been so much upheaval in 2017 that further changes in the short term are probably just going to make things worse. A lot of people were hired in 2015, and the 3-year mark seems to be when people start getting restless and looking elsewhere, so if you're not careful, 2018 may end up being a very rough year.

"Not a lot of enthusiasm for the product"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

- Flexible PTO
    - Fun events like KnitCon, an internal conference where employees teach each other
    - I believe the product has huge potential
    - Folks are generally nice

Cons

- Many employees, particularly engineers, don't use the product at all and aren't passionate about it
    - Horrible on call; 100+ pages in a week, little interest from team and management in trying to improve the process
    - Interteam efforts end up being a game of hot potato, with no one taking initiative on ownership and essential work just not getting done

Advice to Management

Work on making the fundamentals better in engineering. Make sure that employees are working on projects that are likely to have meaningful impact for pinners.