PowerMyLearning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Elisabeth Stock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Inspiring and Committed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at PowerMyLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best jobs I have had. We are doing some very exciting work in building relationships among educators and families to support students. The people are amazing, and the organization has invested in the tools technology and processes to make this happen. The organization is poised to change the national conversation about what really matters in education.

Cons

It would be great to have an org-wide meeting of all staff every year or two. That way we could meet staff in person from other regions and build those working cross-regional relationships to be even stronger.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on what you are doing -- building out the best solutions for schools to support educators and families together so that they can help students succeed.

2. "Zero Management"

I have been working at PowerMyLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People really believe in the mission.

Cons

There is zero transparency about the business goals of the organization.
    There is zero communication between different "departments".
    Everyone is a director of something, but there is no real direction.
    There is no real management structure within the organization, only titles. No project managers, which leads to chaos.

Advice to Management

Hire and respect managers of your people and your products.

3. "Great place to work if you need additional pay!"

I have been working at PowerMyLearning part-time

Pros

Great staff team! Flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes your schedule may shift last minute, may have to commute far to other borroughs

4. "Good Part-time Experience"

I worked at PowerMyLearning part-time

Pros

I worked here quite awhile ago when there was an LA office. I enjoyed the work and the people at CFY were great to work with. Going to different sites kept things interesting and different each time.

Cons

There can be quite a bit of driving involved as a Family Trainer.

"Strong organization that cares about employees"

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at PowerMyLearning. My supervisor and her supervisor are very supportive and the organization consistently goes out of its way to provide me with professional development and growth opporrunities. They also have upgraded a range of technology and are always open to new ideas. I also really appreciate the deeply shared commitment to teachers and families.

Cons

I don't have any major cons, but I do wish we could have more videos and stories about what we do because I see the impact of our work when I am in schools -- and I wish even more people knew about us!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good organization and keep hiring carefully as we grow! We have a great culture.

"I love this company and the pay is excellent"

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at PowerMyLearning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the training's were super fun and the hiring manager is super chill and she is very easy to talk to. Their office is located in the arts district in Los Angeles and i have never been there but after i went for my interview i started walking around and i fell in love.

Cons

I live in the San Fernando Valley and the training were all the way in downtown LA so it was a long drive for me but it was worth it. Its also a hassle to find street parking but the parking lot right next to the building charges 15 bucks but PowerMyLearning validates it and you only pay 5 dollars

"Amazing organization, highly recommend"

Current Employee - Blended Learning Specialist
    Current Employee - Blended Learning Specialist

I have been working at PowerMyLearning full-time

Pros

This has been a great organization for me. My teammates are very committed to our work, and we are working on some important areas of social equity - particularly focusing on kids and their parents and teachers in high-poverty schools. Very positive supportive work-culture. The President is actively involved in making sure everyone has the tools and professional development weneed to innovate and do our work. I don't know the CEO that well but she seems like she is thoughtful about how our work has to evolve- not just a founder mentality. I love the new HR director. So overall very good.

Cons

The only tough part of the job is that the schools we work with are disadvantaged, which is why we do this work, but it can be tough seeing kids from these circumstances with all the odds stacked against them. And the new administration is not going to bmake anything easier for them.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your teams and staying focused on our mission together. We all know that the society is not doing what is needed for these kids and families, but we can start a movement to do that.

8. "Was Great"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at PowerMyLearning (More than a year)

Pros

Young, Vibrant Culture
    Lots of Energy
    Very connected to families and students served
    I really appreciated this as my first NP job in NYC and it was a great supportive place from which to grow

Cons

Grant-Funded program ended
    Re-Branding very often
    High Staff Turnover
    Working really early on Saturday mornings gets old pretty quickly

Advice to Management

Keep hiring young and talented people and try to keep them along!
    The mission of the organization is great, continue to communicate the vision and changes for direction that you'll lead it in the future.

"Mixed Bag"

I worked at PowerMyLearning full-time

Pros

Employees are given creative freedom but not support to ultimately enact creative approaches to old problems. Leadership is too conservative for big game-changing efforts, though that is what they claim to want to see in the staff.

Cons

Health insurance is prohibitively expensive, passive-aggressive leadership styles stifle innovative efforts, this is not a place to grow skills.

Advice to Management

Admit what you do not know.

10. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Blended Learning Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Blended Learning Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PowerMyLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team. Wonderful mission and organization. Significant impact in communities with low income.

Cons

Slim chance to increase salary range.