Prometheus Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Prometheus Research Reviews

Updated February 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leon Rozenblit, J.D., Ph.D.

1. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ambiance, Flexibility, Vision and the Fast pace growth

Cons

No Paid maternity/paternity leave, Average Pay

"I enjoyed my time there...for the most part"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New Haven, CT

I worked at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with a few great coworkers. The senior technical staff were all wonderful people. The company is small, fast paced, and the customers were all pretty good.

Cons

It's obvious that the senior executives are all out of their depth. One executive in particular was a total clown. The company struggles to make a profit on projects. The software was constantly rewritten and did not perform well because HTSQL is an unnecessary abstraction layer that slows things down. Prometheus pays well below industry average for technical positions.

Advice to Management

Revamp your sales team. Charge what things are worth. Get htsql out of the core app and use sql like the rest of the world.

3. "Really talented and caring group working on some exceptional projects"

Current Employee - Connecticut in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Connecticut in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really think some of the negative reviews aren't from actual employees because the information provided just isn't true. It is a small to medium sized company and we mostly all know each other and know what others are working on.

Starting with the Management Team: These are really smart people without large egos. They are thoughtful and they really listen: to each other, to our customers, to the staff. They are open to and embrace change. They are willing to reassess and make changes, keeping the company light on our feet and flexible. These people really know their stuff and don't try to be something they are not. The CEO is very accessible and easy to talk to. He listens and he cares.

These people are also very practical. Their goal is to do the best work possible for our clients with an eye towards future growth in both product scope and services delivered.

The management team appreciates and acknowledges great work and they give credit where credit is due.

The staff here are talented, smart, nerdy, fun, and super nice. We work hard but we also know how to balance what is important. I really feel everyone supports each other, which I haven't found at other companies. And the group that works here is very diverse.

The company provides exceptional training for both on-boarding and continued growth. They have a weekly learning lunch to share knowledge about projects, products, personal growth, and general information. We have a great work at home policy and having flextime to support our families.

The company is growing and there are many new business opportunities available.

The clients we have do exceptional and interesting work. It is nice to work on projects that aren't about making money but about helping people live better lives.

Cons

Is it perfect? Nowhere is perfect. The company is growing, which is great, but that means growing pains. About 1/4-1/3 of our staff aren't located in New Haven, which creates some issues, but honestly, the company handles that very well.

The pay could be better. The hours can be long at times as it is at any smallish company. But if you are the type that is able to draw the line to keep your life in balance, you'll be fine. Some upper management is keenly aware of the staff dedication and step in when people are over-extended.

Advice to Management

Make sure to reach out to all staff and ask how they are doing and for their opinion. Don't just assume that things are going well and everyone is happy. You have some really great people and some work very hard. Make sure the same few people are shouldering the bulk of the burden while others are coasting along. Look for more ways to foster communication and morale. Provide time for the people in New Haven to get together and socialize. That kind of thing is very important to short and long term job satisfaction. Snacks are great; talking to each other is much more valuable.

5. "Good company with lots of opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fully stocked kitchen with unlimited food, coffee and tea
    2. No Dress code
    3. Very relaxed and informal work environment

Cons

None yet but may be the staff is very inexperienced and fresh out of schools so a training needs to be enhanced

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on planning

6. "Great people doing challenging and important work"

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance (typical weeks are 40-45 hours)
    People are mostly really nice, smart, and easy going
    The work is interesting and meaningful
    Good opportunities to advance
    Relatively flat structure with collaborative teams
    Remote work options for most employees

Cons

HR painful to work with
    Comp lower than market (but hours are lower too)

Advice to Management

Ask your employees how they're feeling and what they think you should change.

"Nothing sadder than a bunch of mediocre people trying hard to be cool"

Current Employee - Data/Business Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Data/Business Analyst in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are just out of college and can't find another $50K/yr job, take this because you will learn so much about what not to do at your next job. If you are a consultant with nothing to offer looking to be overpaid by a company that desperately wants to pretend to be a big, cool dog, then seek out a contract here. Company swarming with consultants, hanger-onners, and remote staff taking an undeserved salary: you could be one of them!

Cons

Terrible leadership, no knowledge or understanding of management or organizational psychology (which is ironic, considering CEO somehow got a diploma in psychology). Senior staff bathing in groupthink and this will be their ultimate demise, to which they've been painfully dragging themselves since they opened. You will be expected to clock in 60+ hours and pretend that it's cool not to have a life. Perks and job nowhere near the level that would justify such dedication. Company prefers people with zero experience because leadership is not confident (or educated) enough to manage experienced employees. Senior staff don't respect each other and constantly talk behind each other's backs. If you leave or get fired, expect them to make jokes and disparaging comments about you in meetings.

Company has been stagnant for years since they pushed out the only senior staff with actual development knowledge. IT company run by non IT people. Don't let the bin client names fool you, no real new contracts in years, just small potatoes here and there. Top 2 people have no clue about marketing, business development, or software, they're just playing business. COO who is in charge of largest department is a try-hard megalomaniac with no previous experience, who thinks calling his personal biases "company culture" justifies his disdain for any other opinion. People have tried to help them along the way, but since they think anyone who disagrees is either not intelligent or capable, the company will eventually die the slow corporate death they've been dying for years.

Bad HR practices, shady, and no structure. Lots of mistakes in communication from HR and daily operations (finance, administrative, office management). Super high turnover, very demoralizing. Questionable ethical practices in all areas, including client billing. Negative work environment; uneven pay; preference for promoting young women; zero work-life balance; poor pay; demoralizing meetings; coercive atmosphere; incompetent senior staff; lack of self-awareness; no real future for the company.

July 7 review is pathetically obvious.

"Very good experience overall"

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the people I get to work with, and (most of) the clients are very appreciative. Everyone's smart and generally keeps their cool, even when things change or a fire starts. I'm not sure where other reviewers are getting their information, but everyone I've worked with has been professional and has always put the needs of the clients first. Yes, this is small company, and the management team could do a much better job of facilitating orderly changes to technology and processes ... but this is also consulting and IT company, so I think there's always going to be an element of instability (unless you're working in someplace big and boring). The work itself ranges from occasionally tedious to brag at the bar to your friends how cool it is. It's also pretty nice that the work can be traced to actually helping science and people.

Cons

This place can get hectic. As I said, fires do start, sometimes big ones. When they do though, everyone keeps their calm and puts them out. Management talks about improvements on this front, but they've been slow coming. If they actually gave everyone the time they need to focus, we'd go from good to great, and a lot of the small issues would evaporate.

Advice to Management

See above. Come through on the promises about efficiency and time to focus, and I'll have no problem giving Prometheus 5 stars. Unlike some reviewers, I like hearing about new clients and opportunities, so please don't stop. Some of the recent things I've heard about are actually exciting, and would keep me here for a while.

"Still figuring out what they are doing -- Amateur directors"

Current Employee - Business Analyst/Data Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst/Data Analyst in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kitchen is full of food
    Free Parking in downtown New Haven

Cons

No proper documentation for new hires
    Amateur directors
    misleading job description
    no standard way to do things
    Still figuring out how to do things so if you are new and thinking someone will help you then forget it
    you have to have 40 billing hours a week and 50 hour work week
    high cost of living in northeast , however very poor compensation especially for 50 hour work week

Advice to Management

If you are hiring for help desk position then please don't call it data analyst position
    Data Management is not same as providing help desk support
    Have proper on boarding process

"Incompetent and Unprofessional Management Staff"

Current Employee - Web Developer in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and parking!! NOTHING ELSE!!

Cons

Terrible compensation, free food because taking lunch is frowned upon by management, negative working environment, HR of no assistance, sloppy work, lazy and unprofessional IT and BDev staff, lack of training, inexperienced staff and new hires, client privacy a major issue/concern, staff is told to do things the "Prometheus way" also known as the wrong way of doing things, markets are constantly changing, backstabbing and "walking on pins and needles" environment, IT staff is unable to complete projects in a timely fashion or adhere to deadlines. I am looking forward to leaving this poor excuse for a company. They are always hiring because no one wants to work there!

Advice to Management

Hold your IT and BDev management staff accountable for the terrible job they are doing, offer a real training program, and stress professionalism and client privacy. HIPAA compliance is NOT being followed.

11. "Fabulous team of highly intelligent and talented people who enjoy helping clients make the world a better place."

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time

Pros

The management team are smart, open-minded, and supportive. The staff are an energetic, fun, talented, hard-working, and diverse group. The business is growing through thoughtful and strategic planning, fueled by detailed research. The clients are people who work hard with passion to help people and improve the world around them. The people and the work make this a very satisfying place to be every day.

Cons

The company is small but growing at a measured pace, adding only the best people. This means that sometimes there is a lot to do. But management listens and does what it can to make sure people don't get burned out or feel overburdened. This is not the place to work if you are not self-directed and motivated. Laziness and sloppy work will stick out like a sore thumb here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Make sure to leave time in your schedule to be available to everyone on the team, because the people working here care. The more the company grows, the more your time will become more scarce for those impromptu conversations that make a small company special.