Proterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Proterra Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2019

Found 43 reviews

3.6
Proterra CEO Ryan Popple (no image)
Ryan Popple
Pros
  • "Great people and a great environment(in 5 reviews)

• "There are a lot of great people who work here, the people who actually build the buses and turn the wrenches(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you don't like fast-paced with something new each day don't apply(in 3 reviews)

• "Internal politics, bullying, no work life balance, no values, all part of company culture(in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - AFTERMARKET PARTS in Greenville, SC

I worked at Proterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are some of the smartest, nice, and hardworking people. Great coworkers. Great attitude. Great customer service. Truly a company with a great mission statement, cutting edge technology, and a team effort. The company is delivering an innovative product that is transforming the future of transportation. Senior management has greatly improved over the past five years.

Cons

People are frequently late to meetings, meetings are held without an agenda. No training or future development path. Hard to gage overall company performance.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring quality people. Scale the company smart. Change the meeting culture. Don't put the cart in front of the horse and Proterra is going to be successful.

Proterra2019-08-05

"Proterra has Integrity, Work-Life Balance, and a great Mission!"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Proterra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Proterra's mission to make and deploy incredible electric vehicle technology that reduce emissions from heavy duty transportation - made in the USA- is great. Excellent Work-life balance and values. Best of all are the people who work at Proterra. Smart, accomplished yet humble people with tons of integrity. This culture starts at the top with a dream executive team of CEO Ryan, Chief Commercial officer... Matt, CFO Amy, Chief Legal JoAnn and this integrity permeates throughout the company. Arrogant, know it all folks need not apply since you won't fit in. Bright talented women who are self starters and like working on a team in a company where your brains, expertise and ability to get along with others will be appreciated should apply. Rockstar engineering team here for both battery and charging technology. Super bright but also very nice folks here! Good Operations and customer service teams here as well. Location in SF Bay area is right near Millbrae BART and Caltrain station and free parking for those driving. For those looking at the factory in Greenville, SC, it is a beautiful city with a vibrant downtown. For those in LA, the factory there is spacious and the local team is super nice.

Cons

Could do more social, team building events during and outside work hours.

Proterra2019-07-23

"Such a disappointment"

Former Employee - Professional

I worked at Proterra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Executive leadership with good intentions, committed to delivering an amazing product, in high demand all across the country.

Cons

Hiring individuals in leadership positions who don't have the company's or the people's best interest in mind. The bureaucracy within the middle-management is disappointing, to say the least, and really difficult to watch. So much potential, but no moral compass.

Advice to Management

To lead the people, walk behind them -Lao Tzu

Proterra2019-06-24
  4. "Fast Paced Company"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Proterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting product and always something new

Cons

often overloaded with work at times

Proterra2019-05-15

"Proterra needs reshaping"

I worked at Proterra full-time

Pros

- mission-driven company - still startup feel

Cons

- IT is a mess - Production will be a mess in the long run

Advice to Management

some toxic people inside the company still

Proterra2018-07-10

"Baseless company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Proterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent product, good engineering staff (for most part of it), some really good employees.

Cons

No strong fundamentals for good manufacturing, a lot of fakeness from certain management folks, less than qualified people on some higher roles, a lot of buddy-buddy.

Advice to Management

Focus on people and long term manufacturability, and not just on short term # gain.

Proterra2018-07-27

"Manufactruing Engineer Intern"

I worked at Proterra

Pros

Very Competitive pay, great learning environment with many experienced engineers.

Cons

The plant is not the greatest work environment, it was often dirty and not air conditioned.

Proterra2018-03-24

"Good engineering experience"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Proterra full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is the future of transportation. There is a lot of new tech that you become familiarized with. Colleagues are supportive. Lot of new challenges

Cons

To further up your career is tough. You can learn a lot being an engineer but thats what you would be doing throughout. Maynot be a long term position as engineers are always replaceable.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to convey the needs to the engineers more precisely and give the ample time so new solutions are found.

Proterra2017-07-16

October 12, 2017VP - Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that our product and technology are the future of transportation. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding career progression. Our Engineers are an important part of our organization. Earlier this year, we rolled out a new career-path progression program within our Engineering departments. We are in the process of rolling out a company-wide program this Fall. We listened to our employees regarding career progression and feel that we are putting in place a world-class program that will help build career paths for years to come. As a company we’re growing. That growth provides opportunity for career and personal growth as well. The two should not be mutually exclusive.

"Great People, Great Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Proterra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and exciting late stage start-up with game changing technology, making a real difference in the transit industry. Team members are supportive of one another and have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the direction of a small company.

Cons

Many new challenges regularly, not a place for those with a low tolerance for ambiguity.

Proterra2017-04-18

October 12, 2017VP - Human Resources

Response: Thank you for your feedback. Proterra is making a real difference in the transit industry. We strive for a team oriented environment and we are happy to hear that your team members are supportive. For sure, there will be ambiguity at times. It’s part of the challenge of being a late-stage startup, especially in a company that is essentially creating a new industry! As we grow and mature as a company it offers an excellent opportunity for us to learn. But, we need input from as many team members as we can get. We will succeed through continual improvement of all parts of the company, especially with programs and systems for our staff.

"Internal Problems"

Former Employee - Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Proterra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic work place. Lots of different systems to work with and can be very hands on. Many of the people working here are hard workers and team players. The company has a clear future but is also flirting with not succeeding.

Cons

Sales are made whether a product exists or not and engineers are left to slap together something. Employees are not valued as they are typically discarded and replaced. No career advancements available with in the company. Every section of Proterra is understaffed..

Advice to Management

More focus needs to be placed fostering long term employees. Employee growth is the first place to start. Many engineers have no loyalty to the company as upper management has said time and time again all are replaceable.

Proterra2017-04-06

October 12, 2017VP - Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. This is an exciting time, with Proterra featuring new product launches and increased sales. The environment is very fast-paced and we move quickly to stay ahead of our competitors. Our employees are the biggest part of our success at Proterra and are valued. We apologize that you did not experience that during your tenure with the company. In more recent months, we have been putting in place a career-path progression program in Engineering and will be rolling out a larger program to the entire organization this Fall. We have also been successful in promoting individual contributors to first time management roles and continue to look for opportunities to grow our employees. Growth fuels opportunity of all kinds including personal growth.

Found 43 reviews