Pure Fishing Reviews | Glassdoor

John Doerr

1. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - National Marketing Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - National Marketing Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Pure Fishing (More than 3 years)

Pros

great Canadian Team - great team atmosphere

Cons

In transition - parent company restruturing

Advice to Management

focus more on happy employees

"Great Company until Newell acquisition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC

I worked at Pure Fishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leader in Fishing & Tackle, Successful and profitable

Cons

No longer an independent company and owned by Newell. Company has been ripped apart and the Newell organization has no respect for people or talent; just the bottom line. Insider's game only.

"Good work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Pure Fishing has a good work culture. They encourage a laid back work environment with casual dress attire. There are many company functions to get coworkers together. They even organized company fishing outings this past summer to encourage coworkers fishing.

Cons

There are not as many resources as a larger corporation.

"Any Brand team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Pure Fishing (More than a year)

Pros

Jarden and Newell product discounts are very good. you can get products for wholesale pricing.

Cons

If you enjoy working in a state of fear that you are going to be terminated, this is the place for you. Since I have been employed with the company I have seen about 40+ people terminated by the company within one year. A big layoff typically happens a week after Thanksgiving and right before Christmas. I literally had a Sr. Manager tell me once that “it’s not a matter of IF, it is a matter of When”

I also witnessed about 10+ people leave at their own will. Most people leave because of the terrible work life balance, demanding work expectations, and low compensation. Everything feels like a fire drill. Eventually, you get used to working at this extreme pace and after a while it burns you out.

In terms of compensation, you can have the exact same job title as someone else but that individual could be making 20k more than you. There is not a pay scale standard. It is all over the place.

In the beginning I loved my job but it took about a year until I started feeling that the work environment was very negative. Many people openly gossip about each other. I have never seen anything like it in a professional work environment. It felt like high school. The moment a person walks out of a room, someone will say something terrible about how the individual just handled the situation or make fun of their personality. I was constantly paranoid about what was being said about myself. Also, a lot of people cuss openly during a professional conversation.

There are some amazing people who work there that are very nice and not everyone gossips or makes fun of others. But as a whole, the dynamic of the office is very strange and not welcoming. For example, you can walk past someone in the hall and they will look down at the floor and avoid eye contact instead of exchanging a simple hello. Or a person will act as if they do not know you even though you have been working on the same floor with them for years.

There is also a bonus program. You can only collect this bonus if your job title says manager. It is great when your making your morning coffee and over hear someone speaking openly about how “amazing the 17% bonus was this year” not knowing that you did not get to participate in it. I understand that you need to be a manager to collect this bonus but maybe people shouldn't talk about it so openly. It only made me feel like I was being cheated and triggered me to want to leave.

A lot of people take this job thinking it is going to be "great". “I am going to fish all the time” but the reality is it is quite the opposite.

Advice to Management

it is hard to give advice because they are not going to change. I simply wanted to state some of my experiences here so that maybe someone new coming in will know what questions to ask or maybe notice the things I didn't notice when I was being interviewed. Even though my experience was not great it doesn't mean yours will be.

"Negotiate Salary Upfront"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Pure Fishing (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the coworkers are great to work with. Company discounts are awesome.

Cons

Compensation is way below average, so are medical benefits. There is a bonus plan but it's hush hush and only certain coworkers receive it. The company itself isn't transparent and you don't feel aware of what is going on until after it is put in place. Raises are very rare so be sure to negotiate upfront, there are a lot of false promises for increasing salary based on yearly reviews, but it's the standard 1%-3.5% merit/cost of living increase.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better & give them a better path to grow into higher positions.

7. "Great bunch of coworkers ... poor management"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, SC

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with, Working conditions are very good with a nice building. Camaraderie is excellent.

Cons

Very low raises. Some coworkers, doing the same job, are on the 'bonus' plan and some are not. If they decide they want to 'get rid' of you, they will 'do away with your position' then back fill by creating a new position changing only a small parameter of the job description.

Advice to Management

Live up to your tenet about investing in your employees. Give decent raises and work with loyal employees to improve and/or move to different positions rather that doing away with their position and bringing in new lower wage employees.

8. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Excellent group of people to work with. High performance team.

Cons

Healthcare benefits are below average

"A production worker currently embarrassed to say I work here."

Current Employee - Production in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Production in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pure Fishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits. Great shift schedule. Clean facility. Company is proactive in correcting safety issues. I am lucky to say I work next to a great group of hard working coworkers.

Cons

Poor management. Poor communication throughout this company. Horrible office politics. Too many chiefs. Issues with our processes are swept under the rug & ignored due to the fact that none of the leadership team are fit to find improvements. This hurts quality, efficiency, not to mention morale. Pay is the same for everyone no matter how much or how little you do. Give coworkers pay incentives or opportunity to earn more vacation. NOT A TEE SHIRT! Humans Resources current moto is, "These days you are lucky you even have a job. If you don't like it, there's the door!" This company acts like it doesn't have any money to spend on monthly perks for a job well done. Management bullies people to the point they quit, so staffing is stretched too thin.

Advice to Management

Poor Attitude reflects Poor Leadership! For starters, stop highering drug dealers as managers. Send your entire management team (including HR) to a seminar to learn how to treat people with respect. Stop bullying people. In my opinion, Newell Rubbermaid needs to wipe out all management & start with a clean slate.

"Oder Puller"

Former Employee - Order Puller in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great. Insurance policies especially dental.

Cons

You work almost every weekend from the end of February to the begining of July, and from the end of November until just after the first of the year. With little to no advanced warning. Chances of being promoted from within are small. And finally the pay raises are around 20 to 30 cents per year.

Advice to Management

Don't post a position in house, and then turm around and hire outside the company.

"Very large corp. disguised as fishing tackle company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Pure Fishing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good tuition reimbursement, good discounts on outdoor products, ability to learn a lot about consumer goods business if you are in the right department

Cons

Constantly restructuring, most of the company management positions are a revolving door. The upper level managers salaries are very dependent on bonus, so they will do whatever it takes to make the numbers look correct at the end of year. You are an asset and will be treated like one. The moral around the office is not too high on a regular basis due to constant changes in positions, and trying to run the business super lean. I don't think they have a good handle on how to manage so many brands at once that compete with each other in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Reduce the size of your management. Increase the salaries for your lower level employees, and hire some more quality workers (they usually are not the cheapest), If there is a natural disaster in our area, be a little sympathetic to the your workers. You really showed your true colors this year during the flood.