Purity Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ric Kostick

Pros
  • great products, 50% off discount (in 7 reviews)

• They do tend to be a little weary of new people, they are all rescues who have unfortunately came victim to animal cruelty (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management definitely has favorites, and it's quite obvious who they are (in 8 reviews)

• t know any better and will take the low pay - then work these people extremely hard and wonder why things aren (in 3 reviews)

"Great mission"

Current Employee - Inventory in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* great causes: healthier beauty products; environmentally responsible/ sustainable; compassion towards animals; high quality products; great culture

Cons

Sometimes I'm so busy that I can't keep up w my work and I'm flooded with unimportant meetings that are time suckers.

Advice to Management

Is it really necessary for everyone to be in all those meetings?

2. "I love my job!"

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

I love this company and feel proud to be a part of an organization that helps our planet, helps to end animal cruelty, doesn't test on animals, doesn't use toxins and produces very good, quality products. I love working here because I feel I make a big impact in the company as well as the causes I care deeply about. I am vegan and an animal lover so I'm thankful to be a part of company that is furthering helping animals.

Cons

Why do you serve meat at the company functions when you're a vegan company?

Advice to Management

Thanks for what you do for animals but please keep that commitment to helping animals even when you're ordering food for the company.

3. "Entitlement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Today, my friends are all working because they don't get Presidents day off but I'm at home, enjoying free (PAID) time off so I'm pretty thankful to Purity for great perks, for all the PTO (which I've never gotten from my other jobs), all the health benefits, the great financial incentives (retirement and share in profits), etc. This company does a lot for the environment (planted millions of trees, 100% solar powered, recycled packaging) and does a lot to help animals (donated over a million dollars to help needy animals) so in general, I am a huge fan of this company and feel proud to work here.

Cons

The only negative thing about this company is that I feel the management is not strict enough. I see too many people getting way with too much and it's not fair. The worst thing about this company is the caliber of the people working there. I am very driven and ambitious and want to work with like minded people. So, to push me further - I may need to join a company that has a culture of people that works hard and takes business seriously.

Advice to Management

Hire a better, higher caliber of people.

5. "Great experience but lacks drive"

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

I used to work at 100% Pure and didn't realize how great of a company it was until I left. 100% Pure was the first (professional) job I ever had so I didn't have anything to compare it against until I started working for a competitor in San Francisco. Now that I've had enough experience, I can give my honest opinion. First, 100% Pure products are insanely good. Second, it's really an overall, an amazing company. At my current job, I'm getting paid the same but I'm working on average 20 hours more per week and it's harder since the company is located in San Francisco and the rent is so much higher. The biggest take away from working at Pure is that every voice matters. Now, at my new job - I never get to do any of the big things I got to do at Pure and my voice doesn't matter. My current company cares only about the bottom line profit whereas Pure is altruistic and cares about helping others, helping animals and helping the environment. I never thought it would matter this much, it's more fulfilling to work for more than just my salary, but contributing to a bigger cause than my own livelihood.

Cons

I really disliked how relaxed the culture was. I witnessed around 10 people spending all day brewing organic beer. The customer service team skipped a work day to have an outing at Disneyland. The tech team left to Lake Tahoe. Although it may of been fun, I dislike how unprofessional / undriven the culture is. I dislike that they put fun as a priority over business. I left for that reason. I want to work with a team, culture that is driven and motivated.

Advice to Management

A players like to work with A players.

"My honest opinion"

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

1) The founders / leaders CARE very much about helping humanity; their commitment to producing healthy, clean cosmetics is impressive and unwavering since it's a known fact that chemicals are flooded in cosmetics so I admire that they're on a mission to help people and minimize chemicals in the market. They are young and don't have a lot of business experience since from what I understand, they started the company out of college but I admire their mission and what they're doing to help people.

2) I love animals and appreciate all the good will they spread by helping animals.

3) For me personally, I like the location because it's close to my residence and I find it easy to commute (close to the freeway). Another great perk about the location is lots of dining options.

4) Great team. There are a few sour apples which is common in every work place but overall, I love the team.

5) Above average salary for my job specific title; 401K; profit sharing; good health benefits and most importantly, great career growth opportunities.

5) FREE PRODUCTS! We get tons of free products because they give away all the new products!

I'm on this website because I recently got a job offer by another company and I am researching their culture before I give Pure my resignation notice. I noticed Pure has a lot of bad reviews and I wanted to give my honest, first hand experience.

Cons

1) The leaders are young and lack experience so it took way too long for them to part ways with one very disruptive employee who managed a team that offended a lot of people. I feel this should have taken care of many, many months ago. The fact that they took so long made me question why they allow such disruptive behavior persist for a long time. This made me lost a lot of respect and trust in the management.

2) The HR specialist speaks firmly to the team. I think the HR is supposed to be the advocate for the employees but when there's such harsh language from the HR team, I don't feel protected or cared for.

3) The team / manager I work under takes too long to make decisions and it always feels like we're putting out fires so it feels very unorganized.

Advice to Management

If there's someone who's disruptive and hurtful to the other employees, please don't look the other way and act quick because one rotten apple can really ruin the whole bunch quickly.

"Sales Associate"

Pros

Amazing discount!
    Chill work environment
    Company has good ethics

Cons

Disorganized
    No training in terms of make up application or sales
    They hire their friends who have no experience in cosmetics, sales or management and then wonder why their business is barely thriving

Advice to Management

Hire people who are passionate about non toxic cosmetics and health As well as customer service and sales!!! Can't have one with out the other, no favoritism.

""Trump-ish, not pure place""

Current Employee - Middle Management in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the products are really great, and do work, and are an affordable luxury. Store's and Brand Ambassadors know the products. Great place to buff up on your basic Mandarin.

Cons

HR is predatory, and engages in many illegal practices. Like obstructing work between employees and direct supervisors, secret reports, and not providing info on 401K access or raises. Make sure that you get paid, (employees expenses,contractors, vendors and misc. partners get stiffed regularly. Absurd, work-leave sick policy, where no one is trusted to go to the MD's.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, and go your three separate ways--everyone will be better off. Founders should stop bringing in boy-friends/girlfriends into the company or on major projects. Understand who your "natural-minimalist" customer really is and don't discontinue ( w/o having replacements ) great products that they cherish.

"Working at Purity"

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great people work there. An excellent product for people into all natural skincare.Can be a fun place to start a career? Get your experience and get out.

Cons

Management is out of control. There are three owners. While they try to show an united front, they often end up sending you in three direction. Human Resources is a awful. HR does not have experience in HR and thinks you can manage the workforce by more and more ridiculous rules.

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in the product, and I use everything I sell.

Cons

Growing pains still exist. Marketing department needs to be more thorough before sending things out.

Advice to Management

Keep your top performers and those that love the job. The Store Director is awesome. Get more cohesiveness with the corporate departments.

11. "100% Pure Retail"

Pros

- get free samples of new products to try
    - commission on sales
    - selling quality products to great customers

Cons

- not a lot of training on customer interaction (like applying make up and product facts)
    - manager not always on site to help with upset customers
    - sometimes working store by yourself