Purity Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Ric Kostick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with great products (in 10 reviews)

• Working at 100% pure for me has been a wonderful experience (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We are no longer allowed to even think about contacting the executives and we must follow the "chain of command (in 5 reviews)

• EXTREMELY low pay - but they insist they are competitive (in 3 reviews)

1. "Inspiring company and founders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left graduate school and moved all the way to San Jose because I believe so much in the founders' visions. I was looking for a position in companies like PopSugar but ultimately decided to come work with Susie after seeing her passion for a natural and cruelty-free lifestyle. I love it when the CEO and founders actually practice the ideals that their company is advocating for. Susie is a creative genius who also has a really big heart for the whole world. She really cares about her employees and always makes sure they get what they want out of their career.

I have been mostly working in marketing but I always have an idea of what's going on in product development and other areas. Love 100% Pure's transparency with their employees, as well as in their fantastic natural products. I really feel like a part of the team here, and I hope to stay on board for even longer.

Cons

None! Keep up the great work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positivity!

2. "Great place to be"

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products and I enjoy my responsibilities. Everyone in the company always seems to be satisfied by what they're doing, and I feel the same. Perks are a plus.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. "Nice place to work, management needs improvement."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Torrance, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself is not complicated, the products are great and it is easy to meet your daily goal. The commission could be higher but it's nice to have.

Cons

They do not give enough hours. They are afraid you will qualify for insurance so they keep you between 25-27 and get upset if you work somewhere else as well.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with your employees' schedules if you won't give them full time.

"Products over Employees"

Former Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hiring standards are not high
    - Disorganized and unstructured allows for lax work processes, allowing you to take many responsibilities and become senior fast.
    - Management plays favorites, allowing remote work and sometimes disproportional salaries
    - Not cut throat. There are nice people working here

Cons

- Concerning the 2nd pro point, management will not recognize hard working individuals. Hence you will be stuck with your agreed pay if you don't know anyone
    - To add on there's no structure or guidance. You will be thrown in the deep end and will be reviewed rather than helped
    - Founders have their small cohort that create a lot of gossip. Sometimes people close to her will ask you a loaded question that can come back to you.
    - Unprofessional environment: some departments drink beer, go on "business trips", bring their spouses into meetings, and try to hook up with one another.
    - Like previous reviews HR is unhelpful and predatory. With ANYONE do not think there's an open door policy.
    - High turnover for a company where you can meet everyone in a small room.
    - Management is focused on turning out new products with no QC, it repeatedly happens. Instead relying too much with our "high standards" that is alibaba

Advice to Management

There's a million books on management and soft skills. Considering buying and filling a book case.

5. "Know What You Want"

Former Employee - Senior Executive in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Executive in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get basic work experience in beauty if you know what you need to learn or make progress. Some products are great Kelp & Mint Shampoo, under eye masks etc. Nice newly remodeled offices.

Cons

Can be a bit disorganized, but if you know what you want out of a position that's not a major issue, as good performers will be given more work and responsibilities.

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Great Company with a great atmosphere, great culture, great products, great leaders. I'm happy to be working at a company that makes products that are healthy for people and a company that helps so many animals. I also love all the great perks like tons of gratis (free products), great health / retirement / profit sharing benefits that are better than most companies.

Cons

I would like to see a more robust culture that worked harder and was more challenged. If there's not enough to do, the team will get bored.

Advice to Management

Perhaps really embrace the "do more with less".

7. "Great company"

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Great company with great products! Im happy to work at a company that makes non toxic cosmetics and help instead of hurt people animals and the environment.

Cons

Non motivated team that does the minimum

Advice to Management

Challenge your team more

8. "Fantastic company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm very happy at this company. Nowhere is 100% perfect but I love this company because of the great products we all work hard to produce and promote because I know it's better for people and I know they're doing a lot of good for the environment, animals, and most importantly, helping humans be healthier. There's a lot of great perks and I'm happy with the treatment I receive from the managers, executives and the pay is is also a lot better than average market rate.

Cons

It's very, very busy here. But I like the rapid growth I'm seeing the company going through. But for some, it might be too fast paced of an environment.

Advice to Management

I am interested in wearing multiple hats and enjoy the variety of experience so please don't be so strict with segregating / specializing the work.

9. "Awesome company!"

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, great pay, generous discounts, tons of free products (gratis), a generous profit sharing program, contribution to 401k / retirement, really good insurance that covers my fertility treatments (previous company offered bare bone insurance and pure's insurance is much, much better). I am very happy to be a part of company that not only makes women feel better about themselves but a company that produces healthy products that aren't full of toxins and a company that uses solar energy and helps animals. It's a really great company to be a part of, I love it here! I'm always getting recruited by other companies because I got the best experience and am doing important work that makes a huge impact on the company but I'm very happy at 100% Pure and am very loyal to the brand, executives and the mission.

Cons

It's an open office space and sometimes it gets loud and I can't concentrate.

Advice to Management

Please communicate more with your team and give us more updates!

"Amazing mentor"

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

As I was perusing the reviews, I was shocked that someone reviewed Susie negatively. It's true that she's quirky, eccentric, unique but I like to think of her as a creative genius. Working with her as her assistant, I got to see first hand how compassionate, kind and generous she is. She was an amazing mentor that challenged me to be the best that I could be and helped me think outside the box. I got to learn how she thinks which is a very different way than most people but her creative thinking process is quite genius. Working with her taught me a lot and it was a plan from the beginning that I'd venture off elsewhere to round out my professional experience and she was extremely supportive through my next career move. Working with Susie directly impressed all the other competitors that I interviewed with and helped me cultivate the necessary skills to be a game changer in the beauty industry. After it all, our master plan is for me to come back and help build the company's mission. Besides Susie, I loved working for the other 2 founders whom are both light hearted and also very kind and generous. I do miss working with them and hope that after I gain more experience, my plan is to go back to help their mission.

Cons

Again, Susie is a creative genius so she's 100% right brained which means she lacks organization, commitment, promptness and structure. I love her but she's a bit naive and clueless with real life. So for me, it was great to work with her but I can see that she's not a good fit for anyone who needs structure. Be prepared to get pulled in 100's of different directions; she's also very indecisive so that can drove me mad at times.

Advice to Management

Make a decision and stick to it and don't deviate in a hundred different directions.