Quill Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sergio Pereira

Pros
  • great customers, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, customer focused, lean and mean so can get things done easily (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • To many politics in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• account managers who are out-earned by new hires (in 4 reviews)

1. "Inside Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training good, product knowledge stressed and decent mentoring

Cons

none that present come to mind

Advice to Management

Healthy group of experienced professionals

2. "Small company feel with big compan benefits"

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company with good benefits, innovative.

Cons

Not much advancement opportunities for junior associates.

3. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Quill full-time

Pros

Genuine and authentic people, Caring staff/Co-Workers, Laid back environment, Standard PTO
    Small company feel and culture, people treated with respect and employees seem to take pride in their work and exhibit strong sense of ownership.

Cons

Average insurance, Low budgets, Conservative in nature, Majorly lacking in office systems and technology , EXTREMELY LEAN, Lack of development opportunities, no standard on-boarding, lack of process and standardization across all departments for training and sharing.

Advice to Management

Need to spend more/invest to get better ROI to position for long-term growth across all channels. Need to share best practices with Staples and proactively integrate and leverage their resources such as training and or sales/marketing techniques & strategy.

5. "Terrible place to work - Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Quill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You receive great gifts from the vendors when they come in for lunch & learns or vendor shows. The prizes, provided by vendors, for the company raffles are really good.

Cons

You are micro managed. They are a business and they only care about making money. They could care less about their employees who make the company money.
    Half of the admin team is helpful the other half could care less about helping their reps and are extremely rude. I did my own admin work most of the time to save my self the trouble of dealing with them. The admin manager sets the tone for the team and is just as rude.
    There is a team manager who plays guitar in the middle of the day and has no clue how to do the job. She yells over the partitions all day to talk to her employees which disrupts my calls to customers.
    There is NO room for growth and when there is they hire managers who play their guitars and another who screams and corrects her employees on the floor for all to hear.
    The upper management team has NO sales experience but are running the sales team. They set goals that they could never meet but expect you to get. Most of the sales team is on a corrective write up and will probably lose their jobs. That's a great way to come into work each day; great motivator, knowing you will probably be fired.
    Quill was by far the 2nd worse company I have ever worked for. I would never refer my worst enemy to work there.

Advice to Management

None they don't listen and really don't care. And when you give them advice you usually get into some form of trouble.
    This review is for the little people who are thinking of working here. My advice is there is a better company out there.

"I love it, just wish we had better margins. Some of our cost on items are ridiculously higher than our competitors."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Good people. Good money potential. Good cafe. Fun events take place. Some managers are really great and want you to succeed.

Cons

Talk time is hard to focus on with so many other tasks to complete like pricing and quotes. Imprint team SUCKS. as much as they dont want us to, some customer service things we do need to handle. More reliable source to place an order while off the phone is needed.

Advice to Management

Give us more time for other tasks and a better imprint team. Maybe a 2.5 hour talk time instead of 3

7. "Great company"

Pros

I love my coworkers, I love the company, great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Margin on some of the items could be a bit better

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Quill full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement within current department or other departments

Cons

No Cons for Quill.com; great company

"Not true sales..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I will lead off with my co-workers, I genuinely enjoy the majority of my co-workers and a lot of us are friends and spend time together outside of work. We have decent benefits, pre-approved OT (up to 3 hours), and weekly pay.

For women like me, the new VP has been great. The VP that took over about 8 months ago is the sponsor for our Women Who Lead group, since she came on, every Team Manager or better role has gone to a woman. So, even if I kind of want to leave...I might as well stick it out since my odds of promotion just improved.

Cons

Pay is a huge issue. Because you don't develop your own book of business you're at the mercy of whatever book you're given. Some great reps who are very intelligent and good at their jobs took over terrible bases and are making practically no money compared to people who just started last month who haven't made it through their account base. I even think there are Sr. account managers who are the best account managers who are out-earned by new hires. That's wrong (even though I have a decent base). Also, one of the positives is a negative. What seems like favoritism to women or favoritism to employees who upper management has a relationship with is hurting the company. Despite there being clear favoritism for individuals and apparently for women too, there were a couple of great candidates for Team Manager spots that got passed over. One of whom has been a top rep for 10 years and others who are much more respected by reps and knowledgeable than people who got a position they didn't deserve. If my manager treats people like dirt (and that's not new information), lacks knowledge and tact, or isn't respected how am I supposed to be successful at my job? How's that person going to help me to improve? If my manager is too busy playing guitar, or snap chatting, or looking at dating sites, how am I supposed to respect that person?

Advice to Management

Perception is reality, there is a big problem right now of talented reps leaving, 2 in the last week, because our structure is out of whack. If there are performing bases, reward tenured reps with them, don't give them to brand new people. Do more to show appreciation for people who do their jobs. It's insulting watching a guy who makes 15 dials a day for less than an hour wander around the floor on his cell phone, reading yahoo news articles, and sitting on the couches gloat about how he is SO good at his job he doesn't need to call people. Things like that DESTROY morale. Either hold people accountable to doing their jobs, or start to reward the people who bust their tails despite tough account bases.

Also, even though it hurts me, STOP promoting people who have no business being managers just because they're women or you spend time together outside the office. The department won't be fixed by making poor judgement decisions. As much as it sounds strange, talk to the teams before you pick a manager. Narrow it down and talk to them! These last 4-5 hires as managers, with the exception of healthcare's team, wouldn't have the managers they currently have if you asked the people's perception who will be working under them. What management sees/hears isn't always accurate, and I can say without doubt, people have a hard time working for someone they don't respect or trust. Also, be real with us! A huge number of us feel like we're going to be eliminated by Staples. If we're not being eliminated by Staples, STAND UP FOR US!!! My commissions are getting smaller and smaller because Staples bullies us out of accounts. Staples sales look great because they're just taking business from us. If I was a stock holder, I'd be pissed! If Quill loses $10 million in sales to Staples, but because of low balling us it translates to $8 million in sales...is that in the best interests of the shareholders? Doesn't the CEO of Staples have a fiduciary responsibility to make the stock holders money? The merger with OD should have happened because we compete with ourselves and cannibalize our own company.

10. "Good Temp Work"

I worked at Quill part-time

Pros

Paid more for night shift

Flexible hours

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for overtime

"Currently seeking employment elsewhere"

I have been working at Quill full-time

Pros

The sales floor is full of capable individuals who make the day bearable. In the beginning I was very excited to join the team due to the exceptional training provided.

Cons

Throughout my Quill career the amount of organizational changes that have occurred has made it a very inconsistent environment. As a result, poor morale is rampant. Unrealistic expectations, set by management, fueled by misunderstandings between correlation and causation, have made the workplace an overall stressful environment.

Management has undergone myriad changes in a very short amount of time including new team managers and new directors of sales. Inadequate management training has lead to the spread of misinformation to an inexperienced salesforce. Since the changes, employee's overall motivation has decreased to the point where most are doing the bare minimum to not get fired. Weekly team building activities are implemented to boost morale instead of addressing the underlying issues responsible.

Some of the best sales people are put on pips (performance improvement plans,) including tenured reps, skyrocketing the turnover rate. As a result, Quill’s customers are becoming more and more dissatisfied with the service from a company that boasts “world-class customer service.”

Expectations are set that growing books of business takes upwards of 6 months, yet when bases are underperforming within that time frame, the consequences of a pip are imminent. A reactive style of management contradicts the expectations set in training.

Regionalized bases are a direct determinant of success with demographics making a big impact on books of businesses and, in turn, paychecks.

The commission structure is a guessing game. This lack of transparency is another contributing factor to the low morale prevalent throughout the department.

The leadership is inexperienced. It is obvious the marketing department runs the sales floor, instead of it being a collaborative effort between the two.

Overall, the negatives significantly outnumber the positives, creating dissonance and an unhealthy environment

Advice to Management

When less than 20% of the sales reps attain their quotas, it raises questions about how they are determined. The commission check makes a big contribution to my monthly budget, and I need to be able to determine on my own if I will be able to feed my children.

Accept the fact that selling time has less of a contribution to attaining quota than it does.

I urge the company to take the time to know the customers that we (as a team and a sales floor) deal with, and set the expectations accordingly. We talk to lawyers, CFO’s, doctors, owners, etc. and they don't have much time to talk about paper. Like Quill’s slogan says, it's a small part of their job.