Quill Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sergio Pereira

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • To many politics in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• account managers who are out-earned by new hires (in 4 reviews)

1. "Current Employee in Lincolnshire, IL"

I have been working at Quill full-time

Pros

Talented group of people with clear passion for their jobs.

Cons

Wish there was a better work-from-home policy to better accommodate those with longer commute times.

"Quill.com"

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great and you will learn a lot.

Cons

They do not spend a lot of time investing in their younger employees and don't try to attract or keep younger talent around.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention and appealing to ALL parts of the workforce. Not just those with kids and a family.

"Merchandising"

I worked at Quill full-time

Pros

Quick decision making and ability to make an impact quickly. Friendly colleagues and smaller company work environment where leaders know employees by name. Recent building renovations. Summer hours.

Cons

Some archaic management styles and directors can be condescending, controlling, and micromanaging. Disparity in responsibilities and titles. Very gray lines between roles in merchandising. Extremely lean and unrealistic expectations and unachievable budget. Morale at all time low. Quill is often an afterthought and shadow to Staples. Super lean organization.

Advice to Management

Morale goes beyond happy hours, fun events, and free food. Trust your employees to do their jobs and know their business without breathing down their backs constantly or belittling with every misstep. Be considerate of workload and set realistic expectations or provide more resources. Period. Stop/scale back on sending e-mails past business hours and on weekends as it is very disrespectful
    to work/life balance, unprofessional, and sets a negative precedence. Establish equality in titles and roles and responsibilities.

"specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People, management, co-workers and the environment are great. Benefits are standard for the industry.

Cons

Too much mirroring of Staples and the Staples influence. Quill is very strong leadership on down..But Staples is awful and the pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people development and try to stay and independent of Staples as possible.

"Inside Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training good, product knowledge stressed and decent mentoring

Cons

none that present come to mind

Advice to Management

Healthy group of experienced professionals

6. "Small company feel with big compan benefits"

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company with good benefits, innovative.

Cons

Not much advancement opportunities for junior associates.

7. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Quill full-time

Pros

Genuine and authentic people, Caring staff/Co-Workers, Laid back environment, Standard PTO
    Small company feel and culture, people treated with respect and employees seem to take pride in their work and exhibit strong sense of ownership.

Cons

Average insurance, Low budgets, Conservative in nature, Majorly lacking in office systems and technology , EXTREMELY LEAN, Lack of development opportunities, no standard on-boarding, lack of process and standardization across all departments for training and sharing.

Advice to Management

Need to spend more/invest to get better ROI to position for long-term growth across all channels. Need to share best practices with Staples and proactively integrate and leverage their resources such as training and or sales/marketing techniques & strategy.

"Terrible place to work - Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Quill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You receive great gifts from the vendors when they come in for lunch & learns or vendor shows. The prizes, provided by vendors, for the company raffles are really good.

Cons

You are micro managed. They are a business and they only care about making money. They could care less about their employees who make the company money.
    Half of the admin team is helpful the other half could care less about helping their reps and are extremely rude. I did my own admin work most of the time to save my self the trouble of dealing with them. The admin manager sets the tone for the team and is just as rude.
    There is a team manager who plays guitar in the middle of the day and has no clue how to do the job. She yells over the partitions all day to talk to her employees which disrupts my calls to customers.
    There is NO room for growth and when there is they hire managers who play their guitars and another who screams and corrects her employees on the floor for all to hear.
    The upper management team has NO sales experience but are running the sales team. They set goals that they could never meet but expect you to get. Most of the sales team is on a corrective write up and will probably lose their jobs. That's a great way to come into work each day; great motivator, knowing you will probably be fired.
    Quill was by far the 2nd worse company I have ever worked for. I would never refer my worst enemy to work there.

Advice to Management

None they don't listen and really don't care. And when you give them advice you usually get into some form of trouble.
    This review is for the little people who are thinking of working here. My advice is there is a better company out there.

"I love it, just wish we had better margins. Some of our cost on items are ridiculously higher than our competitors."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Quill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Good people. Good money potential. Good cafe. Fun events take place. Some managers are really great and want you to succeed.

Cons

Talk time is hard to focus on with so many other tasks to complete like pricing and quotes. Imprint team SUCKS. as much as they dont want us to, some customer service things we do need to handle. More reliable source to place an order while off the phone is needed.

Advice to Management

Give us more time for other tasks and a better imprint team. Maybe a 2.5 hour talk time instead of 3

10. "Great company"

Pros

I love my coworkers, I love the company, great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Margin on some of the items could be a bit better