RailWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Estimator"

Current Employee - Estimator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Estimator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at RailWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Operations career path is rewarding.

Cons

Long hours to be successful.

2. "Definitely one of the worst companies I was ever employed at."

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at RailWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There weren’t any pros. It was completely nauseating working here. The accounts payable department is the worst department in the Farmingdale location.

Cons

Everything from the employees to management. Certain employees think they can run the department. Management is a joke. Two guys that have no clue about AP at all are in charge. One of them was out 3 days a week to hang out with his kids! Someone who was working there for years quit because they hired a new AP manager. One that actually had knowledge. He was fired because the employees didn’t want to be managed by a new person. They liked to get away with the two managers that were there letting them run the show! These people do not want to be managed. They throw tantrums. One girl would sit at her desk and hide her cell phone while she was on it ALL DAY! Another one was in one of the managers office all day with the door closed. Wonder what they were doing....and the ones that were there a few years would talk about ex employees on a daily basis.. Get over yourselves!! You are NO better than anyone else. You are all just nasty cruel people! You like making new employees feel terrible. I’ve never second guessed myself so much in my entire life while working in this place. No wonder nobody new lasts in AP! I had high hopes when I started but If you do not fit in to their “clique” you will not make this place a home for yourself. I was lucky enough to find a better job and get out of there..

Advice to Management

Do your job, gain some knowledge and stop letting those girls ruin it for new employees!

"Worst Job ever"

Former Employee - Welder Helper in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Welder Helper in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at RailWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay good. And every week.

Cons

No respect for the little people.You can work for years and be out a job in a day.If your not in the click you won't last!!Then you could be away from home months at a time.

Advice to Management

Try to have your employees back.To much favoritetism.

"Could be great..."

Former Employee - Geometry Operator in Jacksonville, IL
    Former Employee - Geometry Operator in Jacksonville, IL

I worked at RailWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work. Some hourly employees are paid as salary. Newer work trucks.

Cons

A normal life is NOT a possibility. Excessive travel with minimal home time. Low cap rate for hotels.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and what they sacrifice for the company. Realize a week home is not much after 4-6 weeks on the road.

5. "AP Clerk"

I have been working at RailWorks full-time

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

There are non at this time.

"Corporate Employee"

I worked at RailWorks full-time

Pros

Team Members and Regional leaders are knowledgeable, hard working, and are great to work with. They are educated, business savvy, friendly, and motivated.

Cons

Corporate Leadership is an absolute disaster. The CFO has far too much say in the operations side of the business, which hampers the COO's (and RailWork's) chances of being successful. The CEO is little more than a hatchet man. He is currently cutting everything in sight (including employees) to try and make the company's financials look better for the venture capital company that owns RailWorks. He has no communication skills, leadership aptitude, or common sense. The CFO and CEO have very little communication with people who actually make the company money, and are only concerned with bottom line numbers. Very toxic environment at the New York headquarters. No IT project management resources, no company-wide policies and procedures, no system training. The CFO and CEO need to be replaced in order for this company to be successful. I feel for the good people at RailWorks (and specifically the people at the headquarters office) who are knowledgeable, motivated, and work hard but are suppressed by their inadequate leadership.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of successful businesses. First, realize it's your employees that make a company successful. Help them be successful, and YOU will be successful. Second, develop a company-wide mission, goals, and values. Then ensure all team members know them, understand them, and are aligned to them (this will require you to COMMUNICATE with your employees). Third, realize it's the OPERATIONS side of the business that actually makes a company successful. The finance people need to understand their role is to simply keep track of the money that OPERATIONS makes. Last, LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! There are great people working at RailWorks!

"Corporate Structure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RailWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working people in corporate.

Cons

I agree with the last post about the CFO having to much power in the company. It felt like she was trying to usurp the CEO who has only been there less than a year. She has control of finance then later took control of HR. She would also be involved with IT, operations and legal with everything with the ERP, to what equipment to purchase and staffing.

Advice to Management

Reign in your CFO. The woman has to much power in this company.

8. "superviser"

I have been working at RailWorks full-time

Pros

great at planning, good people

Cons

none to say at this time

"Corporate HR"

I worked at RailWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me, I received good work experience.

Cons

Micromanaged, low autonomy. Executive Management did not value HR as a business partner. Worked hard, but never felt valued or trusted. Cold culture.

Advice to Management

Invest in and value your employees. Promote from within. Engage your employees and be rewarded.

10. "Corporate"

I have been working at RailWorks full-time

Pros

pretty good work life balance

Cons

more training needed and guidance