Reformation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2018

Reformation Founder & CEO Yael Aflalo
Yael Aflalo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great coworkers and a relaxed work environment" (in 9 reviews)

• "Extra perks: flexible hours, insanely cute dogs, very chill garden with wifi, clothing discount" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Uniforms while working and hardly no work/life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Overall Ref has created a toxic work environment that has been further cultivated by the CEO's inner circle" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Nothing worth it is easy! Ref is worth it!"

Current Employee - Planning Analyst in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Analyst in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I love coming into work and am very passionate about my career. Below are just a few of the areas of why I enjoy working at Ref:

Experience: The tools you gain from working at Ref allow you to see inside the business from different angles that most large corporations would never make accessible for employees until seniority status.

Collaboration: The startup mentality holds true with Ref as you will get to know your coworkers from different areas of the business based off of work projects, work events and open seating policy. At any other company, it is not common for design and finance to communicate on a first name basis but at Ref opposite teams will commonly interact. It’s really cool to see what your neighbor is working on especially when it is completely different from your side of the business

Culture: The best way to sum up the culture at Ref is that the people are amazing, it just takes new employees to make an effort. To be transparent, everyone is busy but if you are new it is hard for employees to make as much as an effort as large corporations do. However, the right candidate will make an effort and that is how the bonds will grow and I have met some of my life long best friends at Ref but it meant me putting myself out there. It takes a special type of person to adapt to the Ref culture and confidence and the ability to put yourself in uncomfortable situations will only help blossom. I am so grateful for my coworkers because they are true representations of hard working, INTELLIGENT and open minded people. It is so refreshing and motivating - it really is the best part of the culture.

Work life Balance: the key to work life balance is having the ability to complete your work efficiently or stepping away when you feel that you have spent ample time working and need a break. Ref does a really good job of upper management understanding that everyone needs breaks and offers a lot of opportunities for this. I have never felt forced to work on a weekend or stay late if anything it was my decision as I love my work.

Best perks: People value your opinion, doesn’t matter if you are on design or merchandising people want to hear your thoughts on styles, how to make a Ref a better place to work and so much more!

The discount rules and becomes addicting!

The opportunity to bring your dog to work saves soooo much money as you don’t have to pay for a dog walker!

Both headquarters have such a cool vibe and really display that Ref invests money into their employees with modern millennial work places.

Cons

I have no cons to state as Reformation's has given me the tools to succeed.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being wonderful role models and taking time to know everyone’s name and understand their area of the business. Areas of opportunity, would be to start implementing classes for workers to take to help with skill sets like reporting and retail mathematics.

"Massive Letdown"

Pros

-The tech features are great when they're not creating more problems than they solve. The design and setup of stores creates a cleaner, easier, faster shopping experience... when it works and customers are in the mood to use it.
    -Employee discount.
    -Bring your dog to work if you're at HQ.

Cons

HQ and retail are so disjointed. Communication and treatment from corporate is unacceptable. No real explanation or follow through on anything, just a never ending wave of emails demanding your attention at all hours. Schedule is constantly changing to support last minute changes/requests and make up for short staffing. Retention is horrendous, higher than industry standard. Retail teams are receiving little to no training or development. There is no conflict resolution. No check-ins or follow up. Focus is on new store openings, so existing stores are getting no support. There is one person assigned to field and they spend very little time in store actively observing and improving experiences (employee or customer). East Coast DM role was assigned about 6 months ago, but person the role was created for is no longer with company. As mentioned earlier, a tremendous amount of people are no longer with the company. It just isn't anything like you expect coming in, and doesn't live up to the hype or potential. Culture of blame shifting and gossiping with little interest in sustainability and customer service.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced, capable people. Value your people. Hold HQ team to the same level of accountability you expect from retail teams. Be responsive to feedback stores filter up since we're the ones actually working with the tech, the customers, and the product. Recognize that shortcomings across departments is less a result of "start up" environment and more a result of crippling communication.

"Horrible Benefits"

Pros

50% discount on clothes is nice

Cons

No 401k, cost of medical and dental for family is ridiculously high.
    The Vernon office is treated like step children. There's not even running water in the kitchen. No cups, no dishes, you can't even find a fork in this kitchen. Also, if you get a choice of whether to work at Veron or Culver, pick Culver. They stock the kitchen there with tons of yummy snacks. Vernon gets NOTHING.

Advice to Management

Get some better benefits. We're adults. We should have a 401k.

"No direction"

Former Employee - Pattern Maker in Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - Pattern Maker in Vernon, CA

I worked at Reformation full-time

Pros

Clean work environment, all needed equipment.

Cons

Management has no experience in this industry.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified managers.

"Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Reformation part-time

Pros

Great culture, innovative products, innovative operations, great communication from middle management, opportunity for limited growth

Cons

Communication from upper management is poor, they boost communication for short periods of time and then seem to forget, not enough associates scheduled for the amount of work there is to do.

Advice to Management

Boost store payroll budgets and engage employees on every level.

"Great~!"

I worked at Reformation full-time

Pros

Great company to get your hands dirty on a lot of different things.

Cons

Management needs to be more transparent

Advice to Management

be more transparent

"I wanted to love it here..."

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company is amazing. Sustainable and eco friendly! What's not to love, most of the people were great and then...

Cons

I met the owner Yael. This woman has a very deep emotional problems which makes working for her unbearable. She's very unprofessional, treats employees like crap depending on what mood she's in that hour, to the point of cussing them out. There is no guidance, organization or basic systems. No work/life balance, worked 12 hour days and they wanted to put me on salary so they wouldn't pay me hourly overtime. There was a lot of employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Culture, build a culture as strong as your mission where you take care of the people working for you. Learn to be a good leader and treat people with respect.

"All good except the CFO"

I have been working at Reformation full-time

Pros

There's a lot I like about Reformation. People, work, projects.

Cons

The CFO walks around like she's entitled.

Advice to Management

Find a new CFO or tell her to stop acting like she's the CEO of Reformation.

"Key Holder"

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and a relaxed work environment. Working in store is very easy, and the people who work there become like a family. Great compensation, and understanding store management about work-life balance.

Cons

Miscommunication with corporate management occurs, and lack of ability to grow from a store level.

"Print Designer"

Former Employee - Print Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Print Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities are available at a start up company that is changing the status quo of the fashion industry. Inspiring place to work with like minded individuals who are passionate about fashion and sustainability.

Cons

Can feel out of your depth at times without anyone to turn to for help when you need it. High stress and fast paced environment that would only suit those with high tolerance for this setting and high self confidence.

Advice to Management

Provide support and help to staff when they feel out of their depth, make them feel like there will not be backlash when requiring extra help.