Reformation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Reformation Founder & CEO Yael Aflalo
Yael Aflalo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great coworkers and a relaxed work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Extra perks: flexible hours, insanely cute dogs, very chill garden with wifi, clothing discount (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Uniforms while working and hardly no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Overall Ref has created a toxic work environment that has been further cultivated by the CEO's inner circle (in 6 reviews)

"Print Designer"

Former Employee - Print Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Print Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities are available at a start up company that is changing the status quo of the fashion industry. Inspiring place to work with like minded individuals who are passionate about fashion and sustainability.

Cons

Can feel out of your depth at times without anyone to turn to for help when you need it. High stress and fast paced environment that would only suit those with high tolerance for this setting and high self confidence.

Advice to Management

Provide support and help to staff when they feel out of their depth, make them feel like there will not be backlash when requiring extra help.

"I wanted to love it here..."

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company is amazing. Sustainable and eco friendly! What's not to love, most of the people were great and then...

Cons

I met the owner Yael. This woman has a very deep emotional problems which makes working for her unbearable. She's very unprofessional, treats employees like crap depending on what mood she's in that hour, to the point of cussing them out. There is no guidance, organization or basic systems. No work/life balance, worked 12 hour days and they wanted to put me on salary so they wouldn't pay me hourly overtime. There was a lot of employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Culture, build a culture as strong as your mission where you take care of the people working for you. Learn to be a good leader and treat people with respect.

"All good except the CFO"

I have been working at Reformation full-time

Pros

There's a lot I like about Reformation. People, work, projects.

Cons

The CFO walks around like she's entitled.

Advice to Management

Find a new CFO or tell her to stop acting like she's the CEO of Reformation.

"Disappointed"

I worked at Reformation full-time

Pros

Dog friendly office and snacks aka peanut butter and coffee.
    The mission of the company is something I truly believe in. I was so excited to be a part of a company where I could feel like I was contributing to a worthy cause, but so disappointed when I learned how the company was actually ran

Cons

I have never felt less empowered or respected in my life. My duties were demeaning, but I was somehow treated like everything I was doing was wrong.
    Although at a mid-level position in my career now, I was treated like less than an intern. None of my knowledge or skills were utilized because knowledge or skills or practical sense don't matter at Reformation. The only thing that matters is what Yael and her lazy team of Mean Girls think. The people in positions of "director" or "manager" of this or that have no experience in fashion and lack any sense or professionalism or work ethic. The talented people who were so eager to be a part of this company are dismissed and disrespected.
    There is no consistency, policy, or procedure and the turnover rate is insane. Things change based on how cold or hungry Yael is that day as she contradicts herself with a donut hanging out of her mouth.
    Lessons that are preached, "Yael is never wrong, even when she's wrong," and "When Yael says jump, you ask how high."
    No one works as a team, but instead spends their time blaming other people and pointing fingers rather than working as a team to find solutions and move forward.
    Working for Reformation was such a huge dream for me--I've never been more excited to work for another company like I was for Ref, but I was more than let down. I never thought that my CEO would be throwing clothes at me and clapping in my face, and that my sexist coworkers would be so degrading that I would go home and cry every day.

Advice to Management

Management clearly does not care about the advice of their current / past employees.

5. "Key Holder"

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Reformation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and a relaxed work environment. Working in store is very easy, and the people who work there become like a family. Great compensation, and understanding store management about work-life balance.

Cons

Miscommunication with corporate management occurs, and lack of ability to grow from a store level.

"Disorganized, unprofessional coworkers, bad leadership"

I worked at Reformation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clothing, office environment is nice.

Cons

Bad leadership and management, CFO seems to be nice on the outside, but something rubs me the wrong way about her. CEO equally the same. Not personable, but a dodo bird that spend spends and spends, driving the company to the ground. Witnessed CFO's leadership style but was disappointingly lacking..no back bone for team, only hide behind her computer and expects staff level to be "managers" and solve upper management issues with other departments...has too much of a theoretical demeanor when she gives advice, terrible at teaching. "The classic, difference between a professional and a professional that knows how to train and guide a team"

Company is a mess, too many "directors of this or that" , not enough staff that can produce actual results. Snobs everywhere and not humble at all.

Professionalism is lacking. I question some people that were hired. I found out the person not only was paid more than me but the work they produced was downright terrible, full of errors, and I was the one who always clean up her mess. Management does not know how to boot the roaches, but just provide empty promises for change. High turnovers all the time.

I regretted working here! Although I learned somethings, I definitely would not recommend to anyone.

Advice to Management

No advice I can give. But this place is a mess. and still is.

7. "Sales , Key Holder, Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Reformation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great clothing discount + social media exposure for brand

Cons

Uniforms while working and hardly no work/life balance

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Reformation full-time

Pros

- Opportunity for growth
    - Fast paced
    - Innovative
    - Great team and people
    - Mission driven

Cons

- Can be high pressure and very results oriented

"It’s not worth it"

I worked at Reformation full-time

Pros

Clothing discount. There’s always a dog to pet while you cry.

Cons

1.) CEO needs to learn how to interact with her employees. All the reviews saying she’s nice one minute and screaming at you the next is all true.
    2.) almost everyone is mean. But they’re mean because they are MISERABLE. (Some are lovely outside of work)
    3.) if you don’t work for at least 12 hours a day you will be resented
    4.) the company doesn’t ever know where its headed and the directive changes day to day
    5.) the turnover is NUTS.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Practice what you’re selling to your consumers. Let your employees have a work life balance and BE KIND TO THEM. You hire young, hungry and incredibly smart people and they deserve respect. Don’t lose them because you can’t be kind!

"Great for growth!"

I worked at Reformation full-time

Pros

Sustainability, innovation, and strong female leadership make Ref a great place to learn.

Cons

Communication can be spotty as fast growth outpaces management's ability to maintain transparency and respond to employee needs. If you want something- ask for it, if you see a problem and want to improve it, don't be afraid to speak up!