Resource Development Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Resource Development Associates Reviews

Updated 8 Oct 2019

3.7
Resource Development Associates CEO Patricia Marrone Bennett (no image)
Patricia Marrone Bennett

"The people rock!"

I worked at Resource Development Associates full-time

Pros

+socially conscious +amazing people +great location (on the lake)

Cons

-work/life balance (depending on role)

Resource Development Associates2019-04-30
  2. "Mission-driven work with real impact"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Resource Development Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RDA is a growing firm, which means staff have an opportunity to contribute to both the culture and the areas we work in. The culture is collaborative, and there are many opportunities to learn from people with deep expertise in public systems and in service areas including planning, grant writing, organizational development, capacity building/technical assistance, and evaluation and assessment. People are very... committed to the mission, and the project managers and practice directors care about understanding client needs, so it feels like the work has a real impact on our clients.

Cons

Working in a growing organization means not everything is figured out. If you like working in a place where everything is very clearly spelled out, this may be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff as the organization grows and develops.

Resource Development Associates2019-10-08

"Impactful, Dynamic Consulting Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Resource Development Associates full-time

Pros

Very kind, passionate, and incredibly smart team of people. Meaningful, change-making work as far as consulting goes. More "feet on the ground" than other consulting firms.

Cons

Low starting salaries. Company needs to evaluate why it hires and retains mostly women, and how this is tied to lower base salaries.

Resource Development Associates2019-04-27

"Justice in the name but in practice"

I worked at Resource Development Associates full-time

Pros

The entry-level talent is kind of heart and passionate in their work. Perhaps due to the nature of the projects, most people are there because they truly want to contribute something meaningful.

Cons

I felt taken advantage of and emotionally hurt by top level management in terms of pay, professional development and self-respect. I went in thinking that I would be one of the team, but realized soon that people of color are tokenized. Logically, if you want to obtain buy-in from public agencies and non-profits looking for evaluation services, then the consulting team has to look the part. No question that everyone... is talented, but it is clear that physical appearance of employees is a component of the company's pipeline. In the end, it felt like diversity was a selling point and I just another face on a poster. Evidence is that as a consultant you can get severely underpaid in this firm. They do not even offer pay that is just and fair unless you fight for it. But if you have to fight for justice in a firm that stands on a high horse of social and economic justice, where are we in history. I felt wronged by the people that claimed to want to do good.

Advice to Management

Have a heart for the work and the employees. It shows when you don't.

Resource Development Associates2018-10-28
  5. "Once Upon A Time Was a Great Firm"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Resource Development Associates

Pros

When Bob Bennett ran it, it was a great organization doing important work

Cons

Bob left and the company went downhill

Resource Development Associates2017-06-08

"Rewarding and challenging work"

Former Employee - Program Associate

I worked at Resource Development Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Resource Development Associates in a small consulting firm based in Oakland, CA. The work entails working on issues of social justice including criminal justice reform, mental health reform, health and education related work. I learned a great deal at my time at RDA including project management, working with clients, and got to really utilize my strengths and all my skills I learned throughout my educational... programs. The work was fulfilling and I particularly appreciated when I was able to work directly with the community members on the projects. What I also enjoyed was the diversity of projects, it helped keep you on your feet. The culture was great, respectful, and always interested in continuous improvement. Colleagues are very intelligent, motivated, and really the place kind of feels like a small little family.

Cons

I would also stay the diversity of projects is a challenge as well. You must juggle lots of different projects at once. But that is also the work in consulting, so if that is something you feel is not your strength or that you don't want to do, don't go into consulting. Another challenge is to get professional development opportunities outside the company related events, such as workshops due to the fact it is a... smaller firm with smaller profit margins. But there is interest in beefing that piece up. I also think the benefits package are not as generous as other companies, which is particularly a challenge in the Bay Area.

Resource Development Associates2017-04-22

"Wonderful organizational culture, interesting projects, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Program Associate

I have been working at Resource Development Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great support for professional development. Committed, passionate people who want to make a difference.

Cons

Deadline-driven consulting environment isn't a great fit for every individual.

Resource Development Associates2017-04-24

"Rewarding and Challenging in All the Best Ways"

Former Employee - Program Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Resource Development Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RDA attracts some of the most intelligent, talented, and passionate people I have ever met in my professional life. So much of what I know and use now I learned at RDA. RDA instills in you curiosity, professional presence, and the motivation to achieve things you never thought possible. While I was employed, RDA placed a huge emphasis on being a learning organization, honoring the perspectives of all employees... regardless of where they stood in the hierarchy/matrix, and creating experiences that made work truly meaningful to you as both a professional and as an individual. RDA's management conveyed authentic concern for the wellbeing of its employees and workplace culture.

Cons

Benefits were OK. Given the nature of the consulting 'slog' (not something unique to RDA), I believe more PTO would help employees maintain a healthy work-life balance if that is a concern.

Resource Development Associates2017-04-14

"Impactful work, mixed management"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Resource Development Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clients are in real need of your skills, so you can have a meaningful impact on important social services across California.

Cons

Management is a real mixed bag: some are distracted and borderline rude, but others can be strong mentors. Senior management is super political and the tension trickles down.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with a little more respect and a little less condescension - will go a long way. Lessen burnout by balancing workloads better.

Resource Development Associates2016-06-27
  10. "RDA is an amazing organization to be a part of!"

I have been working at Resource Development Associates

Pros

I am proud to be a part of RDA because the work we do has real impact on our clients and people they serve. I consider myself lucky to get to go to work at RDA in the morning. Every one of the bright and passionate people on staff are committed to RDA's mission and works hard to deliver high quality services to our clients. It is a culture that promotes creativity and continuous learning, and shared leadership is... encouraged so all voices are welcome. More than anywhere else I have worked, the organization is very thoughtful about staff development and management actively promotes a strengths-based approach that creates a very positive and supportive work environment.

Cons

New staff often experience as steep learning curve, but internal systems support the transition.

Resource Development Associates2016-03-25