ResponseTek Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 2, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Syed Hasan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The working environment is supportive and high-energy (in 7 reviews)

• Nice people, many very intelligent a good team spirit (in 3 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great Starting Point"

Former Employee - IT Support Techniocian in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Support Techniocian in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ResponseTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great People
    - Mid Sized
    -Nice Office
    -Good Location
    -Good Culture
    -Friendly and Knowledgable Management

Cons

-Tight Budget Apparently
    -Too big to redisgn with emerging languages, which isn't bad as along as it works as good or better than any competition.

Advice to Management

-Long Term Funding Plan For Beating Competition and Securing Revenue Streams

"The worst experience ever, run away..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ResponseTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, lots of food and free coffee machine.

Cons

Smarties unreachable to share knowledge with the new developers, because of outsourcing to India, they expect you to received calls at 3:00 am, I had this feeling of manager watching me ALL THE TIME, writing down the time I went to eat, washroom, coffee, etc. the most horrible unpleasant experience, plus isolation of elite team with the rest of us, humiliating... I used to cry every day before work, but I needed the money, what can I say... I was very happy when I got another job I was looking after only one week I started at Responsetek, company takes advantage of newbies to Canada paying them way below of what they are worth exploiting them long hours in the uncomfortable new desks that don't fit tall people as they are the cheapest...

Advice to Management

There are so many things, I don't know where to start, company is just so bad... they would need to change just everything, if they at least pay accordingly to what they people work that would be a good start.

"CEO is killing company with massive ego, outsourcing"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ResponseTek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Shared foxhole mentality - you will bond with these people because the horrendously terrible organisation of the company coupled with regular promotion of inept favourites, makes it feel like you are being shelled constantly. You will make very long lasting friendships here because it feels like the other bottom rung employees are the only ones who have your back and know what is going on.

Flexible hours - You can almost show up whenever and leave whenever, there is really no oversight as long as you complete whatever work you are assigned for the day. People in one of the offices don't even show up some days and they have been employed for 2+ years. Heck one of the Sr. Managers only shows up for a couple of hours in the afternoon so the other Sr. Managers can see he's there, as soon as they leave he goes home, it's an option on every level!

Excellent location - The office is located in the heart of downtown near many amenities and fine restaurants you can't afford. Would be a lovely space if the leadership had allowed professionals to design it instead of insisting they somehow knew better than people whose job it is to design offices. It's also very close to a lot of the services offered in the employee benefits so after you break down crying in the office from stress and burnout you can go across the street and get some... acupuncture I guess?

Growth opportunities - with the sheer number of average-to-incompetent employees (the people who couldn't get a better job anywhere else) you're almost guaranteed to move up at some point (because they don't give raises, they give new titles) if you demonstrate even a sliver of capability. Just be careful you'll wind up doing your old job and new job at the same time.

Tons of 1-on-1 mentorship with execs - Reaching nearly 1 Sr. Manager or higher (VP, director, etc.) per regular employee you'll get plenty of opportunities to learn from people who are giving the Peter Principle an absolute run for it's money.

Learn Corporate Politics - The amount of buck-passing, blame-shifting, general weaseling, and enabling of incompetence is frankly a tour-de-force in butt covering. If you've ever wanted to know what it was like to be Dilbert, this is your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Canadian Multiculturalism at it's best - No matter where you hail from on this Earth, if you're willing to work for less than market value this company will hire you. Once inside you'll realize you're working with a wonderful crew of desperate people from all around the world, so amazingly varied is this group you'll find you have almost nothing in common with anyone. Be prepared to be more lonely than you could have ever expected.

Cons

Laughably low pay.
    Expectation that you will take client calls in the middle of the night.
    Non-technical people promoted into technical roles.
    Dealing with rampant enabling of bad employees.
    Non-existent performance metrics.
    Zero introspection above the bottom rung.
    Heavy reliance on outsourcing even as it kills the company slowly.
    Having to watch talented people slowly give up their hopes and dreams of innovation and change, becoming mediocre.
    A "Get it done now, don't worry we'll fix it later" mentality that results in it never being fixed later.
    Total disrespect for modern development practices.
    Approaching open contempt for modernization of tools and workflows.
    The "Silicon Valley" effect - a company that talks about culture but those who would make those changes happen are hamstrung by the egos of superiors.

Advice to Management

You have all worked so hard to get this company to where it was but you are no longer thinking critically about what success looks like or how it is created. As things sour you're continuing to look back on "what did we do wrong?" exclusively instead of "What did we do wrong and what can we do about it today?"

I quite respect some of you and know your hearts are in the right place, that you are still, somehow, genuinely pushing for positive change but having your heart in the right place is not the same as leadership.

You are too slow to make decisions and too afraid to make the hard calls, you're too friendly with each other and have forgotten that as the ultimate authority in the business you must keep each other in line. You must destroy your habits of always yielding to whomever is loudest and accepting all metrics at face value.

You need to respect the experts you employ, you must acknowledge that you do not know everything, you must actively listen, accept feedback, and immediately act on it. If you cannot do these things then move to a different role in your company, one you prefer and enjoy, and employ someone who can do those things.

"Disappointing experience"

Pros

Good benefits and close to the skytrain.

Cons

Not a positive work environment
    Certain departments paid WAY TOO MUCH where others are paid nothing
    CEO way too involved and doesn't understand he is the problem

Advice to Management

Don't blame your employees for your lack of understanding on how to run a department.

5. "great"

Pros

great work culture, flexible, great experience

Cons

i could not find any till now

6. "good to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandigarh (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandigarh (India)

I have been working at ResponseTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart colleagues, good quality of work, interesting problems to solve in day to day activity, work from home possibility, due recognition

Cons

the higher management can be more organized. sales directly affects engineering work which shouldn't be.

"Great Compay Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mohali, Punjab (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mohali, Punjab (India)

I have been working at ResponseTek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Liberal work environment
    * Good HR policies
    * Great people
    * All around development
    * Always inclined towards latest technologies
    * Cool work environment
    * In-time salary

Cons

* Average salary packages, not at par with reputed companies of region

Advice to Management

Keep up (y)

"Some good moves and some bad"

I have been working at ResponseTek full-time

Pros

Nice people, many very intelligent a good team spirit. I like the culture that offers many of the perks that tech companies claim to offer, donut Friday, food and drinks twice a month, a very generous company in that regard. The benefits they offer are good to me with MSP covered.

Cons

Many people are over worked, pay not high enough to keep good people. The lack of protectiveness within some of the India office is damaging to the company. A lot of promises and ideas that fall flat, due to resources, finance or changes in direction.

Advice to Management

Wages have to increase for some positions, the best people won't stick around otherwise, not in software.

"Everything moving to India"

Pros

Nice people, good culture in Vancouver office.

Cons

Low pay, overworked, no innovation

10. "Good Company to Work With."

I have been working at ResponseTek full-time

Pros

1.Fun to Work with RT.
    2.Work Pressure is Less.

Cons

1.Every Company have some Cons