Rocking Horse Ranch Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Steven Turk

1. "Paniter"

Current Employee - Painter
    Current Employee - Painter

I have been working at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the way other people like my work makes me feel great and ready for the next day to come to work

Cons

They are no downside at working at The Rocking Horse Ranch it is a very family-orientated place

Advice to Management

And to the management keep doing what you doing the Futures getting brighter can't wait to see it

2. "Double edged sword"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself is fantastic. Your bond with your coworkers will be very strong, and the tasks are not hard though the hours are long. The pay is excellent, especially overtime and holidays.

Cons

Management is absolutely ridiculous. Disorganized, unprofessional, immature. If you are called in on a day off and can't make it in, you will never be given full hours again. The managers use their power to their advantage and play favorites in all departments, and if they can't find a good reason to fire you they will make your life miserable and edge you out until you are essentially forced to quit.

Advice to Management

There's no hope unless they replace the entire management system. It's beyond unprofessional and I have never seen such a disorganized system in all my years of working professionally in my field. The only management individual who seems to have it together is the new general manager, Chuck. Real stand up guy, very honest, big on keeping the peace and eliminating friction.

"Front Desk"

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work enviroment & Good pay.
    Steve Turk (owner) can be very strict and demanding but it is only because he is very passionate and cares about his business, if you are a good worker you will be valued.

Cons

Long Hours.
    Management was a little unorganized and communication can be poor at times.

Advice to Management

Most of the management team was great. There was a high turnover/fire rate during my time there. During my years there I don't recall any of the departments having evaluations, that is one thing I would strongly recommend. I saw a lot of good workers get fired or quit because of some poor management decisions, that may help fix this if it is still an issue

"My Work Experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Highland, NY

Pros

Hospitality is not the industry for everyone - you need to commit to your career and the people you serve in order to succeed and be the best, and I don't think everyone that comes to work here truly understands that. For me, it was beyond rewarding for guests to pass my name to management in regards to top service received. I worked at the ranch throughout high school and into college while on break, and was able to advance from babysitting and lifeguarding to being a part of the marketing team. It's evident how passionate Steve is about his business, and he inspires and motivates his team to feel the same way. This isn't a Holiday Inn or a fast food joint; it's a family-owned and run business that has been around for over the past 50 years. If you make sure to enter your work with that mindset, your hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Hospitality means being available to guests when and how they need, and sometimes work life balance can suffer. I think that in being aware of this and knowing when you need a break, you can do well here.

Advice to Management

Steve is a hard worker, and very fair. There's not one task he wouldn't do that he asks of his employees, whether its picking up straw wrappers in the dirt or putting on a character costume and walking through the dining room. While yes, Steve can be tough at times, it is reflective of his passion for the business and Rocking Horse's outstanding reputation. There's a reason that Rocking Horse, a small family-owned resort, competes with Disney World, and that it's been rated second only to Cape Cod as the best family destination for NYC families. I'm beyond proud to have worked here. Keep up the good work.

6. "front office"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Highland, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Highland, NY

Pros

manager and GM made it very clear from the beginning what the expectations of the job are. decent pay with OT!

Cons

yes Steve Turk can def be intense at times, but he is an owner who cares and doesn't run and hide every time there is a problem that needs attention (like my previous employer at my last job)
    sometimes there's long hours but OT worth it, and this was discussed at interview.

Advice to Management

look into new uniforms for summer season

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Highland, NY

Pros

· Great benefits
    · Fellow staff feels more like family
    · Fun, fast-paced environment
    · Opportunities for advancement

Cons

There weren't any - the only reason I left was so that I could move closer to family.

8. "hard work and good pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Director in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Director in Highland, NY

Pros

Great pay, medical, dental, 401k, meals are included, free passes to splash down, every employee gets a year end bonus

Cons

You do put in long hours and have to work some holidays.

Advice to Management

I had a great work experience. The bottom line is if you work hard you will get promoted and paid well. Your hard work will get recognized and rewarded with bonuses. This job is challenging because it is so busy but rewarding because your meet really nice families and work with talented hard working professionals.

9. "Owners kind of rude and wounded tight, but employees there are awesome. Worked there as a server for a year."

Former Employee - Server in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every meal you work, you get for free ( at least in the servers, idk about everywhere else), the co-workers and managers are really nice and really do want to help their employees

Cons

The pay isn't that great, customers usually do not tip since the food is included, and they often schedule you split shifts so it makes it hard to do anything else that day except work.

Advice to Management

Consider a pay raise for your employees and stop scheduling split shifts!

10. "Depressing"

Pros

Pay isn't awful, some folks are nicer than others

Cons

Hours are awful 10-12 hour shifts without breaks, made to eat in a linen closet when you do get breaks, its dirty and there are chemicals. Some employees have terrible attitudes and no one does anything about it when something happens they tell you to let it go. No discipline. You're treated very second class even when you have first class hospitality for the guests its never good enough. There's so much more..

Advice to Management

Management should really listed. to their employees as well as take in to consideration the fact we too have families and can't dedicate our entire lives to a place where we make just above minimum wage. Don't treat people like they don't matter because then to them their job won't matter. Happy employees make for a happy healthy and profitable business....use common sense and gain some people skills, stop hiding in your office constantly and barking out orders...she. something is wrong FIX it...don't make people feel guilty for life getting in the way of your millions...be compassionate and you will gain loyalty rather than turn over!

11. "Food and Bev"

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort part-time

Pros

Many of the other employees are great, people are generally nice. The work is pretty basic and not overly difficult if you put some effort in

Cons

The hours can vary due to it being a shift schedule position. Call also be very stressful at times when it gets busy and guests are unpleasant. Not many chances for a raise

Advice to Management

Few promotions or recognition if you go above and beyond for guests by the upper management. There is also the unpredictable nature of the owner, he can go from happy and helpful, to extremely intense in minutes