Ruffer Reviews | Glassdoor

Ruffer Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2019

Found 16 reviews

4.5
Ruffer CEO Clemmie Vaughan (no image)
Clemmie Vaughan
  1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family vibe Social Moving in the right direction

Cons

Support teams are forgotten about.

Ruffer2019-07-29

August 27, 2019Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your review. We work hard to create a strong team culture so we have taken your feedback on board.

2. "Work Environment"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Ruffer full-time

Pros

The culture is progress, forward thinking

Cons

There is a lack of flexibility

Ruffer2019-08-07

August 27, 2019Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback. Enabling people to work flexibly is something we try hard to accommodate, and we introduced a new flexible working policy in 2019.

"Slow Pace & Old School Mindsets Ruin An Otherwise Good Company"

I worked at Ruffer full-time

Pros

- Employee mental and physical health is well looked after at Ruffer, with exercise classes, healthy food options and support for managers with occupational psychology and leadership training - Ruffer has an admirable aim to put clients first where no request is turned down. - Good location and office facilities

Cons

- For a small company, the lack of collaboration and communication is shocking. - Big company bureaucracy and politics is rife, due to most of the senior management coming from large investment firms and not changing their approach to fit a small organisation. - There are too many "Rufferisms", to do well or fit in means conforming to this institution style mentality, which is what hinders progress. - Classic... problem of too many directors/managers and not enough doers. The organisational structure is not efficient or appropriate.

Advice to Management

Start hiring a more diverse set of senior leaders who are not afraid to take risks and actually have experience in scaling up a business.

Ruffer2019-01-04

January 11, 2019Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are encouraged by the pros, but disappointed by the cons. We have grown rapidly since 2010, investing heavily in our people and systems to support this. Our structure will continue to adapt and evolve – to help us meet the needs of our clients and the firm.

"Friendly firm"

I worked at Ruffer full-time

Pros

Friendly, familial firm characterised by integrity and a solid macro driven investment approach. Employees stay for the long-term, so for the right fit, it is a close to ideal role.

Cons

Overall, it was a good experience and Ruffer has my recommendation.

Ruffer2018-12-21

February 13, 2019Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Ruffer and we wish you the best of luck for the future.

5. "Good culture"

I have been working at Ruffer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring, nice culture, smart people

Cons

Not as performance driven, relationship driven

Ruffer2018-11-19

December 3, 2018Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback. Our culture is very important as we try create a working environment where everyone can thrive. Our aim is to deliver investment performance and service that put our clients first. Therefore we don’t have sales or growth targets, as we believe this can distort behaviour. Instead we focus on not losing money, rather than going gung-ho for growth.

"Amazing company culture, sad to leave"

Former Employee - Research Associate in London, England

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Ruffer for 7 years, first in the client facing side of the business and latterly in the research department (3.5 years in each), so I have good grounds on which to pass judgment about the business as a whole. This is an investment business, where results in terms of portfolio performance are crucial. With this in mind it is great that Ruffer hires truly passionate investors who have a geeky obsession for... analysing businesses/global asset markets. The company nurtures a culture where curiosity and thirst for knowledge are encouraged and celebrated. Ruffer also has one of the most friendly and supportive company cultures I have come across, helping younger members to develop rather than intimidating them. There are no arrogant egos at the firm. In the research department the older, senior members seem to retain a a youthful passion for investment and a humble attitude to the investment process despite their past successes. In the client facing side of the business it was great to see that all the senior fund managers genuinely care about their clients. All of the fund managers seem to have a large portion of their personal wealth invested in exactly the same portfolio structure as the clients whom they serve, so for instance when the clients suffer from dull performance, their fund managers suffer with them and feel the same frustration. And vice versa in good times. Despite its growing size, the company is making great efforts to retain the friendly family atmosphere of a smaller firm.

Cons

I have very little negative to say. Any points I could make would be minor and purely preference based rather than criticisms that I would expect others to agree with. I left for personal reasons that require me to be in Japan. Due to its own success, the firm is growing in size and as a result is introducing certain institutional processes in order to control an increasingly large organisation. Elements of this... involve trial and error, and the firm will not always get it exactly right first time.

Advice to Management

I am enormously grateful for all of the opportunities and experiences that I benefitted from through the years at Ruffer. The firm supported through my CFA exams, and through my development in the early years of making investment recommendations. I hope that the great long term performance track record continues and that Ruffer goes from strength to strength in both the financial and the cultural aspects.

Ruffer2018-09-01

September 5, 2018Head of HR

Thank you for such positive feedback. We work hard to cultivate a friendly and inclusive environment where everyone can thrive. Wishing you the best of luck in your new role.

"Fantastic culture and exceptionally good at what they do"

Investment Associate in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment and employees are really taken care of. Training and development opportunities are of a high standard. It is a privilege to work amongst leaders in the industry.

Cons

Some soon to be automated manual processes in operations lack efficiency but this is in development. Integration between front and back office should continue to be a focus.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Ruffer is a uniquely happy place to work.

Ruffer2018-03-15

August 20, 2018Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback, we really appreciate it. We fully support all of our employees in their continued learning and development, throughout their career with us. In terms of the manual processes, this is an area where we are working hard to improve. By using automation to integrate our systems we hope to make this much more efficient.

8. "Does almost everything the right way"

I have been working at Ruffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meritocracy where people’s views are heard. Remuneration is very solid. Best place I’ve ever worked.

Cons

Growing company means it struggles to maintain the family atmosphere

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Ruffer2017-11-28
  9. "Exceptional company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer part-time

Pros

Ruffer is a truly exceptional company with a very positive culture. So many firms say they put clients' interests first and really care about their staff - but Ruffer really does. The working atmosphere is collegiate, meritocratic and constructive and the working regime is sensible. Working at Ruffer gives people all of the positives of working in financial services and very few of the negatives in terms of hours... and unpleasant behaviour

Cons

Historically, decisions and change seemed to be a bit slow to happen but that is now changing with some recent very positive management changes

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing

Ruffer2017-11-21
  10. "Amazing first job!"

Former Employee - Investment Assistant in London, England

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly open plan office. Encourage independence and have a strong focus on learning and development. Value work life balance and encourage social activity! I really enjoyed coming to work each day! Pay and perks were also very generous. Facilities team very efficient!

Cons

Sometimes you could face a few delays regarding issues involving HR and there was an eerie and uncomfortable air of mystery when people were fired and disappeared off the face of the earth!

Advice to Management

Staffwide communication - I think Clemmie is starting it off very well! Enjoyed the monthly all staff meetings.

Ruffer2017-10-16