Rustic Pathways Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rustic Pathways CEO Chris Stakich
Chris Stakich
Pros
Cons
  • "Low salaries, mostly remote work force(in 9 reviews)

• "excessive workload, low pay, minimal to no options for professional growth, family environment has given way to corporate structure(in 6 reviews)

1. "Outreach and Development"

Current Employee - Development and Outreach Coordinator in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than a year

Pros

- travel - co-workers, the other people who work for this company are amazing and so passionate - working with students - perks, they really take care of you and you get to work remote - they give you a lot of autonomy to do what you believe is best

Cons

- it can be a lot of personal responsibility - sometimes working remote and traveling can be lonely - it is a sales job, so there is always the rejection that come along with that - not the highest pay, but there are other perks

Rustic Pathways2018-12-17
  2. "Incredible company, amazing people, important mission"

Former Employee - Program Leader

I worked at Rustic Pathways part-time

Pros

Incredible travel opportunities and you get to work with people with the same foundational beliefs from around the world

Cons

Pay is too low for the level of commitment they expect

Rustic Pathways2019-08-28

August 28, 2019Rustic Pathways

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and insight. Program Leaders are the heart and soul of our operation, and we appreciate all that you've contributed!

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Leadership change in 2019 ruined company and culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rustic Pathways used to be an incredible place to work. It was fun, had a high-performing and supportive company culture, and was truly mission driven. It attracted an awesome group of employees, leadership was transparent and respectful, and there was a real desire to expand our global impact. That is no longer the case. In September 2019 Rustic was acquired by a PE Fund called Sabot Family Companies. They... are arrogant, manipulative, and micromanagers to an unbelievable degree. (The exact same thing happened to the one other company they took over, look it up on Glassdoor it's called Alert1. )

Cons

The truth is if you are reading this you missed the boat on when Rustic was a great company to work for. Walk away, it isn't worth it. They will sell you on a mission and a vision that is no longer real. The new version of Rustic's #1 priority is profit (not so it can grow, take care of its people, or do more in communities). Just good old fashioned "make the investors as much $$ as possible" profit. Pay - has... always been low (and for employees they didn't lay off they actually decreased wages). My guess is salaries are 30% below market rate. No raises either. Benefits - some of the poorest benefits out there. No 401k match, mediocre insurance, and most of the fun perks that used to exist are gone too. Culture - it is nothing like it used to be. Leadership - current leadership drove the company into financial hardship, so much so that they basically forced themselves into selling out to the new owners. Then they laid off 30% of the employees but kept themselves around. Severance - in recent lay offs they capped severance at 4 weeks. Some employees have been here for over 14 years and they were let go with no warning and given 4 weeks. It's disgraceful.

Advice to Management

You're losing everything about Rustic that made it special. I hope all of this is worth it for you in the end.

Rustic Pathways2019-09-13

September 25, 2019

We would like to thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experiences with us. We would love to understand more regarding areas that we can continue to grow and improve and would like an opportunity to learn more about some of your concerns, specifically around company culture, which we truly value. We would also like an opportunity to review our benefits with you in more detail. We are proud to offer employees a broad range of competitive benefit options. Our goal is to create a safe space that would allow you to feel comfortable connecting with us and sharing your thoughts and experiences in an open environment. Please reach out to us at hr@rusticpathways.com and you can share your experiences by email, or we can schedule a time to speak openly.

5. "Self-Direction is a Must"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid-back policy, they don't micromanage. Very much a question of "can you do self-directed work". Remote work is 100% nd they're serious about decentralization; you'll mostly interact with your direct manager and that's it. Great for working from home.

Cons

Not overly cohesive in some departments, a lot of silo-ing, marketing does a great job but the company focuses 90% of resources into one revenue stream (student summer programs). Salaries are low and set for small-town Ohio standards, so if you live in a larger/more expensive city in USA don't expect to make much. No 401(k) matching programs, health insurance is standard. Not a lot of fast career growth, but if you... stay for several years you can jump around departments.

Advice to Management

We're not prepared for the next economic downturn cycle, while limiting debt is a good preparation our programs will be unavailable/undesirable to most families when budgets begin tightening. Chris is competent and a great CEO and I like management personally but this concerns me.

Rustic Pathways2019-07-24
  6. "Mission-driven company, remote work"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission-aligned Company, Remote job, Relatively Flexible Hours, Professional development opportunities, Amazing Co-workers, Visionary CEO

Cons

No 401k Match, Compensation does not meet workload, Not many opportunities for advancement, Can be stressful

Advice to Management

Invest in employee compensation and 401k match to sustain top talent.

Rustic Pathways2019-04-17
  7. "It's an adventure"

I worked at Rustic Pathways full-time

Pros

Travel Great co-workers Health benefits - costly, but exceptional coverage

Cons

Pay - not bad, but could use improvement Workload - understaffed so expect to wear multiple hats

Advice to Management

Hire additional staff in the support/admin side of things

Rustic Pathways2018-02-07
  8. "Work here if you want a remote lifestyle"

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time

Pros

- Tons of flexibility and freedom because it's a remote position - Great travel perks - Opportunities to learn different sides of a business

Cons

- Sales strategy is constantly changing, causing tension and confusion - Cheap - low salary/ commission, reluctance to invest in certain areas because the budget is always tight - Minimal incentives/ rewards - High turn over rate

Advice to Management

- Invest in good talent - Train management better - Restructure the budget - Be proactive

Rustic Pathways2018-01-19

January 23, 2018HR Manager

We're thrilled to have the opportunity to offer travel perks and flexibility to our Rustic team members! I completely agree that we want to strongly focus on investing and retaining talent, as well as prioritize training initiatives. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and great advice!

9. "Triple Bottom Line"

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a fairly unique opportunity to work with a group of like-minded individuals who share a passion for education, travel, and community engagement. In addition to being mission-driven, the team is intelligent, hard working and results-oriented. Perks include a global family, a feel-good mission, and some very fun travel opportunities. Also solid medical benefits and vacation policy.

Cons

The travel industry has taken some hits recently, which made for a rough patch in terms of hiring, but since making some adjustments to the cost structure, it feels like we're on the right track. No 401k match, which makes saving harder. Always a lot of work (can be a good thing too, because never get bored!)

Advice to Management

As we grow, please focus on maintaining the "family" culture, and creating opportunities for bonding, since so many of us work remotely.

Rustic Pathways2017-10-23

October 23, 2017Rustic Pathways

Excellent advice to management, thank you! Decreasing isolation and promoting opportunities to work together is something that we're very focused on for this year. We appreciate your candor and feedback.

10. "Best People. Best Lifestyle."

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Remote, OR

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people, Rustic's relationships with global communities, immersive travel opportunities, variety of work, CEO cares about every level of the company, supportive network, ability to work remotely and take ownership, Rustic's mission/vision/values are closely aligned with my personal vision and life goals.

Cons

Hiring freezes, long hiring process.

Rustic Pathways2017-10-19

October 20, 2017Rustic Pathways

We agree with you that there is room for improvement in the hiring process, especially when it comes to speed! Finding and hiring individuals (like you!) who share our mission, vision, and values can be a lengthy process. Thank you for sharing this feedback.

11. "Consistently Impressed by the People of Rustic Pathways"

Current Employee - Country Manager

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Amazing network of inspiring individuals spanning the globe - Do work that contributes to the very best opportunities to enrich lives around the world - Leadership really strives to live up to the mission, vision and values through partnerships like Thrival Academies - Healthy feedback culture, great place to learn skills

Cons

- Sales outreach can be a grind, but rewarding - Summers are busy

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Rustic Pathways2017-10-12

October 20, 2017Rustic Pathways

Thank you for your feedback, and for the years that you have dedicated to Rustic Pathways. We could not achieve all that we do without employees like yourself. Fostering a culture of professional development is really important to us so we're happy to hear that you find Rustic Pathways to be a great environment to develop new skills.

Found 83 reviews