SEAKR Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Ray Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hardware Engineer Intern"

I worked at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Good Learning environment. Good People and Mentors all around. Small company feel (Never felt like a number). Cool projects and great tools to get the job done.

Cons

I had no complaints about this company.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the grassroots company feels as long as you can.

2. "If you are a smart ambitious introverted workaholic, it could be a great opportunity"

Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, great salary, great advancement opportunities

Cons

Stressful, non existent work-life balance, cliquish, not a friendly place to work

Advice to Management

If a rule applies to one, then it should apply to all.

SEAKR Engineering Response

Nov 15, 2017 – Human Resources Administrator

Thank you very much for your feedback, SEAKR is always looking for ways to improve and increase employee job satisfaction. We actually offer a lot of clubs that are open to all employees including... More

"Love Coming to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- It's hard
    - Owners invested in success of company. Love this - I've seen a years worth of uninformed jerking around get sidestepped by a little executive decision.
    - A lot less of the inefficiencies that the primes have - if you've been there, you know.
    - Real engineering, if you want it (and are willing to put in the effort to get it)

Cons

Need to put all of these in context:

- It's hard.

Some people actually see this as a negative. I enjoy the technical challenge, but there are plenty of people in this world with engineering degrees that just want a crank to turn. If that's your bag, go to the primes.

- Pay is very low for the area

No denying it. Every engineer here knows they could move to Lockheed and get an instant 30-40k a year increase. In the past year, I've had salaries of 130-150k floated to me for my role, and I make about 85k. Of course, working at Lockheed or Ball has some serious drawbacks, but only a fool would think that a giant bag of money like that is not an incentive for good people to look elsewhere. Granted, money is of minimal interest to me....but I'm not the norm.

- Zero onboarding

There is no formal or informal training system set up for new hires (at least for technical staff). This is not to say that mentorship doesn't exist - it does, but only if you seek it out yourself. You're going to have to hammer it out for yourself. The company very much has a "sink or swim" mentality. Also, a some people that want to have technical roles wind up pushing paper. You have to assert yourself and actively manage your career or depend on Lady Luck. I've always found her to be tempestuous on her best days.

- Overtime

All overtime is unpaid (as it should be). But folks in certain roles are expected to put in as many hours as is required to get the job done. This isn't really a "seat time" requirement - it's more of a "does the unit actually pass the tests?" job.

- Program Management

This is my one real bone to pick - management perenially signs up programs for unrealistic schedules, timelines, costs, design constraints, etc. that are completely untenable. Granted, some of that is the customer asking for round squares that have negative mass while being invisible, but also blue (looking at you Lockheed), while landing on the surface of the sun. But the majority is program management never bothering to try to tell the customer that "No, you cannot in fact hammer a square peg the size of a Buick through the eye of a needle." Not all problems have solutions. Program management doesn't push back on customer fetishes nearly enough. I'm sorry, if you want a widget that does X, Y, and Z and you want it in 18 months, then you're going to have to make some design concesssions. But management signs up the technical staff to things that are unrealistic and all sorts of mania has to happen at the end of the program in order to meet requirements.

- An unrealistic dependence upon "heritage"

The entire industry loves the idea of "heritage" because of the perception that the risk is minimal. Trouble is, your designs have not flown before. Management has fallen in love with the notion that because they convinced a customer in eternity past to fly something in one configuration, it must be fine for every customer in the future, regardless of how its used. It is very easy for aerospace (the industry) to fool itself. This is endemic within the industry, but because SEAKR is a small company, the consequences for screwing up a "heritage" design are huge. Management would love to konw these sorts of things, but not entirely clear that they're given the complete story (at least, until it blows up in their face).

Advice to Management

- Institute a real, legitimate training process for new hires. The ones that are any good are going to realize they're learning nothing and not growing in any meaningful way. Those are the ones you want to keep, but in the current climate they're going to leave as soon as they get a chance. And people like ball dangling six figure salaries in front of guys with 2 years experience doing nothing but jerking Excel ar
    ound are eventually going to steal your raw materials.

- Start paying more consistent with the market in the city. Housing in Denver alone last year rose by 12%. If you want top shelf engineering talent, you're gonna have to pay for it. It's not like they aren't worth it. Want someone with 20 years of RF design and verification experience? He's not going to come work here for 100k a year - LM will pay them nearly twice that.

- Stop fooling yourselves - "heritage" designs that have never flown are not proven in any sense of the word.

4. "Excellent company, great culture, benefits"

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, flexibility, responsibilities, challenging projects

Cons

Minimal training and fast paced

"Worst company environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Give me a while to come up with one

Cons

Management is disrespectful to some employees
    Clique environment
    Good ole boys way; women don't apply!
    Treat people different because of political affiliations
    Too many to list.

Advice to Management

I doubt management cares about reviews other than to make fun of them as seen first hand.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is work hard, play hard. Strong family feel. Decisions are made quickly.
    PM role is given much responsibility, and then held accountable for the results. High level of ethics wrt customer communications.

Cons

If your program is behind, expect to work long hours and weekends. Just a fact of life. Hiring typically lags program need. Your program may feel short on resources, but as the PM you're expected to make it work.

"Easy going environment, good people, excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-flexible schedule --> depends on your boss
    -good pay
    -excellent benefits --> HSA, IRA, ample vacation time, unlimited sick days
    -challenging --> work hard, play hard mentality

Cons

-no training program but there is a comprehensive orientation process
    --> do not apply if you are not prepared to work hard on challenging projects.

"Really Great Place to Work, but with some Fast-Paced Blunders and small downsides"

Current Employee - PMP Engineer
    Current Employee - PMP Engineer

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SEAKR has the best benefits I've come across. They have a SEP-IRA plan with very large contributions made by the employer, and it's funded quarterly. The health plan is also very good, with extremely reasonable deductibles and co-pays. It's obvious by the amount of cost the owners eat every year in premium increases that they really care about their employees. They do a lot of work to try and keep benefits good and costs manageable for the employee.

SEAKR also manufactures and builds everything in house. Not just final products but test equipment, software, ground support equipment, etc. This makes the experience here quite invaluable, because you get to see first hand parts of the design and production process you wouldn't get to see anywhere else.

The atmosphere is also heavily geared towards a good work-life balance. You'll find employees playing volleyball or soccer at lunch, organizing happy hours and birthday celebrations. But when it's go time and there's a deadline, everyone buckles down and goes above and beyond to get the work done. It's neat to see. And because the employees work hard and play hard, you do have flexibility in schedule to make doctor appointments, life events, etc.

Overall, it's one of the best companies I've worked for so far. I really enjoy the atmosphere and the work is challenging.

Cons

It has definite growing pains. It started as an extremely small company (<50 people) and has grown to 10x that size (500+ and counting). As a result, documentation trails are a little sketchy and majority of knowledge on how SEAKR gets things done is tribal. It's fairly common to have to hunt down the right person to find the correct process or report reference. Communication across disciplines is a little strained also. What's well known in product assurance or manufacturing doesn't necessarily always make it back to hardware design or test...

SEAKR will also put themselves in intentional time crunches to win programs, which does sometimes result in undo strain on the employees to get everything done in overly-zealous time frames. It's a definite trial by fire kind of pace, and it's not for everyone. I do enjoy it sometimes -- rather be busy than bored.

Advice to Management

Management here goes above and beyond to show their employees they are valued. I really like it.

9. "Human Resources"

I worked at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Great company benefits and culture. Working hard and doing your best usually allows flexibility/understanding when it comes to work/life balance.

Cons

Not many cons when it comes to this company except typical growing pains as the company expanded.

10. "Great place to work, assuming your adaptable"

Current Employee - Program Control Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Program Control Analyst in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Environment
    - Recognition of Achievements
    - Location
    - Interesting Products

Cons

- Growing Pains
    - Process Improvement needed
    - Highly Variable workload

Advice to Management

Invest in process improvement and training programs.