SEAKR Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Ray Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Space Innovation on a Silent level"

Current Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership and management is always looking out for your best interest! It feels great knowing that the owners will give us their time and resources to help you succeed and grow. There are great benefits, catered lunches, flexible work schedule. All co-workers seem to want to genuinely want to help and do their part. It is really a family feel here and everyone is apart of the family!. I love coming to work everyday! and the retirement plant is one of the best I have ever had. Unlike a 401K where you have to put your own money so the company can match you 5%, SEAKR does not. They just give you the money into a retirement fund and it is at least minimum 12% every quarter. So your money is your money.

Cons

Like any small to mid size company that wants to grow and expand into other future businesses, you have growing pains. However this is nothing like big corporations where its cutthroat... I honestly cannot find a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Thank you to the Andersons!

2. "Great technical work, management needs some work."

Current Employee - Engineer II - FPGA Design in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer II - FPGA Design in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technical engineering work is amazing, and the products are incredible.

Cons

Programs are continually under staffed and held to unrealistic schedules. Compensation for the extra effort needed to push programs to success is minimal at best.

Advice to Management

Stop taking your engineers for granted, and start learning from past mistakes.

3. "manager"

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Like most companies, you make it what it is - lots of opportunities, cool products being built, good people to work with....

Cons

some naysayers - try to avoid them and focus on job

"If you are a smart ambitious introverted workaholic, it could be a great opportunity"

Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, great salary, great advancement opportunities

Cons

Stressful, non existent work-life balance, cliquish, not a friendly place to work

Advice to Management

If a rule applies to one, then it should apply to all.

SEAKR Engineering Response

Nov 15, 2017 – Human Resources Administrator

Thank you very much for your feedback, SEAKR is always looking for ways to improve and increase employee job satisfaction. We actually offer a lot of clubs that are open to all employees including... More

5. "Hardware Engineer Intern"

I worked at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Good Learning environment. Good People and Mentors all around. Small company feel (Never felt like a number). Cool projects and great tools to get the job done.

Cons

I had no complaints about this company.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the grassroots company feels as long as you can.

"Love Coming to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- It's hard
    - Owners invested in success of company. Love this - I've seen a years worth of uninformed jerking around get sidestepped by a little executive decision.
    - A lot less of the inefficiencies that the primes have - if you've been there, you know.
    - Real engineering, if you want it (and are willing to put in the effort to get it)

Cons

Need to put all of these in context:

- It's hard.

Some people actually see this as a negative. I enjoy the technical challenge, but there are plenty of people in this world with engineering degrees that just want a crank to turn. If that's your bag, go to the primes.

- Pay is very low for the area

No denying it. Every engineer here knows they could move to Lockheed and get an instant 30-40k a year increase. In the past year, I've had salaries of 130-150k floated to me for my role, and I make about 85k. Of course, working at Lockheed or Ball has some serious drawbacks, but only a fool would think that a giant bag of money like that is not an incentive for good people to look elsewhere. Granted, money is of minimal interest to me....but I'm not the norm.

- Zero onboarding

There is no formal or informal training system set up for new hires (at least for technical staff). This is not to say that mentorship doesn't exist - it does, but only if you seek it out yourself. You're going to have to hammer it out for yourself. The company very much has a "sink or swim" mentality. Also, a some people that want to have technical roles wind up pushing paper. You have to assert yourself and actively manage your career or depend on Lady Luck. I've always found her to be tempestuous on her best days.

- Overtime

All overtime is unpaid (as it should be). But folks in certain roles are expected to put in as many hours as is required to get the job done. This isn't really a "seat time" requirement - it's more of a "does the unit actually pass the tests?" job.

- Program Management

This is my one real bone to pick - management perenially signs up programs for unrealistic schedules, timelines, costs, design constraints, etc. that are completely untenable. Granted, some of that is the customer asking for round squares that have negative mass while being invisible, but also blue (looking at you Lockheed), while landing on the surface of the sun. But the majority is program management never bothering to try to tell the customer that "No, you cannot in fact hammer a square peg the size of a Buick through the eye of a needle." Not all problems have solutions. Program management doesn't push back on customer fetishes nearly enough. I'm sorry, if you want a widget that does X, Y, and Z and you want it in 18 months, then you're going to have to make some design concesssions. But management signs up the technical staff to things that are unrealistic and all sorts of mania has to happen at the end of the program in order to meet requirements.

- An unrealistic dependence upon "heritage"

The entire industry loves the idea of "heritage" because of the perception that the risk is minimal. Trouble is, your designs have not flown before. Management has fallen in love with the notion that because they convinced a customer in eternity past to fly something in one configuration, it must be fine for every customer in the future, regardless of how its used. It is very easy for aerospace (the industry) to fool itself. This is endemic within the industry, but because SEAKR is a small company, the consequences for screwing up a "heritage" design are huge. Management would love to konw these sorts of things, but not entirely clear that they're given the complete story (at least, until it blows up in their face).

Advice to Management

- Institute a real, legitimate training process for new hires. The ones that are any good are going to realize they're learning nothing and not growing in any meaningful way. Those are the ones you want to keep, but in the current climate they're going to leave as soon as they get a chance. And people like ball dangling six figure salaries in front of guys with 2 years experience doing nothing but jerking Excel ar
    ound are eventually going to steal your raw materials.

- Start paying more consistent with the market in the city. Housing in Denver alone last year rose by 12%. If you want top shelf engineering talent, you're gonna have to pay for it. It's not like they aren't worth it. Want someone with 20 years of RF design and verification experience? He's not going to come work here for 100k a year - LM will pay them nearly twice that.

- Stop fooling yourselves - "heritage" designs that have never flown are not proven in any sense of the word.

7. "Excellent company, great culture, benefits"

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, flexibility, responsibilities, challenging projects

Cons

Minimal training and fast paced

"Worst company environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at SEAKR Engineering full-time

Pros

Give me a while to come up with one

Cons

Management is disrespectful to some employees
    Clique environment
    Good ole boys way; women don't apply!
    Treat people different because of political affiliations
    Too many to list.

Advice to Management

I doubt management cares about reviews other than to make fun of them as seen first hand.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is work hard, play hard. Strong family feel. Decisions are made quickly.
    PM role is given much responsibility, and then held accountable for the results. High level of ethics wrt customer communications.

Cons

If your program is behind, expect to work long hours and weekends. Just a fact of life. Hiring typically lags program need. Your program may feel short on resources, but as the PM you're expected to make it work.

"Easy going environment, good people, excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-flexible schedule --> depends on your boss
    -good pay
    -excellent benefits --> HSA, IRA, ample vacation time, unlimited sick days
    -challenging --> work hard, play hard mentality

Cons

-no training program but there is a comprehensive orientation process
    --> do not apply if you are not prepared to work hard on challenging projects.