SayABC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2018

3.8
Guan Wang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Contractor - Contracted Teacher
    Current Contractor - Contracted Teacher

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Where to begin! I have been working for this company since they started and there have been some huge improvements over the years as more and more updates to the platform have been made. You work from home, the kids are amazing, quick and responsive IT department, choose your hours, the pay is great, fantastic bonuses, contests and prizes... I could go on and on. Mostly, I love that it allows me to make enough money to support myself while only working a few hours a day. This allows me to go back to school full time and still have some time to myself.

Cons

I really can't think of any...

"Overall a great way to make some extra money"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor

Pros

-Everyone interaction I've had with the company during recruitment/training and now as an employee has been nothing but positive. They are very kind and understanding and go out of their way to work with you.

-You are assigned classes, you don't have to promote yourself! This was huge for me. Within 2 days of being signing my contract, I had 70% of my slots booked (and this was actually more than I wanted to start out with haha). It was nice to actually feel needed.

-The kids are hilarious and really make an effort to work with you. For some of them, the lessons are really tough (especially in the trial classes) but they are always positive and continue to follow along the best they can.

-Pay is definitely comparable to other online ESL teaching companies.

Cons

-This job is part-time. If you are looking for 40+ hours a week, it isn't going to happen here (and for me, I was only looking for 10-15 hours a week so it's not really a con).

-Every once in awhile you'll have a kid or a parent who makes getting through the lesson rather difficult. This has been rare though.

-Teaching back-to-back-back-back classes is a bit exhausting, but afterwards you've earned $80 + so it's usually worth it.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Just appreciative of the opportunity to supplement the income from my full-time job by working at this awesome company. I hope they renew my contract in 2 months!

"Teacher"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work. Unlike other companies the parents don't select the teacher. A teacher can concentrate on teaching and not marketing themselves constantly. The platform is interactive. It is so much easier to teach than the static PowerPoints of other companies. The homeroom set up really helps build relationships between the students and me and among each other. It helps the students develop and practice their English in a very natural way. The SAYABC staff have always been exceptionally helpful. They don't look to penalize you for an honest mistake.

Cons

I don't really have any particular cons. The early hours are just part of the job. It would be nice if evening hours (Central time) would be available as they are in other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I really love SAYABC.

4. "Inaccurate Booking Information"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Newport News, VA
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Newport News, VA

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company, interview process was easy. They book the classes for you, no lesson planning.

Cons

Very, Very low booking. I signed up with SayABC because of the promise of 90% booking for classes. On average, I'm teaching 1 class a day. Right now, I'm very unhappy with the salary that I am making.

Advice to Management

When you have hard-working, dependable and dedicated teachers, who love teaching and the kids and want to work and help grow your business, why not filled their slots (like myself). Getting very low booking is very FRUSTRATING, especially when you are dedicated and open all slots on a daily basis. Advertising that that there is a 90% booking is false advertisement, to attract teachers, then when they're hired.....the booking is very very low and not even close to what is being advertised. When I inquire about this issues, all I get is - "we will try to book you more sub classes, please be patient!" I didn't sign up to be a sub teacher....I don't mind being a sub, but I would like for my slots to be filled on a regular basis and then, be a sub teacher as needed. Please be fair!

"Great company for online teaching"

Current Contractor - Online ESL Teacher
    Current Contractor - Online ESL Teacher

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of online teaching opportunities and I definitely did a lot of research before choosing SayABC. I chose them because they have a fair contract and a truly fabulous platform. Their PPTs and materials from National Geographic are slick, fun, and interactive. You don't have to plan anything, just check over the PPT and make sure you know how you're going to teach it. Once you're accustomed to the lessons, planning time is minimal. You need to provide feedback for students, but not that often and it's not too much. They have English-speaking support staff that have really good English. They are also super quick about responding to teacher queries. I had several years of classroom ESL experience, but online teaching is a bit different, so the SayABC trainings (free trainings) on the platform were super useful. My first week of teaching was just two weeks ago, and I had four classes scheduled. I was a bit rusty at first, but paid attention to the training suggestions and did my best to improve. Now, for week 3, I already have over 15 time slots filled. If you put in the effort to teach in the style that SayABC prefers, you can get time slots filled up quickly.

Cons

The hours I suppose, since it is early in the morning or late at night. And wearing headphones for several classes in a row gets a bit uncomfortable. But the actual work and communication with the company is great.

Also, they say you should have an ethernet connection when you teach, and please make sure to have one! I got a USB to ethernet cable for my laptop and it is an absolute must! I have not had a single problem with technology on my end.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Bookings are low"

Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SayABC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their pay is good.
    Staff is usually friendly.

Cons

Scheduled classes are not consistent. I have worked for SayABC for a year. During this time I had consistent bookings. I then needed to go on a week long vacation. As a result, I had to lose all of my homerooms and start over. It has now been two weeks without any bookings. This company is not flexible with vacation or anytime off. Bookings are low at the moment because they have over hired. If you work for SayABC, make sure you have a backup plan incase your bookings get low.

"They lure you in with bookings, then nada"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SayABC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An alternative to Vipkid. Better pay.

Cons

They just stop booking you after a month, even after you've converted trials. Then they send you a cut and pasted email telling you to open up your availability, even when your availability is wide open. They tell you that classes are few and far between, but little do they know that you belong to a group of working SayABC teachers. This is where you witness other teachers getting the bookings SayABC says they don't have. It's frustrating.

Advice to Management

If there's a problem with someone's teaching style, let them know. Don't string them along with half-truths. If a teacher has never received negative feedback, is available to teach and has converted trials...book them.

"Needs some Improvements"

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great kids and rewarding teaching experience
    Pick your own availability
    Classes assigned based on teacher commitment (you are not ranked or forced to compete other teachers)
    No penalty fees and ability to take time off

Cons

Terrible communication. During the onboarding process many of my questions were never answered by teacher support
    Extremely Low bookings due to low season, but they are still hiring teachers. I have 2 classes booked next week out of the 24 class times I submitted.
    Not reliable income
    Horrible standby policy, they have called to assign me classes 15 minutes after the class started

Advice to Management

Please work on your communication with teachers and stop adverstising a 90% booking rate and hiring more teachers when you know you are in a low season. With these improvements you could be one of the best online ESL companies.

9. "ESL teacher"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SayABC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work with! You can select your own hours!

Cons

There are some times that can be really slow so it's hard to 100% depend on this company.

"An enjoyable work experience in every aspect"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online English Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at SayABC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After much consideration and research on which online teaching company to go with, I absolutely could not be happier that I chose SayABC (and that they chose me!). Their platform is unparalleled: it is user-friendly, engaging, and makes every class fun for the children. The teaching material is easy to understand while simultaneously making each class a fun event every single time. Their support and IT teams are absolutely fantastic. Any problem I've ever had, from big to small, is answered and solved almost immediately. They are also incredibly understanding in terms of situations beyond your control and are always ready to help. If you want to work for a company with a team that cares as much about its employees as it does its students, SayABC is the place for you. They value and respect their teacher's time and effort and working for them is one day of fun adventure after another!

Cons

The time difference can definitely have its disadvantages (if you’re living in the US EST that means teaching hours start at 6 AM). But you get used to it and once you see the kids faces its like three cups of coffee! They are still a new company and there have been kinks to be sorted out but thats to be expected and their response to them all has been swift, responsible and fair.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more trial classes with students at similar levels and ages. It can be very tricky when you have one student who is quite advanced and another who is a true beginner with no English whatsoever. I also think some sort of short tutorial for students and parents before trial classes could be useful in terms of students knowing how to use the mouse and emphasizing wearing headphones. But overall I continue to be very pleased with the company staff.