Schoolzilla Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Schoolzilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people who are driven and fun to work with. Great culture and really motivating product to work on.

Cons

Small company means that things don't get done as quickly as you'd like because the team isn't big enough to take on all of the work that should be done.

Advice to Management

After being a company for five years with mostly the same set of core leaders, I think a change at the top might be valuable, but also maybe not.

2. "Great people"

I worked at Schoolzilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice people who are passionate about the mission

Cons

Challenging to build a business model selling into K12

3. "Supportive leadership and an awesome team"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schoolzilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The Team: they are super passionate about their mission, very talented, and just generally nice people to work with.
    - The Leaders: everything I said about the team but double. They're very supportive of their team and generally quite transparent.
    - The Customers: Schoolzilla has typically had a highly-engaged customer base of school districts and charter networks. Almost all of the "Data Champions" at those organizations are great people to work with as well.

Cons

- There can be a great deal of ambiguity at times (that may be getting better with their new product, Mosaic)
    - Professional growth opportunities for Product Managers/Designers are limited because not many people on the team have Product experience outside of the company

4. "Great experience with a startup"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schoolzilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, caring coworkers and great learning environment. Wonderful Leadership Team and mission driven culture

Cons

Typical startup growing pains. Ambiguity around goals/product due to being in a very unique space.

5. "Amazing culture - mission driven - challenging"

I have been working at Schoolzilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driven by our values. Teammates. Flexible schedule. Ability to work remotely/from home. Transparency.

Cons

Teams / managers change often.

6. "Dedicated team, driven by its mission"

Pros

In today’s job market, it’s so rare to find a company that is truly dedicated to its mission. Aside from working with a strategic and thoughtful team, employees are committed to helping school and district leaders to use data to run great schools and change students’ lives.

Cons

Like most small startups, things move quickly at Schoolzilla—it’s fast-pace, ambiguous at times, and changes can lead to shifting project priorities.

"Teammates, values, and focusing on students"

I have been working at Schoolzilla full-time

Pros

There are three things that make this company the best place I have ever worked. First, I really appreciate working with some empathetic, hard-working, and funny people. Second, our team truly lives by their values, especially the focus on the mission. Last, having been here for a few years, I can see how much we improve year over year. The day to day can be really messy, but stepping back, it's exciting to make real progress on an important issue with people I enjoy.

Cons

We are working to be a diverse organization, but we're not there yet. We've done a lot to look in the mirror on ways we can improve, but I would like to us make bigger strides in this area.

8. "Great Company!"

Pros

Benefits. People. Cause. Food. Projects.

Cons

Things can be a little slow moving and disorganized.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the only problems seemed to be growing pains!

9. "Data Visualization Analyst"

I have been working at Schoolzilla full-time

Pros

Schoolzilla is focused on serving students and schools - which means listening to and designing products based on input from the people who are using them. It also has a great company culture, where people support and respect each other, have lots of autonomy, love to learn, work smart and laugh a lot.

Cons

Fast-paced, ambiguity and frequent changes in project goals and priorities

"Great people, purpose and product and management is awesome!!"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Schoolzilla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People - The people I work with are awesome! No joke - I love working with 100% of the people. They are passionate, humble, intelligent, and deeply knowledgeable in their domain. I've never been at a company where the people are this good! I believe there are several key things make this environment so great: 1) Upper management fosters the culture by example, 2) There are frequent, very small, check-ins to help people provide and receive feedback, and 3) the hiring process is "humane" - you don't feel like another number or an idiot-for-not-knowing-the-answer-to-problem-x during the interview process. Don't get me wrong - the interview process is tough - you are just not made to feel ridiculously inept after the interview

Purpose - The purpose of company (a Public Benefit Corporation) to enable teachers, schools, parents and students to make education better with data is a great purpose and gives you the "warm fuzzies" when you solve tough problems for customers

Product - The product meets the needs of its users in the way the users need the product. Having a very user focused product makes the product attractive and being close to the customer is very validating when we can solve problems for that customer.

Cons

As with any startup or smallish company, documentation is lacking and "tribal knowledge" abounds. Breaking through both of these issues is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of fostering an excellent work environment and driving the vision to help make education better!