Seer Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Wil Reynolds

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"employee"

I have been working at Seer Interactive full-time

Pros

culture and the room for growth

Cons

can't think of any yet

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management

Mar 30, 2018 – Founder

This review felt like spam to me (we've had major issues with people submitting multiple reviews), maybe it isn't but most of our positive reviews have so much more detail, I flagged it told them... More

"Hope you get the right accounts and mentors, then you're all set! Otherwise, good luck..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You will learn a lot very quickly about the discipline you joined; SEO, Paid Search, and Analytics.
    -Tenure doesn't really mean much.
    -Good character is highly valued at Seer. There was someone at one time who tried to frame another coworker by putting the blame on someone else. Once management found out, the wrongdoer was fired, quick! This happened even though the wrongdoer was superior to the victim.
    -If you can magically manage to find time for going to industry conferences, Seer will make sure you get the opportunity.
    -If you are able to level up your coworkers and help grow the company's bottom line, you will be promoted quickly and be referred to as "an impact player", as Wil calls them.
    -Excellent benefits for a small company.
    -Charity driven work-culture; that's how the company started.
    -Wil is awesome, along with a few other lifers. Don't believe other reviews putting him down. It's. Simply. Not. True.

Cons

-Marketing is more than just SEO and PPC. You will not learn much about other channels.
    -Seer is set up so that you have to be good at many things; client communication, coaching, sharing your knowledge, etc. If you want to excel at a few things, this is not the place for you.
    -Work load is too much. I know people getting physically affected (panic attacks, other stress related incidents) from the work load. Managers do try to help but even they are helpless because of the sheer amount of work. Even though weekend work isn't required officially, it's unavoidable most times. To make things worse, since leveling up your team is a big part of getting promoted here, if you don't have weekends and after hours free to do that, you'll have a hard time getting promoted.
    -I consistently saw associates coached by certain team leads/account managers across divisions get promoted; meaning, not all TLs/AMs have the ability to coach new members (it's not favoritism as mentioned on many of these reviews, just that Seer has to do a better job of training the trainers).
    -Just like any other agency, the kind of accounts you get is a HUGE factor in the quality of your experience here, as well as ability to get promoted/recognized. This was the BIGGEST disappointment I had while at Seer. I thought Seer would have been better.
    -Technically inclined individuals do not have many opportunities for progress. You have to want to be customer facing.
    -Dogs allowed.
    -Wil cannot be cloned.

Advice to Management

Directors and team leads should recognize that being able to show results is not dependent solely on a person's ability but also the opportunities the person gets. Shuffle teams around to give other capable people opportunities to shine. Also, team leads should be aware of what's happening with their accounts at all times, not just when things go south. At that time, everything that happened before comes into question and if those things were different than what the TL had in mind, TLs question the associates' and AMs' thought process, hurting them in their advancement.

"If you love digital marketing, awesome co-workers, and motivated by being challenged - Seer is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Seer Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Interesting clients in a variety of industries
    - Supportive, caring, and hardworking team that will have your back always
    - No day is ever the same. Seer is fast-pace and keeps you on your toes
    - Opportunities to grow. Seer is continuing to grow every year, giving more opportunities for growth, promotions, helping build new departments. There is tons of room to innovate.
    - Culture and benefits. Unlimited PTO and Work from home is a life saver. Also we have a very flexible work day schedule.

Cons

- A pro for me, but could be a con for some. Seer moves very quickly. As an agency we operate on tight deadlines and may need to pivot quickly. If you like working at a slow pace and searching for a super predictable job, then Seer is not for you.
    - No major hand holding (could also be a con for some but I love this). At Seer you are not micromanaged and need to have strong self-direction. The team is here to help, but you also need to make the time on your own to learn new things and grow your skill set- there's no hand holding.

4. "Great company. Interesting culture."

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seer is a great company, especially if you’re in your early 20s and like to hang out with coworkers after work. Everyone is super friendly and their HR team is the best. You’re working with the best in the business

Cons

Not many. The only negative was sometimes the “ideas” are flowing faster than execution can keep up with

Advice to Management

Keep up with the benefits but temper the pressure on employees by sleeping on your ideas

Mar 30, 2018 – Founder

Howdy, thank you for the kind feedback.

Its REALLY good to hear about our HR team. They work so hard, and like any division they don't get everything right but they are always open to... More

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Digital Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Seer Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

- Good atmosphere and benefits. Great team and management.

Cons

- Wish it had better working hours which would improve work/life balance.

"Most you will ever learn at a job"

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were incredibly smart, talented, and collaborative. You learn a lot.

Cons

It felt like there were clear favorites who were always being recognized.

Advice to Management

Focus on more than just the stars.

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

not a good place to work

"If you have the opportunity, work here!"

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time

Pros

Seer is full of intelligent, kind, hustlers who are both creative and analytical. You receive invaluable feedback and experience while working in an environment that cultivates growth- both in and outside of Seer. You're geared up for success from day 1! Seer's extensive training is to ensure you're up to speed on how Seer does business, along with showing you the technical tools needed to succeed.

If you have an opportunity to work with Wil Reynolds - TAKE IT. He is brilliant. Wil encourages ideas and welcomes failures. Failing means you put yourself out there and it's always better to ask for forgiveness. Dive in, and run with ideas.

Cons

Seer is an agency, don't let the jeans and flip-flops fool you. Really think to yourself if agency life is for you and it's ok if it's not! This is a FAST paced environment, you're juggling multiple projects at once and you need to be okay with last minute changes and being able to adapt to them.

Advice to Management

Continue to be encouraging and putting people first. Seer has done a great job of continuing to have a strong culture in a rapidly growing company. Your transparency is why you're a leader.

Mar 24, 2017 – Founder

Thank you so much for the kind words. Somehow that balance of intelligent and kind, continues to impress me. Given the scale of Seer, it is harder and harder to keep that alive, and we need the... More

"SEO Associate"

Former Employee - SEO Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - SEO Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seer is an incredible opportunity for passionate marketers that are eager to learn, and seeking an environment that cultivates innovation. Everything you will read about the culture is sincere, and the people you work with are authentically invested in your personal and professional happiness. The work environment is collaborative, flexible and forward-thinking. The perks are like no other, with constant company events, friendly office dogs, unlimited PTO (that everyone actually takes advantage of) and even personal budgets for bettering yourself throughout the year.

Leaderships is also incredibly empowering, and the Founder, Wil Reynolds, can spark a fire of enthusiasm in the hearts of his employees with a single presentation.

Though some of these reviews have indicated unclear promotional growth, this can also be seen as an advantage if you have the ambition and direction to know where you want to be. You can take ownership of your own professional trajectory, and Seer will fully support that. If you know what you want, your managers and team leads will want that for you as well, and help you take the steps to get there.

There are opportunities to attend AND speak at a myriad of conferences around the world, pitch new ideas and get involved in as many internal initiatives as you are interested in. Seer also encourages you to hone in on a specialty, and become an expert in your interests. The grasp that Seer has on the direction of SEO and digital marketing is incredibly dynamic and revolutionary. They aren't afraid of changing an approach if it's what is best for the client, and that's the kind of company you want to be a part of if you're specializing in something as ever-changing as digital marketing.

I personally had a very positive experience at Seer, and would recommend it 100 times over. I found some of the most amazing mentors and friends from my time there, and feel that Seer has actually made me a better person both personally and professionally. That is something that's very difficult to find.

Cons

Seer is an agency, so you'll be managing clients and be responsible for owning several moving parts on many projects. This can sometimes mean longer hours, busy schedules and maybe more work than you've handled in the past. You'll also have to manage the work/communication styles and expectations of an abundance of account managers and client contacts. You'll be challenged without a doubt. This isn't necessarily a con as much as it's an adjustment if you're first breaking into agency life. There are ALWAYS people to help you if you need that guidance, and it's much less overwhelming once you learn to establish your own limitations and schedules.

The other thing to understand is that Seer is at it's core still a search agency. So if you're only considering a position on the SEO team because you want to get involved with all of the more forward-thinking strategy Seer is breaking into, keep in mind a lot of the work you'll be doing is still rooted foundationally in SEO, because a lot of clients still need that. Again, not really a con at all, just something to keep in mind when you're setting your own expectations, because I have seen people comment negatively about it on this board. You have to help clients walk before they can run, and the difference with Seer is once they're ready to run, you have all the tools and innovations to produce some phenomenal work for them. Seer is the perfect place for that kind of strategy, you just have to have the patience and drive to seek it out.

Advice to Management

Keep being AWESOME! Your genuine care for employees is remarkable and inspiring for me, and I know the work Seer does will continue to be something I seek out and follow in my career. You have set the bar so high, and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity to have worked at Seer.

Mar 24, 2017 – Founder

Wow, thanks for the in depth review. The perks package is hard to put together, Emily and team work hard to craft a great package that also lets us keeps us financially in a good place while sharing... More

"Great agency to build a foundation"

Former Employee - SEO Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - SEO Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Seer Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

gain a better understanding for agency life
    fun, smart people
    learn the basics of digital marketing

Cons

the constant pressure of self-promotion and visibility
    favoritism
    young, often inexperienced managers and account leads

Mar 16, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thanks so much for your feedback! I'm glad to hear that you had some positive take-aways from your experience with Seer (despite some negative as well) and were able to learn alongside great people... More