Shipwire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Damon Schechter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer advocate"

Pros

Experienced management works at Shipwire

Cons

The Shipwire management demands quality

"Misguided Startup in a Corporate World"

I worked at Shipwire full-time

Pros

Working under the right people, you could easily grow your career and feel like you made a difference in the company.

Cons

Upper and executive management are clueless on the day to days. They make uninformed decisions and assumptions that cost jobs. They limit growth because they don't take yhe time to know you, only how you've fit in their ungodly expectations in such little time.

Advice to Management

Trust your people.

"The Acquisition"

I have been working at Shipwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool, smart people that love what they do. Would be awesome if they weren't skimpy on budgets and would actually staff up.

Cons

Corporate. They're definitely ingram micro even if they swear that they're not or that they operate individually.

Advice to Management

Just own it and be corporate. You're no longer shipwire so quit trying to be.

"DO NOT APPLY theres a better company out there."

Former Employee - Customer Success Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Shipwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch and the co-workers are nice.

Cons

Executives of customer success is not in sync with the management team, with a lot of secrets and never discloses the true intentions.

Just a bad environment to work for. A lot of times theres no work flow or process for our issues

Advice to Management

Please get a new Executive that oversees customer success in a positive way and not create a divide.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Shipwire full-time

Pros

There are many benefits in the office, including free lunches, ping pong, and bocce.

Cons

Pay is at the low end of the market for the Bay, and the benefits provided are the lowest options which will cost you plenty. There's no work life balance and very little help or tools, but with high expectations. There's a lot of redundancy in management and an old boys club that will leave you confused with their messaging and disrespected regularly. There are no growth opportunities either and unless you're in Engineering, no one seems to be happy, or planning to be here for much longer. There were recent layoffs in favor of outsourcing to the Philippines and just more confusion and work was the result for the people who weren't let go.

Advice to Management

My advice to the President and VPs, carefully review the management team for skillset and impact on their teams. Pay attention to the negative reviews, there is a theme.

"Potential"

I have been working at Shipwire full-time

Pros

Good people
    Passion
    Not afraid to change the game... risk takers

Cons

Startup Culture. It's physically outgrown this, but still operates that way. Communication breakdowns- too much disconnect between departments

Advice to Management

Don't ride a motorcycle before riding a bike. Balance the need for change with the need for execution and implementation. Evaluating managing things in place before changing them because they don't work. Things often don't work because they are poorly executed.
    More transparency from management- it's too political and tight lipped.

7. "Overall great place and people!"

Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Shipwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In no particular order:
    The People
    Ping Pong/Bocce Ball
    Happy Hour Fridays
    Supportive Atmosphere
    Room for Growth

Cons

Training- Needs improvement but they are definitely being proactive in addressing this and have a Training Team in place now for New Hires.
    "Bro" Atmosphere- At times the fact this industry has been male dominated for so long comes out. That said they actively have held a symposium on how the different sexes and cultures can better understand one another.

Advice to Management

Continue the direction you are heading-
    Open communication
    Promoting within
    Further training for management on employee relations.
    Implementing a formal training program.
    Recognizing different individuals communication styles.
    Transparency

"Outsourcing"

I have been working at Shipwire full-time

Pros

Not a lot since they were taken over by Ingram Micro... they still have free lunch.

Cons

Low for the valley.
    They are outsourcing all of the "minions" to Manilla. It's already been decided in leadership. If you have an hourly job, don't expect to be working there after 2017, your job is going to Manilla.
    If you make it through the outsourcing, you could still get fired for no reason. They just fired numerous people without any warning to the company or the employees.
    So all in all, no job security, they don't fall California HR laws for anything, and the pay is low.

Advice to Management

Learn what the words transparency and collaboration mean.

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Shipwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ ping pong, bocce ball, and free lunch.
    + some good co-workers

Cons

- Little interest or real opportunities for career growth and no innovation or deep thinking going on. It's more a sales/marketing driven culture TBH
    - customer care is a mess

Advice to Management

- More training opportunities and better onboarding. Customer care is dying and gets most of the heat for the broken things you don't fix when you should have.

"Great place for engineers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Shipwire full-time

Pros

You can find lists of perks in other reviews here, on the company site, and other places. Overall a very good mix of the "little things"(and yes, to me free lunch every day is a "little thing").

In the big things, Shipwire really stands out. What I'm talking about here is feeling valued and respected, working with a great bunch of engineers where cooperation and helpfulness is the norm, being given autonomy to solve problems within reasonable business-driven constraints, working under managers that understand the technology and the business as well as or better than the top engineers, having the tools to do the best job possible, transparency, growth opportunity, benefits, work/life balance and so on Shipwire is the best company I have worked for this century.

Not once have I been asked to work a weekend, though in this business I expect it will happen eventually; I point this out since every other company I have worked at that claimed great work/life balance wanted me to give up at least a dozen weekends a year.

Only rarely have I had trouble getting input from a senior engineer to help me understand something; those rare occasions were due to customer escalations or meetings and were followed up ASAP.

Contrast the above paragraphs with companies that use toxic stack ranking systems(e.g. "Someone has to lose" -- practitioners and victims of this know, no need to name names) which only serve to encourage competition over cooperation. It's night and day. Adding to this, we are very careful about who we hire. Not only do we take great pains to hire for the right skillset, we also take at least as great if not greater pains to hire for the right cultural fit. To be clear, cultural fit is not about clothing, hair, tatoos, etc. It's about character, integrity, decency and a collection of other intangibles that add up to a group of people that are happy to work together.

There are many challenges with the product/platform, especially at the rate we are growing. Things that worked fine for a long time become risk areas as we compound growth upon growth. For any motivated engineer this is a target-rich environment in terms of interesting problems to solve, which is not meant to impugn the platform but rather to point out the degree of opportunity. I don't think it's possible to be bored here.

One other point to make under "Pros" is that almost all of Shipwire is under one roof. We do have a couple of remote workers, and we do have some staff in our various warehouses, but by and large it's almost certain that anyone you need to collaborate with will be in the same building or worst case, the same time zone. If you haven't worked for an engineering org that is spread across the globe the benefit of this may not be immediately obvious; if you have, then... 'nuff said.

Cons

First Con relates to the last Pro... Shipwire has most everyone under one roof. That includes our call center which handles customer care. Call centers in general experience high turnover, and operate differently than engineering in a number of important ways. As an insider it's fairly easy to discern the reviews that are from call center vs. engineering employees. From the outside it may not be so clear. I am only mentioning this because I think it's important to note that engineering management does not have the issues mentioned in the most negative reviews that I see as of this writing. That said, I don't doubt that there is room for improvement. I just think it's unfortunate that engineering management may be tarred unfairly with a brush that is undeserved.

Other cons:
    If you are not a self-starter, you may find the job challenging. There is a lot to learn to come up to speed, and even as helpful as everyone is it's still mostly up to the individual to put the lion's share of effort into grokking the systems. There is little in the way of training manuals/programs/etc/ that you might see at large companies.
    With free lunch every day, I find that I miss the "hey, let's go out to lunch as a group" that was common at other companies. There is less incentive to do so when lunch is brought to you and I miss the social micro-outings provided by random lunch excursions.
    I do at times miss the equity compensation that I enjoyed at other companies, but honestly I don't miss the years that went by with incentive options hovering well underwater at my most recent former company. Shipwire compensates its engineers well.

Advice to Management

Engineering Management:
    Stay the course, which means keep trying to improve, keep trying to build up the teams so we can do even more great things, and stay at least as transparent as you've been.

Other management:
    If you see yourself in some of the negative reviews here, take them to heart and try to do better. We're all in this together, and professionalism at all levels is key to our success. We are ALL the face of Shipwire and our actions can either lift everyone up or bring everyone down. Choose wisely.