37% would recommend to a friend
(575 total reviews)
37% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "It had low pay and you haft to work hard to get name out there." (in 59 reviews)
- "Management was poor if there was a problem or conflict you could never get in contact with managment.." (in 32 reviews)
- "Very difficult to hit commission" (in 29 reviews)
- "Poor upper management, always have dump rewards programs or try it this way, no this way." (in 19 reviews)
- "The change of management... it is the worst sometimes cuz some managers don't know what they are doing" (in 18 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of SmartStyle and is not affected by filters.
Found 575 of over 587 reviews
Updated Nov 28, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Aug 16, 2023HairstylistCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearHarahan, LA
Prepare you how to interact with clients on a daily basis, very hands on
Independent, fast paced , & you may receive clients by yourself
- 2.0Nov 23, 2023Barber/StylistCurrent EmployeeOklahoma City, OK
Clean, better than nothing, barely
They take credit card tips out of your total at the end so they pay less than $8 actually
- 3.0Sep 28, 2023HairstylistFormer Employee
Good coworkers Flexible hours High traffic being inside Walmart
Franchise owner and regional manager did very little to help when we were low on retain product and backbar product. Had to be very frugal with the products we used on clients and break our heads when we did not have the color that the client needed applied because there was a very low budget and sometimes we wouldn't get shipments of color for weeks, People would ask if the salon was going out of business because of how little retail product we had.
- 1.0Aug 27, 2023HairstylistCurrent Employee
I honestly don't see any pros in working for this company other than meeting other great hairstylist.
The average hairstylist out of school make at least $12 an hour or commission, which ever is more, Smart style pay $7.25 and hour. They do not provide anything for extension hair style which is an extremely popular service now, yet if the stylist provide an extension service smart styles certainly is getting the majority of the money. I don't mind paying my way but I will not do the work and supply the products and give at least 60% to the company. I honestly think the Smart Style system is broken and need to be revamped in order to keep stylist so both the company and stylist can make money. The pay system and commission system they are using is antiquated. Smart style will continue to have high turnover and high theft if their pay system is not revamped.
- 3.0Oct 10, 2023Hair StylistFormer Employee, more than 1 yearElkton, MD
Great for those coming straight out of hair school
Always short staff Sometimes the only one there for the entire day Have to juggle product sales and walk-in clients Company will side with the customer regardless if you follow their policy
- 2.0Jul 3, 2023HairdresserFormer Employee, more than 1 yearFort Myers, FL
If you have an existing clientele and can work very fast, you have a chance of making commissions, or you have to get enough chemical services with the cheapskate customers who come in, which isn't common.
Minimum wage plus tips or commission if you're lucky enough to make enough from services to do so.1
- 1.0Oct 21, 2023Salon ManagerFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsBoise, ID
Clients and my 1 co-worker
Low pay, no benefits, unreasonable expectations, care more about the salon being open then you spend time with family.
SmartStyle Reviews FAQs
SmartStyle has an overall rating of 3.0 out of 5, based on over 587 reviews left anonymously by employees. 37% of employees would recommend working at SmartStyle to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.
37% of SmartStyle employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SmartStyle 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.6 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.