KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

SmartStyle CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "It had low pay and you haft to work hard to get name out there.(in 55 reviews)
  • "I have been here for over a year and haven't hit commission yet.(in 34 reviews)
  • "Management was poor if there was a problem or conflict you could never get in contact with managment..(in 25 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management, always have dump rewards programs or try it this way, no this way.(in 21 reviews)
  • "The change of management... it is the worst sometimes cuz some managers don't know what they are doing(in 14 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of SmartStyle and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Master Stylist

Jul 27, 2022 - Mystery Secret Shopper
    Business Outlook

Pros

Customer Service, Sales, Hands on Hairstyling,

Cons

Standing on my feet all day. Became sensitive to the chemicals.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Excellent Pay and Benefits

Jul 18, 2022 - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and pay are excellent, paid vacation, personal days, and holidays. 401K, dental, vision, medical and gap insurance. Excellent base wage plus guaranteed commission on products and services.

Cons

Working with Walmart, we rent from them, but they seem to care very little for us and what we do at Smartstyle. I have noticed that this depends on the location, some Walmart Managers and team are great, others not as much. I just do my best to keep the moral and spirits high.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

SmartStyle review

Aug 8, 2022 - Hair Stylist in Lapeer, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to build my clientele from the content walk ins, they have a great team and the franchisee is so nice. The team I worked with was so supportive and uplifting. Everyone is pretty helpful and I like being able to have continued education opportunities so I can keep learning new skills.

Cons

Because we are inside Walmart sometimes people think we are Walmart employees cutting hair, but we quickly let them know we are all licensed cosmetologists and separate from Walmart, we only rent out the space for the convenience of having people walk by our salon each day eventually coming in to ask about products/services we offer.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

It was ok

Sep 21, 2022 - Cosmetologist in Charleston, WV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun customers Don’t have to worry about buying products

Cons

High stress environment but I think it depends on who you work with

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Felt threatened by other stylists

Jun 12, 2022 - Manager in Williamsburg, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the fact I had control of my own salon it felt like. And when I had customers there to buy retail or services I felt I serviced them to the best that anyone could and I had so many great clients I will miss dearly. My district leader was the best I have ever had she is amazing. And I had one stylist that I love dearly and loved the other ones but they had it from the beginning that they did not want me there and so they can go back to being open two days a week again when I had it everyday

Cons

Racism against white people which included myself Got paid same or less than regular stylists and never got an answer as to why my pay was wrong the whole time

6. 1.0

Awful

Sep 13, 2022 - Hair Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

My manger at the shop is good

Cons

Low pay, no raises, offers no benefits, expected to go above and beyond for for little to no compensation, the hours are awful to work you will have no life outside of work, hard be approved for any vacation days, never fully staffed, high turnover rate

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Busy location

Aug 4, 2022 - Hairstylist in Artesia, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

In a busy location, pay is very good.

Cons

Must be willing to work evenings and weekends when it’s busiest.

8. 5.0

We stuck together

Jun 29, 2022 - Hair Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

We relied on one another and, as a franchise, have continued to look out for each other to make money, build clientele, and keep doors open in the pandemic and afterwards.

Cons

The franchise had alot of the prior owners mess to clean up and its taken some time and a few mistakes.

9. 4.0

Needs better district management

Jul 16, 2022 - Licensed Cosmetologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Constant walk in clients, very flexible hours.

Cons

Poor management, under staffed, poor pay.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Reception

Jul 22, 2022 - Receptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job is easy and nice

Cons

Not enough hours available for reception

Viewing 1 - 10 of 513 Reviews

SmartStyle Reviews FAQs

SmartStyle has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 523 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at SmartStyle to a friend and 46% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, SmartStyle employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at SmartStyle. This rating has improved by 16% over the last 12 months.

56% of SmartStyle employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SmartStyle 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at SmartStyle to be work life balance, career development, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with SmartStyle Job Seekers