SmartZip Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Avi Gupta

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies in the Bay (in 6 reviews)

• The company is growing too fast at times that we as employees are the one having to face the growing pains (in 3 reviews)

"Awesome work enviornment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, great benefits, and all around awesome work enviornment

Cons

Low base pay to start, always given the opportunity to move up with success. Heavily relied on phone prospecting for quality leads to convert

"A phenomenal company that will provide rocket-ship type growth for your sales career"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt, the best part of SmartZip is the people and coming to work everyday and working hard with amazing and loving co-workers. SmartZip provides a platform where you are allowed to grow, make mistakes, and learn at your own pace and get to be surrounded by very talented individuals who love to see others grow around them. Even if you are not fully qualified and are hungry and ready to work hard and make money, SmartZip will give you the opportunity to do that..

The compensation at SmartZip is excellent for the salespeople. You will be given a very healthy base salary and this isn't a gig where it takes years to learn the product and a sophisticated sales process. Just this month a brand new rep hit 105% of his quota, this is a very common occurrence at SmartZip. It is a little bit like the wild wild west in our industry and if you come in and put in the work, your earning potential is extremely high.

Are you hungry? This is the place for you. Show up with a positive attitude and work hard and you will very shortly have a 5 figure paycheck hitting your account.

If you live in the East Bay, the commute to SmartZip is super easy. You do not need to cross the bridge every day or sit on BART, it's easy to find a parking spot, and we have a gorgeous campus with waterfalls, huge beautiful oak tree, a high-quality food court, basketball court, sand volleyball, etc.

SmartZip will not fire employees based on numbers if they are truly giving their all, at least I have not seen it in my tenure here. It is all about having a positive attitude and maintaing a healthy and competitive culture.

Management are focused on who you are as a person and truly care about their team members. I am confident I will be life long friends with many of my current managers and co-workers and all have made a positive influence on my life.

SmartZip employees know how to party. Happy hour champs, period.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast and it is often hard to keep up with all the new employees coming on-board.

Advice to Management

Bring food in on the first week of the month as well as the last week of the month. This will start the months off with great morale and energy to help us get off to faster starts!

"Fun, fast-growing, great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is young, driven and super-engaged. It felt like everyone was friends with one another and worked to welcome in new members as the company continued to grow.

They're big on internal promotion and those who do a good job are usually rewarded in some way or another. Employee retention, especially in the marketing and product teams, was impressive.

Cons

Sometimes, the product plan wasn't super clear. This is understandable and common at startups, but it made it difficult for client-facing positions when we couldn't clearly offer a roadmap for when products would be fixed or released.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about product plans and the engineering team's timelines.

"Deescalation..."

Current Employee - Retention Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Retention Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What can I say? Do not go in to this job as an account manager or account executive thinking you'll work your way up to management. You won't. But don't mistake that as a bad thing. This is a startup, so there are going to be bumps in the road. Let your voice be heard, because as many people as have complained for lack of job growth, there are also the same amount of people who have worked their way from an entry level account management position to something more. So don't sit on the sidelines and complain. You see a fire, run towards it and do you best to put it out.

I started here as just that, an account manager. Luckily for me I had an amazing direct manager who believed in me and had my back regardless of the amount of mistakes I've made. And trust me, I've made a lot. But she's amazing, and luckily for the company, she's still there.

So go in with an open mind and understand this job can make you money (on the sales side) or be an amazing opportunity to build experience and recognition in account management. Keep your ears open and take in as much information as possible. This job will be worth your time.

Cons

As mentioned above, there is no "fast track" to management. So get your mind right before you start. The starting pay isn't great. Again, it's a start up. So either quit and complain somewhere else or understand why you're there. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Advice to Management

Allow people to be heard more. The account managers hear, day in and day out, what works and what doesn't with the people who use our software. It used to be that the account managers had a louder voice. It seems lately that voice is softened by what VP's, directors and engineers "think" will work. I'm not saying they've all been wrong, but hear the account managers. Let them speak. Let them run meetings and be heard about what works and what doesn't. We can all learn from those who work in the trenches.

"A great place to be"

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm very happy at SmartZip. I've gone through three positions here, and everything has been fantastic—no end in sight. Every team has a sense of camaraderie that motives me every single day, and it has solidified the foundation of my career.

SmartZip opens up several doors to march forward. If you work hard, bring something to the table, and ask for opportunities to prosper, you will grow. Office politics are minimal; promotions, bonuses, and a scaling pay raise system are rewarded to those who demonstrate their value.

Now, I can't speak for every single instance at this company, but I would like to address some of the general negativity on this Glassdoor page.

I've seen complaints here. Let's be real here. The job description (like every other tech startup) and initial interview indicates a "work hard, play hard" culture. Some people only want to play.

Money? We all signed employment agreements for our wages. The dollars are on Glassdoor. The expectations have been set. If you can't take a fast-paced, thriving growth opportunity as a substitute for a larger paycheck, look elsewhere. SmartZip is a place for people with the capacity to grow.

Cons

Salary is below industry standards for many positions. There are trade offs that make me stay. More money would be great, but it's not a deal breaker to me yet.

Advice to Management

We have great leadership, but there are a couple of things that we could benefit from:

We know which sales territories perform at a historically poorer rate. Encourage low-performing sales men and women to sell elsewhere before letting them go. How can we reduce turnover to keep investment dollars inside?

Invest in engineering. We need our product launches to be really clean to wipe the competition.

7. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and environment. Opportunities to grow and develop, it's overall a good place to work if you are younger and want to work on developing some of your skills.

Cons

Not enough training and a quick turn around on people. Low pay compared to other companies in the Bay.

Advice to Management

Increase the training of new hires.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to meet people

Cons

Smartzip is by far the worse "Big Startup" to work for as an Account Manager.In this role, you're responsible for the company's failures. Once the sale goes through, you're responsible for keeping the client happy. Get ready to be yelled at on a daily. Why? Smartzip is known for launching products worth thousands of dollars without the guarantee it actually functions. If you know anyone who is in real estate, tell them "NOT TO PURCHASE SMARTZIP". It will benefit you if your plans are to work for this company.

This maybe important, the ridiculous salary of $35,000 a year. The company under pays purposely to pocket the big dogs. Could careless about compensating their Account Managers. Now most companies who can't afford to provide good salaries would at least find other options for compensation. Such as a fun, high energy, motivating, and professional atmosphere. SmartZip only cares about working AM's to the ground.

Promotions. Forget about it. They create roles so that they're not look at as a company with no opportunities. However, the roles are made up. Even the managers and directors don't understand the objective.

If you decide to work there, watch your back and don't expect anything more than what's in front of you. You will be offered a Coach. Unfortunately, the Coach doesn't get that his career is over and his coaching tactics don't work, as well as, it's bunch of crap.

Advice to Management

Grow up

SmartZip Analytics Response

Dec 8, 2016 – HR Director

We are very sorry to hear this feedback and to be honest, we are a bit surprised. In the past 2 months, we have promoted 7 Account Managers across various departments, including Engineering, Product ... More

"Changes Everday...!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A growing company that likes to perceive room for advancement, but get in line because it's based on seniority how much the director likes you!

Free bagels on Fridays and Fresh fruit on Mondays! I Appreciate anything free to employees so it's a nice gesture.

Hard workers... Lol If you call chatting all day working hard then, yeah sure!

Great culture- a working group of employees with the same mantras and metaphors!

Overall, the people are what make this company worth getting up to everyday.

Cons

Honest review. Had I read old reviews that I probably would have never worked at this organization because they pretty much hit all the problems with this company on the head!

One review mentioned young workers. The company hires young workers for two reasons. To pay them low wages and to mold them into the performing monkeys they want them to be! Hence, the same metaphors and mantras.

Lots of new faces and you wont get to know half of their names. People go in and out here and there is an extremely high turnover. Mainly because of upper management, low wages, and unrealistic expectations.

Upper management clearly doesn't resist the temptation in having people leave their office in tears. They expect miracle workers, but they call it "molding." There is clear favoritism with the director.

Performance raises yearly. I haven't seen anyone excited of their yearly raise. There will be a change from salary to hourly for only one department. I think this will add more division between departments and cut the small amount of freedom that was there! This will mean some departments will be clocking in and out while others get to come and go as they wish.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to treat employees as human beings not as cash flow numbers. Listen to each employees concerns and hear what they reallyhave to say.

Think of ways to not seperate the departments so much and have them work together. Have the rules apply to everyone equally.

"growing company churns and burns"

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time

Pros

A few years ago, the list of 'pros' would have been much longer and worthy of mentioning but an overwhelming change came to SmartZip as 2015 was coming to an end. (see cons...) Free bagels or donuts on Fridays and great benefits now are the only things I can objectively say are good. The majority of the people working here are wonderful, fun and hard-working. The problem with that is the average employment time is around 1 year.

Cons

In most departments the pay rate is significantly lower than other comparable jobs at similarly sized companies in the Silicon Valley. This lack of a competitive wage is seems to impact why the product upgrades take so long, bugs don't get fixed quickly, customer data isn't reflecting what they were sold... The good engineers go to other companies.
      Meanwhile, the sales people and customer support staff turn over so quickly due to their unacceptably low pay rates (by Bay Area standards) coupled with a heavy workload. These things take a toll on the clients as they are paying for services that are generally being worked really hard on, but that often become more of a 'hot potato' - passing the buck to others in the office while issues aren't being resolved.
     The sales people here even can have compensation from commission reversed pretty much at any point in time after they've closed / been paid on a deal if the client ignores their contract and stops paying. This happens a lot.

All work travel (hotels, airfare, etc) comes at the expense of the employee who has to await reimbursement. Travel is an expected part of the job and there is an overarching sentiment among the upper management that an employee is not trying very hard if they can't travel.

Very little room for advancement.

Work/life balance is generally used as a selling point to potential new employees but watch out. Especially if you are on the sales team, taking personal time (no matter the reason for taking it) will always be treated as a good thing - until you return from said personal time.

Overall, there seemed to be a trend toward maintaining favorable optics of the office, product, and the jobs themselves. Bottom line: in just about every way, this company looks better from the outside than it really is on the inside.

"All-around great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager/Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn, grow, and build a reputation for yourself as a professional. The company has a unique product with a great vision for future growth. The team is very supportive from top to bottom. Everyone is more than willing to offer advice from their experiences and guide you towards success.

Cons

There is not a completely clear path for growth within the company, but this does not mean there is not an opportunity. If you want to progress within the company, you have to put in your work and make it known that you want to. This can result in longer work hours at times, but it pays off.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team to find ways to improve. There is a strong staff at this company across the board with great ideas for growth in every department.