SmartZip Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Avi Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You have an awesome work/life balance here (in 4 reviews)

• Room for advancement within certain departments (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies in the Bay (in 7 reviews)

• The company is growing too fast at times that we as employees are the one having to face the growing pains (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great friendly environment"

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. There is job autonomy with good structure as well. Employees are helpful with with great accommodations inside the work building and cafeteria.

Cons

There are very few cons that I can talk about. As a fairly new company we are still going through transitions which causes more work and confusion.

"Work is easy, but it isn't worth your time"

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time

Pros

If you work on the right team, then you can build a schedule that accommodates your lifestyle otherwise you're stuck in the office where moral and leadership are lacking.

Cons

Laughably low pay, room for growth is the overstatement of the year and a vast majority of people that have been there a while or not long at all has either left or been let go. This is not surprising when the product has glaring flaws and it won't matter because the board is only focused on releasing new products for more money. And managers are out of the loop on workflows and lack control & oversight into product launches so the rest of us have to continue to find excuses so clients stay on, and in the end clients don't.

Advice to Management

Speak up for your employees more or resign. You won't have a company if people feel like it's a waste of time to work there.

"Data is great Platform and Senior Management is a Joke"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, atmosphere, and location.

Cons

It's one of those companies that you interview for and think to yourself how hard can it be to sell this product until you get in there and realize the CEO has no clue what he is doing and although it looks like he is listening to its' going right out the other ear. The data is incredible and offers an advantage but the platform is beyond FUBAR and the engineering department hasn't hit a deadline on target once. There's an ongoing joke that adds 6months to any deadline engineering gives and to be honest that's the minimum.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and engineering team. Listen to the people that work with your customers before you have to lay off, even more, people employees.

"Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the team love the culture!

Cons

Slow growth. Big dreams with little action.

"Sr. Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Data, math, science meets relationships. They have the product, the people and the passion!!! AWESOME company!!! You will learn A LOT!

Cons

Yes, they don't have the most competitive compensations....however...I grossed over 27K in commission in 1-month!!! Yes, that's not a typical month, but if you are a true sales person and are not someone who just relies on base salary, you will make well over 100k. When I was there, they needed help keeping up with the rapid growth of clients in their client success/support department, but I've heard they have made a lot of improvements in this regard. Definitely worth checking out!

Advice to Management

I'm pretty removed and heard management has made a lot of changes in regards to listening to their employees and continuously giving promotions from within... maybe layout how more clear paths for moving into management/KPI's needed etc?

"Awesome work enviornment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, great benefits, and all around awesome work enviornment

Cons

Low base pay to start, always given the opportunity to move up with success. Heavily relied on phone prospecting for quality leads to convert

"A phenomenal company that will provide rocket-ship type growth for your sales career"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt, the best part of SmartZip is the people and coming to work everyday and working hard with amazing and loving co-workers. SmartZip provides a platform where you are allowed to grow, make mistakes, and learn at your own pace and get to be surrounded by very talented individuals who love to see others grow around them. Even if you are not fully qualified and are hungry and ready to work hard and make money, SmartZip will give you the opportunity to do that..

The compensation at SmartZip is excellent for the salespeople. You will be given a very healthy base salary and this isn't a gig where it takes years to learn the product and a sophisticated sales process. Just this month a brand new rep hit 105% of his quota, this is a very common occurrence at SmartZip. It is a little bit like the wild wild west in our industry and if you come in and put in the work, your earning potential is extremely high.

Are you hungry? This is the place for you. Show up with a positive attitude and work hard and you will very shortly have a 5 figure paycheck hitting your account.

If you live in the East Bay, the commute to SmartZip is super easy. You do not need to cross the bridge every day or sit on BART, it's easy to find a parking spot, and we have a gorgeous campus with waterfalls, huge beautiful oak tree, a high-quality food court, basketball court, sand volleyball, etc.

SmartZip will not fire employees based on numbers if they are truly giving their all, at least I have not seen it in my tenure here. It is all about having a positive attitude and maintaing a healthy and competitive culture.

Management are focused on who you are as a person and truly care about their team members. I am confident I will be life long friends with many of my current managers and co-workers and all have made a positive influence on my life.

SmartZip employees know how to party. Happy hour champs, period.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast and it is often hard to keep up with all the new employees coming on-board.

Advice to Management

Bring food in on the first week of the month as well as the last week of the month. This will start the months off with great morale and energy to help us get off to faster starts!

"Fun, fast-growing, great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is young, driven and super-engaged. It felt like everyone was friends with one another and worked to welcome in new members as the company continued to grow.

They're big on internal promotion and those who do a good job are usually rewarded in some way or another. Employee retention, especially in the marketing and product teams, was impressive.

Cons

Sometimes, the product plan wasn't super clear. This is understandable and common at startups, but it made it difficult for client-facing positions when we couldn't clearly offer a roadmap for when products would be fixed or released.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about product plans and the engineering team's timelines.

9. "Great Company to Work For"

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time

Pros

will get you great experience and help you grow in an office environment that is a fast growing and big start up too.

Cons

sometimes the hours can be long but thats expected

"Wouldn't recommend..."

I worked at SmartZip Analytics full-time

Pros

The people who work here are fantastic, for the most part.

You do get perks, like health insurance for yourself is paid for completely by the company, bagels or donuts every Friday, unlimited coffee, soda, snacks (only cereal & goldfish), fresh fruit delivered every Monday.

Expenses are paid quickly, no waiting months and months for expense checks, provided that you do the work and submit your reports on time.

You have an awesome work/life balance here.

Cons

Executives - hilariously out of touch. Create lofty goals that aren't just lofty, but completely unattainable.

Engineering - product is super buggy. That's all people ever talk about. When will we fix a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, and so on and so forth until you finally think that one thing is fixed, before realizing they didn't fix it at all, and instead created a complex work-around solution to the problem that doesn't solve anything, really.

Sales - be prepared for a revolving door of sales people. A common phrase heard around here: "new sales guy.... should I bother to learn his name?" Also, rampant sexism in the sales team.

Client services - these people by far work the hardest, get paid the least, and have to deal with the most criticism and anger from both management, executives, AND clients. Give everyone in client services a blanket and a cookie, they need a break.

Pay - which brings me down to this. Pay.

Everyone here is underpaid, and it shows. Engineering doesn't work as hard as they typically do in other workplaces, as they're significantly underpaid (and they know it!). And then because engineers don't work as hard, the product suffers. And then when the product suffers, Sales and Client Services suffers because they're directly dealing with clients who have paid a significant amount of money for this product that is buggy/broken. And then after a while, client services and sales both get disillusioned with the company, between the buggy product, and the low pay, and that explains your high turnover rate.

Also, don't expect to get promoted here. It won't happen.

Advice to Management

You know employee morale is low. Do something about it!

SmartZip Analytics Response

Mar 7, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate hearing both sides of your experience. We're glad that you enjoyed the amazing people on our team and some of the many benefits... More