Softcat Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Martin Hellawell

Pros
  • Fantastic Rewards, Fun & Positive Working Environment (in 13 reviews)

• Very hard work when you first join to get accounts to where you need to be vs target but it pays off (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • In the first couple of years it is particularly hard work as you need to develop your accounts (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours - to be expected in sales however I worked 55 a week and was told it wasn't enough (in 6 reviews)

1. "Former Technical Consultant."

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

Pros

As I was not office based could not think of any, I am sure if you are in your early 20's fresh out of uni then this is the place for you.

Cons

Worst place I worked for as a Technical Consultant. If I was in sales then this would probably be a 5 star review, but from my point of view I felt like an over used machine.

Advice to Management

Do not put new senior tech consultants under the same umbrella as juniors. Be honest about the average working hours. Listen to the concerns of employees.

2. "Softcat plc - Employee review"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat (More than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely everything! The people, the culture, the fun, the determination and focus on making sure the company is about more than just profit, the willingness to give back to as many local businesses and charities as possible. The opportunity to move between roles, the relentless communication from management that Softcat is about people, humanity, looking after each other like a family and treating your neighbour as you would want to be treated, This is probably the aspect I love the most.

Cons

The first year or two of the job was difficult, however for anyone with a good work ethic this shouldn't be an issue. If you're not willing to be challenged and work hard during your job then I don't think any career would be suitable for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't let the float change us too much. There is no doubt pressure from investors to streamline and produce ever increasing profits - there's more to life and a career than that!

Softcat Response

Mar 21, 2017 – Head of HR and Recruitment

Thank you for your review, your feedback is very much appreciated.

3. "What is not to love!"

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company that cares and listens
    Im in charge of my own career development
    Rewards and recognition for my hard work
    Great working environment and colleagues that will be friends for life.

Cons

Sometimes there is a sense of entitlement amongst newer people, Because the company gives so much, people want more and more. Maybe talk more about the challenges of a new business, explain how Softcat got so great by talking through the hard times.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing!

5. "The Great, The Bad and The Even Worse"

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It hasn't won The Best Company to Work For for nothing. From the outside, Softcat has everything a young employee looks for; a great career, fun working environment, financial perks, etc. There is a party on every month whether it be the annual Chairmans Day event, the charity May Ball or a vendor call out day.

Cons

The sexist and bad behaviour at Softcat is known throughout the company, and it all comes the top. The sales staff get uncapped commission with incentives every other day. However, if you're in an admin based role don't think you'll be treated the same. With low salaries and no sight of bonuses on the horizon, it's not a very fun side of the company to be on. With such a vast admin team it's also extremely hard to get recognition for good work. If you get a promotion, well done, but it's probably because of your time of service there not because you do a good job.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to focus on looking like a fantastic company on the outside and sort out the many issues you have internally

Softcat Response

Mar 7, 2017 – Head of HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your experience at Softcat. Softcat is a Sales led organisation and as such the commission element certainly offers a much higher financial ... More

6. "Very average"

I have been working at Softcat full-time

Pros

The HR people were lovely, they made everyone feel very welcome. The offices inside are very nice and the people that they attract were generally very nice.

Cons

The actual staff were very rude to everyone, at one point interviewing one of them took their phone out and didn't pay attention to what people were saying. It wasn't a very pleasant interview experience to be honest.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your employees are kinder to those that want to work their. The HR lovely, continue on with them but perhaps encourage your sales team to be more friendly.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been working here for just over a year now, good atmosphere, challenging tasks so you won't get bored.

Cons

Getting fat through pizza, lots and lots and lots of cold calling, you need to be able to deal with rejection or I wouldn't apply

Advice to Management

Hire management from outside, or promote people for their management skills, not just the best seller . good job though

"Not great"

I worked at Softcat full-time

Pros

The commission structure incentivises rookies to do well. Corporate events are usually run really well. Communication within the organisation is pretty transparent.

Cons

Rookies are dealt terrible accounts when they start. The emphasis on cold calling is tedious. There's no consistency with the recruitment process.

Advice to Management

More focus on retention. Offer more training. Show a bit of care towards your employees. Visit the regional offices more often.

"Best place to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because Softcat's recruitment team work really hard to bring in the best talent, everyone is great to work with and we can all take time to have fun!

Cons

It can be a fairly intense environment, but that's the nature of an ambitious and motivated business like Softcat. There are opportunities in less target-driven roles as well.

"amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat (More than 8 years)

Pros

leadership, values, performance, benefits for employees, working environment, communication, teamwork, and the people.

Cons

hard to think of any..

11. "Just my opinion"

Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership team
    Financials
    Outcome driven
    Opportunity appears to be down to personal drive and ambition
    Great commission structure for sales staff
    Approachable leadership team
    On boarding process

Cons

Basic Salaries
    No flexible working - all office based

Advice to Management

Higher earnings for non-sales employees please