Softscape Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Softscape Chief Executive Officer of SumTotal Systems John Borgerding
John Borgerding
1 Rating

1. "Fast Pace and requires to be a quick learner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MA

Pros

Ability to do a lot of things

Cons

need to be a self starter and be able to figure things out on your own

Advice to Management

set up training structure

2. "Good Job for the Economy"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

- Good salary for my grade
    - Boss was good to work with, provided Good environment
    - Allowed to work on many different kinds of projects

Cons

- Privately owned, which came with some inside baseball
    - Not good at sharing information that might have been useful
    - Facilities were not that nice, made it kind of hard to work sometimes

Advice to Management

Trust your staff more and reach out more to discuss and collaborate on major decisions. The better bought in the employees, the greater the chances of success.

3. "Awful Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MA

Pros

This company totally treats their employees horribly. The building itself is not managed well, the owners only care about the money that ends up in their pockets. They have recently just been bought over and I hope things turn out right for the people left there. In all fairness all the employees were great and knowledge able but upper management did not manage the company well at all

Cons

building needs extreme care. Even office supplies were limited to old and used. Building probably has mold in it. Management only cared about money. They keep on fur-lowing people instead of lay off

Advice to Management

Invest in the company and not the owners pockets. Looking out for the people your employees should be what a corporate company does. Especially one that is looking into HR talent.

"Softscape is missing the mark"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MA

Pros

Good Product. Great People who are dedicated to the product success

Cons

1. ruthless management style. They find any reason to terminate someone. Abuse the employees with "unspoken" expectations of working extremely long days. No pay raises.
    2, Poor money management.- they have cut pay "temporarily" but never paid any of those employees back. They furloughed 20-25% of the company. Can't afford to pay them. Told that they may be called back but they were told that "It hasn't happened so to look for a job"
    3. Ingore product quality. QA team is understaffed and overworked. They have furloughed all the QA Engineers. No one to test the product.
    4. Signifigantly understaffed. A consultant was hired to come in and look for ways to improve production. They were told to hire more staff. They fired the consultant.
    5. Employee morale continues to worsen. We all worry that we will not have a job. Having a junk food party does not improve morale.

Advice to Management

Start seeing the Talent that you have! Stop abusing everyone. We all work hard and our efforts are treated with disregard.

5. "The positive team environment at Softscape helps to promote the company as a market leader in the Human Talent industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MA

Pros

Everyone is encouraged to be a thought leader and the positive team environment fuels the company's growth. There is a lot of creative energy at Softscape and it is a great place to work.

Cons

The benefit plan could be improved.

Advice to Management

Management communicates to the employees on a consistent basis.

6. "Great Opportunity, Great Global Company"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wayland, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wayland, MA

Pros

Great opportunity to support global initiatives and work with smart people.

Cons

There are no cons. I enjoy being part of the Softscape team.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"PR Campaign to cleanse poor image is lame. A family run business that spends more on lawyers/legal issues than sales."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MA

Pros

The new sales VP is awesome and credible.

Cons

Commission payments are a battle with finance. The company has worse than typical contributions for benefits. The culture is "we pay you ok, so we will treat you the way we want." Employee turnover is the highest I have ever experienced. Ask what happened to the person in your role prior to you. And how long they lasted in the role. HR and marketing forces people to make positive posts on sites like this and linked-in.

Advice to Management

Stop running this place like a second tier family business. Hire a real CEO who has real experience in the role. Dilute all of the family influences -- the family is over its head. And move to a real office park or spend some money on the ancient building we're in -- paint some walls, clean some windows, replace the broken window blinds, repave the crappy parking lot -- make the place a place we want to show up to work everyday, not some North Korean bunker.

8. "Softscape is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Wayland, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Wayland, MA

Pros

Excellent Sales Management. Co-works are great and very helpful. Customer focused organization.

Cons

Although our benefits are great, having two personal days would be of value to me.

Advice to Management

Sales Management is excellent. Work environment is great. Co-works have an excellent work ethic and are very helpful. I feel that I can have a successful career at Softscape.

9. "It's a Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

All employee voices are heard. Softscape has a culture of trust. There is a feeling here of being part of a team. And that your individual contribution makes a difference.

Cons

If you do not like a fast pace and exciting company to work at then you should not consider working here.

Advice to Management

My advice would be this is a special place, you can trust the executive management to make good decisions. So don't change it!!

10. "My Personal Experience at Softscape"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Wayland, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Wayland, MA

Pros

I was recruited by Softscape CEO Dave Watkins in the summer of 2006. Clearly he had done his homework, because he was familiar with my background and experiences.

I have worked for a number of CEOs in my day, and when a company gets to be Softscape's size, C-level executives tend to disengage, saying, "Recruiting is someone else's job now". In Dave's case, he built the company from scratch, and he still takes a personal interest in who is working there. It impressed me that he was so involved in the details.

Upon being hired, I was placed on a small team and began work on implementation projects almost immediately. In those days, I worked alongside an experienced system engineer, and his help was invaluable whenever I got stuck. I learned a lot about the Softscape product, and it impressed me very much. The system could seemingly do most anything, so long as one was familiar with the configuration tools. It impresses me more with each subsequent release.

I also formed great relationships with my customers. I was lucky enough to have several of them write letters of commendation to my boss, and this helped raise my visibility at the company.

After about a year and a half of implementation work, I was promoted to a new position, called "product specialist", in which I assisted clients with post-implementation support as well as demos and training. My new team has evolved over the past year, and I now work with two junior-level reps who are still learning the system and getting to know the customer base. This is very rewarding to me--I enjoy making the people around me better and sharing everything I've learned over the past several years.

There are many talented people at Softscape who know the system inside and out, and, more importantly, who are willing to help whenever they can. For anyone who has worked with techie people, you know that they can be surly or unapproachable at times, but this is not the case at Softscape. Even during busy times, there is a real team atmosphere at this company. I am always able to find someone willing to take time out of what s/he is doing to assist me with an urgent issue.

I saw Dave Watkins at the Christmas party this past year, and he came up to introduce himself to my wife and kids. He told my wife that I have been doing a great job for Softscape and that he was glad to have me on board. He even joked that he wished there were a way he could "clone" me... That might seem insignificant, but no CEO is required to do such things, and it means something to me when he does.

Cons

Most clients are on a calendar-year cycle. This means 4th quarter and 1st quarter of each year is very busy.

Also, as in any service bureau environment, some customers can be challenging to work with.

Advice to Management

continue to recruit and promote from within