SoulCycle Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SoulCycle CEO Melanie Whelan
Melanie Whelan

Pros
  • The free classes are great along with the people (in 55 reviews)

• Being able to ride for free was a huge bonus while working part time (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Top level leadership, work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay for Front Desk receptionists, despite being responsible for front of house and cleaning operations (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great environment; Great people!"

Former Employee - Front Desk Staff- Key Holder in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Staff- Key Holder in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet both riders and staff, connections made, great hours for part timers, perks like riding for free, great training program for hospitality , great opportunities to grow for those who are looking and hard working.

Cons

Sometimes a stressful environment, some inconsistency between studio locations with the way they run things/ the friendliness of each staff, Corporate v. studio relations ..

2. "I wake up happy everyday working for Soul."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This isn't my first rodeo with having a full-time job. The company culture at Soul is almost unheard of at other companies. I wake up happy everyday knowing I am going to work at Soul. Wearing athleisure clothes, taking a class during the day, working with people that I genuinely care about, are all reasons as to why I am happy. We are all viewed as leaders and are empowered to make decisions that will help the business. We all work hard. We help our teammates. Growth and development opportunities (trainings, workshops, promotions, etc.).

Cons

Compensation (comes with the industry).

Advice to Management

Utilize our feedback from the field and apply it to implementing change, etc. all in hopes to benefit the business.

3. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun work environment, great perks.

Cons

Hours are long, days start very early and end very late.

"Put in the Work -- See Major Results"

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SoulCycle has unbelievably personable, positive and hardworking people. I love working here because I'm constantly learning -- its kind of like being in a SoulCycle class -- challenging, but rewarding.

Cons

Salaries also need to be commensurate with the work staff are putting in.

Advice to Management

Make sure to recognize employees for the hard/exceptional work they are putting in. A job well done here is usually above and beyond!

"Place is quickly falling apart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SoulCycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Free classes
    *Brand notoriety
    *Retail discount

Cons

*Headquarters is like high school. Career growth isn't based on your performance, but rather, how much Mel (and other leaders) like you personally.

7. "Great place for part time work!"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free classes are great along with the people.

Cons

None that I can think of for a part time job.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

8. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing work environment, flexible hours (though sometimes you have to be at work at 5:30am)

Cons

Not enough promoting from within. The company has changed quite a bit since the original CEO's stepped down.

Advice to Management

Hire people with previous experience.

"Great perks, relaxed atmosphere, paid training, paid CPR certification."

Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Soulcycle has a great empowering mission. As a front desk coordinator, your managers are on your side and empower you to make decisions for yourself and be creative. You get to take classes for free and get some perks with a few local businesses nearby. The job really isn't that hard and you can meet really great people and make positive connections. I love everything the company stands for and believe I embody the core values, but it seems like many of the long standing employees don't and don't care if you do.

Cons

The staff is very cliquey. I would definitely go far enough to say that the management behaves as mean girls and don't make it a point to make you feel comfortable as a new-comer. This is counter productive to the core values I was taught Soulcycle upholds. The staff that has been there for years is not friendly to new customers or new staff and don't put effort into training their new staff. They act annoyed when you ask for help with learning anything or say that don't know how to help you or just do the work for you, which isn't a great way to show you how to learn. The female managers at my location drink on the job regularly, and discuss drugs and this alludes to their negative attitudes and impatience. They fire new employees regularly which I believe reflects poorly on their leadership (especially knowing how inefficient the training is) and not on the hire's ability to perform their work effectively. They seem to fire people who don't fit in with their clique.

Advice to Management

To upper management, implement better training initiatives. Management can be better leaders and work on being more helpful and make sure their staff is being friendly to not only customers but to new staff. Maybe implement a way to better manage retention? Seems like they fire people left and right for no reason. Managers are snarky and disempowering. Maybe teach them how to be effective while being nice and teach them about positive reinforcement.. or how to be friendlier.

"Middle School Mean Girls and Sweat Shop Disguised as a Charity"

Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in Chestnut Hill, MA

I worked at SoulCycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free workouts
    Funny instructors
    Cool staff!
    Discount on retail

Cons

Overworked without breaks
    Poor upper level management
    No development
    Lacks needed infrastructure and systems to implement protocol
    Often short-staffed
    Often lacking support
    Low pay
    Inconsistent scheduling
    Company culture and values not implemented in how they treat their STAFF! (Instructors maybe, but not the front desk and management)
    Growth of employees is social/political/based on popularity
    Upper management have little to NO management or business experience
    Employees are too young/inexperienced
    Trainings are haphazard and taught by inept people who have never trained before
    Managers are encouraged to take a class rather than eat lunch and work all day without meal breaks (this is an anorexic's dream job)

Advice to Management

Invest in staff
    Create a healthy culture; not a valueless one

"Applying for a front desk or front of the house."

Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have applied for this job so many times but never get a call. I have been in retail over 20 years and customer service more then any 20 something they hire.

Cons

There application is so difficult and I have over 20 years in retail and customer service but it only seems like they want the young :(((((((()))) they really pass up very good workers who are not into drama and do t say like every other word. It's pretty sad that they only hire under 35. Since half of the soul cycle people who pay to ride I'm sure are over 40. Let's face it. Not cheep to ride.
    What happen to all types of people to be the face of a company. People over the age of 45 looking to work are hard working and want to stick around we are not looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Try hiring adults to be the face of soul cycle. Lady's and men that want a job and will stick around. Someone applying in there 40 or 50 means experience and customer service. It means they probably have been in retail before. Plus for your customer coming in and seeing someone there age working there helps them to relate.