Spark Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael S. Egan

"What a difference a few months makes"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A new management team has taken the reins and they seem very focused on excellence in our product and treating employees well
    - All of the advantages of a stable, established company, with the feeling of a start-up since the new management team arrived
    - Ability to make a real impact
    - Great people to work with
    - A new-found buzz I haven’t seen here in a while; we’re definitely moving in the right direction

I am not sure where the negative reviews are coming from. I have seen nothing from positive progress since the new management team has come on board. These people are true leaders that care about having a great company with great people. Now would be a great time to join Spark — it has the advantages of a start-up with the stability of an established company.

Cons

- There is some change and there are some growing pains, but the new people here are great
    - It can take a bit of effort to steer the ship in the right direction, but it appears to be happening quickly

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Be transparent with employees — let us know the good and the bad. And don’t be afraid to excise people who aren’t performing well. I much prefer the newer get-it-done culture.

"Used to be a good place with a future"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spark Networks (More than a year)

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Once management started turning over, the culture vanished.

Advice to Management

The business is dead. Sell to Match.com

"Great Team and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New management isn't afraid to communicate bad news and is very transparent. They are also very future focused and data driven. They acknowledge a lot of work is ahead of us but have been taking steps to make sure people are happy with regular social gatherings with open bar, Bagels on Fridays, stocked snacks and drinks, Equinox subsidized membership, review salaries to make sure they are fair.

The team (non-management) are some of the hardest working and most dedicated people I've ever worked with. Everyone is willing to go the extra mile and yes, there were layoffs, but they were needed in order to change and survive.

Cons

The office could use updating. The carpets look filthy and the kitchen feels like I'm in a trailer park... its clean but the environment could be better.

The chairs and desks are very uncomfortable. I don't mind working 10+ hours to help us succeed but at least give me something that doesn't make my back hurt! I can't count how many days I left work because my butt and back hurt :(

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and fair. Please update the office chairs and desks. My back hurts and recently my wrists (from typing). A bigger hard drive wouldn't hurt... running VMs and keep running out of space

"Candidates, Investors & Consumers Beware"

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time

Pros

Stock (LOV) trading below $1 - Potential acquisition premium if AMEX does not delist Spark first.

Great weather in Los Angeles

Cons

This is a company with no direction. The Board of Directors is notoriously thrifty and very heavy-handed in the minutia of daily operations. There are a handful of board members that have much of their personal wealth invested in Spark and behave in an emotional way, as evidenced by three leadership teams in three years.

The latest management team is a group of private equity investors (called Peak6) that have a history of taking over distressed companies, cutting costs and selling to an eventual buyer. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you understand the environment prior to taking a job. This is a group of individuals that are undoubtedly intelligent but have no interest or industry knowledge in the online dating business. The only goal is to "pause" all business, while they cut costs and position the brands for acquisition. As a point of reference, management held an all-hands meeting in late 2016, where the CEO assured all employees that there are no lay-offs planned. The following week, any employee in a management position (except for the Product lead) was laid off in a sloppy manner and given a smaller severance than any I've ever heard. Management has basically decided to ignore the concept of growing the business, in favor of cutting costs through breaching/breaking contracts, eliminating benefits and even relocating everyone to one side of the office in order to save electricity in the empty half. In what might be the most pathetic attempt to cut costs, this private equity group flew one of its employees across the country to walk throughout the office and remove all plants, because they were "spending too much to water them."

With the exception of a few, every employee I know (including myself) is looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Organizational Behavior 101 - Smart and productive employees don't stay when they aren't learning, challenged or treated with respect.

"Great people - future focused."

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great teams. You have impact on the product. Lots of change - but change is needed to grow and improve the business.

Cons

Could use better project management.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Know the details, before you start working here"

Pros

- Product really does attempt to benefit the niche religious communities and isn't acting like a date hookup site.
    - Before 2014, average years of employment was 6+ years.

Cons

- Too much turnover, now with 3rd executive staff in 2 years
    - Product & Tech are over burdened and thus perform slow

Advice to Management

Obtain more of the employees insight into the product

"Slow Decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before going through several rounds of layoffs, this was a great company with amazing people. It felt like a family. The former CEO (Greg Liberman) was integral, kind, and attempted to create a positive atmosphere. At one time, the company even subsidized a gym membership at Equinox.

Cons

Several rounds of layoffs have made this a place that people are desperate to leave. There's no real leadership, just a board of directors who are anxious to increase the bottom line at any cost.

Advice to Management

A business is successful thanks to its employees. If you don't treat them right, you won't be successful.

"Progress is impossible without change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I love my job at Spark. Every day I have the opportunity to come to work and collaborate on interesting projects with bright colleagues whom I greatly respect.

Cons

Although there have been recent changes, I see a bright future for Spark. Progress is impossible without change. We're leaner, meaner and ready to service our users and our communities with love.

Advice to Management

Hang in there. With the right attitude and the right people in place there's no doubt that we'll succeed.

"Spark will not exist in a year"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good job until new CTO showed up

Cons

Most people in LA office were laid off.
    I worked there 2 years. Everyone around me was let go. Out of 30 people I worked with , 2 left now. They lose subscribers every month and really no engineers left to even maintain the site. Please don't ever work for this has been company.

Advice to Management

Find another company to destroy
    After CTO is fired, figure out where he goes next and short that stock.

"It was great at first..."

Former Employee - IT Department in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Westwood, CA

I worked at Spark Networks (More than a year)

Pros

The IT department was great..... Also the software dev team and our Utah counterparts... We always did what we could with the limited tools and technology that we had.... But thats just it... LIMITED.. I mean cmon.. If you call yourself a technology company but cant afford to buy some new firewalls, switches or servers then theres a big problem... While spending all that time cutting corners and finding out how to save cost.. The manpower and wages that it took to figure that out could have paid for a new infrastructure... Geta clue "C" levels. At least the old upper management team you could go with and explain why the stuff was needed.

Cons

Total disconnect with the worker bees and even supervisors up to the CEO. CEO said he cared when he came in but after spending a few months with the new regime it was so obvious that we were catering to a bunch of dufus investors who only care about getting their original investment back and not to grow or even make the company great. And in reaponse to ppl stating that certain parties like HR are unreachable...cmon... Try juggling 100+ employees across 3 different sites in 3 different regions with just 1 hr person when in the beginning we actually had a real HR department and the CEO would actually sit down and have group lunch discussions with employees who were interested in whats going on at the company. Nope... New CEO has his team of minions who are at the most.... Semi intelligent

Advice to Management

Get a clue!!!!! Youve laid off twice.. Youve brought in people who cost way less.. then laid them off too... Youve done so much research in cost cutting and you still think youre doing a good job? Listen to your employees and dont just pretend. Maybe you can put your egos aside and actually learn something for once in your career.