Spark Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Michael S. Egan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Spark Networks has been a great place to work."

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time

Pros

Good compensation, good benefits, annual Christmas and summer parties, flexible work schedule, competitive PTO.

Cons

The only con would be the changes the company has had to make to remain competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Spark Networks (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, casual office environment
    Nice office

Cons

Inflated egos
    Random titles/no one knows who is in charge of whom or what
    Upper management are not great leaders, don't understand their customers
    Boys club

Advice to Management

Value and respect new employees, more opportunities for loyal workers, give people more incentives, LISTEN!

"Sad to see it go"

I worked at Spark Networks full-time

Pros

For most of the time I was at Spark I really enjoyed my time there. I worked with great people and had good management. The work was interesting and the environment was fun.

Cons

Towards the end of my time at Spark new management was brought in and the work environment and morale began to deteriorate. The board really wasn't particularly wise in their decisions to replace top management and ultimately they suffered for it as did so many of the good people the new management chose to layoff. The new management ended up being let go themselves (CEO and CTO) so I guess there is a little karma.

"Sinking ship, get out while you can"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

still, have a paycheck until they go broke

Cons

I watched most of the people around me get laid off and the stock goes from 5$ to 91 cents.

Advice to Management

What management, they fired them all.

"What a difference a few months makes"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A new management team has taken the reins and they seem very focused on excellence in our product and treating employees well
    - All of the advantages of a stable, established company, with the feeling of a start-up since the new management team arrived
    - Ability to make a real impact
    - Great people to work with
    - A new-found buzz I haven’t seen here in a while; we’re definitely moving in the right direction

I am not sure where the negative reviews are coming from. I have seen nothing from positive progress since the new management team has come on board. These people are true leaders that care about having a great company with great people. Now would be a great time to join Spark — it has the advantages of a start-up with the stability of an established company.

Cons

- There is some change and there are some growing pains, but the new people here are great
    - It can take a bit of effort to steer the ship in the right direction, but it appears to be happening quickly

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Be transparent with employees — let us know the good and the bad. And don’t be afraid to excise people who aren’t performing well. I much prefer the newer get-it-done culture.

"Used to be a good place with a future"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spark Networks (More than a year)

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Once management started turning over, the culture vanished.

Advice to Management

The business is dead. Sell to Match.com

"Great Team and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New management isn't afraid to communicate bad news and is very transparent. They are also very future focused and data driven. They acknowledge a lot of work is ahead of us but have been taking steps to make sure people are happy with regular social gatherings with open bar, Bagels on Fridays, stocked snacks and drinks, Equinox subsidized membership, review salaries to make sure they are fair.

The team (non-management) are some of the hardest working and most dedicated people I've ever worked with. Everyone is willing to go the extra mile and yes, there were layoffs, but they were needed in order to change and survive.

Cons

The office could use updating. The carpets look filthy and the kitchen feels like I'm in a trailer park... its clean but the environment could be better.

The chairs and desks are very uncomfortable. I don't mind working 10+ hours to help us succeed but at least give me something that doesn't make my back hurt! I can't count how many days I left work because my butt and back hurt :(

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and fair. Please update the office chairs and desks. My back hurts and recently my wrists (from typing). A bigger hard drive wouldn't hurt... running VMs and keep running out of space

"Candidates, Investors & Consumers Beware"

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time

Pros

Stock (LOV) trading below $1 - Potential acquisition premium if AMEX does not delist Spark first.

Great weather in Los Angeles

Cons

This is a company with no direction. The Board of Directors is notoriously thrifty and very heavy-handed in the minutia of daily operations. There are a handful of board members that have much of their personal wealth invested in Spark and behave in an emotional way, as evidenced by three leadership teams in three years.

The latest management team is a group of private equity investors (called Peak6) that have a history of taking over distressed companies, cutting costs and selling to an eventual buyer. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you understand the environment prior to taking a job. This is a group of individuals that are undoubtedly intelligent but have no interest or industry knowledge in the online dating business. The only goal is to "pause" all business, while they cut costs and position the brands for acquisition. As a point of reference, management held an all-hands meeting in late 2016, where the CEO assured all employees that there are no lay-offs planned. The following week, any employee in a management position (except for the Product lead) was laid off in a sloppy manner and given a smaller severance than any I've ever heard. Management has basically decided to ignore the concept of growing the business, in favor of cutting costs through breaching/breaking contracts, eliminating benefits and even relocating everyone to one side of the office in order to save electricity in the empty half. In what might be the most pathetic attempt to cut costs, this private equity group flew one of its employees across the country to walk throughout the office and remove all plants, because they were "spending too much to water them."

With the exception of a few, every employee I know (including myself) is looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Organizational Behavior 101 - Smart and productive employees don't stay when they aren't learning, challenged or treated with respect.

"Great people - future focused."

I have been working at Spark Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great teams. You have impact on the product. Lots of change - but change is needed to grow and improve the business.

Cons

Could use better project management.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Know the details, before you start working here"

Pros

- Product really does attempt to benefit the niche religious communities and isn't acting like a date hookup site.
    - Before 2014, average years of employment was 6+ years.

Cons

- Too much turnover, now with 3rd executive staff in 2 years
    - Product & Tech are over burdened and thus perform slow

Advice to Management

Obtain more of the employees insight into the product