Stout Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7
John W. Stout

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent To Work With!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with Stout on and off for many years, and it's always been a positive experience. They most recently found me my current job, and it was a simple process of first talking to a couple people at Stout and then going to an interview at the actual company. Maybe it's my past experience wit them, but no silly competency tests or other annoyances that I've had other places.

Cons

None that I can think of now. They're pretty IT/Windows Programer heavy, and lacking in some other areas (realtime/embedded, automotive engineering, etc.) but I suppose it's good to specialize.

2. "Best placement service for IT folks in Michigan"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Stout Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

These guys are phenomenal judges of talent. I have been placed at 2 full time jobs within days of submission. Less known is that Stout Systems also has a custom development team that deploys complex systems with some of the most reasonable rates in the industry. I worked directly with them on a poorly scoped project, but frankly, the client was exceedingly dysfunctional. They made the best of it, but when the client steering committee had 15 members (client employees), and all but 2 of them were laid off, changed jobs, or quit throughout a 2 year project, it's pretty clear that the problem was not with Stout's custom development team.

Cons

No central office, but if you're a qualified, reliable telework developer, they WILL allow 100% teleworking. Unfortunately, having a scattered 1099 paid team can lead to more frequent turnover.

None of this applies to recruiting arm, which I believe is the best in class.

Company namesake didn't bring much to the table, but he also has a pretty keen eye for talent, so nothing's really getting knocked off the table either. He leads by letting the smart people be themselves.

Advice to Management

Your core dev team is top notch. The recruiters are responsive. Project coordination is very good. 2 tiered business model lowers risks, but also limits the ceiling of the custom development work. Would like to see smaller, full time dev teams to reduce churn. Charge more and push back and stop doing work for free.

Recruiting side is fantastic. You've placed me twice in less than a week each time. That's awesome.

3. "SAS Programmer"

Current Employee - SAS Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - SAS Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They headhunter the perfect job as a programmer with room for promotion. Professional and no hidden agenda or fees

Cons

None. I would recommend them to anyone in a tech, data or IT field.

4. "Excellent experience with Stout."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Java) in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Java) in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

I recently concluded a software engineering assignment arranged by Stout -- at a large global corporation. The experience dealing with Stout Systems staff was very positive. The Stout team was very genuine and attentive, and overall a pleasure to work with.

Cons

None. The erperiene was positive form beginning to end.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Good company. They helped me to find me a desirable permanent position with a future perspectives.

Cons

I can only give positive output. No negative I can provide

Advice to Management

Very positive

6. "helped me get a job"

Current Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Very effective in finding opportunities.
    Presented me in excellent light at these employment opportunities.
    No pressure.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

7. "A Pleasure To Work With"

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

Pros

No pressure. They contacted me only with positions that met my criteria. Any questions they were right there. I worked with many on the staff while the interview process was underway and they all were top notch. I just can't say enough about how happy I was that Stout was the only recruitment firm I was active with. They found me the position that met every criteria I had and I couldn't be happier.

Cons

There are no cons with my experience using Stout as my recruiting firm.

8. "One of the best recruitment firms I've worked with"

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer

Pros

I wasn't really an employee of Stout's but I worked with them through their recruitment process. They kept in constant contact with me. They understood my skill level and they listened to what I was looking for in a job. They never submitted a resume to a company without my explicit permission and they always described the job in full detail before asking if I wanted to submit my resume.

This is not the type of place where they throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Their methods were very calculated and as a result of their excellent communication and listening they placed me in an absolutely perfect opportunity.

It truly felt like Stout was working for my best interests the entire time. If I ever find myself in the job market again Stout will get the very first resume I send out!

Thank you Stout!

Cons

No downsides at all working through their recruitment process. I'm very happy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Excellent company, great people, and great insight"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Agile, fast placement, smart people cooperating to do the right thing. These guys placed me in the perfect fit opportunity where I was converted to full-time permanent employment almost immediately. Everybody I worked with at Stout was the highest caliber of competence and a pleasure to interact with. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them again, or to recommend them to other engineers, or to clients.

Cons

I didn't encounter any cons.

Advice to Management

I agree with other reviewers: keep doing what you're doing now

10. "Will go the extra mile to attract top talent"

Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was recently placed in a permanent, full time position with Stout Systems. After being considered by Stout's representatives six months earlier, I took the chance and contacted them; they were more than thrilled that I was back on the market and I landed in a new position with a great and established company with all that I asked for!

Cons

There are no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in regards to perseverance.