Stout Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John W. Stout

1. "Best placement service for IT folks in Michigan"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Stout Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

These guys are phenomenal judges of talent. I have been placed at 2 full time jobs within days of submission. Less known is that Stout Systems also has a custom development team that deploys complex systems with some of the most reasonable rates in the industry. I worked directly with them on a poorly scoped project, but frankly, the client was exceedingly dysfunctional. They made the best of it, but when the client steering committee had 15 members (client employees), and all but 2 of them were laid off, changed jobs, or quit throughout a 2 year project, it's pretty clear that the problem was not with Stout's custom development team.

Cons

No central office, but if you're a qualified, reliable telework developer, they WILL allow 100% teleworking. Unfortunately, having a scattered 1099 paid team can lead to more frequent turnover.

None of this applies to recruiting arm, which I believe is the best in class.

Company namesake didn't bring much to the table, but he also has a pretty keen eye for talent, so nothing's really getting knocked off the table either. He leads by letting the smart people be themselves.

Advice to Management

Your core dev team is top notch. The recruiters are responsive. Project coordination is very good. 2 tiered business model lowers risks, but also limits the ceiling of the custom development work. Would like to see smaller, full time dev teams to reduce churn. Charge more and push back and stop doing work for free.

Recruiting side is fantastic. You've placed me twice in less than a week each time. That's awesome.

2. "SAS Programmer"

Current Employee - SAS Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - SAS Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They headhunter the perfect job as a programmer with room for promotion. Professional and no hidden agenda or fees

Cons

None. I would recommend them to anyone in a tech, data or IT field.

3. "Excellent experience with Stout."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Java) in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Java) in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

I recently concluded a software engineering assignment arranged by Stout -- at a large global corporation. The experience dealing with Stout Systems staff was very positive. The Stout team was very genuine and attentive, and overall a pleasure to work with.

Cons

None. The erperiene was positive form beginning to end.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Good company. They helped me to find me a desirable permanent position with a future perspectives.

Cons

I can only give positive output. No negative I can provide

Advice to Management

Very positive

6. "helped me get a job"

Current Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Very effective in finding opportunities.
    Presented me in excellent light at these employment opportunities.
    No pressure.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

7. "Excellent company, great people, and great insight"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Agile, fast placement, smart people cooperating to do the right thing. These guys placed me in the perfect fit opportunity where I was converted to full-time permanent employment almost immediately. Everybody I worked with at Stout was the highest caliber of competence and a pleasure to interact with. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them again, or to recommend them to other engineers, or to clients.

Cons

I didn't encounter any cons.

Advice to Management

I agree with other reviewers: keep doing what you're doing now

8. "Will go the extra mile to attract top talent"

Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was recently placed in a permanent, full time position with Stout Systems. After being considered by Stout's representatives six months earlier, I took the chance and contacted them; they were more than thrilled that I was back on the market and I landed in a new position with a great and established company with all that I asked for!

Cons

There are no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in regards to perseverance.

9. "Great people. Stout is a large cut above the typical technical recruiter / consultant."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time

Pros

Stout's staff knows their market extremely well. In addition, they are genuinely interested in finding a great fit between the needs/requirements of their clients, and the skills/needs of their candidates/consultants. Rather than being driven by the bottom line, they are instead driven by solid values, by "doing the right thing", and by establishing long, mutually beneficial relationships.

Cons

Their benefits plan has some room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "Stout put me in the right place at the right time!"

Current Employee - Seasoned Engineering Role in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Seasoned Engineering Role in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Excellent* person to person management! Extremely non-invasive on a personal level. However (where it counts) extremely familiar with and conscience of my skill set. Because when all is said and done, Stout is completely connected to the market. They knew exactly when to call me in for a position that is a precise fit and that is exactly why you need recruiter because you simply can't be everywhere at once and still excel in your field. --- Almost no job interview process anxiety, (basically none whatsoever) no time for it, had to start working immediately - just the way you would dream it to be - more than twice (formerly I chose shorter assignments) and now have a very n-i-i-i-i-i-c-e permanent role. I'm here until retirement I think (and hope). Thank you Stout!

Cons

Ummmm let's see nope can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and we'll *all* be working AND happy :-)

11. "Small enough to be personal, but with opportunities and benefits of a much larger shop"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Stout Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm in my third year as a consultant with Stout Systems; during my time I've received great support from senior management, superior compensation, and solid benefits.

The company has done a good job in discussing future opportunities well before current contracts are up. So I’ve been able to focus on work without worrying about what’s next.

Cons

There hasn't been as many varied opportunities in my field as I would've liked.