Supportive Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Smith

1. "Wouldn't recommend"

I have been working at Supportive Concepts full-time

Pros

The schedulesame avaliable allow it easy to have this as a second job or attend school while working.

Cons

The pay is awful and not a good benefits package. A lacknowledge of communication from office personnel to house employees.

Advice to Management

Take more pride in employees in the houses because they are the foundation of the company and without them there would be no company.

2. "Couldn't wait to get out"

Former Employee - Home Specialist in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Home Specialist in Reading, PA

I worked at Supportive Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job and it paid more than unemployment. Some of my coworkers were nice. Not much good about supportive concepts.

Cons

This company did not care about its employees one bit. I got punched by a consumer and was threatened by the same one. A couple months later a supervisor tried to bully me into working with that consumer again. This place was great motivation to get back to college. If you are thinking about work here, don't

Advice to Management

Care about the employees just a smidge more than nothing and you might not lose all the good ones.

3. "not a great experience"

Current Employee - Residential Specialist in Leesport, PA
    Current Employee - Residential Specialist in Leesport, PA

I have been working at Supportive Concepts (More than a year)

Pros

there isn't good benefits from this job at all

Cons

the pay is not good at all, the job sucks

5. "TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Reading, PA

I worked at Supportive Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid training. Easy way to get a few paychecks and then LEAVE. A lot of hours available (because no one wants to work) beware

Cons

Where do I start... NO RAISES you can work here for 10 years and still be at the same rate. Bonuses are a joke & when they actually do dish it out they rape you in taxes and distribute it unfairly. One year someone got $20? Really?! While the office members got THOUSANDS! Horrible benefits, ppl fight for PTO, maternity leave,etc. Consumers are very violent and the supervisors don't warn you because they are scared too and can't find ppl to work. When you get injured they try to fire you so they don't have to pay you. Staff relieving you from a shift isn't promised so an 8hr shift can easily turn into a 16 regardless of that fact that you have to get home. They don't care. The consumers are neglected poorly smh this company "covers" a lot especially when state comes it's ridiculous. Staff are like prostitutes ...I'll just leave it from here STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Stop scamming, why don't you give any raises? Why does one person get a $20 "bonus" and office staff gets thousands? I can't wait till IRS catches up to this company! why aren't the consumers receiving the proper medical treatment needed?

6. "Exceedingly unprofessional environment"

Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Reading, PA

I worked at Supportive Concepts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and an abundance of overtime

Cons

High turnover rate, exceedingly disorganized, favoritism overrides work ethic and loyalty, employees are put in dangerous situations (many residents tend to be violent and mentally unstable) with no support or adequate training, Company policies are outdated, do not address serious problems with management structure and the influx of residents with psychological problems better handled by an asylum. Management is mostly promoted from within, and chosen based on popularity not education. Management tends to be unsophisticated and small minded.

Advice to Management

The company needs a complete overhaul. The owners need to employee outside consultants since there obvious lack of management skills has caused a shortage of employees. This company is so desperate to attract a work force they are offering bonuses.

7. "Utterly Deplorable"

Current Employee - Residential Specialist in Reading, PA

I have been working at Supportive Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Training and Good First Step Towards Something Better.

Cons

Completely Disorganized, Unfair Practices As Far As Raises And Opportunities Within The Company, Crude Behavior From Coworkers and Management, Blatant Shows Of Discrimination, Understaffed, No Support For Staff, Lack Of Protection For Staff, Unfair Treatment Of Consumers, Caught Up In Sticking To Their Protocols Despite Their Erroneous Nature And Lack Of Effectiveness, Unfair Pay And Strong Focus On Upper Management Making Money Instead Of Putting It To Good Use Where It Is Most Needed, As A Staff Member I Was Always Made To Feel Second Rate To My Superiors Who Tout Their Money And Station.

Advice to Management

Learn To Put Your Consumers And Your Staff FIRST Instead Of Being Greedy For Money.

"Needs stronger and less biased leadsership."

Current Employee - Worked In Program in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Worked In Program in Reading, PA

I have been working at Supportive Concepts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation
    Vacation Time
    Well kept facilities
    Innovative
    Growing company

Cons

Favoritisim
    Medical Benefits
    Promotions based on likability, not education or experience
    Creating positions within the office that eventually become non-existent

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership who can make sound decisions

9. "My experience at Supportive concepts is somewhat satisfying."

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Reading, PA

Pros

The pay rate is much better than other organizations in the area. The work schedule is flexable and the consumers are great to work with.

Cons

The benefits package can be better I have had other packages that were much better for the employees. The culture of the organization is very open the CEO is a person that is someone that staff of all levels can go to sometimes worry free.

Advice to Management

The recruitment process could be better.

10. "Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

Pros

Pay rate its pretty dessent and the shifts are great

Cons

The management in the company have a big preference on employees, in other words they preffer the ones that suck up the MOST.

Advice to Management

Stop being so pregitive towards employees and treat everyone equally

11. "This is a temporary job do not make it a career."

Current Employee - Residential Specialist
    Current Employee - Residential Specialist

I have been working at Supportive Concepts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for the past 3.5 almost 4 years. I am in my 20s and the flexible schedule works for my college schedue.

*flexible hours

Cons

There are many cons.
    * They may pay well, in comparison to a fast food restaurant. Keep in mind that they have been on a pay freeze for the past 4 years. So let's say you were hired at 10.50. Enjoy that for a few years and have a very real risk of seriously injuring yourself. I personally km now a woman who was beaten by a consumer and is In cast. Another who broke her hand. I myself have been physically attacked numerous times.

Also they no longer want to pay to shovel the facilities and are requiring that staff shovel the driveways and walkways. But they threaten to terminate a staff for being out of ratio for a minute to turn on their car at the end of the shift so it can warm up. The ratio doesn't seem to matter when they make us shovel or we can't leave cause the snow has barracaded the cars in. PTO is a joke. If you are a college student who was to work part time it's good. Please keep moving. Do not trap yourself here. They truly do not care for the employees. I could not imagine relying on this company to pay bills or support a family. My parents would never work for this company.
    I am leaving for another job that pays me more and I don't have to shovel or get beat. I have real benefits and I can actually get a rise. Imagine that!

Advice to Management

Do onto others as you would have done onto you.